2023 personal goals

Where goats go to escape
mat the expat

Niegs wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:41 am
mat the expat wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:04 am
Niegs wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:58 pm Settle down ... maybe.
Never!
Yeah, you're right! Scratch that.

... I've actually given myself one more month. Applied for about 8 local jobs, another 12 elsewhere. If I get none, I'm going walkabout Europe (I think). :lol:
:crazy: :grin: :crazy:

When I move to Newy, we'll have spare rooms aplenty - get a job at the Uni there!
Niegs

mat the expat wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:40 am
Niegs wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:41 am
mat the expat wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:04 am

Never!
Yeah, you're right! Scratch that.

... I've actually given myself one more month. Applied for about 8 local jobs, another 12 elsewhere. If I get none, I'm going walkabout Europe (I think). :lol:
:crazy: :grin: :crazy:

When I move to Newy, we'll have spare rooms aplenty - get a job at the Uni there!
Careful, I'd take you up on that ... but I fear being arrested as I owe the gov't a couple hundred in unpaid tax! :lolno:
mat the expat

Lol, they won't chase you for that amount.

Anyhoo - always welcome :thumbup:
Niegs

mat the expat wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:02 am Lol, they won't chase you for that amount.

dpedin

Day 4 of Dry January and doing ok. Actually glad to have stopped what was becoming a dangerous drinking habit with 9pm becoming 'Gin time' every night! Aim is to either play golf or go to gym for 6 days per week and stop eating bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. Luckily I love vegetables and can happily stuff my face with brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, kale, sweet potato, sweetcorn or peas alongside some lean protein like chicken or steak. Also instead of having toast with butter etc for breakfast I am having porridge every day made with water and salt with a small dod of jam or some sultanas mixed in. Would hope to lose about a stone over course of January? So far so good .... ask me again in 27 days time!
Sandstorm

dpedin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:23 pm Day 4 of Dry January and doing ok. Actually glad to have stopped what was becoming a dangerous drinking habit with 9pm becoming 'Gin time' every night! Aim is to either play golf or go to gym for 6 days per week and stop eating bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. Luckily I love vegetables and can happily stuff my face with brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, kale, sweet potato, sweetcorn or peas alongside some lean protein like chicken or steak. Also instead of having toast with butter etc for breakfast I am having porridge every day made with water and salt with a small dod of jam or some sultanas mixed in. Would hope to lose about a stone over course of January? So far so good .... ask me again in 27 days time!
Good luck mate
mat the expat

Niegs wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:06 pm
mat the expat wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:02 am Lol, they won't chase you for that amount.

:grin:
Dan54

Well I off to Aus for a week or so in march (catch up with mates), biut main goal is hopefully organising trip up North to Wales, England etc later in year.
Our Golden wedding anniversary this year so thought may just have a low out holiday, one last one.
Guy Smiley

dpedin wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:23 pm Day 4 of Dry January and doing ok. Actually glad to have stopped what was becoming a dangerous drinking habit with 9pm becoming 'Gin time' every night! Aim is to either play golf or go to gym for 6 days per week and stop eating bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. Luckily I love vegetables and can happily stuff my face with brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, kale, sweet potato, sweetcorn or peas alongside some lean protein like chicken or steak. Also instead of having toast with butter etc for breakfast I am having porridge every day made with water and salt with a small dod of jam or some sultanas mixed in. Would hope to lose about a stone over course of January? So far so good .... ask me again in 27 days time!
Best of luck :thumbup:

I throw some sultanas and cinnamon into my porridge mix, adds a bit of decent flavour.
Insane_Homer

get down to 84 kg
build muscle
sleep better
fix shoulder
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Sandstorm

Insane_Homer wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:13 am
fix shoulder
Do it. I have surgery on mine 5 years ago and it’s changed my life. I can pour a glass of wine without pain. :smile:
Fonz

Hugo wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:21 pm
Ymx wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:30 am What are your personal goals?

Mine are
- make the most of the time with my daughter while she still likes me. She’s 9, and still likes a cuddle with her Daddy.
Yeah, treasure those years. My daughter & I were very, very close when she was younger (Daddy's girl) but now shes2a teen and the relationship is just not the same. It's heartbreaking tbh.

For my personal goals, one thing I am in the process of doing is getting into counselling to deal with some of the issues that I have that have been plaguing me for some time. I really want to get on top of my mental health once & for all and be truly happy.
Damn, best of luck to you sir. I became a father a week ago to a little baby girl (my first child), so this really fuckin gets me now. I’ve actually been frantically trying to plot out how I’m gonna bond with her as it occurred to me when I got the news a little lady was coming that I, as someone who only ever had a brother and male friends in childhood, know square root of fuck all about girls from birth up until about the age of 14.

I will say — despite, spoiler alert, being a guy — I was an utter, utter cunt to my father as a teenager, and we’re just fine now, better than ever really. Just gotta weather the storm man. Easier said than done, I know, but still.
Fonz

Gonna be a hell of a year for me; plotting out a big move across country (Boston is bleeding me dry, nice place for sure but not worth staying unless you’re from here tbh). It will involve a lot of hoop-jumping given my line of work, all while juggling a job and a newborn. But if all goes to plan I should be in a great place by summer 2024…just gotta stay focused…
mat the expat

Fonz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:34 am I became a father a week ago to a little baby girl (my first child), so this really fuckin gets me now. I’ve actually been frantically trying to plot out how I’m gonna bond with her as it occurred to me when I got the news a little lady was coming that I, as someone who only ever had a brother and male friends in childhood, know square root of fuck all about girls from birth up until about the age of 14.
Congrats!

You'll ace it I'm sure :clap:
Gumboot

mat the expat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:42 am
Fonz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:34 am I became a father a week ago to a little baby girl (my first child), so this really fuckin gets me now. I’ve actually been frantically trying to plot out how I’m gonna bond with her as it occurred to me when I got the news a little lady was coming that I, as someone who only ever had a brother and male friends in childhood, know square root of fuck all about girls from birth up until about the age of 14.
Congrats!

Congratulations, Fonz! :thumbup:

That's the thing about babies - they don't come with instruction manuals. You'll be fine.
assfly

Finish and submit my PhD proposal.

Do another marathon, perhaps something a bit longer this time.
Monkey Magic

Keep soon to be new born alive
Keep current kid alive
Keep wife from killing me
Keep sane dealing with the above

Get to at least one live pro game of rugby at Eden Park
Get myself into an exercise schedule by March once we adjust a little to the newborn
Gumboot

Seems like the Year of the Rabbit is off to a prolific start.
Slick

Fonz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:34 am

Mine are
- make the most of the time with my daughter while she still likes me. She’s 9, and still likes a cuddle with her Daddy.
Yeah, treasure those years. My daughter & I were very, very close when she was younger (Daddy's girl) but now shes2a teen and the relationship is just not the same. It's heartbreaking tbh.

For my personal goals, one thing I am in the process of doing is getting into counselling to deal with some of the issues that I have that have been plaguing me for some time. I really want to get on top of my mental health once & for all and be truly happy.
Damn, best of luck to you sir. I became a father a week ago to a little baby girl (my first child), so this really fuckin gets me now. I’ve actually been frantically trying to plot out how I’m gonna bond with her as it occurred to me when I got the news a little lady was coming that I, as someone who only ever had a brother and male friends in childhood, know square root of fuck all about girls from birth up until about the age of 14.

I will say — despite, spoiler alert, being a guy — I was an utter, utter cunt to my father as a teenager, and we’re just fine now, better than ever really. Just gotta weather the storm man. Easier said than done, I know, but still.
Congratulations mate, great news! And don't worry, girls rock and I find my young one much easier than her brother, you will be fine.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
dpedin

Gumboot wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:01 am
mat the expat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:42 am
Congrats!

That's the thing about babies - they don't come with instruction manuals. You'll be fine.
Congratulations Fonz. You will have immediately fallen in love with your daughter and everything you do will in her eyes be just perfect. She will love you unconditionally and you will have a bond with her that you would never have thought possible. She will have you under her thumb almost immediately. All this will last until her teenage years during which time she will treat you as uncool, a pain and an embarrassment in front of her friends ... but away from them you will be the first she will look to for help when she has a problem. By her late teens onwards things will improve and you will both laugh about the 'difficult years'. You will love, and worry about her, every minute of the journey. Enjoy!
Fonz

dpedin wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:30 pmCongratulations Fonz. You will have immediately fallen in love with your daughter and everything you do will in her eyes be just perfect. She will love you unconditionally and you will have a bond with her that you would never have thought possible. She will have you under her thumb almost immediately. All this will last until her teenage years during which time she will treat you as uncool, a pain and an embarrassment in front of her friends ... but away from them you will be the first she will look to for help when she has a problem. By her late teens onwards things will improve and you will both laugh about the 'difficult years'. You will love, and worry about her, every minute of the journey. Enjoy!
Absolutely wonderful dpedin, thank you so much for this :grin:
Fonz

Slick wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:25 amCongratulations mate, great news! And don't worry, girls rock and I find my young one much easier than her brother, you will be fine.
Cheers buddy, much appreciated! I actually always did want both boys and girls, but I guess things going from the theoretical to the actual puts things in a much different light! Unlike most things in life, I don't feel bad being a bit anxious about this :lol:

But it's been an amazing few days. Loving every second.

Re the bolded, I've had a lot of people telling me this. I find it funny the conventional wisdom apparently suggests the opposite, as in my experience women at pretty much every age are more mature and responsible. Almost everyone I knew who seriously stumbled in life was a guy, whereas the girls kept their shit together.
Fonz

mat the expat wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:42 amCongrats!

Thanks my friend, I appreciate it :smile:

Gumboot wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:01 am

Cheers Gumboot!
Ymx

I was terrified before my daughter was born.

I took 3 weeks off work, and banned my mother in law from staying.

It’s crucial bonding time, and I wanted to be there 24x7 and didn’t want my MIL telling us what we were doing wrong, and taking over. Sounds selfish in hindsight, but I’d do it again.

My wife had a c section, so I was the only one who could take her for walks. Plus not having boobies with milk meant I was the only one who could cuddle her to sleep.

Have a brilliant relationship with my daughter (9 now).

Excited for you Fonz !

And welcome to making the move over here!!
Jim Lahey

Congrats Fonz!

Similar to you, I grew up with 2 older brothers. No proper female friends until Uni. Our dog was even a fella. 7 male cousins, no females.

And now I have 3 daughters aged 2-6 :lol:

Girls are great. Much less hassle than boys from what I have observed from mates with boys. Less fighting, less mess, less likely to get pissed on when changing them, less whinging/crying, they are much more affectionate and love a good cuddle etc.. The main drawback imo is that its a pain in the arse doing their hair in the morning.

I really wanted a boy first up and was a little disappointed when I heard I was having a girl. But I absolutely adore my eldest, with whom I have the strongest bond as we can do more cool stuff when we hang out. I'm sure it will be the same with the other 2 once they are of age but part of me thinks the bond will always be that bit more special with your eldest girl, so enjoy!

The whole world tells me that I'm in the shit in 10 years time with 3x moody teenage girls in the house. I welcome the challenge with open arms :thumbup: :lol:
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
mat the expat

Jim Lahey wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:17 am
The whole world tells me that I'm in the shit in 10 years time with 3x moody teenage girls in the house. I welcome the challenge with open arms :thumbup: :lol:
My first beer was at a mate's house - she was one of 4 sisters and their mum.

Her dad met me, a 14 year old, and went "alright son, you want a beer?"

:grin:
Sards

Congrats boet...

2 boys , 14 and 9
9 year old is feisty and likes to prod the bear, so it always gets to the point in the evening where I have to say...." give me a f@#$#n break"
Gumboot

Sards wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:02 am Congrats boet...

2 boys , 14 and 9
9 year old is feisty and likes to prod the bear, so it always gets to the point in the evening where I have to say...." give me a f@#$#n break"
Are your boys as keen on the blades and triggers as you, Sards?
Enzedder

Back in about 2010 I made a personal goal that I have religiously stuck to - probably the only one I ever stuck to.

"Stop making personal goals and New Years Resolutions"

Man I feel so much better for it.

#Nolongeraloser
I drink and I forget things.
Sards

Gumboot wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:20 am

2 boys , 14 and 9
They have a collection of their own. I keep it locked in the safe. Also love airsoft. Have a few guns and a submachine gun
Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:49 am Keep soon to be new born alive
Keep current kid alive
Keep wife from killing me
Keep sane dealing with the above

Get to at least one live pro game of rugby at Eden Park
Get myself into an exercise schedule by March once we adjust a little to the newborn
So far nicu team doing most of the heavy lifting on goal 1
Extended family sorting out goal 2
Goal 1 distracting wife from killing me
Goal 4 a lot more likely as keeping away from the drinks.

Turns out the goal for 2023 was to outsource everything and I'm nailing it
Gumboot

Sards wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:13 pm
Gumboot wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:20 am

2 boys , 14 and 9
They have a collection of their own. I keep it locked in the safe.
You don't trust them with deadly weapons?
dpedin

Guy Smiley wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:37 am

I throw some sultanas and cinnamon into my porridge mix, adds a bit of decent flavour.
Day 26 and still going strong! However my plan for Dry January have been ruined by an invite to celebrate my mates retiral on 28th preceded by free tickets for the Man City v Arsenal Cup game at the Etihad the night before! Having not had a drop I will fall over after 2 drinks.

Actually enjoying the no alcohol, diet and exercise plan. Diet is pretty simple - porridge with raisins/jam for breakfast, home made vegetable soup for lunch and loads of chicken/steak for tea with as much veg as I can eat. I occasionally stick in a chick pea and spinach curry or spicy stir fry instead. No potatoes, bread, pasta or rice. As long as I have volume then I'm happy. Ticking along about 1500-1600 calories a day - I am using MyfitnessPal to keep track of consumption,

Been golfing (carrying a half set) or gym circuit 6 days out of 7, depending on the weather, and I am knackered by the time I get to rest day. However getting used to it.

I've not weighed myself but feel like I have lost a few lbs around the waist, couple of mates have asked if I have lost weight. More interestingly my resting heart rate, according to my Apple Watch, is now 10-15% lower than before and sitting around 50'ish. Gut health is much better too. Also been playing best golf of my life recently with scores below 80 every day. Weights are also easier in the gym. However one days golf I ran out of energy about 4 holes from home and now make sure I have enough calories before I play!

Apart from this Friday/Saturday I have decided to stick with the no alcohol, diet and exercise plan until the end of March and see where I get to.
inactionman

dpedin wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:21 pm

Day 26 and still going strong! However my plan for Dry January have been ruined by an invite to celebrate my mates retiral on 28th preceded by free tickets for the Man City v Arsenal Cup game at the Etihad the night before! Having not had a drop I will fall over after 2 drinks.

Actually enjoying the no alcohol, diet and exercise plan. Diet is pretty simple - porridge with raisins/jam for breakfast, home made vegetable soup for lunch and loads of chicken/steak for tea with as much veg as I can eat. I occasionally stick in a chick pea and spinach curry or spicy stir fry instead. No potatoes, bread, pasta or rice. As long as I have volume then I'm happy. Ticking along about 1500-1600 calories a day - I am using MyfitnessPal to keep track of consumption,

Been golfing (carrying a half set) or gym circuit 6 days out of 7, depending on the weather, and I am knackered by the time I get to rest day. However getting used to it.

I've not weighed myself but feel like I have lost a few lbs around the waist, couple of mates have asked if I have lost weight. More interestingly my resting heart rate, according to my Apple Watch, is now 10-15% lower than before and sitting around 50'ish. Gut health is much better too. Also been playing best golf of my life recently with scores below 80 every day. Weights are also easier in the gym. However one days golf I ran out of energy about 4 holes from home and now make sure I have enough calories before I play!

Apart from this Friday/Saturday I have decided to stick with the no alcohol, diet and exercise plan until the end of March and see where I get to.
:thumbup:

Great work mate - and fantastic you're really feeling the difference.

I've totally let myself go, far too many easy excuses with kiddie care, work stresses, beer tasting good - need to set targets and stick to them.
Hugo

Fonz wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:34 am

Mine are

Sorry I am late replying to this, my world has been topsy turvy of late - congratulations to you!

Any time you want advice reach out. In life I really think it is important to seek out people who have done things that you are going to at some point in the future. Tap into their knowledge and their experiences.
dpedin

inactionman wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:06 pm

I've totally let myself go, far too many easy excuses with kiddie care, work stresses, beer tasting good - need to set targets and stick to them.
Still going strong with plan. Apart from my 24 hours pass for boozing and taking in the Man City v Arsenal FA cup game, I am still off the booze and not had a drop. Still playing golf/going to the gym 6 days out of 7 and dieting. Daily diet has settled down to what I described earlier - porridge with a few raisins/dollop of jam for breakfast, vegetable soup with extra veg for lunch and lots of protein and veg for tea. I have supply of rice cakes for odd nibble. I have one small treat a day ie biscuit, macaron, etc.

I have lost 9kg since 1st Jan. More importantly resting heart rate has dropped by 10-15%, it is now low at just below 50, and my blood pressure is now normal at 120/80 or slightly just below that. Circuit at the gym - especially my core exercises ie crunches, planks etc - is so much easier. Delighted with weight loss, health and exercise improvements. I also notice that my golf is improving and my dodgy knees are giving me less pain as I exercise more and lose weight.

Plan is to continue to end of March and see where I have got to. I've told everyone I know that I am following the plan so the embarrassment of stopping it now is greater than the effort of sticking to the plan! I started at 106kg and am a 63 old 5'10" geezer so well over weight to begin with. If I continue as I am then I reckon, with a big push, I can get to 85kg. I am pretty muscular build given the weights I lift so I would be delighted with getting to 85Kg. Maybe I should go for 80kg .....
dpedin

dpedin wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:06 am

Still going strong with plan. Apart from my 24 hours pass for boozing and taking in the Man City v Arsenal FA cup game, I am still off the booze and not had a drop. Still playing golf/going to the gym 6 days out of 7 and dieting. Daily diet has settled down to what I described earlier - porridge with a few raisins/dollop of jam for breakfast, vegetable soup with extra veg for lunch and lots of protein and veg for tea. I have supply of rice cakes for odd nibble. I have one small treat a day ie biscuit, macaron, etc.

I have lost 9kg since 1st Jan. More importantly resting heart rate has dropped by 10-15%, it is now low at just below 50, and my blood pressure is now normal at 120/80 or slightly just below that. Circuit at the gym - especially my core exercises ie crunches, planks etc - is so much easier. Delighted with weight loss, health and exercise improvements. I also notice that my golf is improving and my dodgy knees are giving me less pain as I exercise more and lose weight.

Plan is to continue to end of March and see where I have got to. I've told everyone I know that I am following the plan so the embarrassment of stopping it now is greater than the effort of sticking to the plan! I started at 106kg and am a 63 old 5'10" geezer so well over weight to begin with. If I continue as I am then I reckon, with a big push, I can get to 85kg. I am pretty muscular build given the weights I lift so I would be delighted with getting to 85Kg. Maybe I should go for 80kg .....
Almost got to the end of March as planned but had a bit of a blip when three mates stayed for a week to play golf etc - diet and no alcohol went south! However after the week of debauchery I'm back on the wagon and sticking to diet. So far Ive lost any weight gain and in total lost nearly 2st - about 12-13kgs - since 1st January and feeling so much better for it! Most weight loss is around my stomach and makes gym so much easier, also golf swing and rotation is so much better! I'm also feeling benefits of gym work more now and muscle definition without the thick layer of flab is much better. Any lingering pangs for sugar or alcohol went in the first few weeks of the diet and it is easier now to stick to the diet. I still need and want to lose the remaining 8kg of my original target.

Plan is now to continue to end of April now using same plan. Diet - porridge + jam/raisins for breakfast, veg soup or chicken for lunch, veg and protein, usually chicken/steak for tea. No alcohol. Golf or gym 6 days out of 7 each week. With spring here now I am also thinking of getting the bike out for some short daily morning runs just to get the metabolism up and running before golf or gym sessions later.
GogLais

Should get to see the Botticellis in the Uffizi. That’ll do me.
Hugo

dpedin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:27 am
dpedin wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:06 am

Almost got to the end of March as planned but had a bit of a blip when three mates stayed for a week to play golf etc - diet and no alcohol went south! However after the week of debauchery I'm back on the wagon and sticking to diet. So far Ive lost any weight gain and in total lost nearly 2st - about 12-13kgs - since 1st January and feeling so much better for it! Most weight loss is around my stomach and makes gym so much easier, also golf swing and rotation is so much better! I'm also feeling benefits of gym work more now and muscle definition without the thick layer of flab is much better. Any lingering pangs for sugar or alcohol went in the first few weeks of the diet and it is easier now to stick to the diet. I still need and want to lose the remaining 8kg of my original target.

Plan is now to continue to end of April now using same plan. Diet - porridge + jam/raisins for breakfast, veg soup or chicken for lunch, veg and protein, usually chicken/steak for tea. No alcohol. Golf or gym 6 days out of 7 each week. With spring here now I am also thinking of getting the bike out for some short daily morning runs just to get the metabolism up and running before golf or gym sessions later.
Well done.