Local - 3.35 pm NZ

WHERE:
Auckland, NZ

VENUE

Eden Park , Auckland

MATCH OFFICIALS:

Referee: Brendon Pickerill

TEAMS:

Blues: Matt Duffie, Mark Telea, Rieko Ioane, TJ Faiane, Caleb Clarke, Beauden Barrett, Finlay Christie, Akira Ioane, Dalton Papalii, Blake Gibson, Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, Patrick Tuipulotu (c), Ofa Tuungafasi, Kurt Eklund, Alex Hodgman. Reserves: Luteru Tolai, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Sione Mafileo, Josh Goodhue, Tony Lamborn, Sam Nock, Otere Black, Harry Plummer.

Chiefs: Damian McKenzie, Sean Wainui, Anton Lienert-Brown, Alex Nankivell, Solomon Alaimalo, Kaleb Trask, Brad Weber, Pita Gus Sowakula, Sam Cane (c), Lachlan Boshier, Mitchell Brown, Tupou Vaa’i, Nepo Laulala, Bradley Slater, Reuben O’Neill. Reserves: Samisoni Taukei’aho, Ollie Norris, Ross Geldenhuys, Adam Thomson, Mitchell Karpik, Lisati Milo-Harris, Aaron Cruden, Quinn Tupaea.
Last edited by FujiKiwi on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:07 am, edited 27 times in total.
FujiKiwi

Sorry, please bear with me as I learn how to do this. Obviously a noob.
Enzedder

FujiKiwi wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:20 am Sorry, please bear with me as I learn how to do this. Obviously a noob.
{img] image address copied to here [/im g]
I drink and I forget things.
FujiKiwi

Enzedder wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:29 am
FujiKiwi wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:20 am Sorry, please bear with me as I learn how to do this. Obviously a noob.
{img] image address copied to here [/im g]
Thanks Enz. Working at it!

EDIT: Although I'm now trying to enter a copied link from Imgur and it's still not showing?

EXTRA EDIT: Sorry lads, just waiting on some cavalry to ride in and teach me how to link photos properly.
Caley_Red

A n00b with the highest post count on NPR :grin:

Looking forward to this one- given the relative records, strongly favouring the Blues!
And on the 7th day, the Lord said "Let there be Finn Russell".
FujiKiwi

I JUST DON'T GET HOW TO SHARE IMAGES, DAMMIT!

It's so frustrating. As a fan of the home team, I know the onus is on me for a good OP. Can't shirk it, but bloody hell, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Good pictures make an OP. I'm going to Imgur (Thought I don't see many good photos there) and other sites, copying the links and putting them between the image code thing. Nothing shows. What am I doing wrong?
Ymx

FujiKiwi wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:19 am WHEN:
Sun 25th Jul

KICK OFF:
Local - 3.35 pm NZ

WHERE:
Auckland, NZ

VENUE:
Eden Park , Auckland

MATCH OFFICIALS:

TBD

TEAMS:

TBD
Ymx

For the top 2 images you were using a link to the page.

To get the image link depends on your browser.

On iPhone chrome have to hold down on image and choose open image in new tab, then go to that tab and copy the link.

On pc it is by right clicking image and getting the image url.

But the teams link didn’t seem to go anywhere apart from a kind of error page. So I couldn’t fix that for you.
FujiKiwi

YMX, thank you so much.

I'm the only Blues supporter who's a regular on NNPR, as far as I can tell.

As the only follower of the true faith, I need to learn how to do this for home games. Will try again.

Thanks a million.
Auckman

We are due a famous victory. Getting sick of losing.
FujiKiwi

Auckman wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:18 am We are due a famous victory. Getting sick of losing.
After 17 years it does start to rankle a bit.

EDIT: Unless you're ironically talking about the two losses on the trot we've had these past two weeks. Me whooshed.
Monkey Magic

Any news on the injuries in the blues?

Including whatever head injury Mcdonald has that plummer keeps starting
FujiKiwi

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:41 am Any news on the injuries in the blues?

New Zealand Herald seems to have an article on Blues injuries, but it's behind a paywall. Nothing on Stuff about it.

EDIT: This on News Hub seems to suggest Sotutu and Clarke will be back. It's also got a bit of Barrett spanking on about how he wants to be a 10.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/20 ... njury.html
If Black is set for a stint on the sidelines, Barrett is more than happy to fill the void at first-five, a position where he hasn't started in since last year's Rugby Championship.

"I enjoyed that role and it's obviously my preferred position," he says. "I've been training there for the second half of trainings in case Otere got injured.

"I'm just happy to be playing where I can get ball in hand, that's where I feel that I have more influence."
The injury to Black also opens the door for Dan Carter to feature at some point, but he must overcome his calf injury to feature in any of the Blues' three remaining games in Super Rugby Aotearoa.

Carter was initially named on the bench for the Hurricanes clash, but felt a tightening of the calf during training on Thursday and was later ruled out, with MacDonald saying they didn't want to risk further injury.

Whether Carter will feature in the Blues' next match against the Chiefs remains unclear, but MacDonald expects No. 8 Hoskins Sotutu and wing Caleb Clarke to return for the clash.

Sotutu missed the match against the Hurricanes with a knee injury, while Clarke attended his grandfather's funeral.
Monkey Magic

FujiKiwi wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:16 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:41 am Any news on the injuries in the blues?

New Zealand Herald seems to have an article on Blues injuries, but it's behind a paywall. Nothing on Stuff about it.

EDIT: This on News Hub seems to suggest Sotutu and Clarke will be back. It's also got a bit of Barrett spanking on about how he wants to be a 10.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/20 ... njury.html
If Black is set for a stint on the sidelines, Barrett is more than happy to fill the void at first-five, a position where he hasn't started in since last year's Rugby Championship.

"I enjoyed that role and it's obviously my preferred position," he says. "I've been training there for the second half of trainings in case Otere got injured.

"I'm just happy to be playing where I can get ball in hand, that's where I feel that I have more influence."
The injury to Black also opens the door for Dan Carter to feature at some point, but he must overcome his calf injury to feature in any of the Blues' three remaining games in Super Rugby Aotearoa.

Carter was initially named on the bench for the Hurricanes clash, but felt a tightening of the calf during training on Thursday and was later ruled out, with MacDonald saying they didn't want to risk further injury.

Whether Carter will feature in the Blues' next match against the Chiefs remains unclear, but MacDonald expects No. 8 Hoskins Sotutu and wing Caleb Clarke to return for the clash.

Sotutu missed the match against the Hurricanes with a knee injury, while Clarke attended his grandfather's funeral.
You're a gent :thumbup:
I hope Barrett has blinder at 10.

Interesting this deep in the competition to see how different teams are going injury wise and who they have had step up. Saders seem to be dropping like flies
Enzedder

I have pinched the OP for across the road as well (slackers didn't have a thread yet)
FujiKiwi

Enzedder wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:58 am I have pinched the OP for across the road as well (slackers didn't have a thread yet)
:thumbup:
FujiKiwi

BLUES: Matt Duffie, Mark Telea, Rieko Ioane, TJ Faiane, Caleb Clarke, Beauden Barrett, Finlay Christie; Akira Ioane, Dalton Papalii, Blake Gibson, Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, Patrick Tuipulotu (capt), Ofa Tuungafasi, Kurt Eklund, Alex Hodgman. Reserves: Luteru Tolai, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Sione Mafileo, Josh Goodhue, Tony Lamborn, Sam Nock, Otere Black, Harry Plummer.
Still no Hoskins Sotutu, that's a loss. Good to see TJ Faiane starting.
CHIEFS: Damian McKenzie, Sean Wainui, Anton Lienert-Brown, Alex Nankivell, Solomon Alaimalo, Kaleb Trask, Brad Weber, Pita Gus Sowakula, Sam Cane (c), Lachlan Boshier, Mitchell Brown, Tupou Vaa’i, Nepo Laulala, Bradley Slater, Reuben O’Neill. Reserves: Samisoni Taukei’aho, Ollie Norris, Ross Geldenhuys, Adam Thomson, Mitchell Karpik, Lisati Milo-Harris, Aaron Cruden, Quinn Tupaea.
That's a powerful looking 6,7 and 8 for the Chiefs. A strength in their game for sure. Akira had better step up.
Monkey Magic

Chiefs are better than their results, blues need to remind their MOJO. And the weather should be good, hope the crowd turns up.

What has happened to Alaimalo, gone off the boil or just surpassed by younger guys coming through, he's no longer mentioned in AB discussions
FujiKiwi

Wieners in the guillotiners:

Blues by 5
Caley_Red

Blues by >7 for me
And on the 7th day, the Lord said "Let there be Finn Russell".
Enzedder

Caley_Red wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:12 am Blues by >7 for me
Have to agree - Chiefs tight 5 are comparatively weak.
Auckman

I take it Hoskins is still injured?
FujiKiwi

Auckman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:57 am I take it Hoskins is still injured?
None of the kiwi news websites seem to mention it. But I assume so.
Auckman

He is a loss.

It'll be interesting to see how BB goes at 10. Carter still not in. I don't think he is ever going to get more than 5mins in the last round is he?
Monkey Magic

Auckman wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:04 am He is a loss.

It'll be interesting to see how BB goes at 10. Carter still not in. I don't think he is ever going to get more than 5mins in the last round is he?
Winning drop kick vs crusaders to clinch the title?

Noice
Auckman

Monkey Magic wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:08 am

Noice
Would be great but I reckon he'll deliberately miss. He's not that silly he still has family down there.
Jimmy Smallsteps

You know that when the Chiefs backs rush Beady and he duffs it so predictably, the apologists will say he hasn't been playing there often enough.

:lol:

Jesus Christ I can see it now.
Jimmy Smallsteps

If Gatland has any brains, and I know he does, he says to Cane, the loose forward trio, ALB and co to harry Barrett at every opportunity.

Not a single break. Hit him, and hit him hard. Pressure every run, pressure every kick.

That will be half the game right there.

I don't rate Beaudy at 10 against decent opposition, but I do rate Beaudy at 10 with space.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Monkey Magic wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:08 am

Noice
Carter is a consummate professional and would do the job. Played club rugger for Southbridge in a dominant win the other week. Would calmly kick a winning goal against the Crusaders and no one would think poorly of him for doing so. Always been a champ for his side.
FujiKiwi

Wow, thanks to whoever updated the OP to make it look even cooler. Very razzle-dazzle! :thumbup:
JM2K6

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:39 pm If Gatland has any brains, and I know he does, he says to Cane, the loose forward trio, ALB and co to harry Barrett at every opportunity.

Not a single break. Hit him, and hit him hard. Pressure every run, pressure every kick.

I don't rate Beaudy at 10 against decent opposition, but I do rate Beaudy at 10 with space.
Isn't it more about pressuring his "out" ball? He's never really had any qualms over passing early to avoid pressure, but if he has to decide between a harder / 50-50 pass or keeping hold of it then life gets interesting.
Jimmy Smallsteps

JM2K6 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:46 pm
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:39 pm If Gatland has any brains, and I know he does, he says to Cane, the loose forward trio, ALB and co to harry Barrett at every opportunity.

Isn't it more about pressuring his "out" ball? He's never really had any qualms over passing early to avoid pressure, but if he has to decide between a harder / 50-50 pass or keeping hold of it then life gets interesting.
Fair, I think you're just going in more specifically on what I was saying.

I don't think Barrett is a test quality 10. Stopgap 10, Starting 15, bench player, yes. Starting 10? No.
FujiKiwi

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:41 pm Carter is a consummate professional and would do the job. Played club rugger for Southbridge in a dominant win the other week. Would calmly kick a winning goal against the Crusaders and no one would think poorly of him for doing so. Always been a champ for his side.
While it would be nice to see Blues stalwart Dan Carter guide the team around the park, we are talking in this case of a man who was at his peak in 2005.
Jimmy Smallsteps

FujiKiwi wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:50 pm
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:41 pm Carter is a consummate professional and would do the job. Played club rugger for Southbridge in a dominant win the other week. Would calmly kick a winning goal against the Crusaders and no one would think poorly of him for doing so. Always been a champ for his side.
While it would be nice to see Blues stalwart Dan Carter guide the team around the park, we are talking in this case of a man who was at his peak in 2005.
Are you criticising me or coach Leon MacDonald for signing him?
FujiKiwi

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:53 pm
FujiKiwi wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:50 pm
Are you criticising me or coach Leon MacDonald for signing him?
I'm not criticizing anyone. He's a talismanic Blues icon, like Rangitoto Island. His job is just to sit there, looking impressive, old and immoveable.
FujiKiwi

But seriously, I agree Beauden at 10 isn't the answer. I'd start Black.
Jimmy Smallsteps

P.S. You know of course, that if the Chiefs show poor fortitude, show they're down on their luck, and Barrett has a field day, that the know nothing Kiwi supporters will take that as proof that he should have been 10 all along and would have won the Rugby World Cup in 2019.

It is written.

Unfortunately we have idiot supporters too.
Jimmy Smallsteps

FujiKiwi wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:56 pm But seriously, I agree Beauden at 10 isn't the answer. I'd start Black.
He's injured. It's probably the right call to start Barrett at this level, but the likes of the know nothing cunt Devlin wanking himself into a frenzy gives me the shits.
FujiKiwi

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:57 pm P.S. You know of course, that if the Chiefs show poor fortitude, show they're down on their luck, and Barrett has a field day, that the know nothing Kiwi supporters will take that as proof that he should have been 10 all along and would have won the Rugby World Cup in 2019.

It is written.

Unfortunately we have idiot supporters too.
The Chiefs were down on the luck from the day Warren Gatland touched down at Hamilton airport.

I don't think there are that many homegrown fans who think Barrett would have offered anything more at 10 than a tasty snack for Maro Itoje.

It's the overseas clowns like Stuart Barnes who bang that drum.
FujiKiwi

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:58 pm
FujiKiwi wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:56 pm But seriously, I agree Beauden at 10 isn't the answer. I'd start Black.
He's injured. It's probably the right call to start Barrett at this level, but the likes of the know nothing cunt Devlin wanking himself into a frenzy gives me the shits.
Black's on the bench. What is he on the bench for if he's injured?

Plummer can cover 10 if necessary. Having Plummer, Black and Barrett all in the 23 seems a bit odd.