The Official Aotearoa Politics Thread

Where goats go to escape
Wignu

Not_Couch wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:40 am
Wild Beef wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:51 am
Kiwias wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:42 am

What is your cause?
Labour is a vote for more of the same, and I think serious changes are needed. Inequality is getting worse and house prices are going insane. Labour won’t fix this.
Started by John keys government mate
Started by Clark and Keys governments to be more correct. The point is they've had 3 years thus far to do something about housing and have failed miserably, let's hope now they can govern alone they will bring something meaningful to the table and do it!
Jimmy Smallsteps

This was the right result. JA has been a remarkable PM and deserved a massive mandate like this to demonstrate our gratitude.

I was impressed with Judith Collins' speech. It was a poised effort from a genuine leader.

The dick of the night was Kelvin Davis with his pissed head boy's poem. Truly pathetic, and my thanks to Newshub for cutting him off.
Jimmy Smallsteps

** Spoiler alert **

I was one of the Kiwis who turned Rangitata red.

Come at me bros!

Woot woot!

:clap:
Wild Beef

Wignu wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:54 am

Labour is a vote for more of the same, and I think serious changes are needed. Inequality is getting worse and house prices are going insane. Labour won’t fix this.
Started by Clark and Keys governments to be more correct. The point is they've had 3 years thus far to do something about housing and have failed miserably, let's hope now they can govern alone they will bring something meaningful to the table and do it!
The issues probably predate even Clark. The important fact is neither labour nor national are willing to do anything near what is needed for fear of scaring off middle NZ
Enzedder

Rupert Murdoch's cronies weren't impressed initially

I drink and I forget things.
Gumboot

A press release from the Electoral Commission this morning puts the turnout in the 2020 election at an estimated 82.5%. If confirmed that would make it the highest turnout since the 1999 election.
:thumbup:
Ted.

CGT.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Ted. wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:02 pm

CGT.
Not while Ardern is PM.
Ted.

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:47 pm Rupert Murdoch's cronies weren't impressed initially

Whose polls were the reading, the tea lady's?
Ted.

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:03 pm
CGT.
Not while Ardern is PM.
Quite.

BTW, are you affected?
Ted.

New Northcote MP Shanan Halbert loses dad on election day
That's incredibly tough.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... ection-day
Jb1981

Was that the most anti-climatic election we’ve had (at least under MMP)? It went with the polls and we don’t have to endure a couple of weeks of Winston Peter’s theatrics to know what’s happening.

All that’s left seems to be seeing if special votes sway Tamati Coffey’s electorate, what Labour may offer the Greens and whether National make any knee jerk reactions to their rebuild.

Even Dark and Muttonbird seem fairly subdued about the whole thing.
Not_Couch

It's just sobering to know where the country is heading, without all the political garbage of who's going to join who in what coalition.

Just get on with the job. Alot of bruised egos on the right atm. Act can thank their lucky star ex Nats have them their support. David Seymour looks like a mannequin with a recorder up his bum.
Guy Smiley

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:47 pm Rupert Murdoch's cronies weren't impressed initially

😂😂😂

Now that my laughter has subsided, that’s a massive slab of what is wrong with so called democracy. Blatant propaganda operating under the guise of established media.
stunt_cunt

Not_Couch wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:16 pm It's just sobering to know where the country is heading, without all the political garbage of who's going to join who in what coalition.

Just get on with the job. Alot of bruised egos on the right atm. Act can thank their lucky star ex Nats have them their support. David Seymour looks like a mannequin with a recorder up his bum.
He has to be the most wooden looking motherfucker on the planet. Just monotone through every emotion.
Wild Beef

David Seymour wasn’t very wooden last night...
Wignu

Neither was Shane Jones but that's because he was at least half tanked :lol:
Carter's Choice

Who are the rabid National Party supporters on this forum that I can laugh at?
Stumpy

CGT.
Hasn't stopped housing bubbles anywhere it is implemented.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Ted. wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:05 pm

CGT.
Not while Ardern is PM.
Quite.

BTW, are you affected?
No, I've been sucking from the public sector teat since August last year.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:46 am
Ted. wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:05 pm

Not while Ardern is PM.
Quite.

BTW, are you affected?
No, I've been sucking from the public sector teat since August last year.
:grin: :wave:
Fat Old Git

CGT.
Not while Ardern is PM.
I suspect one of the reasons they have managed to take so many voters away from National has been the assurances against things like CGT. It's allowed them to capture the trust of many center voters.
Monkey Magic

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:09 pm This was the right result. JA has been a remarkable PM and deserved a massive mandate like this to demonstrate our gratitude.

I was impressed with Judith Collins' speech. It was a poised effort from a genuine leader.

The dick of the night was Kelvin Davis with his pissed head boy's poem. Truly pathetic, and my thanks to Newshub for cutting him off.
Raises the point, who will be deputy pm?

Also I was on the tvnz coverage and by 7pm bridges was already laying into the national leadership. Nikki Kaye who has already been given the boot was in studio and giving a far better account of backing National. Basically summed bridges up, tone deaf whinging prick
Flockwitt

Heard an interesting stat on the radio. With the new blood coming in we'll end up with a 1/3 of all MPs under 40.

My perspective on the election was that it seems to have worked as a process. The mood of the country was that Jacinda had earned enough trust to be given a mandate to have a decent stab at it for the next 3 years. Pretty sure though if she doesn't make a good job of it those votes that went her way will switch to somebody else quickly enough. I wouldn't be putting money on her being returned at the end of this term.

Nats will need to have a very serious think about why ACT did so well.
Enzedder

Flockwitt wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:31 am Heard an interesting stat on the radio. With the new blood coming in we'll end up with a 1/3 of all MPs under 40. Interesting - will they make the same old mistakes or will the be less scared of giving things a go

My perspective on the election was that it seems to have worked as a process. The mood of the country was that Jacinda had earned enough trust to be given a mandate to have a decent stab at it for the next 3 years. Pretty sure though if she doesn't make a good job of it those votes that went her way will switch to somebody else quickly enough. That's always a given but John Key got in again because... CunliffeI wouldn't be putting money on her being returned at the end of this term. Gee, you're a hard nut - give her a chance before you write them off

Nats will need to have a very serious think about why ACT did so well. 51 dead people and guns; plus National's implosions
Flockwitt

Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 am
Flockwitt wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:31 am Heard an interesting stat on the radio. With the new blood coming in we'll end up with a 1/3 of all MPs under 40. Interesting - will they make the same old mistakes or will the be less scared of giving things a go

My perspective on the election was that it seems to have worked as a process. The mood of the country was that Jacinda had earned enough trust to be given a mandate to have a decent stab at it for the next 3 years. Pretty sure though if she doesn't make a good job of it those votes that went her way will switch to somebody else quickly enough. That's always a given but John Key got in again because... CunliffeI wouldn't be putting money on her being returned at the end of this term. Gee, you're a hard nut - give her a chance before you write them off
I'm not writing her off. It's as much about how the world economy spins as anything she does is more my point. If say they find the Covid vaccines aren't that effective and the stock market takes a real plunge she'll be toast regardless. Or if she's successful at something it could still backfire, if she does rein in the house prices and then middle NZ flips back to the Nats to vote her out.

Nats will need to have a very serious think about why ACT did so well. 51 dead people and guns; plus National's implosions
Enzedder

Ah, I see what you mean.

Agree - cannot please then all
Monkey Magic

Amy stats out yet around the voter demographics?

Given the referendum was on and the greens/chloe results is it likely that the youth actually came out this time?

He says sadly realizing he is no longer part of that group...
Flockwitt

Enzedder wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:50 am Ah, I see what you mean.

Conversely I'm really really happy with the result of this election. Not that Labour "won" but because of what it demonstrated about the strength of the swing vote in NZ. Somebody did something right, they got rewarded, a miss-step or three and someone got punished. People got out and voted in numbers and made their opinion count. A genuine reflection of the strength of the MMP system. Unhappy with the Nats but not going to vote Labour? Off you go somewhere else like ACT and get seats in Parliament to be heard. I think it's very healthy to see that number of people who are prepared to vote differently from their stereotype. I live in the Ilam electorate and a bunch of my mates are in that group, pretty much life long Nat voters who this time tipped a nod to Labour. It's given the innate arrogance of the Nats a badly needed kick up the rear end and woken more than a few eyes up. We'll get a far better and more effective government out of this result in the long term than any two party first past the post race that's decided by who's the least apathetic.
Jimmy Smallsteps

My family all voted Labour and helped turn Rangitata red.

Ardern thanked those who wouldn't normally vote Labour and we were a prime example.

Though, to be fair I've voted for Labour more often than National.
Maniototo Man

Wild Beef wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:18 pm David Seymour wasn’t very wooden last night...
That's what Mrs Seymour said.

TBF he had been celebrating.
Maniototo Man

Gumboot wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:56 pm
A press release from the Electoral Commission this morning puts the turnout in the 2020 election at an estimated 82.5%. If confirmed that would make it the highest turnout since the 1999 election.
:thumbup:
Presumably the two referenda brought more people out as well.
Enzedder

By Ron, ya cheeky bastard. Wasn't the worst Minister of defence although that title is a huge misnomer.

Stumpy

Flockwitt wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:48 am

Conversely I'm really really happy with the result of this election. Not that Labour "won" but because of what it demonstrated about the strength of the swing vote in NZ. Somebody did something right, they got rewarded, a miss-step or three and someone got punished. People got out and voted in numbers and made their opinion count. A genuine reflection of the strength of the MMP system. Unhappy with the Nats but not going to vote Labour? Off you go somewhere else like ACT and get seats in Parliament to be heard. I think it's very healthy to see that number of people who are prepared to vote differently from their stereotype. I live in the Ilam electorate and a bunch of my mates are in that group, pretty much life long Nat voters who this time tipped a nod to Labour. It's given the innate arrogance of the Nats a badly needed kick up the rear end and woken more than a few eyes up. We'll get a far better and more effective government out of this result in the long term than any two party first past the post race that's decided by who's the least apathetic.
Well said although I don't quite understand what Labour got right. Housing? No. Poverty? No, planting trees? No. Education? Good lord no. Health? Transport and infrastructure? What runs do they actually have on the board?
Flockwitt

Stumpy wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:14 am

Well said although I don't quite understand what Labour got right. Housing? No. Poverty? No, planting trees? No. Education? Good lord no. Health? Transport and infrastructure? What runs do they actually have on the board?
Oh, I agree. I was looking intently away from them myself for anything that ticked my boxes. What Labour did do is play the election smart. They didn't put up anything that would give voters reasons to vote against them. They resisted a wealth tax or similar. And they didn't delve into outright election bribes.

Personally I think the point you raised there will see the swing vote go just as much against them in 2023 unless they do do something significant. The public will be watching and saying we gave you a mandate... what are you doing with it? Will be interesting.
Auckman

Ted. wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:22 pm
New Northcote MP Shanan Halbert loses dad on election day
That's incredibly tough.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... ection-day
Was at uni with this fulla Halbert. Good to see he finally cracked Northcote after years of trying. Sad about his dad.
Auckman

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:43 am My family all voted Labour and helped turn Rangitata red.

Ardern thanked those who wouldn't normally vote Labour and we were a prime example.

Though, to be fair I've voted for Labour more often than National.
Pretty amazing result. Kind of like Texas turning blue?
Auckman

I like the strategic voting that MMP allows too. So flexible. It's a great voting system. The STV in Australia is a dog's bollocks in comparison.
Gumboot

The preliminary referendum results have just been announced. YES to EOLC 65.2% - 33.8%. NO to Cannabis 53.1% - 46.1%.

There are still about 480,000 special votes to be counted and the official results will be confirmed next Friday.
Enzedder

Gumboot wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:10 am The preliminary referendum results have just been announced. YES to EOLC 65.2% - 33.8%. NO to Cannabis 53.1% - 46.1%.

There are still about 480,000 special votes to be counted and the official results will be confirmed next Friday.
As mentioned elsewhere, The gangs are delighted that they still have a monopoly on sales of dope to the youth of NZ. Well done to the uneducated and misinformed idiots who voted for the current broken system to continue.

Lets hope we can somehow review the current outdated laws which are not working.