The holiday thread

Where goats go to escape
Slick

salanya wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:51 pm Madeira for me and the other half too next month.
Heard lovely things about it.
It’s a great place, very relaxed, very safe and surprisingly cheap.

The old town is nice in the evening, especially if you walk out the main drag and explore the wee bars and restaurants in the side streets and further up the hill.

Getting a car and exploring the far side of the island is awesome, but not for the faint hearted.

DO NOT CRITICISE RONALDO
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
inactionman

Nowhere that involves any flying just yet - just as kids aren't quite ready for it yet.

We've booked a cottage near Laggan in the Cairngorms for a week, it's pretty isolated so we've booked a second week in Tomintoul on the other side of the Cairngorms so we can have a few dinners out.

I've somehow manged to totally miss that the first cottage runs Friday to Friday and the second Saturday to Saturday, so we're homeless on the middle Friday night. :oops:

Really looking forward to the week in Laggan, was tempted to put kids into a forest school for a few days as they love playing outdoors.
dpedin

inactionman wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:28 am Nowhere that involves any flying just yet - just as kids aren't quite ready for it yet.

We've booked a cottage near Laggan in the Cairngorms for a week, it's pretty isolated so we've booked a second week in Tomintoul on the other side of the Cairngorms so we can have a few dinners out.

I've somehow manged to totally miss that the first cottage runs Friday to Friday and the second Saturday to Saturday, so we're homeless on the middle Friday night. :oops:

Really looking forward to the week in Laggan, was tempted to put kids into a forest school for a few days as they love playing outdoors.
Used to drive the Dalwinnie to Fort William road around top of Loch Laggan regularly some years ago, usually in the morning, and it was just beautiful. Lots of fantastic walking around there plus some outdoor activities nearby. Have fun.
Insane_Homer

Was hoping for a week in Italy ~ August. That's just been scuppered :cry:
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Jock42

inactionman wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:28 am Nowhere that involves any flying just yet - just as kids aren't quite ready for it yet.

Took a wander up Geal Chàrn a couple of weeks ago not far from Laggan. Stunning part of the country.
SaintK

I'm going back to my childhood and the Thanet coast in Kent
Booked a very nice looking house in Whitstable in June and will visit the old places I remember from 60 years ago which I should imagine are startlingly different now
Have booked a number of excellent looking restaurants including one I have wanted to visit for a very long time
Hope the weather is kind
duke

SaintK wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:21 am I'm going back to my childhood and the Thanet coast in Kent
Booked a very nice looking house in Whitstable in June and will visit the old places I remember from 60 years ago which I should imagine are startlingly different now
Have booked a number of excellent looking restaurants including one I have wanted to visit for a very long time
Hope the weather is kind
If you are heading inland towards Canterbury, I can recommend the Fordwich Arms and the Foundry Brew Pub - excellent food at the former and great beer and rum at the latter when we went there earlier in the year.
SaintK

Thanks! We've been to The Fordwich Arms...............terrific place. Have booked their sister restaurant The Bridge Arms in errr Bridge just outside Canterbury. Also booked The Sportsman in Seasalter which we've wanted to go to for bloody years.
There are also some terrific looking restaurants in Herne Bay, Westgate and Margate as well as Whitstable itself. Going to be spoiled for choice
TheNatalShark

Nearly fully given up on the UK so using attempted deposit savings to do Interrail Narvik to Sicily for 2 months (hopefully before Grant Schapps inadvertently does something that ejects us from the scheme) before zoning in new job.

Flexible route back will be either 'along' coasts of France or zigzag west Germany, depending on which one is on strike/fire/under water at the time. :thumbup:
inactionman

dpedin wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:54 am
Spoiler
Show

Used to drive the Dalwinnie to Fort William road around top of Loch Laggan regularly some years ago, usually in the morning, and it was just beautiful. Lots of fantastic walking around there plus some outdoor activities nearby. Have fun.
Jock42 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:00 am
Spoiler
Show

Took a wander up Geal Chàrn a couple of weeks ago not far from Laggan. Stunning part of the country.
It looks lovely, we've tended to stay Pitlochry way (we've another cottage booked for autumn half term in Strathtay) and drive up to Aviemore and environs, I've only driven up by Laggan on our way to and from Skye so I don't know it at all. Looking forward to exploring!

A long shot here, but don't suppose anyone knows any decent kid's forest schools/holiday camps up that neck of the woods? Would kill two birds with one stone if we could get them in for a day or two - give the kids some exposure to The Great Outdoors and we'd quite like to give a munro (maybe Geal Chàrn) a shot but the kids are still far too young

I've seen adverts for places like Lagganlia but they look a bit more residential.
Jock42

Can't help with the kids unfortunately.
Slick

My boy did his first Munro at 5 with me. A very easy one mind and I’d probably only take one kid at a time at this stage anyway
vball

My mate does canoe trips/overnight camping on islands in middle of the loch. Unfortunately that is up past Lairg.
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
inactionman

Slick wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:49 pm My boy did his first Munro at 5 with me. A very easy one mind and I’d probably only take one kid at a time at this stage anyway
My girls are so close in age that it's quite difficult to dissuade one whilst encouraging the other, they hate being left out - it's ultimately a great attitude but can make it tricky!

I need to brush up on my Monros (Munroes? Munri?) and start with the easier. Which one did you go for? (anything with snow, crampons or lack or immediate air rescue is off the cards)
inactionman

vball wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:50 pm My mate does canoe trips/overnight camping on islands in middle of the loch. Unfortunately that is up past Lairg.
We've had a look at the Queen Elizabeth park and there's controlled camping around the three Lochs, I think that might make a good baptism for a bit of camping and kayaking, canoeing or paddleboarding. Thinking we might do it slightly out of peak season, as it's only about 90 mins from Edinburgh.
Slick

inactionman wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:53 pm
Slick wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 2:49 pm My boy did his first Munro at 5 with me. A very easy one mind and I’d probably only take one kid at a time at this stage anyway
My girls are so close in age that it's quite difficult to dissuade one whilst encouraging the other, they hate being left out - it's ultimately a great attitude but can make it tricky!

I need to brush up on my Monros (Munroes? Munri?) and start with the easier. Which one did you go for? (anything with snow, crampons or lack or immediate air rescue is off the cards)
The first one was Ben Chonzie, looking at Schiehallion in a couple of weeks
inactionman

Slick wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:00 pm

Ben Chonzie (and Schiehallion ) look a quick enough drive from Edinburgh, might line that up for a Sunday when the kids have too much energy.

I'll have to check if there's any easy ones near Laggan (South West Cairngorms)
Slick

inactionman wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:03 pm
Slick wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:00 pm

Ben Chonzie (and Schiehallion ) look a quick enough drive from Edinburgh, might line that up for a Sunday when the kids have too much energy.

I'll have to check if there's any easy ones near Laggan (South West Cairngorms)
Yup, Chonzie easy to get to and no technical stuff at all really, very good first one to try.
Paddington Bear

A lot of talk of Scotland so here goes:

For complex reasons I will have the best part of two months off this summer. I'm already doing the Pennine Way, suggestions for one or two good multi-day walking routes in Scotland?

I'm a pretty accomplished walker, call me soft but really don't like camping and if possible would like to avoid having to wear a midge net. All suggestions welcome.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
robmatic

Paddington Bear wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:29 pm A lot of talk of Scotland so here goes:

For complex reasons I will have the best part of two months off this summer. I'm already doing the Pennine Way, suggestions for one or two good multi-day walking routes in Scotland?

I'm a pretty accomplished walker, call me soft but really don't like camping and if possible would like to avoid having to wear a midge net. All suggestions welcome.
Speyside Way is good if you like whisky. Not super challenging in terms of walking as it's mostly quite flat but you can fit in some nice distillery visits and there are names around every corner that you recognise from whisky bottles. For us it was quite straightforward to do in 5 days or so without needing to camp as there were sufficient B&B options.
C69

EnergiseR2 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:30 pm C69 I'm staying near the Marina in April. Bringing the young fella to.a match. I detest football and I wasn't doing Liverpool so this better shut him up.
ER2 where did you stay and any tips ? Looking forward to this now but first.
Crete in 6 weeks for a quiet family beach all inclusive.
Where I will be fecking dragged on the mother of all water park relentlssly day in day out.
Oh and any suggestions of decent places to visit near Heraklion anyone?
Can't wait to consume vast amounts of Cretan food
Slick

Paddington Bear wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 3:29 pm A lot of talk of Scotland so here goes:

I presume you know the West Highland Way? I’m actually very keen to do the Hadrians Wall one

Edit: I thought I’d got you addicted to Walk Highlands? - they have all the multi-day routes
GogLais

Smooth trip across the Emerald Isle on the M whatever it is. I didn’t know they had motorways.
Jock42

Slick wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:05 pm

I presume you know the West Highland Way? I’m actually very keen to do the Hadrians Wall one

Edit: I thought I’d got you addicted to Walk Highlands? - they have all the multi-day routes
Hadrians Wall looks decent, walking with the wounded do a charity event for it.

Have you seen their new app?
Slick

Jock42 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:08 pm

Walk Highlands? Yup, a decent first attempt!
Paddington Bear

Yeah you did - it's a cracking site but there's so many options.
WHW is probably the leading contender but a little concerned about how busy it might be in high summer. Skye Trail looks amazing, but maybe a bit much if I'm going to be a princess about camping, which I am.
robmatic wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:29 pm Speyside Way is good if you like whisky. Not super challenging in terms of walking as it's mostly quite flat but you can fit in some nice distillery visits and there are names around every corner that you recognise from whisky bottles. For us it was quite straightforward to do in 5 days or so without needing to camp as there were sufficient B&B options.
Cheers - sounds like a stagger not a walk!
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Slick

Paddington Bear wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:58 pm

WHW is probably the leading contender but a little concerned about how busy it might be in high summer. Skye Trail looks amazing, but maybe a bit much if I'm going to be a princess about camping, which I am.
robmatic wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:29 pm Speyside Way is good if you like whisky. Not super challenging in terms of walking as it's mostly quite flat but you can fit in some nice distillery visits and there are names around every corner that you recognise from whisky bottles. For us it was quite straightforward to do in 5 days or so without needing to camp as there were sufficient B&B options.
My experience of WHW is that it gets “Scottish busy” which is easily manageable. Well worth it I would say
dpedin

My son, his girlfriend and her father along with a couple of friends are doing the 3 Peaks Challenge - Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis in 24 hours - this weekend coming. They are doing an annual challenge in memory of her mother who died suddenly a couple of years ago. They first challenge was cycling Lands End to John O'Groats in 12 days last summer which they achieved. They have been training for the last few months regularly walking/running up Ben Vorlich, Ben Chonzie, etc, doing night walks, orienteering courses, etc. Needless to say they are pretty fit but it all depends on weather and traffic. Fingers crossed. Raising money for charity and last year hit c£15k, a more modest target this year has already been hit.
Jim Lahey

dpedin wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:21 am My son, his girlfriend and her father along with a couple of friends are doing the 3 Peaks Challenge - Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis in 24 hours - this weekend coming. They are doing an annual challenge in memory of her mother who died suddenly a couple of years ago. They first challenge was cycling Lands End to John O'Groats in 12 days last summer which they achieved. They have been training for the last few months regularly walking/running up Ben Vorlich, Ben Chonzie, etc, doing night walks, orienteering courses, etc. Needless to say they are pretty fit but it all depends on weather and traffic. Fingers crossed. Raising money for charity and last year hit c£15k, a more modest target this year has already been hit.
Sounds epic, hope it goes well.
Must be at least 4 hours (without traffic) from bottom of Snowdon to bottom of Scafell. What is transfer time from Scafell to Ben Nevis? Must be 4-5 hours up and down each peak as well so sounds a tough challenge!
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
dpedin

Jim Lahey wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:33 am
dpedin wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:21 am My son, his girlfriend and her father along with a couple of friends are doing the 3 Peaks Challenge - Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis in 24 hours - this weekend coming. They are doing an annual challenge in memory of her mother who died suddenly a couple of years ago. They first challenge was cycling Lands End to John O'Groats in 12 days last summer which they achieved. They have been training for the last few months regularly walking/running up Ben Vorlich, Ben Chonzie, etc, doing night walks, orienteering courses, etc. Needless to say they are pretty fit but it all depends on weather and traffic. Fingers crossed. Raising money for charity and last year hit c£15k, a more modest target this year has already been hit.
Sounds epic, hope it goes well.
Must be at least 4 hours (without traffic) from bottom of Snowdon to bottom of Scafell. What is transfer time from Scafell to Ben Nevis? Must be 4-5 hours up and down each peak as well so sounds a tough challenge!
Timing is very tight so they will be running some of the climbs. A problem with traffic will be enough to put them off schedule but they will try their hardest to do them within 24 hours. I personally think they are mad!

I have climbed each of them - part of a team carrying my mates disabled son in his wheelchair up and down each plus Carrauntoohil the highest peak in Ireland - but we did that over 4 years, usually in June! He has very bad cerebral palsy but loved the climbs and getting to the top of each. The only mistake we made was to forget to factor in that he would go through a growth spurt during the 4 years, we did the first one when he was 9 or 10 and he must have been about 50% heavier on the last climb compared to the first! He is 30 this year and reminds me every June of the climbs we did together.
Paddington Bear

Slick wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:22 pm

My experience of WHW is that it gets “Scottish busy” which is easily manageable. Well worth it I would say
Got it - thanks. There's something quite attractive about finishing up at the other end of the high street to a sleeper train home. Kirk Yetholm and the end of the Pennine Way is a schlep to get anywhere
robmatic

Jock42 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:08 pm

The middle section of the Hadrian's Wall path is excellent but the eastern section (Newcastle to Chesters) is not so enjoyable - there's a day spent walking through Newcastle and then a day walking along the side of a B road.
Blackmac

Paddington Bear wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:28 am
Slick wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:22 pm

Got it - thanks. There's something quite attractive about finishing up at the other end of the high street to a sleeper train home. Kirk Yetholm and the end of the Pennine Way is a schlep to get anywhere
You will definitely need to wild camp if doing the WHW as most accommodation is snapped up months in advance.
salanya

Slick wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:06 am
salanya wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:51 pm Madeira for me and the other half too next month.
Heard lovely things about it.
It’s a great place, very relaxed, very safe and surprisingly cheap.

The old town is nice in the evening, especially if you walk out the main drag and explore the wee bars and restaurants in the side streets and further up the hill.

Getting a car and exploring the far side of the island is awesome, but not for the faint hearted.

DO NOT CRITICISE RONALDO
Cheers Slick :thumbup:

And I shan't mention Ronaldo...
Over the hills and far away........
C69

EnergiseR2 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:22 pm
C69 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 5:52 pm
EnergiseR2 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:30 pm C69 I'm staying near the Marina in April. Bringing the young fella to.a match. I detest football and I wasn't doing Liverpool so this better shut him up.
ER2 where did you stay and any tips ? Looking forward to this now but first.
Crete in 6 weeks for a quiet family beach all inclusive.
Where I will be fecking dragged on the mother of all water park relentlssly day in day out.
Oh and any suggestions of decent places to visit near Heraklion anyone?
Can't wait to consume vast amounts of Cretan food
H10 Marina. Absolutely perfect in terms of that nexus between price and location. We were on the 10th floor facing towards the sagrada familia and their own gherkin building. I thought it might be a bit far out but it was right in the mix. You walked out and about 5 minutes away was Ciutadella Park and the other side of that was the gothic quarter. From the heart of that back to the hotel was a 20-25 minute walk and sagrada was the same. Obviously you can metro it but I like to stroll about. The Olympic Park area is about a 10 minute walk but it's pretty ho hum. In terms of getting to Nou Camp one change on metro and very straight forward walk from there. People everywhere but remarkably easy to get a train afterwards. All very civilised
Fuck me, that's the one we are staying at :wtf
C69

EnergiseR2 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:41 pm:lol:
Looking forward to the roof top pool and beach in the day.
Then exploring later on as I am going in the August heat
GogLais

Got to Aran so that’s ok. Very very few Brits to be seen, far more EUs, Americans and Canadians. Nice hearing Irish spoken.
GogLais

EnergiseR2 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:54 am
GogLais wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:43 am Got to Aran so that’s ok. Very very few Brits to be seen, far more EUs, Americans and Canadians. Nice hearing Irish spoken.
Inis Mor? Can be a bit busy but Dun Aonghasa is mad when you factor in its age and location
Indeed. I even thought we might the only people there. Highlight so far has been a sign in a toilet saying “Please excuse our appearance while we improve our faculties”.
GogLais

Seems a bit morbid having death notices and when to view the body on local radio. Different culture of course. And is there some Irish thing about diluting your whiskey with what looks like huge amounts of water?
dpedin

Snowdon and Scafell Pike done in good times yesterday. They are currently (as at 8am Monday) doing Ben Nevis and I dont think the weather is wonderful for them. Hopefully will make the 24 hour target safely .....