Pro cycling thread

Where goats go to escape
laurent

Very sad news on tour de Suisse.

This brings home a bit of Personal pain.
Jim Lahey

yermum wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:27 pm I have been a club cyclist and road racer/time trial trihard for 25 years.

The roads are really dicey these days. Full of potholes and impatient dangerous drivers in massive cars that they can’t gauge how wide they are.

I have taken up gravel riding to minimise my road exposure as I feel very unsafe these days.

Anywhere else in Europe is fine it’s the angry UK drivers that scare me
This.
I did the Mallorca 312 earlier this year and spent 3 or 4 days beforehand cruising about the northern part of the island. Even on twisty mountain roads it was noticiable how much more patient local drivers were waiting for a safe spot to pass, compared to the wanker White Van Men/Audi drivers who take personal offence to being slowed down momentarily on British rpads.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
duke

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:59 pm
yermum wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:27 pm I have been a club cyclist and road racer/time trial trihard for 25 years.

The roads are really dicey these days. Full of potholes and impatient dangerous drivers in massive cars that they can’t gauge how wide they are.

I have taken up gravel riding to minimise my road exposure as I feel very unsafe these days.

This.
I did the Mallorca 312 earlier this year and spent 3 or 4 days beforehand cruising about the northern part of the island. Even on twisty mountain roads it was noticiable how much more patient local drivers were waiting for a safe spot to pass, compared to the wanker White Van Men/Audi drivers who take personal offence to being slowed down momentarily on British rpads.
I was in Mallorca in mid April and was pleasantly surprised by how cooperative the drivers were, very few close passes and plenty of giving way where the driver didn't have to
shaggy

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:59 pm

This.
Road CC has plenty of articles on the same poor behaviours in Ireland and there have been many stories of pro riders being hit in other countries too. I know you all want the UK to be the absolute worst but let’s use some evidence here.
Jim Lahey

I live in NI, so I cycle the King's roads tbf.
Haven't done much cycling down in the wicked South so can't comment. But I do head over to the Lake District once or twice a year. And I got smacked off my bike earlier this year in the Wirral.

Italy, Spain and France are lightyears ahead of the UK in terms of tolerance of cyclists. Plus they have nice smooth roads. I only go out cycling at first light in the morning so I can be home before the traffic starts around 7.30am into Belfast.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Jim Lahey

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling/tad ... -runner-up

5min margin over 15km ffs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Either Pog has been seeing some Spanish "doctors" during his rehab or the lads he was competing against knew they had no chance anyway and went out on a bender the night before.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Blackmac

I haven't cycled since the day I retired from the police 5 years ago. I used to commute into Edinburgh every day and do a 60 to 100 mile ride at the weekend. Initially it was because I found the gardening to be physically exhausting as gym fit is completely different to workie fit, but really the roads are just so bad and the driving behaviour so poor that I just have no interest.
Jim Lahey

Blackmac wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:47 am I haven't cycled since the day I retired from the police 5 years ago. I used to commute into Edinburgh every day and do a 60 to 100 mile ride at the weekend. Initially it was because I found the gardening to be physically exhausting as gym fit is completely different to workie fit, but really the roads are just so bad and the driving behaviour so poor that I just have no interest.
I'm on the boat to Cairnryan later and cycling up to Ayr. What's the road like? Probably going to stick to the coast road (there doesn't seem to be any alternative) then scoot inland when I get to Ballintrae.

Slightly concerned about the HGV traffic coming from the port so I might grab a coffee and wait for both Stenaline and P&O boats to empty before setting off.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Blackmac

Jim Lahey wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:51 am
Blackmac wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:47 am I haven't cycled since the day I retired from the police 5 years ago. I used to commute into Edinburgh every day and do a 60 to 100 mile ride at the weekend. Initially it was because I found the gardening to be physically exhausting as gym fit is completely different to workie fit, but really the roads are just so bad and the driving behaviour so poor that I just have no interest.
I'm on the boat to Cairnryan later and cycling up to Ayr. What's the road like? Probably going to stick to the coast road (there doesn't seem to be any alternative) then scoot inland when I get to Ballintrae.

Slightly concerned about the HGV traffic coming from the port so I might grab a coffee and wait for both Stenaline and P&O boats to empty before setting off.
Don't really know the cycling routes in that part of the country I'm afraid but yeah, there will be a lot of HGV's and generally they are pricks. I was overtaken by one in the borders a few years ago and he pulled in too soon. I realised that the rear of the trailer was going to hit me and bailed off the road, 15 feet down a bank, luckily into a deep part of the Tweed.
Jim Lahey

Dicey enough journey to Ballintrae, absolutely gassed it as I was the first person off the boat and wanted to avoid the HGVs :lol:

Ayrshire is stunning for cycling. Once I went inland, I saw about 5 cars in 1.5 hours, and some epic scenery (and a lovely tail wind) to boot :thumbup:
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Jim Lahey

Epic fightback today from Pog, although he looked absolutely fucked at the end :lol: . Would be concerned about his wrist though, he didn't look comfortable on the descent of the Tourmalet.

The tour definitely needed that shot of life instead of a TJV procession to Paris.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Slick

I used to commute 16 miles a day across central London and absolutely loved it. Cycled twice in Edinburgh and gave up due to the awful roads
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Insane_Homer

Cav goes down in a very innocuous fall, right shoulder

In the ambulance, abandoned. :sad:
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
clydecloggie

Slick wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:04 pm
I used to commute 16 miles a day across central London and absolutely loved it. Cycled twice in Edinburgh and gave up due to the awful roads
Edinburgh's roads are beyond shameful. Far worse than Glasgow's even, which should be reason enough for the good posho burghers to hang their heads in shame and rectify it ASAP.
S/Lt_Phillips

Insane_Homer wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:45 pm Cav goes down in a very innocuous fall, right shoulder

Oh that's shit news
Left hand down a bit
Dinsdale Piranha

S/Lt_Phillips wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:29 pm
Insane_Homer wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:45 pm Cav goes down in a very innocuous fall, right shoulder

Oh that's shit news
Just when he was looking there or thereabouts form wise yesterday.
Biffer

Absolutely gutted for Cav.

Even if he didn't break the record he would have been allowed a period leading the peloton on the final stage to mark his achievements.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Slick

Ahh fuck, I wondered why I couldn’t see him at the end - Portuguese commentary
SaintK

Biffer wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:51 pm Absolutely gutted for Cav.

Even if he didn't break the record he would have been allowed a period leading the peloton on the final stage to mark his achievements.
I wonder if this will sway him to change his mind?
Astana Qazaqstan have offered Mark Cavendish a contract extension to ride on the Tour de France next year despite the Briton’s planned retirement at the end of this season, the team’s general manager Alexander Vinokourov said.
Jim Lahey

Evenepoel apparently signed for Ineos.
Game changer for them, given they lack a GC man since Bernal's crash.
Next year's tour could be epic with a three-way battle for the yellow. Hopefully Hindley can keep improving and turn it into 4, but I think the gap between him and the top 3 is probably too big, given the relative strength of their teams.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Biffer

Anyone doing the UCI World Champs in Glasgow in August?

Track, Road, MTB, BMX all in the same city in the same week
S/Lt_Phillips

Biffer wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:21 pm Anyone doing the UCI World Champs in Glasgow in August?

The men's elite road race goes practically past my fiance's front door, so either we'll watch them whizz by on their way to the wild west, or alternatively head for the city centre circuit.

Haven't got myself organised to get tickets for the velodrome, though I'd love to go (incidentally had an intro session at the velodrome a couple of years ago, it was absolutely terrifying).
Left hand down a bit
Slick

Mental stage today, even had my mum, wife and sister on the edge of their seats and they’ve never watched a cycle race in their lives
Jim Lahey

Slick wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:47 pm Mental stage today, even had my mum, wife and sister on the edge of their seats and they’ve never watched a cycle race in their lives
Near shat my pants repeatidly watching Rodriguez's descent :eek: :eek:

Some balls on him :clap:
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Dinsdale Piranha

Biffer wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:21 pm Anyone doing the UCI World Champs in Glasgow in August?

I'm considering doing one of the weekends. See how it goes
Slick

Will go for the road race through Edinburgh. Waiting to hear if my wife’s cousin will be at the MTB, either competing or commentating.

Would love to get to the track but also missed the tickets so will see what happens
Jim Lahey

Wow.
Just wow.

How do you never win a TT before in a grand tour then go out on smash the competition like that? Spanish doctors?
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Biffer

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:35 pm Wow.
Just wow.

How do you never win a TT before in a grand tour then go out on smash the competition like that? Spanish doctors?
That's an astonishing ride.
Jim Lahey

Biffer wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:35 pm
Just wow.

That's an astonishing ride.
I always had a dislike for Vinny as he seems so robotic and cold, whereas Pog looks like he's having a blast of a time. But fair fucks to Vinny. Assuming he's clean that was outrageous stuff, and well worthy of a 2nd TdF title.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Jim Lahey

EnergiseR2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:23 pm
Just wow.

Did he not let van Aert win last year's?
Fair point.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Guy Smiley

Just wow.

Pure technique and not stopping for the bike change...

watching the bits of this year's race that I can squeeze in, Pog seems to be much more of a 'punchy' climber able to deliver withering accelerations. Vin is more steady... he can climb but he's more of a tempo style. Stronger in the TT... more suited for it.
Insane_Homer

EnergiseR2 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:23 pm
Just wow.

Did he not let van Aert win last year's?
Ignoring Pog for a second, who himself managed to take ~1:10 out van Aert's ride ...

Vinegaard took ~3 mins out van Aert, who didn't have to worry about a big GC day tomorrow, on relatively short 18km TT.

It smells just a bit off
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Jim Lahey

Its unfortunate that whenever someone puts in an incredible performance in cycling, everyone gets suspicious. But hey-ho, it does have form for it.

Maybe everyone just underrated Vinny? I know I did. I always felt that Pog was the better, more exicitng rider. And Vinny was good but had a superstar team backing him up, so he didn't need to be as good as Pog. Just get Wout and Kuss to blow up the peloton and he could try and deal with Pog by himself.

But fuck me. Kudos to that man today. Unreal stuff :clap:
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
Jim Lahey

Also seen an article this evening claiming that Vinny's VO2 max score aged 17 was 97 :eek: :eek:

I consider myself a reasonably fit amateur cyclist, probably riding for 5 hours a week at a reasonable intensity on Zwift/IRL, with an FTP of 320w, yet my VO2 max is 53 :lol: :lol:

Far out.
Ian Madigan for Ireland.
shaggy

Not saying anything.
Biffer

World Championships are underway in Glasgow.

Nasty fall for the British lad in the qualifying for the Team Pursuit, looks liked he knocked himself out cold. Walked off about five minutes later, might be considering himself lucky I think. Means the GB team didn't qualify for the knockout stage though.
Slick

Biffer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:41 pm World Championships are underway in Glasgow.

Nasty fall for the British lad in the qualifying for the Team Pursuit, looks liked he knocked himself out cold. Walked off about five minutes later, might be considering himself lucky I think. Means the GB team didn't qualify for the knockout stage though.
Excuse my ignorance, but with the road race, is this the one that if they win they get the striped jersey for the year?

Edit: Annoyingly, it goes literally straight past my old house
Dinsdale Piranha

Slick wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:15 pm
Biffer wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:41 pm World Championships are underway in Glasgow.

Excuse my ignorance, but with the road race, is this the one that if they win they get the striped jersey for the year?

Yes.
S/Lt_Phillips

Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:43 pm

Yes.
I think all the event winners get to wear the rainbow jersey for the year (so the time trial, all the track events etc, not just the road race winner). Not sure about the team event winners.

Chris Hoy mentions in his autobiography about riding the Etape du Tour one year, and he decided to wear his rainbow jersey (from the track sprint/Keirin). As he's not that fast on the hills (all relative of course), he says he felt a bit of a fraud!
Left hand down a bit
Biffer

S/Lt_Phillips wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:13 pm
Dinsdale Piranha wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:43 pm

Yes.
I think all the event winners get to wear the rainbow jersey for the year (so the time trial, all the track events etc, not just the road race winner). Not sure about the team event winners.

Chris Hoy mentions in his autobiography about riding the Etape du Tour one year, and he decided to wear his rainbow jersey (from the track sprint/Keirin). As he's not that fast on the hills (all relative of course), he says he felt a bit of a fraud!
That’s right, the rainbow stripe is the world champions jersey, and that’s for all track and road events. So the time trial winner gets to wear it too for example.