Baltimore bridge collapse

Where goats go to escape
TB63

Seems the ship lost power.

TB63

Sandstorm

Damn, there's cars whizzing over the bridge at the moment of impact. :sad:
inactionman

Sandstorm wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:51 am Damn, there's cars whizzing over the bridge at the moment of impact. :sad:
Apparently there were workmen on the bridge too.

Awful.
TB63

tabascoboy

Remember the bridge from season 2 of The Wire

Ymx

The conspiracy loons will be out blaming the Russians, who blame the CIA for the Russia attack.
troglodiet

Ymx wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:50 pm The conspiracy loons will be out blaming the Russians, who blame the CIA for the Russia attack.
Are you suggesting Trump is to blame, given his well-documented and proven ties with Russia?
Niegs

:eek:

Could have been much much worse if at a different time!
"We do believe at least seven," Chief James Wallace of the Baltimore Fire Department said in response to a reporter's question about how many people are unaccounted for after the incident at Francis Scott Key Bridge.

Wallace, at an early morning news conference, said two people were rescued from the water, one who didn't require medical attention, and another person who was transported to a local hospital.

Wallace said divers, as well as sonar and infrared technologies are being utilized in the search. Sonar has detected the presence of vehicles below the water's surface, he said.

Maryland Transportation Secretary Paul Wiedefeld confirmed reports of workers being on the bridge at the time of the collapse, but did not have specifics on the number of people that entailed.
troglodiet

People who came out of that alive need to thank their guardian angels.
Ymx

troglodiet wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm
Ymx wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:50 pm The conspiracy loons will be out blaming the Russians, who blame the CIA for the Russia attack.
Are you suggesting Trump is to blame, given his well-documented and proven ties with Russia?
Hell, why not
Ymx

What is the casualty count so far?
TB63

TedMaul

Preliminary loss reserves by insurers are in excess of $3bn… 😳
Hal Jordan

Chap on the radio this morning was saying they don't build bridges like this any more because a similar thing happened a good while ago to the same type of bridge. However, this bridge was built before that accident happened.
Ymx

JM2K6

Hal Jordan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:57 pm Chap on the radio this morning was saying they don't build bridges like this any more because a similar thing happened a good while ago to the same type of bridge. However, this bridge was built before that accident happened.
Plenty of engineers going "yeah most bridges are going to collapse if they get hit like that" tbf
inactionman

JM2K6 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:29 pm
Hal Jordan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:57 pm Chap on the radio this morning was saying they don't build bridges like this any more because a similar thing happened a good while ago to the same type of bridge. However, this bridge was built before that accident happened.
Plenty of engineers going "yeah most bridges are going to collapse if they get hit like that" tbf

A truss bridge is prone to collapsing across the entire length if any section is lost, and newer bridges would have more protection of the piers - although you're right to say that not many would fare that well with 100k+ tons bumping into them.

Cable-stayed bridges, just as an example, would have the piers quite a bit further apart - maybe even clearing the navigation channel - and they're less likely to progressively collapse.
fishfoodie

inactionman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:52 pm
JM2K6 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:29 pm

A truss bridge is prone to collapsing across the entire length if any section is lost, and newer bridges would have more protection of the piers - although you're right to say that not many would fare that well with 100k+ tons bumping into them.

Cable-stayed bridges, just as an example, would have the piers quite a bit further apart - maybe even clearing the navigation channel - and they're less likely to progressively collapse.
Being a regular viewer of disaster/accident investigation videos, I've seen a few bridge collapse ones, & a few of them in the US highlight the issues with piers being inadequate, either because they didn't protect the pier for collision, or tidal/flow scrub.

In this case; I'd say one of the findings will be that the pier footings just weren't big enough to protect a critical pier for a collision like this; but then again when the engineers were spec'ing them, they had no idea they'd be dealing with ships this large, traveling at these speeds.
Calculon

Ymx wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:44 pm
troglodiet wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:49 pm
Hell, why not
not seen anyone blaming Trump but the MAGA cultist are blaming Biden, and Ukraine.

I'm not an engineer so I was surprised to see how easy it is for a bridge like that to go down
Enzedder

You calling my brother a loon?

But you're right.
I drink and I forget things.
Kiwias

It was a cyber attack signaling the start of WWIII, according to two fine upstanding members of the Internet

Blackmac

TedMaul wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:19 pm Preliminary loss reserves by insurers are in excess of $3bn… 😳
I bet it hits many more times that once the yank courts bend Maersk over BP style. Every resident of Baltimore and the surrounding area will claim compensation for loss and inconvenience.
Hal Jordan

Kiwias wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:07 am It was a cyber attack signaling the start of WWIII, according to two fine upstanding members of the Internet

Jesus wept.

Pre internet, these fuckwit cancers on society would have been confined to pamphlets, shouting through a megaphone and maybe a brief but horribly damaging run in the style of Senator McCarthy. People would have had to seek them out to find out what horseshit they were peddling. Now, thanks to social media, they can post to millions with zero effort and grift like kings.
fishfoodie

Blackmac wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:14 pm
TedMaul wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:19 pm Preliminary loss reserves by insurers are in excess of $3bn… 😳
I bet it hits many more times that once the yank courts bend Maersk over BP style. Every resident of Baltimore and the surrounding area will claim compensation for loss and inconvenience.
Pretty safe bet when this little incident has shut down one of the biggest ports in the world.

What's the betting that 1st hole in this classic Swiss cheese disaster model isn't a part, or a piece of work that costs less that say $1,000 ?
Biffer

Kind of depends whether or not that bridge was included in the list of stuff that's been in national surveys of infrastructure in the US, where they've said stuff is failing, in need of urgent repair or replacement etc. There's a shit ton of infrastructure in the US that's on the point of collapse.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
TB63

fishfoodie wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:06 pm
Pretty safe bet when this little incident has shut down one of the biggest ports in the world.

What's the betting that 1st hole in this classic Swiss cheese disaster model isn't a part, or a piece of work that costs less that say $1,000 ?

Look on AIS, it's not a busy port...
Biffer

TB63 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:11 pm

It's significant in a couple of sectors - vehicles and coal I believe.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Blake

Last edited by Blake on Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASMO

Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:45 pm
TB63 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:11 pm

It's significant in a couple of sectors - vehicles and coal I believe.
and natural gas
shaggy

Oil & Gas companies tend to self-insure, shipping companies carry liability insurance. Outcome will be very different unless there is a criminal activity or gross negligence found as the cause.
Rhubarb & Custard

shaggy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am
Oil & Gas companies tend to self-insure, shipping companies carry liability insurance. Outcome will be very different unless there is a criminal activity or gross negligence found as the cause.
unless it's the now rather widespread black fleet carrying O&G who don't worry overly about insurance, or seaworthy vessels even. though somehow I don't think they'd be sailing into Baltimore, at least I hope not
troglodiet

Hal Jordan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:06 pm
Kiwias wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:07 am It was a cyber attack signaling the start of WWIII, according to two fine upstanding members of the Internet

Jesus wept.

Pre internet, these fuckwit cancers on society would have been confined to pamphlets, shouting through a megaphone and maybe a brief but horribly damaging run in the style of Senator McCarthy. People would have had to seek them out to find out what horseshit they were peddling. Now, thanks to social media, they can post to millions with zero effort and grift like kings.
These two should not be included in the political landscape. They are nothing more than conspiracy theorists and belongs to the same group as David Icke does.

What is interesting is Paul Joseph Watson, previously Alex Jones' colleague/partner, has a video out stating that this whole incident is an.......accident, nothing more. I was rather surprised when I saw that.

But conspiracy theories are much more interesting. Like.....did you know the skipper of this boat is an Ukrainian? So my theory is that Ukraine did this to blackmail the US of A to give them more money for the war or else.....

I hereby announce the official start of my job as a conspiracy theorist, a job that has made quite a lot of people very rich. On both sides, and outside, of the political spectrum.
Guy Smiley

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am
shaggy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

unless it's the now rather widespread black fleet carrying O&G who don't worry overly about insurance, or seaworthy vessels even. though somehow I don't think they'd be sailing into Baltimore, at least I hope not
Especially with a container ship.
Uncle fester

Blackmac

Uncle fester wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:19 pm Crew are in an awful position.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-69011124
Absolutely disgusting that they are having to endure that because of visa restrictions.
Uncle fester

Can you imagine the uproar if it was westerners being cooped up in an Indian harbour?
Margin__Walker

Uncle fester wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:26 pm Can you imagine the uproar if it was westerners being cooped up in an Indian harbour?
Yep, we'd be hearing about it on day 2 and they'd be off the ship that evening.

Unbelievable that they are still stuck there like non people.
fishfoodie

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:29 pm
Uncle fester wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:26 pm Can you imagine the uproar if it was westerners being cooped up in an Indian harbour?

One of the reasons I have all the time in the world for the Seamans Union is the way they support people in situations like this, which happen way too often.

There was a small merchant tied up for over a year in Dublin, because the owners decided that it was easier to abandon the ship rather than pay the crew, & the poor sods were left without visas & pay, while the wheels of Justice ground slowly, & the crew seized the ship & sold it to try & get enough money to fly home.
shaggy

Margin__Walker wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:29 pm

I would be wary of believing the stories are telling the whole truth. I have been detained for weeks in non-UK ports and I know of Brits who have been detained for months in different parts of the World.

Do we actually know what the crew rota is? They could be at the front end of a 6 month rotation and not due to get off for a long time yet.

Also it is the duty of the vessel manager to provide services so if phones have been confiscated why have they not been provided with replacement telecoms? Is the ships satellite system damaged? Can they not use the crew welfare phone? Maritime Labour Convention covers crew welfare and living conditions, are they not meeting these requirements? Is the vessel arrested?