Your All Blacks squad vs Ireland

Where goats go to escape
Jimmy Smallsteps

Perhaps the Kiwi coaching conundrum is similar to our amazing food production.

We export the best and are left with the inferior goods, with a few notable exceptions*.

*Namely Razor.
Guy Smiley

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:16 pm Perhaps the Kiwi coaching conundrum is similar to our amazing food production.

We export the best and are left with the inferior goods, with a few notable exceptions*.

*Namely Razor.
I don't shop there regularly, but Countdown do a very good Chorizo.
Kiwias

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:16 pm Perhaps the Kiwi coaching conundrum is similar to our amazing food production.

*Namely Razor.
Rangi and Joe Schmidt raise their hands.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Gumboot wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:41 pm
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:08 pm Jesus Christ. Richie Mo'unga is leaving but that's okay because he's never lived up to his potential. By the way, Damian McKenzie is coming back and I think he could make a good 10, so all is well.

:lol:

Fuck me. The state of some posters.

Simmer down, Jim. The news of his departure must be very distressing for all you Cantabs right now, but the Faultless One will still be around next year to win us the World Cup. :thumbup:
As well as being lazy, your Cantab call is inaccurate. I live in Auckland and support The Highlanders. I viewed the potential replacement of Richie with DMac negatively because DMac is an inferior player and not a test 10's ringpiece, not because Richie is from Canterbury.
Gumboot

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:31 am
Gumboot wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:41 pm
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:08 pm Jesus Christ. Richie Mo'unga is leaving but that's okay because he's never lived up to his potential. By the way, Damian McKenzie is coming back and I think he could make a good 10, so all is well.

Fuck me. The state of some posters.

Simmer down, Jim. The news of his departure must be very distressing for all you Cantabs right now, but the Faultless One will still be around next year to win us the World Cup. :thumbup:
As well as being lazy, your Cantab call is inaccurate. I live in Auckland and support The Highlanders. I viewed the potential replacement of Richie with DMac negatively because DMac is an inferior player and not a test 10's ringpiece, not because Richie is from Canterbury.
Ah well, it was made in response to your lazy and inaccurate summation of my comments re Mo'unga and McKenzie, so I guess that makes us even. :thumbup:
Jimmy Smallsteps

It wasn't inaccurate, I was right in summarising your stance.
Gumboot

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:02 am It wasn't inaccurate, I was right in summarising your stance.
Pretty sure I've never suggested "all is well" coz I've never even thought that, let alone posted it. You nailed everything else, though.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Gumboot wrote:He's never quite established himself as our top test 10, so it's probably for the best. Barrett's clearly back ahead of him in the pecking order now. And McKenzie's coming home.
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote:Jesus Christ. Richie Mo'unga is leaving but that's okay because he's never lived up to his potential. By the way, Damian McKenzie is coming back and I think he could make a good 10, so all is well.
Gumboot

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:42 am
Gumboot wrote:He's never quite established himself as our top test 10, so it's probably for the best. Barrett's clearly back ahead of him in the pecking order now. And McKenzie's coming home.
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote:Jesus Christ. Richie Mo'unga is leaving but that's okay because he's never lived up to his potential. By the way, Damian McKenzie is coming back and I think he could make a good 10, so all is well.
:lol: Another fucking spin doctor. Just what the world needs.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Gumboot wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:52 am
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:42 am
:lol: Another fucking spin doctor. Just what the world needs.
Don't knock spin doctors. It got the PM the biggest job in the country.
FalseBayFC

Barrett
Perofeta
Plummer
Ioane
Gatland
Trask
Reihana
Mo'unga
Burke
Hickey
Bank
Hunt
Garden Bachop
Aiden Morgan

Are the Soup no.10s. Absent Mo'unga and with McKenzie back, who are the top 3? Also who do you guys has the best chance to break out and challenge for a position. ie. youngsters with long term prospects? Any outstanding young talents not on that list you back to be challenging for a 2027 RWC frontrunner position?
Gumboot

FalseBayFC wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:16 amAbsent Mo'unga and with McKenzie back, who are the top 3? Also who do you guys has the best chance to break out and challenge for a position. ie. youngsters with long term prospects? Any outstanding young talents not on that list you back to be challenging for a 2027 RWC frontrunner position?
No idea who the top 3 tens will be in 2027. There will be a few youngsters who aren't even on the radar yet, but of those that already are, the only one I'd rate as a serious long-term prospect is Zarn Sullivan. He's played most of his rugby at 10, although the Blues are using him mostly at 15.
Grandpa

Gumboot wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:01 am
FalseBayFC wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:16 amAbsent Mo'unga and with McKenzie back, who are the top 3? Also who do you guys has the best chance to break out and challenge for a position. ie. youngsters with long term prospects? Any outstanding young talents not on that list you back to be challenging for a 2027 RWC frontrunner position?
No idea who the top 3 tens will be in 2027. There will be a few youngsters who aren't even on the radar yet, but of those that already are, the only one I'd rate as a serious long-term prospect is Zarn Sullivan. He's played most of his rugby at 10, although the Blues are using him mostly at 15.
I'd have Perofeta as the next best 10 currently... I actually prefer him to Barrett at the Blues...
Gumboot

Grandpa wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:48 am
I'd have Perofeta as the next best 10 currently... I actually prefer him to Barrett at the Blues...
Yep, I'd love him to get capped but just can't help having this nagging doubt about his tackling.
Grandpa

Gumboot wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:53 am

Yep, I'd love him to get capped but just can't help having this nagging doubt about his tackling.
Is he any worse than Mo'unga or Barrett? None of them excel in that area...
Gumboot

Grandpa wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:08 am
Gumboot wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:53 am

Is he any worse than Mo'unga or Barrett? None of them excel in that area...
True. Sullivan's defence has always been sound.
Gumboot

Changed the thread title, as the 36-man test squad of the year's being named tomorrow. I've gone for a 20 forwards -16 backs split, and I'm assuming Papalii's going to be back in time; if not, Cullen Grace comes in.

20 Forwards:
Dane Coles, Samisoni Taukei'aho, Cody Taylor
George Bower, Ethan de Groot, Ollie Norris
Nepo Laulala, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Angus Ta'avau
Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Scott Barrett, Tupou Vaa'i, Josh Lord
Sam Cane (c), Ardie Savea, Akira Ioane, Luke Jacobson, Hoskins Sotutu, Dalton Papalii

16 Backs
Aaron Smith, Finlay Christie, Folau Fakatava
Beauden Barrett, Richie Mo'unga, Stephen Perofeta
Quinn Tupaea, Jack Goodhue, David Havili, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Rieko Ioane
Jordie Barrett, Will Jordan, Sevu Reece, Caleb Clarke, Zarn Sullivan

One or two contentious selections... Get in! :wave:
Dan54

Gumboot wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:36 am Changed the thread title, as the 36-man test squad of the year's being named tomorrow. I've gone for a 20 forwards -16 backs split, and I'm assuming Papalii's going to be back in time; if not, Cullen Grace comes in.

20 Forwards:
Dane Coles, Samisoni Taukei'aho, Cody Taylor
George Bower, Ethan de Groot, Ollie Norris
Nepo Laulala, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Angus Ta'avau
Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Scott Barrett, Tupou Vaa'i, Josh Lord
Sam Cane (c), Ardie Savea, Akira Ioane, Luke Jacobson, Hoskins Sotutu, Dalton Papalii

16 Backs
Aaron Smith, Finlay Christie, Folau Fakatava
Beauden Barrett, Richie Mo'unga, Stephen Perofeta
Quinn Tupaea, Jack Goodhue, David Havili, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Rieko Ioane
Jordie Barrett, Will Jordan, Sevu Reece, Caleb Clarke, Zarn Sullivan

One or two contentious selections... Get in! :wave:
Nothing to contentious, I would doubt whether Zarn would make it , and would think perhaps MABs (I think someone was telling me he eligible) is a much better fit. I think a few selections that perhaps not looked at as in top 23 maybe better to have a run with Maori. I also wonder if Lord will make team, I a fan of the kid but not sure they will carry 5 locks for 3 tests. Grace may get in as a loosie that can cover lock in real emergency, but it is home series so not sure that is really needed anyway, remember new squad will be named for RC anyway.
Gumboot

Dan54 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:07 pmNothing to contentious, I would doubt whether Zarn would make it , and would think perhaps MABs (I think someone was telling me he eligible) is a much better fit. I think a few selections that perhaps not looked at as in top 23 maybe better to have a run with Maori. I also wonder if Lord will make team, I a fan of the kid but not sure they will carry 5 locks for 3 tests. Grace may get in as a loosie that can cover lock in real emergency, but it is home series so not sure that is really needed anyway, remember new squad will be named for RC anyway.
No doubt Fainga'anuku will get picked ahead of Zarn, and Hodgman or Ross ahead of Norris. I think it would be sensible to retain Lord, with Whitelock getting old in the tooth and Retallick also no youngster. It won't surprise me if one or both of them don't make it to the next RWC. But yeah, you're probably right about Grace - there's a lot to like about him.
Gumboot

Announcement coming up in a few minutes. Meanwhile, we're being regaled with hymns and other Christian bollocks. WTF??

Highly offensive and inappropriate, imo. :thumbdown:
Gumboot

This is ridiculous. I hope we're never subjected to this kind of abomination again. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Mr Bungle

#keepnzrsecular
Gumboot

Mr Bungle wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:55 pm #keepnzrsecular
I may be mistaken, but aren't there one or two Muslim All Blacks?

Incensed, I am. Grrr!
Mr Bungle

Prefer the sermon to this remix.
Gumboot

Forwards

Hookers: Dane Coles (Hurricanes, Wellington), Codie Taylor (Crusaders, Canterbury), Samisoni Taukei’aho (Chiefs, Waikato).

Props: Aidan Ross* (Chiefs, Bay of Plenty), George Bower, (Crusaders, Otago), Nepo Laulala (Blues, Counties Manukau), Ofa Tuungafasi (Blues, Northland), Karl Tu’inukuafe (Blues, North Harbour), Angus Ta’avao (Chiefs, Auckland).

Locks: Samuel Whitelock (Crusaders, Canterbury), Brodie Retallick (Chiefs, Hawkes Bay), Scott Barrett (Crusaders, Taranaki), Josh Lord (Chiefs, Taranaki), Tupou Vaa’i (Chiefs, Taranaki).

Loose forwards: Pita Gus Sowakula* (Chiefs, Taranaki) Sam Cane – Captain (Chiefs, Bay of Plenty), Dalton Papalii (Blues, Counties Manukau), Ardie Savea (Hurricanes, Wellington), Akira Ioane (Blues, Auckland) Hoskins Sotutu (Blues, Counties Manukau).

Backs

Halfbacks: Folau Fakatava* (Highlanders, Hawkes Bay), Aaron Smith (Highlanders, Manawatu), Finlay Christie (Blues, Tasman).

First five-eighths: Stephen Perofeta* (Blues, Taranaki), Beauden Barrett (Blues, Taranaki), Richie Mo’unga (Crusaders, Canterbury).

Midfielders: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck* (Blues, Auckland), Quinn Tupaea (Chiefs, Waikato), Jack Goodhue (Crusaders, Northland), Rieko Ioane (Blues, Auckland), David Havili (Crusaders, Tasman).

Outside backs: Leicester Fainga’anuku* (Crusaders, Tasman), Jordie Barrett (Hurricanes, Taranaki), Will Jordan (Crusaders, Tasman), Caleb Clarke (Blues, Auckland), Sevu Reece (Crusaders, Tasman).

Some of those to miss out include Perenara, Weber, de Groot (!), Grace, Jacobson...
Kiwias

Grace and de Groot very unlucky but very pleased to see Perofeta in there.
Gumboot

Kiwias wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:24 am Grace and de Groot very unlucky but very pleased to see Perofeta in there.
Yep, stoked for him. I'd just about given up hope. :lol:
Kiwias

A bit sad that Bridge has missed out but I doubt this is the last we will see of him in black.
Guy Smiley

Pretty predictable really...

stoked to see Fakatava and Perofeta into the team. I'm not so sure about RTS... there's a sniff of gratuitous backslappery about that. He's going to come up against a quality test side and needs to be right on the ball with organisation and defense. If ALB was available I guess he wouldn't have made it but you wonder how some of the other midfielders around the country feel seeing him in there... Nankivell is one example.

I don't rate Caleb Clarke as a test winger. I haven't seen him produce anything at Super level that says he's a standout candidate. I hope he can prove me wrong.

Intriguing mix of fresh new talent into the team combined with a perception of staleness for me. Question marks over Coles, Retallick, Whitlock and Cane making to to the RWC so seeing competition for their spots provided selections allow it.
Dan54

Gumboot wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:55 pm This is ridiculous. I hope we're never subjected to this kind of abomination again. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
What part of NZ do you live in? The naming was done in a Samoan Fale , and so was following the protocols that suited the place. It didn't affect the naming as all stuff was done before 12 when the team was named.
Dan54

Guy Smiley wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:10 am Pretty predictable really...

stoked to see Fakatava and Perofeta into the team. I'm not so sure about RTS... there's a sniff of gratuitous backslappery about that. He's going to come up against a quality test side and needs to be right on the ball with organisation and defense. If ALB was available I guess he wouldn't have made it but you wonder how some of the other midfielders around the country feel seeing him in there... Nankivell is one example.

I don't rate Caleb Clarke as a test winger. I haven't seen him produce anything at Super level that says he's a standout candidate. I hope he can prove me wrong.

Intriguing mix of fresh new talent into the team combined with a perception of staleness for me. Question marks over Coles, Retallick, Whitlock and Cane making to to the RWC so seeing competition for their spots provided selections allow it.
Yep fairly predictable, and RTS won't probably get any game time against Ireland, Foster said he was there so they could got to his work ons, which as he wasn't elible for MABs I can understand. I do think we have to remember that team is named for this series only, and another naming for RC squad comes after. Not sure what question marks there are over Retallick and Cane, although I guess they will be watching Coles and Sam W to see if they fading.
I actually generally happy with team, I thought maybe one or two different ones, but sure as hell I haven't watched players as hard as selectors have.
Gumboot

Dan54 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:34 am
Gumboot wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:55 pm This is ridiculous. I hope we're never subjected to this kind of abomination again. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
What part of NZ do you live in? The naming was done in a Samoan Fale , and so was following the protocols that suited the place. It didn't affect the naming as all stuff was done before 12 when the team was named.
It should never have been held there in the first place. Inclusive - not! Massive fail.
Gumboot

Is our game beholden to the sky pointers now? Hymns and prayers before a team naming? Gimme a fucking break! What next?
Gumboot

Such a clunky message... I almost imagined it was Israel Folau giving that... "blessing"...
FalseBayFC

Gumboot wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:28 am Such a clunky message... I almost imagined it was Israel Folau giving that... "blessing"...
Well you do have the Lord selected as a backup lock...
Thor Sedan

So the team that was dominated by North Hemisphere teams is the majority of this team?

Is there any glimpse in to how Foster is looking at finding parity or domination in the breakdown (where we were being blasted), any combination in midfield that can offer more than going into contact clumsily or shuffling off to the next guy - a solid belief in a particular number 10 that the backline can be built from - a examination of where we were struggling in set pieces whether scrums or lineouts?

It just seems like a same old same old set up. As much as Coles, Cane and the like have given us soo much success - shouldn't this be the time to get something different going? RWC 2023 is just over a year away - I hold out next to 0% belief that we can be somewhere near the finals.....so why not go into the tournament with a bunch a really good younger players with a couple of old heads through the spine of the team?

Not sure why I thought Foster would even entertain that idea....but....
Gumboot

Thor Sedan wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:02 pm So the team that was dominated by North Hemisphere teams is the majority of this team?

Is there any glimpse in to how Foster is looking at finding parity or domination in the breakdown (where we were being blasted), any combination in midfield that can offer more than going into contact clumsily or shuffling off to the next guy - a solid belief in a particular number 10 that the backline can be built from - a examination of where we were struggling in set pieces whether scrums or lineouts?

It just seems like a same old same old set up. As much as Coles, Cane and the like have given us soo much success - shouldn't this be the time to get something different going? RWC 2023 is just over a year away - I hold out next to 0% belief that we can be somewhere near the finals.....so why not go into the tournament with a bunch a really good younger players with a couple of old heads through the spine of the team?

Not sure why I thought Foster would even entertain that idea....but....
Bang on!
Dan54

Gumboot wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:16 am
Dan54 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:34 am
It should never have been held there in the first place. Inclusive - not! Massive fail.
Well I ask again what part of the country do you live in where you didn't know the naming was being done in the Fale, and you get upset at what happens before naming. The team naming was stated as being at 12 oçlock, there was nothing but team naming from that time. Why is it not inclusive to have a greeting in Maori, an Island cultural thing and then the team was named in English? What must of really got you upset the team was going to be read out by a WOMAN, Farrah Palmer was meant to do it but weather caused her flight to be postponed.
Geez I thought I was an old grouchy bugger, but your red neck seems to of trumped me no end.
There have been namings done from Maraes, schools etc too over the years, it doesn't have to be done in hall with an English style ceremony .
FalseBayFC

Something many South Africans have in common with Samoans and Fijians and other PIs is a strong Christian faith. It does rub many up the wrong way.
Attachments
samoa-southafrica2003-rwc-huddle.jpg
samoa-southafrica2003-rwc-huddle.jpg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 556 times
FalseBayFC

Gumboot wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:57 pm
Mr Bungle wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:55 pm #keepnzrsecular
I may be mistaken, but aren't there one or two Muslim All Blacks?

Incensed, I am. Grrr!
Ofa Tuungafasi is Muslim.