The Official Cricket Thread

Where goats go to escape
Deepsouth

So Australia have given the Indians a good old flogging in the World Test Championship Final. That is now 9 ICC major trophies in the cabinet and the first cricketing nation to win all major ICC trophies.

Go you good thing :spin
Biffer

England side for the first test, which has crept up on us and starts tomorrow

Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (captain), Jonny Bairstow (wicketkeeper), Moeen Ali, Stuart Broad, Ollie Robinson, James Anderson.

Unconvinced about the openers, but that middle order is exceptional. Big test for Harry Brook, but if he can get anywhere near maintaining the level he's been at in his test career so far (7 matches, 11 innings, 4 100s, 3 50s, 818 runs avg 81.8) then England have a genuine hot property. The bowling attack might need some cocoa and slippers at the end of each day but they're still damn good at a combined age of 140.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Paddington Bear

Starts Friday but otherwise on much the same page as you.

I worry for Ali - hasn't had a good test performance in ages, hasn't played first class in ages, and I think the Aussies will go hammer and tongs at him to force us to bowl our seamers into the ground. Getting Jimmy and Broad through five tests in six weeks is a tall enough order as it is.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Gumboot

Paddington Bear wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:45 pm Starts Friday but otherwise on much the same page as you.

I worry for Ali - hasn't had a good test performance in ages, hasn't played first class in ages, and I think the Aussies will go hammer and tongs at him to force us to bowl our seamers into the ground. Getting Jimmy and Broad through five tests in six weeks is a tall enough order as it is.
True, Leach is a big loss.

Is Ben Foakes injured, or did he just miss the cut once Bairstow regained fitness?
duke

Gumboot wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:59 am
Paddington Bear wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:45 pm Starts Friday but otherwise on much the same page as you.

True, Leach is a big loss.

Is Ben Foakes injured, or did he just miss the cut once Bairstow regained fitness?
Missed the cut. Responded by hitting a century against an admittedly weak Kent bowling attack.
Gumboot

That's harsh. I know you can't leave Bairstow out, but Foakes is an excellent test keeper, and a more than handy batter.
Paddington Bear

I haven't met many England fans that agree with the decision!
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Big D

I think then going after him will he'll in a strange way. He's used to batsmen going for him and he'll have more options in the field.

He's older and wiser than he was and know this is a free hit. Wouldn't surprise me if we get one extreme or the other.
Enzedder

Biffer wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:31 pm England side for the first test, which has crept up on us and starts tomorrow

Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (captain), Jonny Bairstow (wicketkeeper), Moeen Ali, Stuart Broad, Ollie Robinson, James Anderson.

Unconvinced about the openers, but that middle order is exceptional. Big test for Harry Brook, but if he can get anywhere near maintaining the level he's been at in his test career so far (7 matches, 11 innings, 4 100s, 3 50s, 818 runs avg 81.8) then England have a genuine hot property. The bowling attack might need some cocoa and slippers at the end of each day but they're still damn good at a combined age of 140.
This series will depend on England getting ahead of the Aussies in the middle order. I can't see it - Oz bowlers are streets ahead I reckon.

4 - 0
I drink and I forget things.
Biffer

This could be a belter of a series. I hope it is.
Paddington Bear

I’ve been really really looking forward to this series but have to say, the night before, I fear we’re about to get battered. Why is this sport so nervy
And 1 guest

My friend was wondering if anyone might have a friend with a link
Sandstorm

England choose to bat.

Cricinfo site is buckling under the pressure today. :lol:
Paddington Bear

Crawley shooting out the blocks
Thor Sedan

Feel like this first match will be a draw?

Looks like a stonking pitch to bat and score on. England to rattle up a ridiculous first innings total in stupid time. Aussie to bat for 6 sessions and then England to go guns blazing to set England 300 odd in 2 sessions??
Thor Sedan

400+ by the end of the day?
Paddington Bear

Lost that session unfortunately
Sandstorm

Thor Sedan wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:14 am 400+ by the end of the day?
3 down at lunch. Unlikely
Biffer

Sandstorm wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:15 pm
Thor Sedan wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:14 am 400+ by the end of the day?
3 down at lunch. Unlikely
Given the way England try to play, it just takes one of Root/Stokes/Brook/Bairstow to go on to a big score and it could easily happen. The big part of the England batting line-up is 4-7, the openers are looked on as flaky. Or they could be done for around 250. It's fascinating stuff.
clydecloggie

And 1 guest wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:37 am My friend was wondering if anyone might have a friend with a link
My friend had some success with relocating himself temporarily to Australia and making a free 9Now account.
Biffer

Freak dismissal to dismiss Brook and lower his Test average to 79.7
Sandstorm

Stokes goooorn for 1. 5 down in a hurry.
Biffer

England suffering from a lack of cricket? Stokes hasn't played for a while, neither has Bairstow. Ali not played red ball for yonks.
Sandstorm

Biffer wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:47 pm England suffering from a lack of cricket? Stokes hasn't played for a while, neither has Bairstow. Ali not played red ball for yonks.
Aus off a Test against India last week. England probabaly won't be super-sharp until the 3rd Test
tabascoboy

Stupid structure of the domestic season, terrific weather (for once) in the last 6 weeks but much the schedule given over to Twenty20 only in that time
JM2K6

Biffer wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:47 pm England suffering from a lack of cricket? Stokes hasn't played for a while, neither has Bairstow. Ali not played red ball for yonks.
Don't think any of the wickets have come from that. Just a good contest, with a freak dismissal and a continuation of Stokes' struggles.
SaintK

Two stumpings off Lyon, Bairstow and Ali forcing it much too much
323-7 on a 450+ wicket!!
Australia will b e well happy
Biffer

That was unexpected
tabascoboy

Biffer wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:10 pm That was unexpected
Interesting psychological move
Insane_Homer

Cracking 1st day :clap: :thumbup:
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Slick

SaintK wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:07 pm Two stumpings off Lyon, Bairstow and Ali forcing it much too much
323-7 on a 450+ wicket!!
I’m finding all this Bazball stuff increasingly cringy. Play positive Test cricket without all the nonsense - although in fairness it was mainly the commentators that were continually banging on about it. It’s not as if the Aussies, of all teams, are going to be particularly intimidated by it, they will just keep playing away.

The declaration, which is all part of it of course, just seems stupid, particularly in a first test
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Paddington Bear

Agreed on the declaration. It was a dumb gimmick and we may well have cause to miss the 40 runs or so we could have added
Sandstorm

Overcast and blustery today. Perfect for England’s swing bowlers I reckon.
tabascoboy

Slick wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:20 am
SaintK wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:07 pm Two stumpings off Lyon, Bairstow and Ali forcing it much too much
323-7 on a 450+ wicket!!
I’m finding all this Bazball stuff increasingly cringy. Play positive Test cricket without all the nonsense - although in fairness it was mainly the commentators that were continually banging on about it. It’s not as if the Aussies, of all teams, are going to be particularly intimidated by it, they will just keep playing away.

The declaration, which is all part of it of course, just seems stupid, particularly in a first test
Backing their bowlers, though it won't look good in hindsight if Aus rack up 500+ and we used 4 new ball overs for no reward . Weather is on the turn this weekend so runs in the bank might well have been the better option.
Slick

tabascoboy wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:34 am
323-7 on a 450+ wicket!!

Backing their bowlers, though it won't look good in hindsight if Aus rack up 500+ and we used 4 new ball overs for no reward . Weather is on the turn this weekend so runs in the bank might well have been the better option.
I can definitely see both sides of it, just seems a bit unnecessary. In saying that, with the weather changing maybe it’s genius!
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
duke

323-7 on a 450+ wicket!!

Nah, in Baz/Stokes we trust. I like that we tried something different and it means that we get two goes at the openers.

One of the comments from the journos stood out to me - you do what the opposition least want you to do. This struck me as just that, the Ozzies had been in the field all day and there was a decent chance of getting one of the openers cheaply
tabascoboy

Slick wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:46 am

I can definitely see both sides of it, just seems a bit unnecessary. In saying that, with the weather changing maybe it’s genius!
If we roll them over for 150 today, then we can put it down to genius :cool:
Paddington Bear

duke wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:50 am

Nah, in Baz/Stokes we trust. I like that we tried something different and it means that we get two goes at the openers.

One of the comments from the journos stood out to me - you do what the opposition least want you to do. This struck me as just that, the Ozzies had been in the field all day and there was a decent chance of getting one of the openers cheaply
Not convinced the Aussies were devastated by the decision. If I was in their shoes what I'd have been dreading is Root being 130ish not out overnight with Robinson hanging around, ready to have a free hit this morning then a run at them before lunch.

Second guessing Bazball has been a loser's pastime so far, but it shouldn't morph into a meme of itself nor is it an excuse for poor decision making.
tabascoboy

Two schools of thought: "let's just see this out to close of play and start afresh tomorrow", "let's wrap this up even if it means a couple of awkward overs tonight" I somehow doubt that Aussies would think the former - but who knows...