Super Rugby Pacific 2023

Where goats go to escape
MungoMan

Auckman wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:37 am
Grandpa wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:33 am
Auckman wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:25 am

It’s the inconsistency between refs which gets my goat
I wonder if there is any law for how long or far advantage is applied? Other refs come back unless a try is scored...
Exactly.
Indeed. Which is why a finite and predictable time or distance for penalty advantage is such a damned good thing I could kiss the ref, slip the tongue in and give his arse a squeeze.
Kiwias

Auckman wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:37 am
Grandpa wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:33 am
Auckman wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:25 am

It’s the inconsistency between refs which gets my goat
I wonder if there is any law for how long or far advantage is applied? Other refs come back unless a try is scored...
Exactly.
When BB forgot to ground the ball then stepped on the dead ball line in the Chiefs game, Blues were under an advantage. The ref actually brought them back for the penalty -- totally ludicrous call.
broeyes

Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:52 am When BB forgot to ground the ball then stepped on the dead ball line in the Chiefs game, Blues were under an advantage. The ref actually brought them back for the penalty -- totally ludicrous call.
Indeed.

Also if its a knock on and your team gets possession and make it 1cm past where the ball was knocked on it should be advantage over.
Gumboot

broeyes wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:42 am
Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:52 am When BB forgot to ground the ball then stepped on the dead ball line in the Chiefs game, Blues were under an advantage. The ref actually brought them back for the penalty -- totally ludicrous call.
Indeed.

Also if its a knock on and your team gets possession and make it 1cm past where the ball was knocked on it should be advantage over.
Nah, I see your point, but 1cm is hardly advantage over. Also, do you really want TMOs weighing in on a difference of centimetres?
Torquemada 1420

Gumboot wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:26 am
Indeed.

Nah, I see your point, but 1cm is hardly advantage over. Also, do you really want TMOs weighing in on a difference of centimetres?
Tough one this. Ideally you want advantage to be black and white e.g. 5 phases. But that simply would result in arguments that an advantage wasn't had. That said, the inconsistencies are maddening and the BB one was simply insane. Personally, I think if you kick the ball away, that should be immediate advantage over i.e. let's encourage ball in hand.
Guy Smiley

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:17 am

Indeed.

Tough one this. Ideally you want advantage to be black and white e.g. 5 phases. But that simply would result in arguments that an advantage wasn't had. That said, the inconsistencies are maddening and the BB one was simply insane. Personally, I think if you kick the ball away, that should be immediate advantage over i.e. let's encourage ball in hand.
I always though kicking the ball signalled advantage taken. The current interpretation seems too heavily geared towards the offence itself and not recognition of opportunity used.
Grandpa

Guy Smiley wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:49 pm

I always though kicking the ball signalled advantage taken. The current interpretation seems too heavily geared towards the offence itself and not recognition of opportunity used.
That's usually "knock on" advantage isn't it? Kicking it away... with a penalty, unless you regain the kick immediately, the ref blows for the penalty.. advantage over?
Ymx

Grandpa wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:10 pm

That's usually "knock on" advantage isn't it? Kicking it away... with a penalty, unless you regain the kick immediately, the ref blows for the penalty.. advantage over?
Absolutely correct.

It needs to be deemed advantageous over the restart type it would be.

So if you could possibly slot a 3, it should always get called back.

If for a scrum, then any territory gain is advantage.
Grandpa

Ymx wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:54 pm

Absolutely correct.

Say if you score a drop goal when on an advantage.. can the captain make a cheeky request to the ref that they'd still rather have the penalty please.... so they can kick for the corner? :grin:
Guy Smiley

Grandpa wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:12 pm
Ymx wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:54 pm

Absolutely correct.

Say if you score a drop goal when on an advantage.. can the captain make a cheeky request to the ref that they'd still rather have the penalty please.... so they can kick for the corner? :grin:
ha... nah. The score is gained and that's it. I did mean to say non penalty advantage earlier, bit sleepy.
broeyes

Indeed.

If your team gathers the ball from a knock on you basically already have an advantage. You've regained possession for free. Setting scrums for a knock on is just a waste of time. Minimal distance past where the knock on occured is plenty of advantage.

An example was Blues Vs Rebels in the weekend. Blues get a scrum after a knock on and then the Blues get a free kick after the Rebels scrum folded. Blues ask for another scrum. This happened over and over again throughout the game and endless scrum resets is boring.

Quick advantage over is better.

Team A knocks on. Team B regathers plays on for a few phases - makes a bit of ground. Advantage over. Then knocks on too. Team A regathers plays on for a bit. Advantage over. Then knocks on again. Team B regathers plays on and makes there way up field. No scrum resets. :thumbup:
Grandpa

broeyes wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:25 am

Indeed.

If your team gathers the ball from a knock on you basically already have an advantage. You've regained possession for free. Setting scrums for a knock on is just a waste of time. Minimal distance past where the knock on occured is plenty of advantage.

An example was Blues Vs Rebels in the weekend. Blues get a scrum after a knock on and then the Blues get a free kick after the Rebels scrum folded. Blues ask for another scrum. This happened over and over again throughout the game and endless scrum resets is boring.

Team A knocks on. Team B regathers plays on for a few phases - makes a bit of ground. Advantage over. Then knocks on too. Team A regathers plays on for a bit. Advantage over. Then knocks on again. Team B regathers plays on and makes there way up field. No scrum resets. :thumbup:
Didn't ELVs almost do away with scrums? I seem to remember constant tap and go's? Funny looking at the ELVs... a lot of the laws are still with us... like passing back into your own 22 and kicking out on the full...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experimen ... variations
Gumboot

The Supe Rugby site has only 4 games listed for Round 8 and just one game featuring NZ sides (Canes v Chiefs). No Sunday games listed. This can't be right, Shirley? What am I missing? :???:
Guy Smiley

Rd's 8 and 9 are bye rounds...

4 games each weekend.
Gumboot

Only 4 games last weekend as well. How many friggin' bye rounds are there?
Guy Smiley

Gumboot wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:33 am Only 4 games last weekend as well. How many friggin' bye rounds are there?
That'll be the set. What we need now is a feature round with all the games played... I dunno, maybe in Esposito, to help promote the game to a new market.
Grandpa

Guy Smiley wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:38 am
Gumboot wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:33 am Only 4 games last weekend as well. How many friggin' bye rounds are there?
That'll be the set. What we need now is a feature round with all the games played... I dunno, maybe in Esposito, to help promote the game to a new market.
Is that a real place?
Torquemada 1420

Annoyingly, you can't download the Soup programme for this week
https://www.flipsnack.com/tahs2015/srp2 ... -view.html

:evil:
Monkey Magic

broeyes wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:25 am

Indeed.

Worse than the resets is scrum penalties. You knock on, the opposition shave a few rucks and make ground but still come back for the scrum. Next minute you're 3 points down
Guy Smiley

Grandpa wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:19 am
Is that a real place?
Hell yeah… want to buy some tickets?
Grandpa

Guy Smiley wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:02 pm
Grandpa wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:19 am

Is that a real place?
Hell yeah… want to buy some tickets?
They real tickets? :clap: :grin:

Quick question... Is Super Rugby on free to view tv in NZ?
Enzedder

One game a week on Free to Air - delayed coverage
I drink and I forget things.
Grandpa

Enzedder wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:11 pm One game a week on Free to Air - delayed coverage
Do you think this is part of the reason kids aren't into rugby so much nowadays? When I was growing up there was rugby on TV all the time... League and Union... and with only one and then later, two channels... you almost had to watch rugby whether you liked it or not...... :clap: :lol:
Torquemada 1420

Up too late for this one. That had to be MP's last chance of registering a win. Very, very disappointing season.
Gumboot

Canes vs Chiefs kicking off in about 30 minutes...

Hurricanes: 1-Xavier Numia, 2-Asafo Aumua, 3-Tyrel Lomax, 4-James Blackwell, 5-Dominic Bird, 6-Devan Flanders, 7-Du'Plessis Kirifi, 8-Ardie Savea, 9-Cameron Roigard, 10-Aidan Morgan, 11-Salesi Rayasi, 12-Jordie Barrett, 13-Peter Umaga-Jensen, 14-Julian Savea, 15-Josh Moorby
Reserves: 16-Dane Coles, 17-Tevita Mafileo, 18-Pasilio Tosi, 19-TK Howden, 20-Brayden Iose, 21-Peter Lakai, 22-Jamie Booth, 23-Harry Godfrey

Chiefs: 1-Aidan Ross, 2-Samisoni Taukei’aho, 3-George Dyer, 4-Brodie Retallick, 5-Tupou Vaa’i, 6-Pita Gus Sowakula, 7-Sam Cane (CC), 8-Luke Jacobson, 9-Brad Weber (CC), 10-Damian McKenzie, 11-Etene Nanai-Seturo, 12-Rameka Poihipi, 13-Daniel Rona, 14-Emoni Narawa, 15-Shaun Stevenson
Reserves: 16-Bradley Slater, 17-Ollie Norris, 18-John Ryan, 19-Naitoa Ah Kuoi, 20-Samipeni Finau, 21-Cortez Ratima, 22-Bryn Gatland, 23-Peniasi Malimali
Jb1981

A couple of really nice tries so far.

Afternoon rugby :thumbup:
Kiwias

A big :thumbup: for afternoon rugby -- 2:30pm was the regular kick-off for ages and it feels right.

Beautiful try by Roigard
Jb1981

What’s Nisbett on about re. an early tackle? Savea had touched that so was fair game. Does he think they need to stand back to see if he might regather?
Gumboot

Jb1981 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:54 amAfternoon rugby :thumbup:
Yep, arvo footy is best footy.

Canes ahead 17-8 at HT.
Kiwias

Ratima is another bloody good young scrummie. Chiefs now leading 25 - 17
Jb1981

If I was a Chiefs fan I would be very unhappy with the length of that advantage for a knock on.
Gumboot

McKenzie just brings such high value in so many facets... and for the full 80 as well.
Gumboot

Chiefs win 33-17, keeping the Canes scoreless in the second half.
Grandpa

Roigard has to make the World Cup squad...
Certain Navigator

Grandpa wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:41 am Roigard has to make the World Cup squad...
You'd have to think so, although Ratima is pretty handy as well. The difference is that Roigard's getting a lot more game time.
Certain Navigator

Gumboot wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:19 am McKenzie just brings such high value in so many facets... and for the full 80 as well.
The trouble is that so much of it is low quality. Repeatedly turned the ball over, threw multiple passes to no one, presented the backs outside him with no coherent picture of what he was doing, and his goalkicking was rubbish.

But he did get a good try at the end.
Dan54

Gumboot wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:19 am McKenzie just brings such high value in so many facets... and for the full 80 as well.
I go along with this. He's probably at this stage of season the only 10 that looks like he is controlling the game.
Grandpa

Certain Navigator wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:35 am
Grandpa wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:41 am Roigard has to make the World Cup squad...
You'd have to think so, although Ratima is pretty handy as well. The difference is that Roigard's getting a lot more game time.
Exciting for whoever's the next All Blacks coach :grin:
Guy Smiley

Clayton McMillan has signed on to continue with the Chiefs until 2026... and steps down from looking after the Maori ABs.

link
In his two and a half seasons at the Chiefs’ helm to date, McMillan boasts the best win percentage of any coach in their history. His 73% tops even two-time title-winner Dave Rennie (68%), while John Mitchell (55%), Colin Cooper (53%) and Ian Foster (50%) are the only others to have recorded more wins than they did losses.

And, having already shown what he was capable of, this year there’s a determination to get the job fully done, as the Chiefs hunt their first crown since 2013 – the longest current title-drought of any Kiwi side.

To that end, McMillan, said it was an easy decision to re-sign.

“I’m really loving my work there, and really didn’t see any need to look elsewhere,” he said.

“I think every coach and every player probably entertains the idea about heading overseas at some stage, but right here and now, it’s just not for me.

“I’m certainly no spring chicken but I’m not over the hill just yet, so I feel like I’ve got plenty to offer at this level, and a lot to learn, still, and opportunities domestically or overseas will come, but only if I do a decent job here. So it’s a pretty simple formula for me.”

Asked the reason around for going early, and the 2026 end date – which could open up the possibility of linking up with a nation before the 2027 World Cup – McMillan said it was “multi-faceted” and that “the stars kind of aligned”.

“If I survive that amount of time then I’ve been in the job six years, and generally speaking I think that’s about as much as people will tolerate me... I’ll start getting the seven-year itch,” he quipped.

“I’ve got young kids that are at school, in 2026 my son will be finished high school, and that’s a big stepping stone having him finished.

“We’ve got a young roster that is maturing nicely, and I want to continue to be part of their growth. We’ll be losing some experienced people at the end of this season, so I think it’s important that we have a lot of stability around the group with that anticipated change.”
Interesting move for him to make, really. He's clearly committed and wants to manage the transition and development within the squad which is great to see. Stepping away from the Maori ABs may well be a workload related decision which is understandable although I really enjoyed seeing the flair he bought to their play. I'm a big fan of his coaching and hope we get to see him stay in NZ. I suspect that he's like Razor in that he is primarily a head coach type and an assistant role with the national side probably wouldn't suit him... so this announcement sharpens the focus on just who Razor will name as his assistants. I'd say Ryan would be a no brainer as forwards coach but a backs / tactical assistant will be an interesting choice. Good luck, Rangi.
Kiwias

Crusaders clearly not taking the Rebs lightly, naming a strong team, the bench in particular looking very good.