RWC QF2: Ireland vs New Zealand

Where goats go to escape
JM2K6

Hugo wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:56 pm
Insane_Homer wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:21 pm Last pass was a bit iffy
Yes I thought the same. Almost certain that was forward.

BB chip and regather though, did wonderfully well to hold onto the ball getting nailed by Lowe.

Fantastic game of rugby that.
Was fine from the last angle they showed
bogbunny

dpedin wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:59 pm
bogbunny wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:47 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:41 pm

You worked in the Diggers?

I had a girlfriend who lived on Angle Park Terrace.

She broke my heart but I still liked a pint of heavy in the Diggers, best beer in Edinburgh at the time
Aye, back in the day when Bill Farmer was the bar manager (1981???).

... we have 12 McLashan font pumps to serve 80 shillings (heavy) , 1 for mild, 1 for lager... (thats for women, poofs and English)
I lived around the corner in Harrisons Gardens when I was a student! First time I went in the Diggers in 1981 I asked for a pint of heavy and a half of lager for the girlfriend, the barman looked me straight in the eye and said 'Fuck off!' Slightly shocked, I then asked for a pint and half of heavy and he said 'thats better son' and then served me. He was a baldy headed, skinny older guy with glasses, dressed like all the barmen in his maroon jacket - I think he died of consumption?

We were in the back room of the Diggers one evening not long after, having had a few beers, playing dominos and my mate accidentally set his long hair on fire with his cigarette lighter. I threw a pint of beer over his head to put the flames out and was promptly chucked out of the pub for getting beer on the doms table. Ah those were the days!
LOL LOL that was Dave, and that was exactly what the miserable aul cunt would have said. Only worked there for the summer hols (was at Hairy Twat Uni) .. were you at the second uni in Edinburgh???

Also all the aul wans playing doms would order a hauf and hauf......... half pint o heavy and a dark rum and pep!!
Last edited by bogbunny on Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certain Navigator

JM2K6 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:40 pm
Ymx wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:28 pm
ScarfaceClaw wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:27 pm Sexton looking like a miserable morrisey tribute act. Great player, phenomenal player for Ireland but a complete prick at times which stains his legacy for me.
What did he do, specifically?? Someone above also mentioned it.

I missed it. I did say fvck off Johnny at some point but I don’t remember why.
Aside from his usual prickishness during the game, he was giving Reiko Ioane an extended spray after the final whistle.
The one thing that's certain is that Ioane will have asked for it.
Slick

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:41 pm

You worked in the Diggers?

I had a girlfriend who lived on Angle Park Terrace.

She broke my heart but I still liked a pint of heavy in the Diggers, best beer in Edinburgh at the time

... we have 12 McLashan font pumps to serve 80 shillings (heavy) , 1 for mild, 1 for lager... (thats for women, poofs and English)
I lived around the corner in Harrisons Gardens when I was a student! First time I went in the Diggers in 1981 I asked for a pint of heavy and a half of lager for the girlfriend, the barman looked me straight in the eye and said 'Fuck off!' Slightly shocked, I then asked for a pint and half of heavy and he said 'thats better son' and then served me. He was a baldy headed, skinny older guy with glasses, dressed like all the barmen in his maroon jacket - I think he died of consumption?

We were in the back room of the Diggers one evening not long after, having had a few beers, playing dominos and my mate accidentally set his long hair on fire with his cigarette lighter. I threw a pint of beer over his head to put the flames out and was promptly chucked out of the pub for getting beer on the doms table. Ah those were the days!
😂
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Slick

Biffer wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:56 pm So who's done with international rugby for Ireland now? O'Mahony, Sexton, Murray, Earls, Aki, Kilcoyne? Lowe, Henshaw, McCloskey, Gibson-Park, Henderson, Bealham, Furlong, Beirne all the wrong side of thirty as well.
Was thinking about this earlier today, who do they actually have coming through at 9, 10, 13, and 14. What happens if Keenan goes down?
JM2K6

Certain Navigator wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:11 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:40 pm
Ymx wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:28 pm

What did he do, specifically?? Someone above also mentioned it.

I missed it. I did say fvck off Johnny at some point but I don’t remember why.
Aside from his usual prickishness during the game, he was giving Reiko Ioane an extended spray after the final whistle.
The one thing that's certain is that Ioane will have asked for it.
No one is mouthier on the field than Sexton.
Kiwias

Insane_Homer wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:23 pm
S/Lt_Phillips wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:57 pm Fitting that Sexton's final act as an international is to act like a petulant child. Shame.
That simple 3 point miss is going to haunt him.
Visions of the 2013 match flashed across my mind.
Gumboot

I thought Rieko had a fine game. Just confirmed he and Jordie are our best midfield, imo.
Sandstorm

Jordie had a super game. Under-rated player IMO.
bogbunny

Sandstorm wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:28 pm Jordie had a super game. Under-rated player IMO.
Match winner TBF
Gumboot

bogbunny wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:29 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:28 pm Jordie had a super game. Under-rated player IMO.
Match winner TBF
Scott also had a great game.
Jethro

Ymx wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:58 pm I can’t stop shaking after that epic match.

My guts in absolute knots.
Slightly confident about the Semi now.

Have a feeling Ireland blew this match with some weird decision making.
JM2K6

He's a superb 12 and wasted everywhere else. NZ are a much worse team when he doesn't play 12.
_Os_

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:05 pm Said as soon as Murray came on, it would be Youngs-esque pace.
Saying anyone is "Youngs-esque" shouldn't be allowed. He is in a category of his own.
tc27

Again what a fucking game.

Well done to both sides for that.
Enzedder

FB_IMG_1697343482339.jpg
FB_IMG_1697343482339.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Attachments
FB_IMG_1697343482339.jpg
FB_IMG_1697343482339.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
I drink and I forget things.
OomStruisbaai

Jethro wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:32 pm
Ymx wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:58 pm I can’t stop shaking after that epic match.

My guts in absolute knots.
Slightly confident about the Semi now.

Have a feeling Ireland blew this match with some weird decision making.
You are in the final.
_Os_

Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:22 am Image
<Insert a video of O'Mahony's "you're a shit Richie McCaw" sledge from last year>

That motivated him.
OomStruisbaai

Sexton and Porter was really awful yesterday. It don't take much in losing in dignity.
Torquemada 1420

David in Gwent wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:14 pm
Torquemada 1420 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:13 pm
David in Gwent wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:12 pm privileged middle class gonna privileged middle class.
You take that back :mad:
Dude, you buy world war fucking two airplanes to fuck about with, you couldn't be any more privileged, despite hating Britain!
Post war. And doesn't make any of the statement correct. And I absolutely don't hate Britain. Just some of its citizens: ironically mostly the ones contained in your accusation.

And need I remind you (since you ducked it the last time), that the ruling classes of Eng absolutely hate you and your ilk and hold you in nothing but utter contempt.
Muttonbird

The Jordan try was a thing of beauty. Mo'unga completely bamboozled Sheehan and the lad with the red headgear, then painted a target on Lowe, running directly at him hard and straight. Bonus points that Keenan runs like a donkey. Really surprised Ireland have got the record they do with such a player at 15.
Paddington Bear

Can I shock you? I love the draw
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Biffer

_Os_ wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:06 am
Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:22 am Image
<Insert a video of O'Mahony's "you're a shit Richie McCaw" sledge from last year>

That motivated him.
O'Mahony was completely anonymous last night. Didn't get involved.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Biffer

Can't believe how many Irish folk on twitter are saying Barnes was bias against them. Despite the two yellow cards and the penalty try 😂😂
OomStruisbaai

Muttonbird wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:03 am The Jordan try was a thing of beauty. Mo'unga completely bamboozled Sheehan and the lad with the red headgear, then painted a target on Lowe, running directly at him hard and straight. Bonus points that Keenan runs like a donkey. Really surprised Ireland have got the record they do with such a player at 15.
Ummm Mutton, Hugo Keenan is a pretty special player, make no mistake.
Uncle fester

Biffer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:32 am Can't believe how many Irish folk on twitter are saying Barnes was bias against them. Despite the two yellow cards and the penalty try 😂😂
If you're checking on xitter, you're working hard to find material.
Paddington Bear

It’s important to remember that in amongst this there are human beings, not least a fly half who has given so much to the sport and we will not see again. So let me be the first to say, thank you Dan Biggar, enjoy retirement
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Sandstorm

Muttonbird wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:03 am The Jordan try was a thing of beauty. Mo'unga completely bamboozled Sheehan and the lad with the red headgear, then painted a target on Lowe, running directly at him hard and straight. Bonus points that Keenan runs like a donkey. Really surprised Ireland have got the record they do with such a player at 15.
I said during the Scotland /Ireland game there was acres of space behind the Irish line and Russell should be kicking in there. Seems Fozzie and R-Mo noticed and took advantage last night.
PCPhil

Keenan is a great player. Are you still pissed?
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
boere wors

Biffer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:32 am Can't believe how many Irish folk on twitter are saying Barnes was bias against them. Despite the two yellow cards and the penalty try 😂😂
Wtf. He had a really good game. Absolutely no complaints.
Slick

It was fascinating last night to see what pressure does to a team. Ireland were serene in the first half under incredible pressure but in the 2nd as it started to dawn on them that time was running out it was like a completely different team.
dpedin

bogbunny wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:08 pm

LOL LOL that was Dave, and that was exactly what the miserable aul cunt would have said. Only worked there for the summer hols (was at Hairy Twat Uni) .. were you at the second uni in Edinburgh???

Also all the aul wans playing doms would order a hauf and hauf......... half pint o heavy and a dark rum and pep!!
Was doing Post Grad qualification there! Dark rum would have been 100% proof OVD no doubt?
Ymx

Can’t you ???
Uncle fester

Slick wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:58 am It was fascinating last night to see what pressure does to a team. Ireland were serene in the first half under incredible pressure but in the 2nd as it started to dawn on them that time was running out it was like a completely different team.
Once they started doing hail Mary skip passes to the wings, I knew we were done.

That said if that had been Schmidt's team from 4 years ago, they'd still be there this morning using one out runners trying to mash over the line.
vball

dpedin wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:07 am
bogbunny wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:08 pm

Was doing Post Grad qualification there! Dark rum would have been 100% proof OVD no doubt?
We have a flat just over from the Diggers and it has been rented out for some time. Our daughter moves in at the end of the month so will need to stay over for a couple of weekends to do some decorating. i know it is not the pub it was in 1980s when I first tasted the best pint of heavy in the world, and some decent pints too, but it will do. I also remember if you needed a crap you had to get the key on a bloody big chain from the bar man and drag it to the cludgy. I also think there was a £100 bet you could not drink 10 pints and walk out the door without falling over. Great days
Romans said ....Illegitimi non carborundum --- Today we say .. WTF
inactionman

I think I need to try this pub
Slick

Uncle fester wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:31 am
Slick wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:58 am It was fascinating last night to see what pressure does to a team. Ireland were serene in the first half under incredible pressure but in the 2nd as it started to dawn on them that time was running out it was like a completely different team.
Once they started doing hail Mary skip passes to the wings, I knew we were done.

That said if that had been Schmidt's team from 4 years ago, they'd still be there this morning using one out runners trying to mash over the line.
Yes, that wasn’t a criticism, just an observation.

It’s funny how perception changes as well. Seeing that team under the hammer, suddenly the subs coming on looked a bit weak
Insane_Homer

Any comments on Porter continuing to scrum at 45 degrees even after the ref had explained clearly at length on at least 2 separate prior occasions?

Or Porter's 'its out' turnover (50 min) was complete bollox. Ireland 3 on the floor first impeding, ball was still under Barrats foot and he picks the ball up in the ruck. That should have been a shot a goal for the ABs. Instead Ireland ran it back into the AB half.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
JM2K6

Yeah, that turnover was ridiculous, but it didn't stop Porter giving the ref a spray anyway. Deeply unlikable team.
Biffer

Nice that Sexton will do a wee tour

https://x.com/scotrugbypod/status/17134 ... nnPXVLAY7w