The Official English Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
Lobby

Hal Jordan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:10 pm So that will be a bench consisting of four backrowers, two props, a scrum half (to be used on the wing, if at all) and Furbank.
As Furbank can apparently cover scrum half as well, he’ll probably use Simmonds as cover for the backs, and go for a 7 - 1 split.
sockwithaticket

Lobby wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:28 pm
Hal Jordan wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:10 pm So that will be a bench consisting of four backrowers, two props, a scrum half (to be used on the wing, if at all) and Furbank.
As Furbank can apparently cover scrum half as well, he’ll probably use Simmonds as cover for the backs, and go for a 7 - 1 split.
Please don't put that out into the universe.
sockwithaticket

Sam Simmonds with a hattrick on his hundredth appearance brings him up to 75 tries in Exeter colours. That's some record for anyone.
Margin__Walker

Highlights from the Sarries v v LI CC game earlier. Sarries were never really under too much pressure. They scored some decent long ranged tries, with Daly the pick of the backs. LI had a pretty makeshift backline for most of the game with Jennings and Williams injured early. Henry Arundell with the pick of the tries for LI. First year out of school. I've seen him play two games of senior rugby now and he's been stand out in both. Also made a nice break earlier in the game, but van Rensburg spilled the scoring pass.

geordie_6

sockwithaticket wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:33 pm Sam Simmonds with a hattrick on his hundredth appearance brings him up to 75 tries in Exeter colours. That's some record for anyone.
All pretty good tries, showing his pace, power and footwork.
Happyhooker

Well the slide down the levels for nathan hughes continues.

Bristol ------ hartpury ------- bath
SaintK

Happyhooker wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 am Well the slide down the levels for nathan hughes continues.

:lol: :lol: two month loan. The Rugby Paper reported yesterday that long term he is on his way to L Irish to replace Tuisue who is on his way to Glaws
Watching young Fitz Harding playing at No8 for Bristol the past few weeks can understand why Hughes is out of favour
sockwithaticket

SaintK wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:01 am
Happyhooker wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:34 am Well the slide down the levels for nathan hughes continues.

:lol: :lol: two month loan. The Rugby Paper reported yesterday that long term he is on his way to L Irish to replace Tuisue who is on his way to Glaws
Watching young Fitz Harding playing at No8 for Bristol the past few weeks can understand why Hughes is out of favour
Even with his form I wouldn't have expected Hughes to be loaned out. Lends credence to rumours of a falling out with Lam.
inactionman

Good move for him. He'll love the sauna at Farleigh.
JM2K6

He'd better continue to be shit this week :mad:
Happyhooker

Launchbury back this weekend
sockwithaticket

More movement in the England squad

Out:
May (knee)
Lawes (head injury protocols)

In:
Daly
Isiekwe
Happyhooker wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:20 pm Launchbury back this weekend
He's been badly missed by both club and country. Hopefully he can put together a bit of a run now.
Oh fuck, it's Keith.

Slick

sockwithaticket wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 pm More movement in the England squad

Out:
May (knee)

In:
Daly
Isiekwe
He's been badly missed by both club and country. Hopefully he can put together a bit of a run now.
Does that mean out for the Calcutta Cup game or just for now?
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
sockwithaticket

Slick wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:14 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 pm More movement in the England squad

Out:
May (knee)

In:
Daly
Isiekwe
Basically just a headline at the moment. I'd assume Lawes is going through the return to play stuff following a failed HIA and would probably be due back for the tournament proper.
Bullet

Out:
May (knee)

In:
Daly
Isiekwe
Is isiekwe the first player hooked early by Jones who's been selected in a squad again?
sockwithaticket

Bullet wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:37 pm

Out:
May (knee)

In:
Daly
Isiekwe
Is isiekwe the first player hooked early by Jones who's been selected in a squad again?
Yep. Good for him, hopefully that means there's a road back for Lozowski too. We're not flush with 12s.
SaintK

sockwithaticket wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:27 pm
Slick wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:14 pm

Out:
May (knee)

In:
Daly
Isiekwe

Basically just a headline at the moment. I'd assume Lawes is going through the return to play stuff following a failed HIA and would probably be due back for the tournament proper.
Saints didn't play at the weekend so he must have done it against Ulster the weekend before. Would therefore suggest he's some way through the return to play protocol.
Raggs

SaintK wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 am Saints didn't play at the weekend so he must have done it against Ulster the weekend before. Would therefore suggest he's some way through the return to play protocol.
He could have done it in training.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
duke

Raggs wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:23 am
SaintK wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 am Saints didn't play at the weekend so he must have done it against Ulster the weekend before. Would therefore suggest he's some way through the return to play protocol.
He could have done it in training.
He did take a proper clattering against Ulster as I recall him staying down for a long while- there was no HIA though
inactionman

Jonathan Thomas out at Sixways, Dimes in (well, moved up/across from his consultant role)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60128177

Diamond will take over from Solomons at season's end.
SaintK

inactionman wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:43 pm Jonathan Thomas out at Sixways, Dimes in (well, moved up/across from his consultant role)

Thomas always came over as a good bloke but did appear to be out of his depth
Ed Griffiths take note, that's what happens to a serially underachieving DoR or head coach
inactionman

SaintK wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:02 pm
inactionman wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:43 pm Jonathan Thomas out at Sixways, Dimes in (well, moved up/across from his consultant role)

Ed Griffiths take note, that's what happens to a serially underachieving DoR or head coach
Also should be a note to the Bath squad. Fingers out or you get Steve Diamond raging at you.
sockwithaticket

inactionman wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:38 pm
SaintK wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:02 pm

Also should be a note to the Bath squad. Fingers out or you get Steve Diamond raging at you.
:lol:

Can you imagine? Enjoying a nice soak in one of the Farleigh jacuzzis and the door rocks off its hinges followed shortly by a stream of Northern invective.
Hal Jordan

Marler has Covid, so he can dodge training but still turn out for the team.

A true front rower.
SaintK

Hal Jordan wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:14 pm Marler has Covid, so he can dodge training but still turn out for the team.

A true front rower.
That's twice since the AI's!!!

The Engalnd squad were alsu eveacuated from their hotel due to a fire!!!
Margin__Walker

Faz confirmed out of the 6N
Jim Lahey

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:37 am Faz confirmed out of the 6N
The 6N is England's to lose now.
What kind of backline are you's expecting to be selected?
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Raggs

Jim Lahey wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:08 am
For all our moaning, there's a very good reason that Faz has held the 12 shirt for so long. We don't really have anyone significantly better. They're all 13s.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
JM2K6

Only because we've never been able to try anyone else there.

Slade, who I don't like as a 12, did great against SA. Atkinson is a 12 and a big bloke with good skills. Northmore brings a lot to the position.
sockwithaticket

I'd expect
9. Youngs
10. Smith
11. Daly
12. Slade
13. Marchant
14. Nowell
15. Steward

21. Quirke/Randall
22. Ford
23. Malins/Furbank

Strip Ford out of the equation if Eddie decides to continue with 6-2 bench splits

Personally I'd like to see us go more experimental/inexperienced as there aren't many opportunities left to get meaningful international game time into even the capped newer faces. Swap Youngs out for Quirke, put Atkinson in at 12, Malins to 14. Slade and Nowell scrap for the 23 shirt with one falling out of the team.
Last edited by sockwithaticket on Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raggs

JM2K6 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:25 am Only because we've never been able to try anyone else there.

Slade, who I don't like as a 12, did great against SA. Atkinson is a 12 and a big bloke with good skills. Northmore brings a lot to the position.
Slade has also done poorly as a 12 though, and is mostly a 13. Atkinson just looked like he wasn't upto international to me. Bloody good prem level player, but I don't see him being able to make the step up. Thought Northmore was mostly a 13 too? I've only seen his really poor game at 12, but that was bad hands, which could have happened regardless of the number (though it may suggest extra pressures leading to errors).

Manu looks OK at 12, but that's mostly because he can be used as a point and shoot option. Loz has looked good there, but got moved around so much he'd struggled to make a shirt his own for too long I reckon.

I've quite liked the look of Kelly, but it won't hurt for him to simply get more prem experience.

Faz when he first moved to 12 was bad, but now he's a solid international 12. He runs a little, he can pass (and better than most 12s), his workrate is huge and he's clearly seen as someone driving the team by coaches and team mates. I wish we had someone clearly better, and maybe some of the youngsters could make it, but no one obvious stands out demanding the shirt atm.
Un Pilier

I would worry that (Sockwithaticket) might be too much change at once - I’d be happy to see Ben Youngs dropped for one of the young chargers ; I rate them both. 12 is tricky but I think I would go with Slade outside Smith and Malins would be on my bench.
Raggs

I do think Slade at 12 is our best option at the momet. And if he can have a run without the errors, I'd hope he can take the shirt from Farrell in the long term.
Kawazaki

JM2K6 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:25 am Only because we've never been able to try anyone else there.

Northmore is not a 12, certainly not test level. Let's face it, he shouldn't be in the squad. Not yet anyway.
JM2K6

Raggs wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 am

Slade has also done poorly as a 12 though, and is mostly a 13. Atkinson just looked like he wasn't upto international to me. Bloody good prem level player, but I don't see him being able to make the step up. Thought Northmore was mostly a 13 too? I've only seen his really poor game at 12, but that was bad hands, which could have happened regardless of the number (though it may suggest extra pressures leading to errors).

Manu looks OK at 12, but that's mostly because he can be used as a point and shoot option. Loz has looked good there, but got moved around so much he'd struggled to make a shirt his own for too long I reckon.

I've quite liked the look of Kelly, but it won't hurt for him to simply get more prem experience.

Faz when he first moved to 12 was bad, but now he's a solid international 12. He runs a little, he can pass (and better than most 12s), his workrate is huge and he's clearly seen as someone driving the team by coaches and team mates. I wish we had someone clearly better, and maybe some of the youngsters could make it, but no one obvious stands out demanding the shirt atm.
oh, I agree with most of this except for Atkinson not looking like he was up to international level - I think he's shown enough to deserve a shot. Northmore's played 12 a few times and he does have the bulk for it to go with his lines and link play. I think those bad hands are not completely out of character for him; he shouldn't drop everything but it is a slight concern, and he is inexperienced in the position. Slade I prefer the further away from 10 he gets but I can't argue that he didn't seem like a man reborn against SA.

Farrell hasn't had any running game for a while. Not sure what you mean by his work rate, his tackling's dropped to normal levels most of the time and while he does love to get involved with the ball that's basically what you'd expect from a "2nd 5/8" style 12, otherwise he'd be a completely empty shirt (and I think you'd agree his involvements have not always been positive, particularly his decision making over when to kick)
JM2K6

Kawazaki wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:02 am

Northmore is not a 12, certainly not test level. Let's face it, he shouldn't be in the squad. Not yet anyway.
Why not? He's been superb for quite some time now. Not many centres performing at his level in English club rugby, and he has experience across the backline.
Lobby

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:33 am
I'd expect
9. Youngs
10. Smith
11. Daly
12. Slade
13. Marchant
14. Nowell
15. Steward

21. Quirke/Randall
22. Ford
23. Malins/Furbank

Strip Ford out of the equation if Eddie decides to continue with 6-2 bench splits

Personally I'd like to see us go more experimental/inexperienced as there aren't many opportunities left to get meaningful international game time into even the capped newer faces. Swap Youngs out for Quirke, put Atkinson in at 12, Malins to 14. Slade and Nowell scrap for the 23 shirt with one falling out of the team.
Daly wasn't even in the squad until May pulled out, so I think it unlikely he'll be in the starting 15. Malins did very well in the Autumn and I think is more likely to start than Daly. With Farrell absent, and based on the current squad, I would expect Atkinson and Slade to be the centres, with Marchant as the other winger.

Eddie will play Youngs at 9 whatever the rest of us think.
Raggs

I do think Slade at 12 is our best option at the momet. And if he can have a run without the errors, I'd hope he can take the shirt from Farrell in the long term.
Kawazaki

My England Backs v Eddie Jones's likely England Backs;

Me/Eddie

15. Stewart/Stewart
14. Malins/Nowell
13. Slade/Slade
12. Lozowski/Atkinson?
11. Radwan/Daly
10. Smith/Smith
9. Robson/Youngs

21. Quirke/None (6+2 split)
22. Nowell/Quirke
23. OHC/Malins

Lozowski back up kicker and 10.
Slade back up 12
Malins back up 15.
Nowell back up wing and 13.
OHC back up wing.
Last edited by Kawazaki on Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.