RWC QF3 - England ‘the moveable force’ vs Fiji ‘the stoppable object’

Where goats go to escape
Biffer

PCPhil wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:49 pm Something wrong with Farrel.
Most of us have known that for over a decade
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Hal Jordan

Should have buried them in the middle quarter of the match, but a win is a win.
JM2K6

Uh Reynal I think you need to understand what "the ruck was formed" means.

Ridiculous
Biffer

JM2K6 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:52 pm Uh Reynal I think you need to understand what "the ruck was formed" means.

Ridiculous
Yeah, that looked completely wrong
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Torquemada 1420

One man out rugby on an eggtimer got the inevitable.

Needed to get some pace on it and get it wide. Fiji been brain dead since half time against Aus.
Big D

England deserved the win. Fiji lacking the experience to see out tight games. They really need to be in the Rugby Championship.
tc27

Never in doubt.

Its coming home.
sockwithaticket

That's an absolute nonsense penalty, but what else do you expect from these laissez faire French refs?
Last edited by sockwithaticket on Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
petej

Biffer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:51 pm
PCPhil wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:49 pm Something wrong with Farrel.
Most of us have known that for over a decade
England back the wrong young flyhalf 10 years ago because he was bigger and we only cared about kicking and tackling (frequently illegally and dangerous).
Ymx

That’s been 3 bloody close games so far
BnM

Come on we had the easiest draw and road to Semi's.
laurent

JM2K6 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:42 pm The fuck is Reynal penalising there?
Second man spoiling the ruck . He let England slow the ball all game long. Fiji unfortunately too passive here.

Pity for Fiji.
Torquemada 1420

Biffer wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:52 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:52 pm Uh Reynal I think you need to understand what "the ruck was formed" means.

Ridiculous
Yeah, that looked completely wrong
But he's done that all game so Fiji not adapting not exactly smart.
Torquemada 1420

laurent wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:54 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:42 pm The fuck is Reynal penalising there?
Second man spoiling the ruck . He let England slow the ball all game long. Fiji unfortunately too passive here.

Pity for Fiji.
100% this. See above.

Whoever wins tonight will bury this Eng team.
Insane_Homer

That scrum on 80 mins, Tuilagi is easily 2 meters offside. AR standing inline doesn't call it.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
JM2K6

There's going to be some fun screenshots of a couple of Farrell tackles showing up soon, albeit misleading. The man cannot help standing up in tackles.

Well done England, won it with that first half of set piece superiority and some decent defence. Absolutely no question that we got the rub of the green multiple times thanks to Reynal. Most of the big selection calls haven't worked and we look barely functional at times, but hey, another semi final.

Hard lines Fiji. Some really dumb shit and a lot of foot-shooting, but some class in there too and they can rightly feel aggrieved at the refereeing, which has been a huge negative for me in this tournament.
PCPhil

Ymx wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:53 pm That’s been 3 bloody close games so far
Yep. all gripping and could have gone either way.

Unfortunately, some just want to be miserable, moan at the ref and generally just eat lemons throughout the matches. Oh well.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
el capitan

That was technically right, the Fiji prop flopped straight on the floor. But he just let Lawes do whatever he wanted before finally thinking up a decision :lol:

As for the match overall, crawled over the line eventually. Fiji were crap apart from a 5-10 min spell, then when they got level reverted to shit again with loose play, discipline, and hail mary stuff. England should have buried them in the third quarter, and it was fucking woeful that they didn't. Defence/linespeed was the best part of it and if we can keep that up we might be competitive in the next round(s), but with the ball don't think we've shown anything to worry any of the remaining teams.
ScarfaceClaw

Clive Woodward. “We won’t be intimidated by either France or Sefrica after that performance.”
Torquemada 1420

sockwithaticket wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:53 pm That's an absolute nonsense penalty, but what else do you expect from these laissez faire French refs?
Fre reffing is dire. A mix of blind incompetence with the only other consistency being decisions favouring the home team or big team.
Oxbow

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:57 pm Clive Woodward. “We won’t be intimidated by either France or Sefrica after that performance.”
That's the point I muted it.
Blackmac

JM2K6 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:56 pm There's going to be some fun screenshots of a couple of Farrell tackles showing up soon, albeit misleading. The man cannot help standing up in tackles.

Well done England, won it with that first half of set piece superiority and some decent defence. Absolutely no question that we got the rub of the green multiple times thanks to Reynal. Most of the big selection calls haven't worked and we look barely functional at times, but hey, another semi final.

Hard lines Fiji. Some really dumb shit and a lot of foot-shooting, but some class in there too and they can rightly feel aggrieved at the refereeing, which has been a huge negative for me in this tournament.
There was three in a row where he got absolutely bulldozed because he just stands in the way with no attempt to get into a correct position. I'm surprised that he himself hasn't been badly hurt.
Lady P

Mortifying. I’m barely even taking joy in how annoyed the other Home Nations fans must be.
ASMO

Ben Earl was outstanding, along with Lawes, too good for this team
OomStruisbaai

Congrats to England, again they did it.
Hal Jordan

Blackmac wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:59 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:56 pm There's going to be some fun screenshots of a couple of Farrell tackles showing up soon, albeit misleading. The man cannot help standing up in tackles.

There was three in a row where he got absolutely bulldozed because he just stands in the way with no attempt to get into a correct position. I'm surprised that he himself hasn't been badly hurt.
If only he could still drive his shoulder into an opponent's jaw, no arms style.
el capitan

All banter from now on though, can this dogwank rugby team go any further?

Starting point, will we be the last NH team left after tonight? :lol:
Hal Jordan

ASMO wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:01 pm Ben Earl was outstanding, along with Lawes, too good for this team
If we had a decent 8, they should be 6 and 7. Earl's lack of bulk at 8 still worries me that he's going to get flattened at an important moment.
OomStruisbaai

Farrell has been very good tonight.
Big D

Can only beat what is.in front of you. England have done that.
petej

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:08 pm Farrell has been very good tonight.
He managed not to get binned and kicked his kicks within the time limit.
sefton

I never thought I’d ever be disappointed to see England make a RWC SF but here we are.

Fiji must be disappointed with the officiating again, nothing as blatant as the Wales game but they didn’t get any favours until it didn’t matter.
petej

sefton wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:13 pm I never thought I’d ever be disappointed to see England make a RWC SF but here we are.

Fiji must be disappointed with the officiating again, nothing as blatant as the Wales game but they didn’t get any favours until it didn’t matter.
It would be hilarious if both England and Argentina made the final.
David in Gwent

sefton wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:13 pm I never thought I’d ever be disappointed to see England make a RWC SF but here we are.

:lol:
Slick

Well done England, as said above, you can only beat what’s in front of you and they have done that. They should get smashed in the next game but you just don’t know.

Fiji disappointing really, but I guess in the cold light of day it’s still pretty phenomenal they have down what they have with limited time together, no budget, etc.

Have to say I’m beginning to really like Ben Earl as a player, just what England forwards used to be, no nonsense, uncompromising and tough. Wish he’d cut out the shouting business, but whatever gets you going I guess.

As a general observation, please WR, stomp down on people speaking/screaming at the ref, just fucking stop it.

Marcus Smith still has the most annoying face in rugby
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
laurent

Slick wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:34 pm Well done England, as said above, you can only beat what’s in front of you and they have done that. They should get smashed in the next game but you just don’t know.

Fiji disappointing really, but I guess in the cold light of day it’s still pretty phenomenal they have down what they have with limited time together, no budget, etc.

Have to say I’m beginning to really like Ben Earl as a player, just what England forwards used to be, no nonsense, uncompromising and tough. Wish he’d cut out the shouting business, but whatever gets you going I guess.

As a general observation, please WR, stomp down on people speaking/screaming at the ref, just fucking stop it.

He'll need a surgeon after this game :lol:
Sandstorm

laurent wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:35 pm
Slick wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:34 pm Well done England, as said above, you can only beat what’s in front of you and they have done that. They should get smashed in the next game but you just don’t know.

He'll need a surgeon after this game :lol:
If a broken spine doesn’t end his career, then a brain injury will.

Seriously he must have trauma after two head-shots in 20 minutes. :cry:
Plim

Exciting game but not high quality, unlike Ire v NZ. Hoping the Fra v SA game provides fireworks.

Anyway, pleased to check in here and see that one-eyed miserableness, moaning about referees and general spite still rule. 👍
Uncle fester

Didn't make a difference in the end but that should have been yellow for Farrell. Would have given us some cheer.
Ymx

I can’t help but feel the hatred for Farrell by other countries has now been eclipsed by England supporters