The Scottish Politics Thread

Where goats go to escape
Slick

tc27 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:34 pm Objectively I think Swinney is much more convincing than Yusaf and will probaly help stop the SNP slide. Perhaps a bit naive of the opposition partied to expedite his downfall

The GE will be really interesting. So many finely balanced seats in Scotland.
Not sure I agree with the first bit, there is a lot of eye rolling and sentiments of same old, same old, so I’m not sure he is going to achieve much in terms of the polls. Re Humza, it might have been fun to keep him on for a while but he was genuinely terrible and doing damage so I’m personally very pleased he has gone
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Big D

I don't agree with Kate Forbes on a range of issues, a few of which I will never agree with her on, particularly the more obvious ones, but the pile on from the Greens is laughable as it is only because they got kicked out of government.

Finance secretary is probably a more important role than deputy FM and they worked happily along side her.
Slick

Big D wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:56 am I don't agree with Kate Forbes on a range of issues, a few of which I will never agree with her on, particularly the more obvious ones, but the pile on from the Greens is laughable as it is only because they got kicked out of government.

Finance secretary is probably a more important role than deputy FM and they worked happily along side her.
They are showing themselves to be what they are, a sixth form geek club. It's very frustrating not to have an effective and sensible Green Party in Scotland.
robmatic

Big D wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:56 am I don't agree with Kate Forbes on a range of issues, a few of which I will never agree with her on, particularly the more obvious ones, but the pile on from the Greens is laughable as it is only because they got kicked out of government.

It is also somewhat ridiculous that it is about her social conservatism when they were perfectly happy about a mosque-attending Muslim FM and mainstream Islamic views on family values are somewhat regressive.
Tichtheid

Scotland’s vulnerable marine life not properly protected, campaigners warn

Scottish government accused of missing deadlines to take action on overfishing and effects of climate breakdown

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/art ... tion-areas
Blackmac

Tichtheid wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:47 am Scotland’s vulnerable marine life not properly protected, campaigners warn

Scottish government accused of missing deadlines to take action on overfishing and effects of climate breakdown

Missing and moving deadlines seems to be a constant theme. They basically seem incapable of doing anything right.

On another note I see Swinney is rejecting the standards committee's recommendations on Matheson. They really do feel they are beyond reproach.
Slick

Blackmac wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 3:12 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 7:47 am Scotland’s vulnerable marine life not properly protected, campaigners warn

Missing and moving deadlines seems to be a constant theme. They basically seem incapable of doing anything right.

On another note I see Swinney is rejecting the standards committee's recommendations on Matheson. They really do feel they are beyond reproach.
Can he do anything about it? I'd seen that the vote on 27 day ban from Parliament was split along party lines in the committee, but the not getting his MSP salary for 56 days was unanimous.

It seems really daft to be challenging it, most people had moved on and he's now brought it back into the spotlight.