Super Rugby Pacific

Where goats go to escape
Kiwias

The last pass there looked a bit suspect :roll:
Dan54

Grandpa wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:00 pm
Dan54 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:36 pm
Grandpa wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:36 am

Hopefully one team takes the first step and starts playing modern rugby... and forces the other teams to come up with ways to counteract it... Foster should be talking to the Super franchises and imploring them to get their acts together... for the greater good!
Sorry Grandpa, can't agree. Foster (nor any coach) should not be telling the franchises how to play the game.The comp has to be left to run it's course , and as a coach you get to see who can play against or with certain styles. Coaches never done it up to now and hope they never start.
Actually talking of coaches etc, the one who has to be impressing obviously is Clayton MacMillan, he seems to be developing a pretty good squad, along with Gatlnd I know, but there is something about the way the man operates impresses me.
That's often been held up as a big strength of NZ rugby... that the All Blacks work with franchises for the greater good.... so it's not exactly new... Hansen and Henry used to do it a lot.
Wayne Smith talked about it recently how he thought NZ Rugby could reinvent itself... and he expected Foster to be talking to the Super coaches to work out a way to do this...

We don't have SA'n sides any more so we are even more insulated from the outside world.. which was fine when we were the world leaders... now that we aren't... how are we going to catch up... and then forge ahead again? I am guessing by not playing the same way we have been doing the last decade? How are we going to change? As none of the Super sides have shown any inclination to play modern rugby so far...

And to compound matters, what is the motivation to change ? Until someone else plays that way,. everyone can carry on playing old style rugby.
Hansen said in his book they left the Super teams to own devices , only spoke at beginning of each season re player time management, and even that was voluntary., If you saw when Chris Boyd went overseas to coach he said he hadn't spoken to an AB coach in 2 years. It's a fallcy I think by Aus press who seem to think that NZR tells players where to go because of central contracting etc.
Gumboot

Norris v Williams :thumbup:
Torquemada 1420

Should never have bet on Saders losing 2 in a row. :oops:
Torquemada 1420

PS: this game makes we wonder why anyone is worried about NZ rugby! :wtf:
Kiwias

The Chiefs are a damned hard team to defend against, with their skillful and swift changes of direction on attack.
Kiwias

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:37 am PS: this game makes we wonder why anyone is worried about NZ rugby! :wtf:
High levels of skill on display indeed.
Gumboot

Luke Jacobson's been out for a worryingly long time.
Kiwias

Game on!
Kiwias

Far more convincing performance by the lads.
Gumboot

Kiwias wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:55 am Far more convincing performance by the lads.
Yep, that was an emphatic win.
Kiwias

Callum Grace looking the part at No8.

EDIT: I was informed that his first name is Cullen. My bad.
Last edited by Kiwias on Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboot

Kiwias wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:57 am Callum Grace looking the part at No8.
He was very good, as was Christie again.
Dan54

Yep, he bloody good at this level, never quite kicked on at next level as I thought he would.
Gumboot

Dan54 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:04 am
Yep, he bloody good at this level, never quite kicked on at next level as I thought he would.
He looks fit and fast after a lot of injury down time. Maybe no.8's his best position? Starting to wonder if blindside might be the best fit for Tupou Vaa'i as well... still really like him at lock though.
Ymx

Good to see the mighty saders redeem themselves.
Gumboot

Ollie Norris had another impressive game. He held his own against the other Oli in the scrum, and was prominent in open play. Shame he got yanked before getting to go up against Williams when he came on, I was really looking forward to that. Ah well - another day.
Kiwias

He is still young enough so I would not write him off yet.
Guy Smiley

Kiwias wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:29 am
It's Cullen, isn't it? not Callum?

I'm travelling at the moment. Like, real travel. Airplanes and airports... so I just had a look at the utube highlights as I'd errrrm... forgotten about the game :oops:

My man Nankivell looked to have a good game for the pretenders and Razor didn't give Tehuriorangi any time this week against his old team? Also... what's with playing them twice within a few weeks?
Kiwias

Guy Smiley wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:43 am

I'm travelling at the moment. Like, real travel. Airplanes and airports... so I just had a look at the utube highlights as I'd errrrm... forgotten about the game :oops:

My man Nankivell looked to have a good game for the pretenders and Razor didn't give Tehuriorangi any time this week against his old team? Also... what's with playing them twice within a few weeks?
Nankivell had a cracking game and you are indeed correct about Grace's first name. I have always thought it was Callum but stand corrected. He is still only 22.
Grandpa

Dan54 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:00 am
Grandpa wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:00 pm
Dan54 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:36 pm

Sorry Grandpa, can't agree. Foster (nor any coach) should not be telling the franchises how to play the game.The comp has to be left to run it's course , and as a coach you get to see who can play against or with certain styles. Coaches never done it up to now and hope they never start.
Actually talking of coaches etc, the one who has to be impressing obviously is Clayton MacMillan, he seems to be developing a pretty good squad, along with Gatlnd I know, but there is something about the way the man operates impresses me.
That's often been held up as a big strength of NZ rugby... that the All Blacks work with franchises for the greater good.... so it's not exactly new... Hansen and Henry used to do it a lot.
Wayne Smith talked about it recently how he thought NZ Rugby could reinvent itself... and he expected Foster to be talking to the Super coaches to work out a way to do this...

We don't have SA'n sides any more so we are even more insulated from the outside world.. which was fine when we were the world leaders... now that we aren't... how are we going to catch up... and then forge ahead again? I am guessing by not playing the same way we have been doing the last decade? How are we going to change? As none of the Super sides have shown any inclination to play modern rugby so far...

And to compound matters, what is the motivation to change ? Until someone else plays that way,. everyone can carry on playing old style rugby.
Hansen said in his book they left the Super teams to own devices , only spoke at beginning of each season re player time management, and even that was voluntary., If you saw when Chris Boyd went overseas to coach he said he hadn't spoken to an AB coach in 2 years. It's a fallcy I think by Aus press who seem to think that NZR tells players where to go because of central contracting etc.
Well we're a bit screwed then :lolno:

Maybe it is just at the start . But have we seen anything different so far?

With only playing NZ and Aussie sides I can't see super rugby changing organically...at least not soon enough? So how do we adapt.. is it all on Foster?

I'll just leave it with what Wayne Smith said a few weeks ago...
Maybe, at times. The tradition with the All Blacks though is that they reinvent themselves bloody quickly. And I think that will happen again. I think you’ll see that over this off season. All Blacks coaches are great at getting round Super Rugby, sharing ideas. Ian Foster was strong at that during my last few years coaching. We got around all of the Super teams often. We’re famous at reinventing ourselves whether it be for law changes or styles of play. So I hope that will happen again.
MungoMan

Kiwias wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:05 am

Nankivell had a cracking game and you are indeed correct about Grace's first name. I have always thought it was Callum but stand corrected. He is still only 22.
something something something diss Grace.

Yeah OK I'll be going now...
Dan54

Agree, no way am I writing him off as yet, or ever would , I was on his bandwagon when I first saw him. Many players actually mature into better ones.
Guy Smiley

MungoMan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:59 pm
Kiwias wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:05 am

something something something diss Grace.

Yeah OK I'll be going now...
Don’t stop there… keep going😂
Carter's Choice

That was an entertaining game to watch. Whilst both teams were understrength due to COVID-19 and injuries, the Chiefs missed their missing players more, IMO. Pita Gus-Sowakula was a huge loss, and Anton Lineart-Brown is the glue that keeps their backline together.

As has been mentioned , Grace and Christie were both good. That was Tom Christie's best Super Rugby game, and Grace wasn't far off his best. He looks slim and strong, and at just 22 years of age I believe his best years are well ahead of him. Scott Barrett is playing the best Rugby of his Crusaders career and looks to be benefiting from skipping the EOYT in 2021.

I like the look of Fainga'anuku at 13. He is a big body who can straighten the attack and his try was well taken and shows how dangerous a big centre can be close to the tryline. I like Brayden Ennor, but I think LF offers a solidity and physicality that Ennor lacks.

Richie Mo'unga also looks to be building nicely into he season. He kicked and passed well, and when his jinking runs start to create linebreaks you know he's back to his best. I love the time and space that he creates for David Havili.

Will Jordan was the standout though. There is a Christian Cullen freakishness to his running play that is so good to watch. And his three breakdown turnovers show that he works hard on both sides of the ball. The sky is the limit for Jordan, and you can see why the Crusaders stuck by him despite him missing his first two seasons with them through injury.
Guy Smiley

👍👍

I asked a couple of weeks back, does anyone have any idea of where Jack Goodhue is at with his recovery?
Carter's Choice

Guy Smiley wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:01 am 👍👍

I asked a couple of weeks back, does anyone have any idea of where Jack Goodhue is at with his recovery?
I've heard nothing. Hopefully he's been training hard whilst he's been injured, and has also had a haircut.
Gumboot

Jordan's the form NZ fullback, and given his all-round improvement I'd be happy with him starting at 15 for the ABs.

Does anyone know the reason for Luke Jacobson's lengthy absence? I hope it's not ongoing concussion issues.
Ymx

Gumboot wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:12 am Jordan's the form NZ fullback, and given his all-round improvement I'd be happy with him starting at 15 for the ABs.
And after those skills, he can play at 7 too if needed, after scooter gets red carded, and we are down to 14.
Gumboot

The Blues play Moana Pasifika at Mt Smart tonight.

Blues: Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepens, Mark Telea, Tamati Tua, Tanielu Tele’a, AJ Lam, Stephen Perofeta, Taufua Funaki; Anton Segner, Adrian Choat, Taine Plumtree, Sam Darry, Luke Romano (c), Nepo Laulala, Ricky Riccitelli, Alex Hodgman. Reserves: Soane Vikena, Josh Fusitua, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Cameron Sufoa, Vaiolini Ekuasi, Finlay Christie, Corey Evans, Josh McKenzie.

Moana Pasifika: D’Angelo Leuila, Tomasi Alosio, Fine Inisi, Henry Taefu, Anzelo Tuitavuki, Lincoln McClutchie, Ereatara Enari; Jack Lam (c), Alamanda Motuga, Penitoa Finau, Xavier Cowley-Tuioti, Michael Curry, Joe ‘Apikotoa, Luteru Tolai, Abraham Pole. Reserves: Ray Niuia, Suetena Asomua, Chris Apoua, Alex McRobbie, Josh Kaifa, Manu Paea, Solomone Kata, Lolagi Visinia.
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:08 pm The Blues play Moana Pasifika at Mt Smart tonight.

Blues: Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepens, Mark Telea, Tamati Tua, Tanielu Tele’a, AJ Lam, Stephen Perofeta, Taufua Funaki; Anton Segner, Adrian Choat, Taine Plumtree, Sam Darry, Luke Romano (c), Nepo Laulala, Ricky Riccitelli, Alex Hodgman. Reserves: Soane Vikena, Josh Fusitua, Karl Tu’inukuafe, Cameron Sufoa, Vaiolini Ekuasi, Finlay Christie, Corey Evans, Josh McKenzie.

Moana Pasifika: D’Angelo Leuila, Tomasi Alosio, Fine Inisi, Henry Taefu, Anzelo Tuitavuki, Lincoln McClutchie, Ereatara Enari; Jack Lam (c), Alamanda Motuga, Penitoa Finau, Xavier Cowley-Tuioti, Michael Curry, Joe ‘Apikotoa, Luteru Tolai, Abraham Pole. Reserves: Ray Niuia, Suetena Asomua, Chris Apoua, Alex McRobbie, Josh Kaifa, Manu Paea, Solomone Kata, Lolagi Visinia.
Mark Telea and Tanielu Tele'a have very similar surnames but one has an apostrophe. Are they related?
Kiwias

It feels weird as fuck to see the (c) after Romano's name and realising this is the Blues.
Gumboot

Kiwias wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:30 pmMark Telea and Tanielu Tele'a have very similar surnames but one has an apostrophe. Are they related?
No idea, but I was wondering if the young Blues reserve Jock (not Josh) McKenzie is related to Marty and Damian McKenzie?
Enzedder

Gumboot wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:36 am
Kiwias wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:30 pmMark Telea and Tanielu Tele'a have very similar surnames but one has an apostrophe. Are they related?
No idea, but I was wondering if the young Blues reserve Jock (not Josh) McKenzie is related to Marty and Damian McKenzie?
nah. He's ex-Westlake Boys High
I drink and I forget things.
Gumboot

Enzedder wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:00 am
Gumboot wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:36 am
nah. He's ex-Westlake Boys High
Cheers. I read somewhere that he's also a gun cricketer.
Gumboot

Laulala gets red carded and MP immediately score a try to narrow the gap to 24-19 with 20 minutes to go.
Gumboot

Blues win 32-19.
Gumboot

Crusaders v Highlanders kicking off shortly.

The Highlanders are massive underdogs given their abysmal form. Hope they can pull off an upset...

Crusaders: Will Jordan, Sevu Reece, Leicester Fainga’anuku, David Havili, George Bridge, Richie Mo’unga, Mitchell Drummond, Cullen Grace, Tom Christie, Ethan Blackadder, Quinten Strange, Scott Barrett (c), Fletcher Newell, Codie Taylor, Joe Moody. Reserves: Shilo Klein, George Bower, Tamaiti Williams, Zach Gallagher, Pablo Matera, Bryn Hall, Fergus Burke, Braydon Ennor.

Highlanders: Connor Garden-Bachop, Sam Gilbert, Fetuli Paea, Scott Gregory, Mosese Dawai, Mitch Hunt, Aaron Smith (c); Marino Mikaele-Tu’u, James Lentjes, Shannon Frizell, Josh Dickson, Bryn Evans, Josh Hohneck, Andrew Makalio, Daniel Lienert-Brown. Reserves: Rhys Marshall, Ethan de Groot, Jermaine Ainsley, Manaaki Selby-Rickit, Gareth Evans, Folau Fakatava, Marty Banks, Denny Solomona.
Gumboot

Saders leading 17-14 at HT.
Enzedder

Sadists tighties are just too strong for any other team in this comp
I drink and I forget things.