The Official English Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
Raggs

Slick wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:39 pm
Raggs wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:26 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:56 pm The rumour on the Quins board is that this stems from Lynagh not putting the work in during his injury layoff, coming back way out of shape, then expecting to be automatic first choice. Things deteriorated from there.

Pinch of salt and all that but it must have been a pretty serious breakdown between player and club for him to not get offered a contract. Feels like a mistake.
Not getting offered a contract at all, for a clearly talented player, certainly suggests behind the scenes issues.
Doesn’t he qualify for Italy?
Yes, what difference does that make to quins not offering him a contract?
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Slick

Raggs wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:40 pm

Not getting offered a contract at all, for a clearly talented player, certainly suggests behind the scenes issues.
Yes, what difference does that make to quins not offering him a contract?
Easy tiger. None, just a question given he’s signed for an Italian team
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
JM2K6

Yes, that is why there are multiple posts talking about him going for an Italy cap instead of England...
Paddington Bear

Rewatched the game. It’s hardly a classic but as ever I think the ‘unwatchable’ stuff is massively overdone because it’s England.

I thought we did pretty well. Going down to 13 was always going to be a punch in the face and throw a lot of plans out the window. Wales England is always a funny match, and with their tails up any Welsh side becomes very difficult to compete with. The way we managed it deserves some praise.

We’ve been 9 points down two weeks running now, the positive is how well we’re coming back into games which even during the good Eddie years was something we were shit at. George & Ford seem to have pretty level heads as leaders.

Steward was excellent. His flaws are well known but I think he’s indispensable for a side like ours. When we get him a sprint coach can we get him a fucking set of studs as well.

The defensive system looks pretty good. Wales only really cut it open twice - on the try the gap came from Stewart being the man on the inside of the blitz. Last week Italy exploited Marler in the same role. This suggests in general it works pretty well. Let’s see how it goes against Scotland - you’d think Finn could cause it more issues but he struggled a lot against SA’s.

Earl is the closest thing we have to a world class player. Phenomenal again, him and Maro really stepped up when we went down to 13. For me we won the game with that try, it would have been easy to fall apart.

We’re trying something in attack but it looks like we lack confidence. Doesn’t help that Dingwall probably isn’t quite good enough and is holding a shirt for Lawrence. Mitchell/Ford is a 9/10 combo that seems to work. Ford is the perfect ‘system’ 10 for Borthwick and was good again.

I’d like to see CCS start, maybe Underhill dropping out. We need a bit more go forward. Theo Dan can provide some as well from the bench and needs a few more minutes. Dingwall heads to the bench. I like Daly starting and will not be elaborating on this further.

Overall, I’d say we did enough. We were clearly the better side, even accounting for going down to 13 and Wales playing a game we hadn’t prepared for. The side seems much more cohesive and put together, and our composure is decent. I think we have enough to win at Murrayfield, and France have offered nothing in their first two games to fear.

Oh - the ref was just awful to both sides. The penalty try remains bollocks for me, it came down from it’s own momentum with England having the ball sewn up. The conversion fiasco has been covered. WR have an obligation to provide refs who can rise to the occasion, how can NZ produce so many great players and not a single passable ref? A ref struggling with the intensity of France Ireland last year is understandable, yesterday we had two refs who couldn’t cope with two bog standard internationals.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
SaintK

Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:50 pm Rewatched the game. It’s hardly a classic but as ever I think the ‘unwatchable’ stuff is massively overdone because it’s England.

I thought we did pretty well. Going down to 13 was always going to be a punch in the face and throw a lot of plans out the window. Wales England is always a funny match, and with their tails up any Welsh side becomes very difficult to compete with. The way we managed it deserves some praise.

We’ve been 9 points down two weeks running now, the positive is how well we’re coming back into games which even during the good Eddie years was something we were shit at. George & Ford seem to have pretty level heads as leaders.

Steward was excellent. His flaws are well known but I think he’s indispensable for a side like ours. When we get him a sprint coach can we get him a fucking set of studs as well.

The defensive system looks pretty good. Wales only really cut it open twice - on the try the gap came from Stewart being the man on the inside of the blitz. Last week Italy exploited Marler in the same role. This suggests in general it works pretty well. Let’s see how it goes against Scotland - you’d think Finn could cause it more issues but he struggled a lot against SA’s.

Earl is the closest thing we have to a world class player. Phenomenal again, him and Maro really stepped up when we went down to 13. For me we won the game with that try, it would have been easy to fall apart.

We’re trying something in attack but it looks like we lack confidence. Doesn’t help that Dingwall probably isn’t quite good enough and is holding a shirt for Lawrence. Mitchell/Ford is a 9/10 combo that seems to work. Ford is the perfect ‘system’ 10 for Borthwick and was good again.

I’d like to see CCS start, maybe Underhill dropping out. We need a bit more go forward. Theo Dan can provide some as well from the bench and needs a few more minutes. Dingwall heads to the bench. I like Daly starting and will not be elaborating on this further.

Overall, I’d say we did enough. We were clearly the better side, even accounting for going down to 13 and Wales playing a game we hadn’t prepared for. The side seems much more cohesive and put together, and our composure is decent. I think we have enough to win at Murrayfield, and France have offered nothing in their first two games to fear.

Oh - the ref was just awful to both sides. The penalty try remains bollocks for me, it came down from it’s own momentum with England having the ball sewn up. The conversion fiasco has been covered. WR have an obligation to provide refs who can rise to the occasion, how can NZ produce so many great players and not a single passable ref? A ref struggling with the intensity of France Ireland last year is understandable, yesterday we had two refs who couldn’t cope with two bog standard internationals.
Thanks for that. Good summary. Think there are some definite positives and definite work ons. Very much work in progress and not the sum of its parts yet.
Raggs

It definitely wasn't as bad a watch as many tried to claim.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Paddington Bear

Raggs wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:02 pm It definitely wasn't as bad a watch as many tried to claim.
Yep, it was essentially a 6N match from central casting, if that’s unwatchable then take up another sport
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
dpedin

SaintK wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:20 pm
Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:50 pm Rewatched the game. It’s hardly a classic but as ever I think the ‘unwatchable’ stuff is massively overdone because it’s England.

Thanks for that. Good summary. Think there are some definite positives and definite work ons. Very much work in progress and not the sum of its parts yet.
England were pretty poor in first 40mins - conceding 2 tries, giving 2 poor yellow cards, kick charged down and kicking too much ball away when in possession and attacking and losing breakdown to Wales. They improved dramatically in the 2nd half. England's attacking play is just too lateral at times and in Ford, Slade and Dingwall there is no cutting edge or imagination to get beyond defences hence the kicking which rarely came off. They desperately miss Lawrence in their back line, he provides attacking lines and aggression and can get England behind the gain line. I imagine Englands attack will be far far better once he comes back into the team. Steward is a bit ponderous and slow to the tackle but worth his weight in gold under the high ball but he needs better support from his wingers, not sure what Daly offers the team on the wing? Englands pack will always keep them in the game but the backs continue to struggle and might get a going v Ireland and even France.
Ovals

So, Changes for the Scotland game.

Realistically I can't see Borthers dropping Daly despite the need for greater pace - but Bringing in Lawrence is a no brainer to give the backs a bit more bite. Genge could also be recalled to the starting line up to provide another carrier. That'd probably be it, with Martin adding some ooomph from the bench.

Would he be tempted to pick both Tuilagi and Lawrence (at 12 & 13) ?

Oh, and has Underhill done enough at 7 - I guess his tackling suits the style of defence we're trying - but we lack a jackaller. Could he start CCS and move Earl to 7.
Raggs

Lawrence, Tuilagi, Martin and LCD all apparently looking fit for Scotland. Martin to the bench over Coles for me. LCD over Dan (And he can come on earlier too).

Not sure about midfield though. I suspect we get Manu at 12, Slade 13, and Lawrence on the bench.
sockwithaticket

32 year old, just back from yet another injury Manu would be such a pointless, regressive selection. We'll almost certainly see it.

I have my reservations about Dingwall - Slade as a partnerhip, but Dingwall at least is a player for the future and Slade may actually be around for the next world cup. Meanwhile chopping and changing selections, casting aside new players after a cap or two, hasn't worked for us in general, perhaps Dingwall is one of those players who needs a run in the team and a few more caps to find his feet. We often see with the Celtic teams that they have to play some guys because they don't really have much choice and those players end up being pretty good after some perserverance.
JM2K6

I don't think Dingwall has the game for international rugby. He's not a great defender, he's not a great carrier, he has good hands but not "could play 10" levels of vision and ability, doesn't have much of a kicking game and he's not particularly quick.

The Irish at least pick players who will give it everything and be highly physical.

I just don't see it. And that was my view before his callup, but he's failed to meet even my low expectations for him.
Raggs

I don't see Dingwall holding the 12 shirt over the likes of Ojomoh, Hartley etc. Even before considering Lawrence playing 12, and the masses of 13s we have.
Ovals

sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:20 pm 32 year old, just back from yet another injury Manu would be such a pointless, regressive selection. We'll almost certainly see it.

I have my reservations about Dingwall - Slade as a partnerhip, but Dingwall at least is a player for the future and Slade may actually be around for the next world cup. Meanwhile chopping and changing selections, casting aside new players after a cap or two, hasn't worked for us in general, perhaps Dingwall is one of those players who needs a run in the team and a few more caps to find his feet. We often see with the Celtic teams that they have to play some guys because they don't really have much choice and those players end up being pretty good after some perserverance.
I just don't think a Ford/Dingwall/Slade midfield has the right balance - it's just too lightweight - none of them have much of a running game or offer any penetration. and the issue is compounded by a lack of carriers elsewhere in the side - it could be compensated, to some extent if we had more real carriers in the Forwards such as CCS, Genge and Martin.
Oxbow

You just know that if everybody was fit and available Borthwick would go JVP, Farrell, Manu, Slade. Probably with Daly and May on the wings. There's been talk of evolution but really most of the selections have been forced upon him.

Dingwall is a far better player than he's shown so far for England, he's proven that week in week out for Saints, but I don't think he's an international 12. He'd be better as an option at 13, where he benefits from a clever player like Hutchinson inside him putting him through gaps in the defence.
Paddington Bear

Lawrence I think clearly is coming in for Dingwall. For me, Underhill drops out for CCS. A back row of Roots, Earl, CCS gives us three serious and dynamic ball carriers, as well as one at 12. Otherwise much the same
sockwithaticket

Ovals wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:46 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:20 pm 32 year old, just back from yet another injury Manu would be such a pointless, regressive selection. We'll almost certainly see it.

I just don't think a Ford/Dingwall/Slade midfield has the right balance - it's just too lightweight - none of them have much of a running game or offer any penetration. and the issue is compounded by a lack of carriers elsewhere in the side - it could be compensated, to some extent if we had more real carriers in the Forwards such as CCS, Genge and Martin.
It doesn't, but Manu isn't the answer. If I was selecting I'd be going Dingwall - Lawrence or Dingwall - Freeman. I'd also be doing something with the back three because Daly isn't adding much of anything outside of his bootand doggedly chasing kicks. His pace look shot and that's manifested both in opposition players taking him on the outside and his inability to reciprocate. Ideally we'd go for an all pace back three, but Steward won't be dispensed with, so push him onto the wing (as has been done before, so Furbank can go to fullback and then stick Feyi-Waboso/Freeman on the other wing depending on who's playing 13.

Pearson would be another one to add to the pack to up the carrying, he can take Underhill's spot. CCS doesn't start yet for Quins, not sure about starting him internationally.
Ovals

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:00 pm Lawrence I think clearly is coming in for Dingwall. For me, Underhill drops out for CCS. A back row of Roots, Earl, CCS gives us three serious and dynamic ball carriers, as well as one at 12. Otherwise much the same
Yep, that's what I'd like to see. And Genge to start. Really add some carrying threat throughout the team. Bring Martin on from the bench.
Ovals

sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:06 pm

It doesn't, but Manu isn't the answer. If I was selecting I'd be going Dingwall - Lawrence or Dingwall - Freeman. I'd also be doing something with the back three because Daly isn't adding much of anything outside of his bootand doggedly chasing kicks. His pace look shot and that's manifested both in opposition players taking him on the outside and his inability to reciprocate. Ideally we'd go for an all pace back three, but Steward won't be dispensed with, so push him onto the wing (as has been done before, so Furbank can go to fullback and then stick Feyi-Waboso/Freeman on the other wing depending on who's playing 13.

Pearson would be another one to add to the pack to up the carrying, he can take Underhill's spot. CCS doesn't start yet for Quins, not sure about starting him internationally.
Yeah - I think we're all saying variations of the same thing. There's several combinations that should work better than what we've seen against Wales and Italy. I think we'll see some, but not all, of them for Scotland. Can't see him dispensing with Daly so I reckon the back three will stay the same.
sturginho

JM2K6 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:56 pm The rumour on the Quins board is that this stems from Lynagh not putting the work in during his injury layoff, coming back way out of shape, then expecting to be automatic first choice. Things deteriorated from there.

Pinch of salt and all that but it must have been a pretty serious breakdown between player and club for him to not get offered a contract. Feels like a mistake.
We've been trying to convince him for a few years now.
SaintK

Tom Wolstencroft ritiring with immediate effect. Only 29 and a sensible move but another one on the concussion list.
A statement read: “Saracens regret to announce that Tom Woolstencroft has retired from rugby with immediate effect. The hooker, who has been one of the great Saracens hookers across his six years at the club. has unfortunately been recovering from concussion for the majority of the 2023/24 campaign and has now been forced into retirement on medical grounds.
JM2K6

CCS tends to start brightly then fade pretty quickly, and that's at club level. I definitely don't think he should start ahead of a more experienced 8 like Dombrandt or whoever anyone's personal favourite is. Great bench impact at the moment.
Ovals

JM2K6 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:42 pm

CCS tends to start brightly then fade pretty quickly, and that's at club level. I definitely don't think he should start ahead of a more experienced 8 like Dombrandt or whoever anyone's personal favourite is. Great bench impact at the moment.
Maybe start Genge and when he's subbed off, bring CCS on with the replacement prop - to ensure there's always at least one good, heavy, carrier - possibly also give CCS a little bit more time to make a real impact. Bringing him and Martin on, in the 2nd half, could be handy.

Still not sure about Underhill - he seems to be there as a tacklebot, which he is effective at - but doesn't jackal, carry or link much - I think we can do better !! Probably best not to make too many changes though/.
JM2K6

Ovals wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:37 am
JM2K6 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:42 pm

Maybe start Genge and when he's subbed off, bring CCS on with the replacement prop - to ensure there's always at least one good, heavy, carrier - possibly also give CCS a little bit more time to make a real impact. Bringing him and Martin on, in the 2nd half, could be handy.

Still not sure about Underhill - he seems to be there as a tacklebot, which he is effective at - but doesn't jackal, carry or link much - I think we can do better !! Probably best not to make too many changes though/.
Yeah, I agree with this. Underhill's tackling is a real strength but I think Earl is a lesser player at 8 (albeit he's growing into the role) and the lack of impact at the breakdown is noticeable. Doesn't help that Roots doesn't appear to be any great shakes in that department either.
Margin__Walker

I'm not really seeing what some are (not necessarily here) with Roots.

He looks big and workmanlike as a 6, but I honestly don't see him as the sort of player that would worry the best teams in any way. Goes without saying, but he's a big step down from Lawes in that position for England.
JM2K6

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:19 pm I'm not really seeing what some are (not necessarily here) with Roots.

He looks big and workmanlike as a 6, but I honestly don't see him as the sort of player that would worry the best teams in any way. Goes without saying, but he's a big step down from Lawes in that position for England.
He did basically nothing for the first 25 minutes in his opening game, then made a decent carry and after that the commentators assumed that he had been doing it regularly (the classic "so-and-so has been good" the first time they mention his name). My theory is a lot of Earl's work was credited to Roots, because Earl was everywhere in the first half in particular.

He's a strong bloke and seems a decent heavy carrier but nothing else.
Margin__Walker

JM2K6 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:22 pm
Margin__Walker wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:19 pm I'm not really seeing what some are (not necessarily here) with Roots.

He did basically nothing for the first 25 minutes in his opening game, then made a decent carry and after that the commentators assumed that he had been doing it regularly (the classic "so-and-so has been good" the first time they mention his name). My theory is a lot of Earl's work was credited to Roots, because Earl was everywhere in the first half in particular.

Yeah, that first game was odd, and the situation was influenced by the lack decent individual performances, but I felt like I was being gaslit when he was being mentioned as having a great game.

He was fine and good on him, but in a way plenty of blindsides in the league could have been in that fixture
Ovals

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:27 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:22 pm

Yeah, that first game was odd, and the situation was influenced by the lack decent individual performances, but I felt like I was being gaslit when he was being mentioned as having a great game.

He was fine and good on him, but in a way plenty of blindsides in the league could have been in that fixture
So, it wasn't just me that was a bit underwhelmed ! - thought he was decent enough v Italy - but very average v Wales.
Raggs

Without ruck marks over a few games I'd not really want to comment. It can be easy to miss a huge amount of work (or a huge lack).
Hal Jordan

Squad update, Pearson and Blamire definitely out, Lawrence and Smith M join for injury rehab, Tuilagi in.

So it's time for the annual sighting of Manu before his coccyx explodes or some other freak occurrence. We really should have moved on by now.
Ovals

Anyway

Looks like Manu is back in line for the Scotland game.
Centre Manu Tuilagi has been included in England's initial 36-man squad preparing to face Scotland in the Six Nations at Murrayfield on 24 February.

Tuilagi, 32, has recovered from a groin injury and is joined by hooker Luke Cowan-Dickie and lock George Martin.

Fly-half Marcus Smith and centre Ollie Lawrence will also join the squad as they continue their rehabilitation.

However, hooker Jamie Blamire, flanker Tom Pearson and utility back Oscar Beard drop out.
Margin__Walker

Raggs wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:50 pm Without ruck marks over a few games I'd not really want to comment. It can be easy to miss a huge amount of work (or a huge lack).
There's some decent stuff here to dig through.

More from Opta than has previously been available to the public

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2024/02/six-n ... stats-hub/

Edit - His numbers are fairly decent (dominant carries, gainline success, ruck effectiveness etc). Albeit playing against the two weakest teams so far
JM2K6

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:00 pm
Raggs wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:50 pm Without ruck marks over a few games I'd not really want to comment. It can be easy to miss a huge amount of work (or a huge lack).
There's some decent stuff here to dig through.

More from Opta than has previously been available to the public

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2024/02/six-n ... stats-hub/

Edit - His numbers are fairly decent (dominant carries, gainline success, ruck effectiveness etc). Albeit playing against the two weakest teams so far
Good link, thank you.

I suppose I'd add that we're talking about the praise for Roots, and it's from people who definitely will not be paying attention to the details at the rucks. They've been talking up his carrying primarily, and his tackling.

His ruck stats look decent, he's certainly busy.
sockwithaticket

Pearson being dropped seems mental.
Margin__Walker

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:34 pm Pearson being dropped seems mental.
Not hugely surprising though

They are going big on the blitz and stopping the opposition behind the gainline, hence Underhill's inclusion as a bit of a one trick pony there. Ben Curry also puts up good dominant tackle numbers

Being more of a seven than a six, he was the most vulnerable back rower in there with Martin coming back in.

I'm not sure Borthwick really fancies him anyway and his form has dropped off a little from his LI performances last season.

All that said, I'd personally have him over Underhill and Curry, as he can genuinely do stuff that they can't with ball in hand
SaintK

sturginho wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:30 pm

We've been trying to convince him for a few years now.
................and straight in to the Italian training squad!
Louis Lynagh has been called up to the Italy squad as they prepare for their upcoming Guinness Six Nations match against France on Sunday, 25 February.
The Treviso-born wing, who will depart Harlequins at the end of this season to join Benetton Rugby, has been selected in the 33-player squad for the upcoming training camp in Rome.
Raggs

Good for them/him.
OomStruisbaai

Is Brn Loader still eligible for England? He had a massive game yesterday against Mapimpi for the Stormers. He has fit in nicely with the Stormers.
OomStruisbaai

Next weekend he will play against either Canan Moodie or KLA.
Margin__Walker

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:13 am Is Brn Loader still eligible for England? He had a massive game yesterday against Mapimpi for the Stormers. He has fit in nicely with the Stormers.
Not whilst he's playing overseas. Would need to be back playing in England to be in the conversation as things stand.