The Official F1 Thread

Where goats go to escape
Insane_Homer

Weirdly I didn't find it that boring (how quickly we forget the plethora of boring Merc 1-2 finishes in this hybrid era), first 20 mins were a bit meh, but it got better, only for the speculation of what might happen... Everyone waiting for the safety car/yellow that never came.

Delighted for Sainz and Norris, holding off the late charge from Perez.

Merc botching Bottas predicted a whole day in advance, so no surprise there.

Loved the stupid director cutting away from Seb making the only on-track overtake of the race, to show Stroll bouncing over some cerbs. Then after about 10 minutes finally deciding to show us the onboard of said overtake, only to cut away from that too. What a fucking idiot!!! Incandescent RAGE!!! (Director seemingly also missed the obligatory Totto bashing his fists on the desk moment.)

Riccardo getting lapped by Norris :???: Seriously embarrassing worsened by all the Sky coverage of 'Mr Monaco' beforehand.
Last edited by Insane_Homer on Mon May 24, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Insane_Homer

from Twitter...

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Sandstorm

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:47 am Everyone waiting for the safety car/yellow that never came.
If that's what Monaco is reduced to, then it's time to boot it off the calendar!

If LeClerc and and Bottas hadn't had weird mechanical issues it would have been even duller than the weather channel. :bimbo:
Lobby

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:47 am Weirdly I didn't find it that boring (how quickly we forget the plethora of boring Merc 1-2 finishes in this hybrid era), first 20 mins were a bit meh, but it got better, only for the speculation of what might happen... Everyone waiting for the safety car/yellow that never came.

Delighted for Sainz and Norris, holding off the late charge from Perez.

Merc botching Bottas predicted a whole day in advance, so no surprise there.

Loved the stupid director cutting away from Seb making the only on-track overtake of the race, to show Stroll bouncing over some cerbs. Then after about 10 minutes finally deciding to show us the onboard of said overtake, only to cut away from that too. What a fucking idiot!!! Incandescent RAGE!!! (Director seemingly also missed the obligatory Totto bashing his fists on the desk moment.)

Riccardo getting lapped by Norris :???: Seriously embarrassing worsened by all the Sky coverage of 'Mr Monaco' beforehand.
The director did show Schumacher forcing his way past Mazepin on the first lap, although I think this was largely accidental (the TV coverage I mean). Thankfully, after that blip, the director managed to avoid showing anything interesting during the rest of the race.
Insane_Homer

Sandstorm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:52 am If that's what Monaco is reduced to, then it's time to boot it off the calendar!
Nope, it stays. Forever!
ScarfaceClaw

I’d like to go and see a Monaco F1 race but I’d need a pretty decent PPE contract to be able to afford it enough to avoid the worst of the riff raff.

The race itself is dull as hell these days but for the atmosphere and experience it’d be great fun.
Kawazaki

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:58 am from Twitter...

I don't get it. :shifty:
Slick

Kawazaki wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:38 pm

I'm glad you said that..
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
ScarfaceClaw

Slick wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:44 pm

I'm glad you said that..
I have literally no idea what it is supposed to represent.
sturginho

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:12 pm
Slick wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 1:44 pm

I'm glad you said that..
I have literally no idea what it is supposed to represent.
During the post race interview with Max they decided to start chatting with Serena Williams and Max was just standing there looking a bit bemused
sturginho

Sandstorm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:52 am
Insane_Homer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:47 am Everyone waiting for the safety car/yellow that never came.
If that's what Monaco is reduced to, then it's time to boot it off the calendar!

If LeClerc and and Bottas hadn't had weird mechanical issues it would have been even duller than the weather channel. :bimbo:
Disagree, If Charles had started on pole it would have been interesting to see how he would have managed to try and keep Max behind him
Sandstorm

sturginho wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:29 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:52 am

Disagree, If Charles had started on pole it would have been interesting to see how he would have managed to try and keep Max behind him
So that’s the first two corners sorted. What about the next two hours?
Insane_Homer

Sandstorm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:36 pm So that’s the first two corners sorted. What about the next two hours?
Mow the lawn, a half dozy nap and then watch the last 3 laps, sorted.
Sandstorm

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:51 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:36 pm So that’s the first two corners sorted. What about the next two hours?
Mow the lawn, a half dozy nap and then watch the last 3 laps, sorted.
:lol:
BnM

Mosley gooooooooooooooooooooone
Dinsdale Piranha

BnM wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:12 pm Mosley gooooooooooooooooooooone
I liked how the BBC referred to him as a 'privacy campaigner' :lolno:
fishfoodie

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:29 pm
The distribution of his, eh; "collection"; could be interesting ....

Un Pilier

fishfoodie wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:32 pm

If it was his collection it surely would be. If, on the other hand ....
Slick

fishfoodie wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:32 pm

Those hookers ratting on him spoilt the whole Nazi themed humiliation for me TBH
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Sandstorm

The switching camera angles and views of this street circuit is making me carsick. :sad:
Sandstorm

Verstappen rear tyre failure with 4 laps to go!!! Race lost!
ScarfaceClaw

Verstappen is out of the race with an exploded rear tyre.
ScarfaceClaw

Red flagged the race. Watch Hamilton nick the win from Perez if they restart.
Dinsdale Piranha

That's tough on Max.

This could be a wild couple of laps!
Sandstorm

Standing start, 2 laps left. Could get very punchy out there!
Sandstorm

Lewis you muppet!!!!!
Sandstorm

Perez wins.
salanya

Mad race. Rather concerning that the tyre just gave out for both Stroll and Verstappen. Luckily no injuries.

And what has happened to Botas?! :shock:

Interesting to see Hamilton making mistakes this season - could be an interesting championship at last.

Fun and happy podium - nice to see Perez getting the win.
Over the hills and far away........
Sandstorm

Bottas has lost his confidence. Hit up the arse by a slow Williams in the rain, then 2 street tracks with walls all around. Hopefully he’ll improve at proper race tracks going forward.
Kawazaki

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:37 pm Red flagged the race. Watch Hamilton nick the win from Perez if they restart.
He got the jump, just forgot to brake!
Sandstorm

Kawazaki wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:29 pm
ScarfaceClaw wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:37 pm Red flagged the race. Watch Hamilton nick the win from Perez if they restart.
Watch the out lap. Everyone else weaving left and right warming up their tyres, Lewis going straight and jumping on/off his brakes. Completely cooked them.
fishfoodie

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:33 pm
Watch the out lap. Everyone else weaving left and right warming up their tyres, Lewis going straight and jumping on/off his brakes. Completely cooked them.
He left the "magic" button on, which allows him to bias towards the front brakes, to heat up the front tyres.
fishfoodie

Pirelli saying they think it was debris/kerbs, & not a tyre issue. They pointed out that the failures were on the rear left, & it was always known that the weak tyre was rear right; & that there were plenty of other drivers that did similar, or greater distances, without issue.

They did also find a 6-7cm long cut in one of Hamiltons tyres, so they do have evidence that there was stuff out there cutting tyres.
Lobby

fishfoodie wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:38 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:33 pm

He left the "magic" button on, which allows him to bias towards the front brakes, to heat up the front tyres.
Apparently he had switched it off before the start, but when he turned to the left to move past Perez, who had also jinked left, he inadvertently touched the switch and turned it back on unknowingly, and so as he entered the 1st corner, his rear brakes had been all but turned off.
Insane_Homer

Sandstorm wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:14 pm Bottas has lost his confidence. Hit up the arse by a slow Williams in the rain, then 2 street tracks with walls all around. Hopefully he’ll improve at proper race tracks going forward.
He was running second @ Monaco :silent:

Totto then blamed him publicly for the stripped wheel nut (missed his mark @ the pit stop by a few inches) and I've also read (unconfirmed internet rumour) that he's been told he doesn't have a seat next season.

His quali was sacrificed to give Lewis a tow, whether he chose the bigger rear wing or not is as yet unconfirmed.

Motivation is hard to muster under those cumulative circumstances, but I'm sure he'll bounce back.

How quickly the pressure swings on the wing men with the pressure on Sergio to up his game to help RB/Max up to now, now the pressure is on Bottas/Merc to perform.

But it was only one race and to go, many more tidal swings between these drivers and teams. Loving it.

I still don't think they're considering binning him mid-season.

Anyway great race. Delighted for the podiums and Alonso dashing from 10 to 6 in the sprint race.

The net zero result of Max/Hamilton in the title race was in the end great for the title fight, although both will be super pissed at missing out.
fishfoodie

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:31 am
Sandstorm wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:14 pm Bottas has lost his confidence. Hit up the arse by a slow Williams in the rain, then 2 street tracks with walls all around. Hopefully he’ll improve at proper race tracks going forward.
He was running second @ Monaco :silent:

Totto then blamed him publicly for the stripped wheel nut (missed his mark @ the pit stop by a few inches) and I've also read (unconfirmed internet rumour) that he's been told he doesn't have a seat next season.

His quali was sacrificed to give Lewis a tow, whether he chose the bigger rear wing or not is as yet unconfirmed.

Motivation is hard to muster under those cumulative circumstances, but I'm sure he'll bounce back.

How quickly the pressure swings on the wing men with the pressure on Sergio to up his game to help RB/Max up to now, now the pressure is on Bottas/Merc to perform.

But it was only one race and to go, many more tidal swings between these drivers and teams. Loving it.

I still don't think they're considering binning him mid-season.

Anyway great race. Delighted for the podiums and Alonso dashing from 10 to 6 in the sprint race.

The net zero result of Max/Hamilton in the title race was in the end great for the title fight, although both will be super pissed at missing out.
Lando needs to mind his Ps & Qs for the rest of the summer. His little outburst was very poorly judged.
Insane_Homer

fishfoodie wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:20 am Lando needs to mind his Ps & Qs for the rest of the summer. His little outburst was very poorly judged.
eh? What outburst? I only recall Yuki's and Dan Tantrum's in the F2 feature race.
fishfoodie

Insane_Homer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:24 am
fishfoodie wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:20 am Lando needs to mind his Ps & Qs for the rest of the summer. His little outburst was very poorly judged.
eh? What outburst? I only recall Yuki's and Dan Tantrum's in the F2 feature race.
Sorry, I was thinking of George Russell, not Lando
Thor Sedan

Certainly the most competitive championship we've had in a very long time.

Merc have missed a trick somewhere - and I reckon that the team has made more mistakes in the last 2 races than they would expect over an entire season. I'm not sure - but Hamilton seems to have lost focus completely - not sure if it is just the shock of actually not being in the fastest car - but he's going to have to majorly reset if he wants to win this year. Still think he is one of the best racers out there.....but jeesh......junior racer mistakes creeping in.

Interestingly - Merc has said their upgrades aren't going to be anything spectacular this season as they are concentrating on next seasons big changes.

Think Max is on for the championship - if his car stays reliable.

Enjoying the likes of Alpha Tauri, Williams and Alpine doing well.......and then there is Vettel....I just can't warm to him as a driver.
fishfoodie

Thor Sedan wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:32 am
Enjoying the likes of Alpha Tauri, Williams and Alpine doing well.......and then there is Vettel....I just can't warm to him as a driver.
There's an inverse relationship between the likeability of drivers; & their chances of winning anything. The successful ones are the most selfish plums.