Hoggy Retires

Where goats go to escape
Biffer

Uncle fester wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:30 pm Few stories doing the rounds...
Key question about these stories - if his wife kicked him out, how did he do an interview with Ugo Monye at his own house the following week?
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Slick

Biffer wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:31 am
Key question about these stories - if his wife kicked him out, how did he do an interview with Ugo Monye at his own house the following week?
And this must be the first time anything the SRU has ever done has worked quite well.

“Lads, a few weeks before the WC let’s try and cover up a non story by Hoggy doing a massive round of interviews, getting a new job, all coaches and senior players doing interviews and all cross our fingers it doesn’t leak out. Oh, and get his wife in on the cover up as well, I’m sure she’s not too pissed off”
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Uncle fester

EnergiseR2 wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:37 am
Uncle fester wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:12 am With the timing of his retirement, there was always going to be speculation.

I'm waiting for the Zebo declares for France rumour to catch on myself.
That's actually true. Here he is on the preferred local transport

Dave Kearney wishes he had a bum like that.
Uncle fester

This is awkward.

That said, bit pathetic if his private life caused his retirement from playing pro rugby.
Sandstorm

Uncle fester wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:56 am This is awkward.

That said, bit pathetic if his private life caused his retirement from playing pro rugby.
Same thing happened to Jantjies
Biffer

Twenty years time he's going to end up as the traditional fat borders former shagger, sitting at the end of the bar bloated as fuck, seven kids by three different women, none of whom talk to him anymore, telling stories about a lions tours so someone buys him a pint.
Uncle fester

Slick wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:25 pm Funnily enough being circulated almost entirely by Irish and Welsh.
I liked this bit in the Wail.
The Wales Rugby breaking news and top stories WhatsApp community has launched - and thousands of fans have already joined. You can expect the day's top stories and major updates sent directly to your WhatsApp from our team - allowing you to stay up to date with all the latest Welsh rugby news for free.
Yep, loads about Welsh rugby in that story.
Rhubarb & Custard

If he's simply refusing to move out after cheating on his wife and kids that doesn't make the story better, it makes it substantively worse.
Blackmac

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:42 am
If he's simply refusing to move out after cheating on his wife and kids that doesn't make the story better, it makes it substantively worse.
Yeah, absolutely appalling behaviour. If you are going to shag about, be a man and accept the consequences, but if the stories are true and he has forced his wife and 4 kids out of the house, then as you say, substantially worse.
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:06 am Twenty years time he's going to end up as the traditional fat borders former shagger, sitting at the end of the bar bloated as fuck, seven kids by three different women, none of whom talk to him anymore, telling stories about a lions tours so someone buys him a pint.
Yeah, he will have made good money, but an acrimonious divorce settlement and keeping a younger, apparently quite demanding new lady happy will quickly erode that down to the square root of fuck all. He's not exactly a good pundit so I can't see them falling over to keep him.

I can't believe he was actually kicking about Hawick with the girlfriend. Shows a serious lack of awareness.
Slick

Uncle fester wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:42 am
Slick wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:25 pm Funnily enough being circulated almost entirely by Irish and Welsh.
I liked this bit in the Wail.
The Wales Rugby breaking news and top stories WhatsApp community has launched - and thousands of fans have already joined. You can expect the day's top stories and major updates sent directly to your WhatsApp from our team - allowing you to stay up to date with all the latest Welsh rugby news for free.
Yep, loads about Welsh rugby in that story.
I think, but not 100% sure, that there are 2 different stories.

One about him shagging a teenager behind a tent which most think is bollocks, and this which obviously isn't.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Begbie

Biffer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:06 am Twenty years time he's going to end up as the traditional fat borders former shagger, sitting at the end of the bar bloated as fuck, seven kids by three different women, none of whom talk to him anymore, telling stories about a lions tours so someone buys him a pint.
Sounds like my great uncle, except the Lions part.
So I squares up, casual like.
laurent

Begbie wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:38 am
Sounds like my great uncle, except the Lions part.
He shagged a lion ? :shock:
Uncle fester

Looks like he's enjoying retirement anyway.
Share Message - Former Scotland rugby captain Stuart Hogg charged by police - BBC News
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cp4l8vnjvr9o
dkm57

Sad end to an illustrious career. Hope he can turn things around and sort himself out for the sake of his family if nothing else.
inactionman

The boy needs to stop drinking.
dpedin

I am sure I posted on here years ago about him? When I was working I had a female colleague from the Borders who knew him, and his family, since he was a vey young kid. She didn't mince her words, as per most Borderers, and was very disparaging about Hogg, saying he was arrogant and conceited and not a very nice person full stop. She said even when young he was a bit of an arse, so I am not surprised by what has now developed.

On the other hand she only had praise for Darcy Graham, said he was a 'lovely young laddie' who was polite, charming and very surprised about the fame that has come his way. She said he was well liked in his community and just mucked in with all his mates from school and local rugby club as normal and didn't look nor expect any grace or favours - not that he would get any down there!
Blackmac

I see there is footage of him after the game doing the rounds. Absolutely blootered on a tram or train. Being very leery with a young blond who doesn't appear overly pleased.

It will be interesting to see if his arrest affects his TV work, after all ITV haven't actually set a high bar for the moral standards of their presenters.
C69

He has always had a reputation as an arrogant piece of shit who can't handle his drink.
Fuck him
sockwithaticket

There were rumours way back that part of the move to Exeter was his shagging around Hawick, but that he didn't exactly turn over a new leaf in his new city.
SaintK

Blackmac wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:59 pm I see there is footage of him after the game doing the rounds. Absolutely blootered on a tram or train. Being very leery with a young blond who doesn't appear overly pleased.

It will be interesting to see if his arrest affects his TV work, after all ITV haven't actually set a high bar for the moral standards of their presenters.
Hopefully yes. He's feckin' awful at it on TNT
Sandstorm

inactionman wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:04 am The boy needs to stop drinking.
As a bar owner that isn’t likely to happen soon.
Biffer

The statement published does still have a touch of ‘someone else’s fault’ about it imo.

There’s no apology there. Talks about taking accountability but then it’s all about online abuse.
sockwithaticket

The full statement the article's cribbed from. Pretty self-absorbed and unapologetic considering what he's done if you ask me.

C T

sockwithaticket wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 am The full statement the article's cribbed from. Pretty self-absorbed and unapologetic considering what he's done if you ask me.

Just want to start by acknowledging that I have absolutely no idea what it is like to retire from elite level sport. I know BOD struggled, however dealt with it way better than Hoggy. Maybe a better support network around him? Maybe life experiences before that helped him deal? No idea. Also I have no idea what it's like to have all my dirty laundry hung out for all to see.

I think Hoggy has been struggling for a while, reflecting back.

However, all that said, he will not make progress without changing his mindset. He has to adjust 1) His actions, 2) How he responds to the negativity that life throws up.

Just blaming others, it's gratifying but short term. If that is where he has landed I give it 6-12 months before the next bad Hoggy headline.

If that's where he has landed he hasn't had the re-set that he thinks he has had.

When I read the statement I was shaking my head, and I say that with Hoggy (the player) being a bit of a hero of mine.
SaintK

sockwithaticket wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:24 am The full statement the article's cribbed from. Pretty self-absorbed and unapologetic considering what he's done if you ask me.

Spot on!
epwc

Really sad, loved the way he played, but yeah he doesn't sound like someone that's on the road to recovery
robmatic

If you were cynical you might think this statement is an attempt at shaping the story before his upcoming court appearance.
Blackmac

robmatic wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:58 pm If you were cynical you might think this statement is an attempt at shaping the story before his upcoming court appearance.
I'm cynical.
geordie_6

Blackmac wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:54 pm
robmatic wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:58 pm If you were cynical you might think this statement is an attempt at shaping the story before his upcoming court appearance.
I'm cynical.
Mental health? Tick
Alcohol issues? Tick
Blaming others? Tick

Now all he needs to do is rock up at the court in his best tracksuit, and he's squared away.
SaintK

Tuesday is the day then.
Former Scotland rugby captain Stuart Hogg will appear in court on Tuesday facing multiple charges including stalking. The 31-year-old is accused of causing fear and alarm – The Times report.
He faces additional allegations under the Domestic Abuse (Scotland) Act for engaging in behaviour abusive toward his estranged wife Gillian 36 with whom he has four children.

A third charge against Hogg pertains to his failure to comply with an undertaking; the details of which will be addressed at Jedburgh Sheriff Court. His arrest followed an incident at the home of his former partner in Hawick Roxburghshire on Sunday February 25 just a day after he witnessed Scotland’s win over England in the Calcutta Cup at Murrayfield.
Hugo

dpedin wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:13 am I am sure I posted on here years ago about him? When I was working I had a female colleague from the Borders who knew him, and his family, since he was a vey young kid. She didn't mince her words, as per most Borderers, and was very disparaging about Hogg, saying he was arrogant and conceited and not a very nice person full stop. She said even when young he was a bit of an arse, so I am not surprised by what has now developed.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Incredible the direction his life has taken and he's still only 31.

According to his wiki page he is distantly related to George Best, I had no idea.

When you read stuff like this 12 years later its just tragic.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/17146354
"It's pretty amazing and I hope I can follow his example in the good ways," said Hogg. "He was renowned for his skill on the pitch.

"I'm not the kind of person that does daft stuff off it (the playing field)."