Super Rugby Pacific

Where goats go to escape
Gumboot

Guy Smiley wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:32 pm
Jb1981 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:55 pm How good was the play RMo worked with Reece from deep in defence that nearly led to a try at the other end? He was behind the scrum on his goal line looking set for the clearance kick and at the last minute broke right, took the ball, accelerated and put Reece in space down the sideline.

I don’t think TV coverage picks up the pre-play subtleties but focusing on Mo’unga during a game the way he picks his moments to go in motion and set play up is impressive (whether he is in as good form as last year or not).
Beaudy can do that too, you know.

And Jordie broke the line.
Mate, you're obsessed.
Jb1981

Jb1981 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:55 pm How good was the play RMo worked with Reece from deep in defence that nearly led to a try at the other end? He was behind the scrum on his goal line looking set for the clearance kick and at the last minute broke right, took the ball, accelerated and put Reece in space down the sideline.

I don’t think TV coverage picks up the pre-play subtleties but focusing on Mo’unga during a game the way he picks his moments to go in motion and set play up is impressive (whether he is in as good form as last year or not).

Like most Cantabrians I am objective and happy to give praise where praise is due.

They say the best players have extra time and Jordie certainly looks to be playing in slow motion.

As for Beauden, he is very good at shovelling.

See, no bias here.
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:35 pm

Mate, you're obsessed.
MungoMan

Clumsy prick. Make him buy a new one! :mad:
Ymx

Jb1981 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:52 pm

Like most Cantabrians I am objective and happy to give praise where praise is due.

They say the best players have extra time and Jordie certainly looks to be playing in slow motion.

As for Beauden, he is very good at shovelling.

See, no bias here.
You are a bad bad man :lol:
Ymx

I hate to say it, but Jordie was probably our best AB in what was a disastrous NH tour.
Torquemada 1420

Ymx wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:15 am I hate to say it, but Jordie was probably our best AB in what was a disastrous NH tour.
Yes. He's had a late flowering in career after some pretty patchy stuff and questions over where he should play.
Gumboot

ALB is having shoulder surgery and will be out for at least 6 months. :sad:
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:42 pm ALB is having shoulder surgery and will be out for at least 6 months. :sad:
Damned shame!
Guy Smiley

The Highlanders have lost Frizell and Selby-Rickit to knee injuries, they'll be lucky to reach finals now while the players face at least 8 weeks out.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... ight-weeks
Kiwias

Guy Smiley wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:15 am The Highlanders have lost Frizell and Selby-Rickit to knee injuries, they'll be lucky to reach finals now while the players face at least 8 weeks out.

They are a team that desperately need all their top players available for every match.
Gumboot

Kiwias wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:47 am
Guy Smiley wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:15 am The Highlanders have lost Frizell and Selby-Rickit to knee injuries, they'll be lucky to reach finals now while the players face at least 8 weeks out.

They are a team that desperately need all their top players available for every match.
Even then I think they're short of talent in comparison to the top teams, unfortunately.

And so, we look forward to yet another test year of unsettled midfield combinations. At least Jack Goodhue's on the comeback. Have to say I'm very much warming to the idea of Jordie at 12.
Ymx

I’ve not caught many full games but Frizell looked on form. Big powerful plays.
Guy Smiley

Ymx wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:44 am

I hate seeing Frizell on the park after last year's assault case. I'd rather see NZR discard players who get themselves into a situation like that.

Other than that he's looking like exactly what we need at 6. Dammit.
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:26 am At least Jack Goodhue's on the comeback. Have to say I'm very much warming to the idea of Jordie at 12.
Accuse me of obsession all you like, but this is an example of why I arc up about Barretts. He's played 2 games at 12, in a side where looking good in the backline isn't an uphill challenge, yet you've got him pegged for a test jersey there?

Yeah, nah.

Where the ABs are falling down spectacularly for me is in the failure to select and cement decent combinations. Let's throw Jordie in at 12..,. I can see it happening. From there, he can disrupt every other inside back the same way his brother does while putting them all under greater pressure.

Or, let's not do that. Let's leave him at 15 where he can compete honestly for that spot with Jordan while players like Tupaea, Havili and a fit ALB (as rare as that can be) who have already worked on their combinations and are owning the midfield in their own right.

Just for fun, let's chuck Fainga'anuku into 12. it might work.
Gumboot

Guy Smiley wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:07 am
Gumboot wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:26 am At least Jack Goodhue's on the comeback. Have to say I'm very much warming to the idea of Jordie at 12.
Accuse me of obsession all you like, but this is an example of why I arc up about Barretts. He's played 2 games at 12, in a side where looking good in the backline isn't an uphill challenge, yet you've got him pegged for a test jersey there?

Yeah, nah.

Where the ABs are falling down spectacularly for me is in the failure to select and cement decent combinations. Let's throw Jordie in at 12..,. I can see it happening. From there, he can disrupt every other inside back the same way his brother does while putting them all under greater pressure.

Or, let's not do that. Let's leave him at 15 where he can compete honestly for that spot with Jordan while players like Tupaea, Havili and a fit ALB (as rare as that can be) who have already worked on their combinations and are owning the midfield in their own right.

Settle down, bro. Jordie played all of his rugby up to under 20s at 12, it's not like it's entirely new to him. And imho he looks bloody good there. I love his physicality and greater involvement in the play. Wouldn't mind seeing him at 12 and Jordan at 15 tbh. Can you point out his failings at 12 so that I can better understand your objection to the idea?
Dan54

Yeah, nah.

So who of the last few years midfield have lasted more then a few tests to cement spots and get combos. By christ a lot of them seem made of glass.
They are continually injured it seems!!
Gumboot

Canes vs Moana Pasifika kicking off shortly.

Hurricanes: Ruben Love, Wes Goosen, Bailyn Sullivan, Peter Umaga-Jensen, Salesi Rayasi, Aidan Morgan, TJ Perenara; Devan Flanders, Blake Gibson, Reed Prinsep (c), Tom Parsons, Isaia Walker-Leawere, Tevita Mafileo, James O'Reilly, Alex Fidow. Reserves: Kianu Kereru-Symes, Jared Proffit, Pasilio Tosi, Justin Sangster, Te Kamaka Howden, Cam Roigard, Teihorangi Walden, Josh Moorby

Moana Pasifika: Lolagi Visinia, Tima Fainga’anuku, Levi Aumua, Danny Toala, Neria Foma’i, Christian Leali’ifano (c), Jonathan Taumateine; Henry Time-Stowers, Alamanda Motuga, Alex McRobbie, Samuel Slade, Mahonri Ngakuru, Joe ‘Apikotoa, Samiuela Moli, Abraham Pole. Reserves: Ray Niuia, Ezekiel Lindenmuth, Taukiha’amea Koloamatangi, Michael Curry, Penitoa Finau, Manu Paea, Lincoln McClutchie, Henry Taefu
Gumboot

Canes ahead 22-5 after a messy first half.

On the bright side, only two of their tries have been from lineout mauls.
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:41 am

Yeah, nah.

Settle down, bro. Jordie played all of his rugby up to under 20s at 12, it's not like it's entirely new to him. And imho he looks bloody good there. I love his physicality and greater involvement in the play. Wouldn't mind seeing him at 12 and Jordan at 15 tbh. Can you point out his failings at 12 so that I can better understand your objection to the idea?
It's his hair.

It annoys me.
Gumboot

:lol:
Gumboot

Got to feel for MP, their covid-compressed season has been brutal.
Guy Smiley

Dan54 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:46 am

Yeah, nah.

So who of the last few years midfield have lasted more then a few tests to cement spots and get combos. By christ a lot of them seem made of glass.
That's part of the problem that I'm driving at, Dan... combo's across the park haven't been allowed to settle and develop under this coach and his predecessor.

As for midfield players soecifically... Goodhue was shining at 13. Born to it. Then Razor moved him to 12 when Crotty left the Saders and Foster followed suit... then the swings and roundabouts started. ALB and Goodhue were an ok combo but they were in each other's jersey. Tupaea is hugely promising at 12 and is only at the beginning of his career. He'll get games and he's seriously exciting... at 12. Havili was a revelation there last year and faded towards the end of the season... not surprising when you consider he was moved to 12 to fill a gap and played there all year, away from his usual FB spot.

We've had enough players put their hands up and own spots. What we haven't had is consistency of selections.
Grandpa

Guy Smiley wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:58 am
Ymx wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:44 am

I hate seeing Frizell on the park after last year's assault case. I'd rather see NZR discard players who get themselves into a situation like that.

Other than that he's looking like exactly what we need at 6. Dammit.
I'd discard him as well.. he has had enough chances at All Black level and just doesn't seem the same player at test level. He's a reverse Nonu.
Gumboot

The Sullivan brothers have something about them.
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:18 am The Sullivan brothers have something about them.
Yeah, they do. I got to watch the Blues a few weeks back with Zarn at 15 and Perofeta at 10. They were really good together.
Grandpa

Guy Smiley wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:08 am

Yeah, nah.

That's part of the problem that I'm driving at, Dan... combo's across the park haven't been allowed to settle and develop under this coach and his predecessor.

As for midfield players soecifically... Goodhue was shining at 13. Born to it. Then Razor moved him to 12 when Crotty left the Saders and Foster followed suit... then the swings and roundabouts started. ALB and Goodhue were an ok combo but they were in each other's jersey. Tupaea is hugely promising at 12 and is only at the beginning of his career. He'll get games and he's seriously exciting... at 12. Havili was a revelation there last year and faded towards the end of the season... not surprising when you consider he was moved to 12 to fill a gap and played there all year, away from his usual FB spot.

We've had enough players put their hands up and own spots. What we haven't had is consistency of selections.
I like Havili, but he started to get found out against the proper sides.. SA, Ireland and France. He looked fantastic against Australia. Though in mitigation, it didn't help playing behind a retreating pack... more and more these days you seem to need a 12 that can carry the ball through traffic from a standing start... we took Nonu for granted...
Gumboot

Grandpa wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:20 am

I like Havili, but he started to get found out against the proper sides.. SA, Ireland and France. He looked fantastic against Australia. Though in mitigation, it didn't help playing behind a retreating pack... more and more these days you seem to need a 12 that can carry the ball through traffic from a standing start... we took Nonu for granted...
Would you rather start the first test of the year with Havili or Jordie at 12?
Grandpa

Gumboot wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:27 am
Grandpa wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:20 am

Would you rather start the first test of the year with Havili or Jordie at 12?
Jordie against Ireland, so that we can see how he goes against an aggressive defence. Havili had a good go last year.. and I understand combinations developing, but a midfield combo of Jordie and Rieko feels like a proper heavyweight midfield... so be interesting to see if Jordie and Rieko can work.

And if Wayne Smith thinks Jordie could make a good 12 who am i to argue?
Gumboot

Canes win 53-12
Gumboot

Grandpa wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:33 am
Gumboot wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:27 amWould you rather start the first test of the year with Havili or Jordie at 12?
Jordie against Ireland, so that we can see how he goes against an aggressive defence. Havili had a good go last year.. and I understand combinations developing, but a midfield combo of Jordie and Rieko feels like a proper heavyweight midfield... so be interesting to see if Jordie and Rieko can work.

And if Wayne Smith thinks Jordie could make a good 12 who am i to argue?
Rieko's another natural midfielder who was transplanted to the back three. Why not see how these guys do in combination, in their preferred positions?
Dan54

Yeah, nah.

I thought it looked like the Goodhue/ALB combo was getting settled in, but then they both get injured. At moment you would have to think any mid field players that look like lasting more than 4-5 games may get picked, as I reckon injuries to prferred players are what is stuffing up combos, you can't keep playing them if they broken all the time!
Gumboot

How often does Jordie break?
Guy Smiley

Nowhere near enough...

but that can change. Oh yes.
Torquemada 1420

Missed this one. Disappointing result for MP. I know they rested players but Canes were heading towards 2nd string too.
Jimmy Smallsteps

At 6"5 and 100kgs, I think Jordie Barrett would get cut in half at test level playing 12. And drop the ball in the process.
Dan54

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:09 am At 6"5 and 100kgs, I think Jordie Barrett would get cut in half at test level playing 12. And drop the ball in the process.
I not sure why you think that, he's shown no problems coming into line at midfield when playing 15. I prefer him at 15 myself, just because he the type of 15 I like at test level, perhaps a liitle more that Jordan. Not a biggie, and not knocking Will Jordan, just what I think is best for test at 15.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Dan54 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:20 am
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:09 am At 6"5 and 100kgs, I think Jordie Barrett would get cut in half at test level playing 12. And drop the ball in the process.
I not sure why you think that, he's shown no problems coming into line at midfield when playing 15. I prefer him at 15 myself, just because he the type of 15 I like at test level, perhaps a liitle more that Jordan. Not a biggie, and not knocking Will Jordan, just what I think is best for test at 15.
Playing 12 lends itself to a more direct form of contact, whereas 15 promotes a more evasive style. I think Jordie is more suited to the latter than the former, despite not being blessed with top end pace.
Torquemada 1420

I'm not buying into that either. I'm guessing those stats are similar to Fickou.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:09 am
I'm not buying into that either. I'm guessing those stats are similar to Fickou.
We may very well see then, won't we?