Super Rugby Pacific

Where goats go to escape
Kiwias

Debutant Bell gets the final try and a 53 - 15 score line.

Bridge too had a cracker of a game. I’d probably pick either Matera or Sam W as my MotM.
Ymx

Gumboot wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:42 am
Kiwias wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:29 am For the first time this year, the Crusaders are playing the way we expect them to: accuracy in the forwards, very strong defense, especially in the mid-field, and a dynamic back three.

The back row, particularly Blackadder and Matera, are in fine fettle, while Big Sam has found his mojo. Easily his best performance of the season.
Yep. Grace was another Saders forward to have a good night.
A predictable Sader performance, even.
Ymx

That game was good for the soul. That’s the team we know they were capable of being.

I’m seriously starting to wonder what kind of monster we have created with Matera. I worry also what he will bring back to the Pumas.
Gumboot

Ymx wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:08 pm
Kiwias wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:29 am For the first time this year, the Crusaders are playing the way we expect them to: accuracy in the forwards, very strong defense, especially in the mid-field, and a dynamic back three.

The back row, particularly Blackadder and Matera, are in fine fettle, while Big Sam has found his mojo. Easily his best performance of the season.
Against the Force? Sure. But it'll take a lot more than that performance to convince me they're back to being the consistently excellent Saders of old. Next week's game against the Brumbies will be a better indication.
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:44 pm Against the Force? Sure. But it'll take a lot more than that performance to convince me they're back to being the consistently excellent Saders of old. Next week's game against the Brumbies will be a better indication.
Really looking forward to this match.
Gumboot

Hurricanes vs Fijian Drua kicking of in Wellington in about15 minutes.

Hurricanes: Josh Moorby, Wes Goosen, Bailyn Sullivan, Billy Proctor, Salesi Rayasi, Aidan Morgan, TJ Perenara (c); Tyler Laubscher, Du’Plessis Kirifi, Blake Gibson, Justin Sangster, Isaia Walker-Leawere, Tyrel Lomax, Asafo Aumua, Xavier Numia. Reserves: Dane Coles, Tevita Mafileo, Owen Franks, Caleb Delany, TK Howden, Cameron Roigard, Jackson Garden-Bachop, Riley Higgins.

Fijian Drua: Kitione Taliga, Selestino Ravutaumada, Apsialome Vota, Jona Mataiciwa, Kitione Ratu, Caleb Muntz, Simione Kuruvoli; Te Ahiwaru Cirikidaveta, Kitione Salawa, Meli Derenalagi (c), Sorovakatini Tuifagalele, Isoa Nasilasila, Samuela Tawake, Zuriel Togiatama, Haereiti Hetet.
Reserves: Tevita Ikanivere, Meli Tuni, Manasa Saulo, Chris Minimbi, Raikabula Momoedonu, Leone Nawai, Teti Tela, Onisi Ratave.
Kiwias

Drua on a big down after the emotion of last week’s match in Fiji and are being torn apart.

45 - 0 with heaps of time left and the Canes are not even playing very well.
Kiwias

As much as I love watching O Franks back playing rugby in NZ, I do not like seeing him not in the Crusaders.

Now linked up with Dane Coles.
Gumboot

Not sure if I've ever mentioned how useless Garden-Bachop is, but he's fucking useless.
Gumboot

67-5

Ouch!
Ymx

Gumboot wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:44 pm

Against the Force? Sure. But it'll take a lot more than that performance to convince me they're back to being the consistently excellent Saders of old. Next week's game against the Brumbies will be a better indication.
It was a poke at your previous week comment (about typical performances).
Gumboot

Ymx wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:27 am
Gumboot wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:44 pm

It was a poke at your previous week comment (about typical performances).
Ah, right. Sorry bro, I didn't mean to be so mean.
Ymx

I’m still hurting

:grin:
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:42 am Ah, right. Sorry bro, I didn't mean to be so mean.
Gumboot

Guy Smiley wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:47 am
Gumboot wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:42 am Ah, right. Sorry bro, I didn't mean to be so mean.
There are times when exceptions simply must be made. :twisted:
Guy Smiley

:lol:
Torquemada 1420

Gumboot wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 5:22 am 67-5

Ouch!
That was a good one to miss then.
Gumboot

Ymx wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:37 am
Torquemada 1420 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:18 am
Guy Smiley wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:00 pm

Yup... can't remember where i read it but NZR were going to apply for an eligibility exemption on the basis that his selection was a certainty until he blew his knee.
I can't see that washing. You just know someone would use that as a way to bend the rules e.g. Spain!
They will use it how?

They will force someone to break their ACL?
They will get WR to change the eligibility from 5 years to another year.

It’s only because the eligibility is switching from 3 to 5 years this weird situation has happened Torq

Plus, it’s pretty easy to show he’s actually injured. Not playing the whole season. An ACL operation.

So I don’t exactly see how this could remotely prove a dangerous precedent to permit!!
This.

It was notable that when Kirwan started to talk about Fakatava's situation on The Breakdown and described it as being very unfair on him, the other talking heads moved away from that particular topic very quickly. Sounds like there are sensitive discussions going on between NZR and World Rugby, that they're probably anxious to not have play out in the media. Watch this space.
Guy Smiley

I'm going to have to put my hand up here and admit that as nauseous as it makes me feel, I'm in total agreement with Mark Reason today...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/3 ... all-blacks

Wade past the inevitable references to EPL that he seems to have to include in everything and cut to the chase....
You could hardly ever say that of an All Black, but you did start to wonder on last year’s end of year tour if a few of the staff and players weren’t quite fit to wear the socks. Some of the coaches don’t communicate well. Some of the players have too much power. Some of the ideas are stale. Some of the selection lacks the clarity of consistency. The All Blacks looked like a team who were starting to fray.
Yeah, ok... this is the Super Rugby thread and this is blindingly obvious, but it sets up the argument and... well, anyway-
We have seen that this weekend in Super Rugby. It was startling how much better the Blues, the Canes and the Highlanders played without their superstars at the helm. The Canes were a revelation. Without Ardie pumping those legs blindly ahead or Jordie smashing through the middle, the players suddenly started to look for teammates in space.

The young No 8 Tyler Laubscher gave Ardie Savea a lesson in taking the contact on behalf of a supporting teammate. The young first-five Aidan Morgan was smashed time and time again, but each time he laid off the perfect pass. The midfield ran decoys and in the wider channels Josh Moorby and Salesi Rayasi were always ready to put team-mates through.

Now I am not for a moment having a go at Jordie Barrett or Savea. But sometimes having superstars in a team can be a problem. Younger players defer to them. They let them dominate the decisionmaking even when they are wrong. They perhaps get more fearful about their own game. They can be intimidated.

Look at the Blues without Beauden Barrett. Or rather listen to Leon MacDonald’s assessment after the match. The coach said; “Stevie (Perofeta) did a good job of giving us good balance. Stevie changed the point of attack a lot tonight and still kicked well.

“We didn’t overkick or underkick. I thought we kicked smartly. We haven’t done that well in recent weeks. I think the balance of our attack was much better.”

Now the elephant in that particular room was Beaudy. Again this is not a criticism of him. But the fact is that the Blues looked much more of a team without him. Perofeta frequently took the ball to the line and then put in his support runners. In fact the Blues’ support play was fantastic throughout the match.

Again it’s about finding the right fit. Sam Cane is a superb player but the Chiefs looked more of a team last year when they went on their run without the All Blacks captain at the helm. They really came together and played for each other.

We saw some of the same with the Highlanders at the weekend. Aaron Smith has been a magnificent player over the years, but you wonder now if the team just revolves too much round him. Smith’s game is the pass, as we know, but the lack of a running option from No 9 has been hurting the Highlanders.
If the All Blacks are going to progress they need to realise very quickly that the wide game is becoming increasingly redundant against rush defences. They need a 9 who can snipe or who can run lateral patterns to put in runners coming off him. That is not Aaron Smith. He has been a great halfback but at the age of 33 his time is up.

No, the All Blacks need to make their case with World Rugby, which is a very strong one, to sort out Folau Fakatava’s immediate eligibility. When the Tongan born Fakatava came on against the Reds he changed the game. He has learned his pass at the feet of the maestro, but he also brings a brilliant running game and the ability to jackal like a third flanker.

Yes, his kicking needs to improve and he is still working back to fitness as his prior struggles against the Canes showed. But he is nearly there and he is the future. And if Super Rugby showed us one thing at the weekend it was that the All Blacks need to look to the future now. As TJ Perenara said, this country has some “freak athletes.” So let’s pick the young players who can play together and find them the space.

Former Crusader Tom Taylor said a few weeks ago; “They (the All Blacks) need to do things differently, they can't just rely on what they used to do. They’ve maybe got to be a bit more innovative, try something new, and try new tactics, some new game plans, because the same old thing isn't working any more... I feel like we are going a little bit backwards.”

The executive obsession with coaching continuity because the theory worked on a couple of occasions is being shown for the kooky canard it always was. Continuity works if the next person is up to the job. But if they are not, then it can breed staleness and a lack of innovation.

The weekend’s Super Rugby showed the men in charge of the All Blacks the way forward, the way to create a new team. The question is, do they have the vision to change?
A mate sent me the link to this and because I'm lazy I'm going to paste in my reply to him here...
I feel a bit sick…. I agree with Mark Reason😂. I guess the sheer momentum of ideas means that sooner or later the majority swing around behind a good one. It’s interesting that more and more people are going public with pretty much the things we’ve been saying. Naturally I enjoyed what he had to say about the Barretts but he’s clued onto the bigger picture there about big names and the automatic selections. The Blues are better without BB there, we can all see that. Teams are rejigged to fit Jordie in. Ardie is squeezed in out of place just to have him there. It’s been the ABs historic weakness… trying to fit players in out of place. Go back to Cullen and Leon MacDonald being moved in from FB as examples. I hope this tide of criticism achieves some changes but I think the executive branch of NZR have their heads up their arses and won’t listen. The whole organisation is rotten. A possible solution might be to put a woman like Farrah Palmer in charge. She’s rugby royalty and has been on the board for a while. She lectures in management at Massey. I reckon the old boys club needs a bullet.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Man alive there is a lot of truth to that Reason piece. :wtf:
Grandpa

Guy Smiley wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:28 pm I'm going to have to put my hand up here and admit that as nauseous as it makes me feel, I'm in total agreement with Mark Reason today...

I am in agreement with Mark Reason a lot... (Hell, I agree with Stephen Jones a lot too!) and again Mark is right on the money...

Foster won't pay any attention to it though...
convoluted

Yes, yes and yes to the above but Reason is referencing Blues and Hurricanes performances against the woeful Rebels and a particularly disinterested Drua missing the boisterous home support of a week earlier.
Kiwias

Grandpa wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:20 am
Guy Smiley wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:28 pm I'm going to have to put my hand up here and admit that as nauseous as it makes me feel, I'm in total agreement with Mark Reason today...

I am in agreement with Mark Reason a lot... (Hell, I agree with Stephen Jones a lot too!) and again Mark is right on the money...

Foster won't pay any attention to it though...
That is an excellent piece, and would have applied equally to the All Blacks ahead of the 1999 RWC.
convoluted

Maybe not the place for it, but a look inside the heads of so many of us these days:

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/sports/other/ ... d61238398e
Gumboot

convoluted wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:22 am Maybe not the place for it, but a look inside the heads of so many of us these days:

Yeah I've been losing interest in rugby for a few years, although it's been a life-long addiction...hopefully the current efforts to speed up the game will make a positive difference but probably not.

In the meantime, I've become a lot more interested in the NFL.
convoluted

Ha!
Re. the Reason article, Perofeta has kept No. 10 for the huge game against the Reds.
Beaudie shunted aside.

And for the Hurricanes, hat-trick Moorby 'has relegated' Jordie back to No 12 for this Saturday.
FalseBayFC

Gumboot wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:48 am
convoluted wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:22 am Maybe not the place for it, but a look inside the heads of so many of us these days:

Yeah I've been losing interest in rugby for a few years, although it's been a life-long addiction...hopefully the current efforts to speed up the game will make a positive difference but probably not.

My ideal rugby world would be a return to the Super 12 with 4 from each of Aus/NZ/SA. No more RWC but 4 test tours with the Lions/ABs/Boks and Wobs. With maybe the Nov tests against the NH teams.

Edit. meant no more Rugby Championship
Last edited by FalseBayFC on Thu May 12, 2022 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Certain Navigator

convoluted wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:01 am Ha!
Re. the Reason article, Perofeta has kept No. 10 for the huge game against the Reds.
Beaudie shunted aside.
Nice story, but sadly not true...
convoluted

Alas and alack, you are correct.
Perofeta is at fullback, Beaudie No. 10.
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:48 am

I don't agree with that article. He's making some sweeping claims that don't fit....
Sadly, folk here in New Zealand appear to have had their fill of rugby.
Nope... the NPC or whatever it's called this year is massive and has grown in the last few years.
The professional game is utterly unwatchable live.
Nope... there are some bad examples such as that Lions' series marred by time wasting. That's an issue. The scrum can still be a fuck around with too many resets and teams loitering to set piece play...

but I find most of the games I watch are very watchable to the point that... well, I actually enjoy it.
Where replays and talking heads help make the television experience tolerable, you simply cannot stay engaged and connected to games in person.
Nope. Replays have been around for years and certainly help when there's been An Event in the game. It helps if the producer has the sensitivity to air the replay during breaks in play... not when a break is made. Too often, that is also used to provide yet another opportunity for some mouthy wanker to prattle on and on proving that they're incapable of observing, understanding and talking at the same time while their knowledge of the Laws the game is played under is, far too often, inadequate.

Fuck the talking heads off. Give me basic commentary complementing the ref mic feed, no fashion victim ex players wanking on in panels before, during and after and ban halfbacks from speaking. Ever,.

I think the professional game is treading water in many ways and increasing the number of games between the big name teams is stagnating. I'd like to see some genuine effort put in to have more tests involving 'Tier 1' and 'Tier 2 or 3' nations and I'd like to see that happen as part of the RWC.

NZR is currently poorly managed at the top level, in my view. I think we're poorly served by an administration that has become complacent and possibly too compromised by a sort of incestuous relationship between players and management. I think the playing aspect of the game needs rugby people to manage it... and I think the board should be more weighted to people from a professional background committed to managing the business to best serve the game.

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as that hyperbolic piece makes out.
Gumboot

Guy Smiley wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:16 amI don't think it's anywhere near as bad as that hyperbolic piece makes out.
Maybe not, but it's not good.
Gumboot

Highlanders vs Force kicking off in 15 minutes.

Highlanders: 1-Ethan de Groot, 2-Andrew Makalio, 3-Jermaine Ainsley, 4-Bryn Evans, 5-Josh Dickson, 6-James Lentjes (cc), 7-Billy Harmon, 8-Marino Mikaele-Tu’u, 9-Aaron Smith (ccc), 10-Sam Gilbert, 11-Scott Gregory, 12-Thomas Umaga-Jensen, 13-Josh Timu, 14-Fetuli Paea, 15-Connor Garden-Bachop
Reserves: 16-Rhys Marshall, 17-Daniel Lienert-Brown, 18-Saula Mau, 19-Fabian Holland, 20-Hugh Renton, 21-Folau Fakatava, 22-Mitch Hunt, 23-Liam Coombes-Fabling

Force: 1-Tom Robertson, 2-Andrew Ready, 3-Santiago Medrano, 4-Jeremy Thrush, 5-Izack Rodda, 6-Fergus Lee-Warner, 7-Ollie Callan, 8-Tim Anstee, 9-Ian Prior, 10-Reesjan Pasitoa, 11-Manasa Mataele, 12-Bayley Kuenzle, 13-Kyle Godwin, 14-Byron Ralston, 15-Jake Strachan
Reserves: 16-Feleti Kaitu'u, 17-Angus Wagner, 18-Bo Abra, 19-Ryan McCauley, 20-Brynard Stander, 21-Michael McDonald, 22-Jake McIntyre, 23-Richard Kahui
Gumboot

It'll be interesting to see how Sam Gilbert goes at 10.
ASMO

Gumboot

Great start by the Highlanders, who race out to a 14-0 lead.
Kiwias

The rape continues. 28 - 5 after 22 mins.
Guy Smiley

Just tuned in in time to see the YC on Dixon.

Looks to be pretty fair to me... just a good example of how players need to adjust or pay the price. It's bloody quick and he's already low... but not low enough. The game is facing a massive shift over this.

Aaaand the Force score a well worked try.
Gumboot

28-10 at HT.
MungoMan

Guy Smiley wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:44 am Just tuned in in time to see the YC on Dixon.

Looks to be pretty fair to me... just a good example of how players need to adjust or pay the price. It's bloody quick and he's already low... but not low enough. The game is facing a massive shift over this.

Aaaand the Force score a well worked try.
All correct statements.

He will be asking himself ‘WTF was I supposed to do’ and it’s now up to defensive coaches to answer that question.
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:54 am It'll be interesting to see how Sam Gilbert goes at 10.
Better than 2022 Hunt.