Official Lions selection, moaning and bitching thread

Where goats go to escape
Lobby

Kawazaki wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:01 pm
clydecloggie wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:16 am Did someone genuinely call Farrell a good defender?

I guess given the size of the Boks his natural tackle height would be chest-high for a change, so there's that.

He is a good defender. There are missed tackles on his stats but that doesn't really tell the full story of how he defends - particularly as a 10.
A lot of his missed tackles are from when he rushes out of the defensive line, so rather different to being a turnstile or a weak tackler like O’Gara or Garbajosa.
sockwithaticket

Slick wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:24 am Talking of defence, I see Owen Slot has decided IrnDu can't tour because of his weak defence :crazy:
I haven't seen that much of him, but his positioning and aerial play look potentially problematic, particularly against a side like the Boks who'll give the ball plenty of time in the sky.
Uncle fester

Lobby wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:19 pm
Kawazaki wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:01 pm
clydecloggie wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:16 am Did someone genuinely call Farrell a good defender?

I guess given the size of the Boks his natural tackle height would be chest-high for a change, so there's that.

He is a good defender. There are missed tackles on his stats but that doesn't really tell the full story of how he defends - particularly as a 10.
A lot of his missed tackles are from when he rushes out of the defensive line, so rather different to being a turnstile or a weak tackler like O’Gara or Garbajosa.
Missed an absolute clanger v Ireland for one of the tries and those are the ones that stick in the mind.
Yr Alban

Tichtheid wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:50 am
Slick wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:24 am Talking of defence, I see Owen Slot has decided IrnDu can't tour because of his weak defence :crazy:

I looked this up the other week because someone else said this, iirc vdMerwe missed fewer tackles than any other winger in contention for the Lions, he also scored more tries than anyone else and only Dulin made more metres with ball in hand
He did. I think he missed 3 tackles all tournament. IIRC, Rees-Zammit missed 7, and also scored fewer tries, and is regarded as a shoo-in.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Slick

Yr Alban wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:53 pm

I looked this up the other week because someone else said this, iirc vdMerwe missed fewer tackles than any other winger in contention for the Lions, he also scored more tries than anyone else and only Dulin made more metres with ball in hand
He did. I think he missed 3 tackles all tournament. IIRC, Rees-Zammit missed 7, and also scored fewer tries, and is regarded as a shoo-in.
RZ missed 9 according to 6N stats.

I like RZ, and I think he will be great but everyone keeps going on about the try he scored against Scotland. It was a pretty ordinary try really.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
frodder

Slick wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:56 pm

I like RZ, and I think he will be great but everyone keeps going on about the try he scored against Scotland. It was a pretty ordinary try really.
Ordinary :thumbup:
Biffer

frodder wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:39 pm

Ordinary :thumbup:
To be fair, it was a kick and chase and he’s rapid. Wasn’t something outrageous though.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Yr Alban

Sorry, I meant 9. FFS, I went through the stats enough times...

LRZ is certainly quick and he pulled off a couple of flashy finishes. But I’d still prefer to have IrnDu in my side, because sheer physical power will get you results when trickery doesn’t.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
dpedin

He's Welsh!
Margin__Walker

Cam Redpath and Will Stuart also apparently have long list letters according to a Telegraph journo on Twitter.
Tichtheid

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:27 am Cam Redpath and Will Stuart also apparently have long list letters according to a Telegraph journo on Twitter.

I don't think the Lions are exactly bursting with world class depth at prop, after Furlong there aren't too many B&I shouts for an Earth XV v Mars Select.

Redpath is a real player, maybe still a bit callow, but he has lots of time on his side, I think he only just turned 21 before the 6N.
Yr Alban

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:27 am Cam Redpath and Will Stuart also apparently have long list letters according to a Telegraph journo on Twitter.
I’d have said ‘nae chance’ for Redpath, but apparently Martin Johnson was picked for the Lions after one England cap, so who knows?
JM2K6

I wondered about Redpath. Stuart I'm surprised by, I just Don't See It (tm) right now.

On the Russell/Ford defensive stuff - Ford didn't play in the Scotland game (Farrell 5/3) so no easy head-to-head, but both players played 4 matches. Russell made more tackles but also missed more - 20% to Ford's 18%. Both players have one outlier - Ford v Italy, where he went 2/2, and Russell v Ireland, where he went 13/5. Both of these skew the stats.

Tis very likely that Russell is a better tackler purely based on size but Ford usually makes around 6 tackles a match for England and frequently only misses 1 or none. In the previous year's 6N, he played four matches and made 24 tackles and missed 3 - that's an 89% success rate. And all 3 missed tackles came in one match - until then he'd made 17 in a row without missing one.

There's no evidence to suggest Ford hides in international rugby, or that he's more likely to miss a tackle than Russell is.

Smith is another question entirely, he's as lightweight as Ford but younger and less experienced, and more likely to try and smash someone and come off second best. Definitely a trier, and it's absolutely true that he might get exposed at international level and there's no way for us to know right now. Can definitely confirm he doesn't hide in defence, though.

Edit: To be clear, I don't think Smith should be in the frame for the Lions. Sam Simmonds, as the previous Premiership and European Player of the Season who tore it up against all comers at the highest level of club rugby? Yes, for sure. But the Lions have a heap of international 10s who could do a good job for them. Ford, Russell, Biggar, even Sexton and Sheedy all have good reasons to travel.
Tichtheid

Yr Alban wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:49 am
I’d have said ‘nae chance’ for Redpath, but apparently Martin Johnson was picked for the Lions after one England cap, so who knows?

I thought Guscott was called up for the Lions before he was capped for England but his wiki page tells me that he'd played against Romania just before flying out to join the tour in Oz.
Last edited by Tichtheid on Wed May 05, 2021 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
JM2K6

Jason Robinson came close. Don't think he'd started a match for England when he played for the Lions.
Tichtheid

JM2K6 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:08 am Jason Robinson came close. Don't think he'd started a match for England when he played for the Lions.
What a player.

I swear I saw him change direction in mid air once.
JM2K6

Tichtheid wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:10 am
JM2K6 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:08 am Jason Robinson came close. Don't think he'd started a match for England when he played for the Lions.
What a player.

That's how I describe that try against France when we were looking dead and buried. Just give it to Jason against 3-4 defenders, he steps one way, and somehow in the air changes direction the other way. Absolutely mad.

The try against Latham in the first Lions Test is one of those pure "fucking yes!" sporting moments.
Rhubarb & Custard

JM2K6 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:13 am
What a player.

That's how I describe that try against France when we were looking dead and buried. Just give it to Jason against 3-4 defenders, he steps one way, and somehow in the air changes direction the other way. Absolutely mad.

The try against Latham in the first Lions Test is one of those pure "fucking yes!" sporting moments.
I like that opening Lions try because he'd spent all tour until that moment stepping off his left, curtailing his instincts in other games just to give him a setup wherein Latham knew from their analysis Robinson would always go to the inside or off his left in that position. Very few players think like that, and still less would be able to act on it so cleanly

And the France try where he was the one man on the short side against 3 defenders and he scored without being touched, normally I'd just be very cross with the French defence going all French, but that one is so stupid even I'm happy with it.
Jock42

JM2K6

Jock42 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:09 am
One would hope he goes better than Maitland as a Lion (and probably as a Scottish international, to be fair)
Slick

JM2K6 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:10 am
One would hope he goes better than Maitland as a Lion (and probably as a Scottish international, to be fair)
Maitland has had a great Scotland career. He had a bit of a lull a couple of years back that cooincided with some really exciting young back 3 players coming through and I think most thought he was done. But the last couple of years I'd say he would be on most peoples team sheets as a starter due to the control he brings, and defence, in a team thats throwing the ball about.
JM2K6

Slick wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:59 pm
Maitland has had a great Scotland career. He had a bit of a lull a couple of years back that cooincided with some really exciting young back 3 players coming through and I think most thought he was done. But the last couple of years I'd say he would be on most peoples team sheets as a starter due to the control he brings, and defence, in a team thats throwing the ball about.
Sure. But the hope is that Redpath is a generational talent, no? Maitland's been a good international for Scotland. Redpath could be a great one.
Kawazaki

Slick wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Great career full stop. Two Premierships and Two European Cups as well.
Slick

The Scottish Lions
data gurus OPTA have created a list of the top English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh international performers since the beginning of last year based on statistics. Two players in each position were selected using an algorithm which analysed every action of every home-nations player during the time period, and awarded a point value to that action based on its relevance in the match’s context.

Any action from a carry, beaten defender or try, to a tackle, lineout steal or turnover was analysed to generate two XVs. The algorithm’s only prerequisite was for each player to have played more than 400 international minutes during the 15 months.

15 Stuart Hogg (Scotland)
Second XV: Hugo Keenan (Ireland)

Hogg has unfinished business with the Lions after a freak eye injury cut his tour short in 2017. Since the beginning of 2020, the Scotland captain has made more carries than any other back, gained more metres than any other player, and has beaten 53 defenders. He and Duhan van der Merwe (54) are the only home-nations players to have beaten more than 30 during that period.

14 Louis Rees-Zammit (Wales)
Second XV: James Lowe (Ireland)

The lightning wing, a star of this year’s Six Nations, averages 9.3 metres per carry since the beginning of 2020, the best of any home-nations player. The 20-year-old ranks first for clean breaks (15) and second for try involvements (five tries, three assists).

13 Robbie Henshaw (Ireland)
Second XV: Nick Tompkins (Wales)

12 Sam Johnson (Scotland)
Second XV: Bundee Aki (Ireland)

Opta specifically highlighted how little separated a group of centres that also included Jonathan Davies and Henry Slade, but Henshaw and Johnson’s excellent Six Nations meant they made the cut. Johnson has beaten the second-most defenders among centres since 2020 and has an 86 per cent tackle success rate in that time.

11 Duhan van der Merwe (Scotland)
Second XV: Jonny May (England)

The “Jock Bok” beat 31 defenders in this year’s Six Nations, surpassing the record that Ireland’s Brian O’Driscoll set for the most in a single campaign (30) in 2000. The 25-year-old has scored more tries (eight) than any other home-nations player since the beginning of 2020, and scored the most tries in this year’s Six Nations (five) as well.

10 Dan Biggar (Wales)
Second XV: Adam Hastings (Scotland)

Biggar’s tally of nine try involvements (three tries, six assists) is more than any other home-nations player since the start of 2020. The Northampton Saints fly half was also successful with 83 per cent of his kicks at goal, bettered only by Johnny Sexton (86 per cent), during the same period (minimum 15 kicks). The algorithm overlooked Scotland’s Finn Russell because he played fewer than 400 minutes.

9 Ali Price (Scotland)
Second XV: Conor Murray (Ireland)

Ben Youngs is Opta’s top-performing scrum half since 2020 but Price makes the cut after the Englishman withdrew himself from contention because of family reasons. In this year’s Six Nations, Price ranked second for try assists (three) behind Antoine Dupont (five), he made more passes than any other player (346), and he had the best tackle success rate (91 per cent) of any of the 16 half backs to attempt more than 15 tackles.

1 Rory Sutherland (Scotland)
Second XV: Mako Vunipola (England)

Sutherland has established himself as one of the most reliable scrummagers in world rugby since earning a recall to the Scotland squad at the beginning of last year. He conceded one scrum penalty across 296 minutes of action during this year’s Six Nations, and ranked second for post-contact metres (43) among props (behind Wyn Jones, with 74).

2 Ken Owens (Wales)
Second XV: Jamie George (England)

3 Kyle Sinckler (England)
Second XV: Zander Fagerson (Scotland)

Sinckler replaced Ireland’s Tadhg Furlong off the bench in all three Lions Tests on the 2017 tour and has played more minutes (885) than any other prop since the start of 2020. The 28-year-old ranks first for tackles and second for carries among props in the 15-month period.

4 Jonny Gray (Scotland)
Second XV: James Ryan (Ireland)

Exeter Chiefs’ tackle machine made 39 out of 39 tackles during this year’s Six Nations — only Hamish Watson made more (60 out of 60) without missing one. Gray was involved in a carry, tackle or ruck 64 times per 80 minutes in the tournament, the highest rate of any player to play more than 200 minutes.

5 Maro Itoje (England)
Second XV: Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)

Tipped by many to be this year’s captain and there is good reason why. Itoje has played the most minutes (1,136) of any home-nations player since the start of 2020 and his 16 turnovers in that period is second only to Watson. He has made five lineout steals, which is bettered only by James Ryan’s six.

6 Tom Curry (England)
Second XV: Tadhg Beirne (Ireland)

Recently dubbed by Matt Proudfoot, the England forwards coach, as the next Richie McCaw. Curry made more dominant tackles (seven) and caused a nuisance at more defensive rucks (15) than any other player during the 2021 Six Nations. Scotland’s Jamie Ritchie came close behind Beirne.

7 Hamish Watson (Scotland)
Second XV: Justin Tipuric (Wales)

The player of the 2021 Six Nations was head and shoulders above every other home-nations player as Opta’s top performer. Watson, 29, is on a run of 149 consecutive successful tackles in the Six Nations, five behind Lionel Nallet’s record. He made more effective contributions at rucks (120) than any other player in this year’s tournament and has won the most turnovers (17) among home-nations players since 2020.

8 CJ Stander (Ireland)
Second XV: Taulupe Faletau (Wales)

The 31-year-old is retiring this summer but was still one of the players of the 2021 Six Nations. After making 72 this year, he has topped the rankings for carries in four of the past five Six Nations. He made more post-contact metres (143) than any other forward in this year’s championship.
Jock42

Thats clearly bullshit Slick as it didn't mention the size of Watson.
Big D

JM2K6 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:13 am
What a player.

I grew up watching Robinson playing for Wigan and remember being disappointed about how he was being treated by some but was delighted to see him do his thing in union.
Woddy

Re that Opta Index XV, it does not factor in blending a team together. However, I'd be delighted with a Gray/Itoje second row. Really rate Gray for the same reasons I do Launchberry: does the basic stuff, exceptionally well (line-outs aside for Launch) and adds general beef.
Yr Alban

Tichtheid wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:07 am
Yr Alban wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:49 am

I thought Guscott was called up for the Lions before he was capped for England but his wiki page tells me that he'd played against Romania just before flying out to join the tour in Oz.
That was Will Greenwood. Made the 1997 squad whilst uncapped by England. Didn’t play in a Test on the tour though.

Jason Robinson could have been a Scotland player. His mum is from Kirkintilloch. His son is actually playing league for Scotland via the same qualification.
Margin__Walker

This is interesting. Thought they may at least have asked the question with Marler. By a distance the best English LH at the moment

Woddy

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:24 pm This is interesting. Thought they may at least have asked the question with Marler. By a distance the best English LH at the moment

Given his (admirable) wish to prioritise family over international duties recently, I'd assume they didn't think it worth considering him.

Youngs apparently is sitting it out for a few personal reasons. A good friend of his has the same thing Doddie Weir's suffered from and he wants to see him while he can (as well as expecting a child).
dpedin

Slick wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:49 pm The Scottish Lions
data gurus OPTA have created a list of the top English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh international performers since the beginning of last year based on statistics. Two players in each position were selected using an algorithm which analysed every action of every home-nations player during the time period, and awarded a point value to that action based on its relevance in the match’s context.

Any action from a carry, beaten defender or try, to a tackle, lineout steal or turnover was analysed to generate two XVs. The algorithm’s only prerequisite was for each player to have played more than 400 international minutes during the 15 months.

15 Stuart Hogg (Scotland)
Second XV: Hugo Keenan (Ireland)

Hogg has unfinished business with the Lions after a freak eye injury cut his tour short in 2017. Since the beginning of 2020, the Scotland captain has made more carries than any other back, gained more metres than any other player, and has beaten 53 defenders. He and Duhan van der Merwe (54) are the only home-nations players to have beaten more than 30 during that period.

14 Louis Rees-Zammit (Wales)
Second XV: James Lowe (Ireland)

The lightning wing, a star of this year’s Six Nations, averages 9.3 metres per carry since the beginning of 2020, the best of any home-nations player. The 20-year-old ranks first for clean breaks (15) and second for try involvements (five tries, three assists).

13 Robbie Henshaw (Ireland)
Second XV: Nick Tompkins (Wales)

12 Sam Johnson (Scotland)
Second XV: Bundee Aki (Ireland)

Opta specifically highlighted how little separated a group of centres that also included Jonathan Davies and Henry Slade, but Henshaw and Johnson’s excellent Six Nations meant they made the cut. Johnson has beaten the second-most defenders among centres since 2020 and has an 86 per cent tackle success rate in that time.

11 Duhan van der Merwe (Scotland)
Second XV: Jonny May (England)

The “Jock Bok” beat 31 defenders in this year’s Six Nations, surpassing the record that Ireland’s Brian O’Driscoll set for the most in a single campaign (30) in 2000. The 25-year-old has scored more tries (eight) than any other home-nations player since the beginning of 2020, and scored the most tries in this year’s Six Nations (five) as well.

10 Dan Biggar (Wales)
Second XV: Adam Hastings (Scotland)

Biggar’s tally of nine try involvements (three tries, six assists) is more than any other home-nations player since the start of 2020. The Northampton Saints fly half was also successful with 83 per cent of his kicks at goal, bettered only by Johnny Sexton (86 per cent), during the same period (minimum 15 kicks). The algorithm overlooked Scotland’s Finn Russell because he played fewer than 400 minutes.

9 Ali Price (Scotland)
Second XV: Conor Murray (Ireland)

Ben Youngs is Opta’s top-performing scrum half since 2020 but Price makes the cut after the Englishman withdrew himself from contention because of family reasons. In this year’s Six Nations, Price ranked second for try assists (three) behind Antoine Dupont (five), he made more passes than any other player (346), and he had the best tackle success rate (91 per cent) of any of the 16 half backs to attempt more than 15 tackles.

1 Rory Sutherland (Scotland)
Second XV: Mako Vunipola (England)

Sutherland has established himself as one of the most reliable scrummagers in world rugby since earning a recall to the Scotland squad at the beginning of last year. He conceded one scrum penalty across 296 minutes of action during this year’s Six Nations, and ranked second for post-contact metres (43) among props (behind Wyn Jones, with 74).

2 Ken Owens (Wales)
Second XV: Jamie George (England)

3 Kyle Sinckler (England)
Second XV: Zander Fagerson (Scotland)

Sinckler replaced Ireland’s Tadhg Furlong off the bench in all three Lions Tests on the 2017 tour and has played more minutes (885) than any other prop since the start of 2020. The 28-year-old ranks first for tackles and second for carries among props in the 15-month period.

4 Jonny Gray (Scotland)
Second XV: James Ryan (Ireland)

Exeter Chiefs’ tackle machine made 39 out of 39 tackles during this year’s Six Nations — only Hamish Watson made more (60 out of 60) without missing one. Gray was involved in a carry, tackle or ruck 64 times per 80 minutes in the tournament, the highest rate of any player to play more than 200 minutes.

5 Maro Itoje (England)
Second XV: Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)

Tipped by many to be this year’s captain and there is good reason why. Itoje has played the most minutes (1,136) of any home-nations player since the start of 2020 and his 16 turnovers in that period is second only to Watson. He has made five lineout steals, which is bettered only by James Ryan’s six.

6 Tom Curry (England)
Second XV: Tadhg Beirne (Ireland)

Recently dubbed by Matt Proudfoot, the England forwards coach, as the next Richie McCaw. Curry made more dominant tackles (seven) and caused a nuisance at more defensive rucks (15) than any other player during the 2021 Six Nations. Scotland’s Jamie Ritchie came close behind Beirne.

7 Hamish Watson (Scotland)
Second XV: Justin Tipuric (Wales)

The player of the 2021 Six Nations was head and shoulders above every other home-nations player as Opta’s top performer. Watson, 29, is on a run of 149 consecutive successful tackles in the Six Nations, five behind Lionel Nallet’s record. He made more effective contributions at rucks (120) than any other player in this year’s tournament and has won the most turnovers (17) among home-nations players since 2020.

8 CJ Stander (Ireland)
Second XV: Taulupe Faletau (Wales)

The 31-year-old is retiring this summer but was still one of the players of the 2021 Six Nations. After making 72 this year, he has topped the rankings for carries in four of the past five Six Nations. He made more post-contact metres (143) than any other forward in this year’s championship.
Not enough Welsh!
Slick

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:24 pm This is interesting. Thought they may at least have asked the question with Marler. By a distance the best English LH at the moment

I think he would be a pretty fucking awful tourist to be honest. Plus, he tickled the captains cock.
Margin__Walker

Telegraph has has AWJ as captain, Sam Simmonds going and another bolter 'not currently playing international rugby' also in the touring party. Also hookers as Owens, LCD and George.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... 1620241565
Kawazaki

Kawazaki wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:39 am That squad is unmanageable. They'll only be playing about 8 games including 3 tests. Smarter play would be to pick a smaller squad with a reserve bubble in case of injuries.

Squad of 36 should be enough.

3x front rows - 9 players
2x second rows - 4 players
2x back rows - 6 players
2x hybrid back-5 - 2 players

21 forwards

3x scrumhalves - 3 players
2x flyhalves - 2 players
4x centres - 4 players
2x back-3 players - 6 players

15 backs

If reports are to be believed then it looks like I was spot on with this prediction.

😎
Slick

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:14 pm Telegraph has has AWJ as captain, Sam Simmonds going and another bolter 'not currently playing international rugby' also in the touring party. Also hookers as Owens, LCD and George.

Care?
Margin__Walker

Slick wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:27 pm
Margin__Walker wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:14 pm Telegraph has has AWJ as captain, Sam Simmonds going and another bolter 'not currently playing international rugby' also in the touring party. Also hookers as Owens, LCD and George.

Care?
That's a good shout, given the shortage of stand out 9s and his form (possibly Cooney too whilst we are talking 9s). Talk of Marcus Smith a few days ago, but can't see that at all.
And 1 guest

I am fermenting my outrage already
Jock42

And 1 guest wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:16 pm I am fermenting my outrage already
Is that Brewdog's latest beer?
Slick

Jock42 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:27 pm
:lol: That tickled me
Caley_Red

Jock42 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:27 pm
Think I'd rather drink an enraged man's sweat.
And on the 7th day, the Lord said "Let there be Finn Russell".