Bledisloe III: Wallabies vs All Blacks: MATCH THREAD: Sydney 31st Oct

Where goats go to escape
Jimmy Smallsteps

Certain Navigator wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:20 pm
Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:04 pm As brilliant as RMo can be, I would trade just a smidgen of that for consistency.

Hard for me to call MoM between he, ALB and Whitelock.

Oh and, a big up for the Waikato lad .... Fozzie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rennie
Two outstanding matches in a row, preceded by an average one in which everybody was average. If that's inconsistency, give me more of it!

I'm a big fan of ALB, and think his combination with Goodhue is developing nicely (last year was too soon), but a candidate for MoM? Sorry, no...
Excellent post.
Enzedder

Yeah, I would trade just a smidgen of his brilliance to get him firing 3 out of 3. Can't believe you think he's OK with 2/3rds top output.

That's Todd Blackadder level
I drink and I forget things.
Carter's Choice

Watched the QLD state election last night. so had to settle for watching a replay of this match this morning.

The AB's looked really in good in patches in the 1st half, but the second half was very messy and stop-start. Handling was very poor in the 2nd half, but I was also frustrated to see TJ Perenara deliberately slow the ball down at almost every single attacking breakdown. This must be a deliberate ploy, but I can't see the benefit for the AB's.

I thought Hoksins Soutu was solid without being spectacular. He didn't get a chance to showcase his ball running ability, but his nice play to setup Rieko Ioane's try showed Sotutu's quality and playmaking skillset.

Richie Mo'unga looked very good in the first half. It is clear that he is growing in confidence, and looks to be the leader of this team's attack. BB had few opportunities but his deft kick to create Mo'unga's 2nd try was exactly how the "second playmaker" structure should work. The less BB overplay's his hand, the better the AB's look.

I thought Anton Lienart-Brown was close to Man of the Match. He was great in defense, consistently shutting down Wallaby attacks. Petaia and Simone look like a quality young midfield and they will learn a lot from watching the defensive decision that ALB made in this game.

Sam Whitelock was the dominant lock on the field. He brings so much composure and leadership to our pack, and is as reliable as ever at lineout time. Whilst Tuipulotu and Vaa'i played well in Auckland, we missed his experience and talent.

Overall an entertaining first half, and some promising signs from the ABs, both from the players and the coaching team.
Ted.

Wignu wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:12 pm
Kiwias wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:49 am
MungoMan wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:47 am

With Daylight taking all the minor placings. His dominance was, dare I say it, verging in the Carter-like.
As good as Mo was, and I am a massive fan, Big Sam W led the effort in the forwards that gave Mo the room to strut his stuff.
Agree, the Big W MoM for me but wouldn't be disappointed for a joint award between him & RMo.
That's a fair call.
Ted.

Monkey Magic wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:31 pm Interesting how they were able to manipulate the defence in that first half to get such a big overlap for big Karl, and also give Mo a one on one with space against the hooker. O know Au were a man down but that was either really clever attack or some average defence.

Also Mo'unga with time running at the line is great to see. He has the speed and footwork to go himself but also the ability to pick out runners.

Anyone see why TJ went down and was talking to the linesman? If he was carrying a knock that's the only reason I can think of him being that bad
IIRC, there was some talk of a late charge on him, well off the ball. No replay obviously. :roll:
Kiwias

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:31 pm Yeah, I would trade just a smidgen of his brilliance to get him firing 3 out of 3. Can't believe you think he's OK with 2/3rds top output.

I've just opened all the windows in the house to remove the smell of that old bait.
FujiKiwi

Trapper wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:53 am Rennie being out coached by Foster was a bit of a surprise.
Was it really that, though?

More just an experience versus naïveté thing, for me.

The cattle more than the coaching.
Last edited by FujiKiwi on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jb1981

Kiwias wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:24 am
Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:31 pm Yeah, I would trade just a smidgen of his brilliance to get him firing 3 out of 3. Can't believe you think he's OK with 2/3rds top output.

I've just opened all the windows in the house to remove the smell of that old bait.
I’m a glass half full person so looked at that and smiled thinking, Enzedder has gone on record stating that Todd Blackadder was brilliant 2 out of 3 times.
Last edited by Jb1981 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trapper

Wild Beef wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:32 pm
Grandpa wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:35 am Hopefully this put to bed those thinking Jordie Barrett should be an All Black. Even the try he scored he looked like he was running backwards... he is just too slow to be any back three position at test level.... it's a travesty that players like Will Jordan, David Havilii or any other half decent fullback in NZ are not getting a game because of Jordie's surname...
I’d say the fact he was fast enough to score a try from 50m out lends evidence against you, not for you.
The thing with Jordie, whether you like him or not is that he is a bit of a points scoring machine.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Trapper wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:36 am
Grandpa wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:35 am Hopefully this put to bed those thinking Jordie Barrett should be an All Black. Even the try he scored he looked like he was running backwards... he is just too slow to be any back three position at test level.... it's a travesty that players like Will Jordan, David Havilii or any other half decent fullback in NZ are not getting a game because of Jordie's surname...
I’d say the fact he was fast enough to score a try from 50m out lends evidence against you, not for you.
The thing with Jordie, whether you like him or not is that he is a bit of a points scoring machine.
He's playing on the wing, for the All Blacks. There'd be something wrong if he wasn't.
Auckman

Great game from Mo'unga last night. I bagged him in Bled 1 so its only fair to give credit when he plays well.

Yes they were up against a schoolboy backline but BB and Mounga combined very well.
Auckman

:lol: :lol:
Trapper

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:51 am

He's playing on the wing, for the All Blacks. There'd be something wrong if he wasn't.
You must think Caleb is shit then. Anyway, Jordy scored whilst playing at fullback last night.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Trapper wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:12 am

You must think Caleb is shit then. Anyway, Jordy scored whilst playing at fullback last night.
Caleb is assisting others through his size and pace. I can live with that while the tries will eventually come.
Trapper

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:14 am

Caleb is assisting others through his size and pace. I can live with that while the tries will eventually come.
Hmmmm You expect Jordy to be scoring but at the same time you're happy to wait for Caleb to do the same. Fair enough.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Trapper wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:52 am

Hmmmm You expect Jordy to be scoring but at the same time you're happy to wait for Caleb to do the same. Fair enough.
Jordie has been on the end of some nice moves. He's hardly creating amazing solo tries.

But sure, good luck to the guy.

Are you Steve Hansen?
Fat Old Git

Jb1981 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:09 am

I’m a glass half full person so looked at that and smiled thinking, Enzedder has gone on record stating that Todd Blackadder was brilliant 2 out of 3 times.
:lol:
NotNaki

As brilliant as MoMoney was (clearly the best 10 in the game and starting to play like it consistently at test level), that game was all about the Sams for me. Cane is in unprecedented form and was once again everywhere last night, but Whitelock was outstanding. Must have been our top carrier, most effective tackler, and probably turnover winner as well. Still some life in those old legs.

Still really hard to gauge where this team is yet. The forwards haven't been tested consistently yet, and the backs job's are being made to look easy by some clueless, error-fudged play by the opposition. Really wish the Boks weren't such pussies, would love to get stuck into them next.
FujiKiwi

I thought the Aussies won a lot of the straight up collisions. When a Tu'ungafasi or a Frizell charged straight at them, their defense was up to it. I was surprised we didn't punch more holes there.
Carter's Choice

FujiKiwi wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:50 am I thought the Aussies won a lot of the straight up collisions. When a Tu'ungafasi or a Frizell charged straight at them, their defense was up to it. I was surprised we didn't punch more holes there.
Yep, overall the Wallaby defense was very good. As you say, they won the collisions and smashed our big men close to the ruck. Where they came unstuck was out wide trying to defend against moments of AB brilliance. That's more about decision making than structures and attitude, which were very good IMO. Also, that's because the Wallabies deliberately played with a condensed defense. That's great against A and B runners, but leaves you exposed out wide.
Last edited by Carter's Choice on Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trapper

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:57 am

Jordie has been on the end of some nice moves. He's hardly creating amazing solo tries.

Are you Steve Hansen?
I bet if it was Caleb or anyone else who ran the line Jordie did through two tacklers and “sprinting” 50 meters to score under the posts you’d be creaming your pants. But you know, Jordie he doesn’t do anything.
Sards

Its very sad to watch this tournament with such history and non participation from our National side....heart breaking
Chilli

Sards wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:59 am Its very sad to watch this tournament with such history and non participation from our National side....heart breaking
Never change!
FujiKiwi

I have to admit Sam Cane has had a fine third game in a row.

Dalton "The Future" Papalii did look incredibly industrious when he came on, as well.
Carter's Choice

FujiKiwi wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:07 am I have to admit Sam Cane has had a fine third game in a row.

Dalton "The Future" Papalii did look incredibly industrious when he came on, as well.
Cane has been good. But hard to really judge him give he's only played the Wallabies. For all we know this is the weakest Wallaby team in a generation. He's always been a very strong tackler but he's added a passing game to his repertoire.
FujiKiwi

Yeah, not a the strongest benchmark to grade AB performances against.

The missus was annoyed at how irate I was that Big Karl didn't pass before his try. "He scored it, so who cares?"

A stronger defensive effort could have snuffed that greedy move out.
Ymx

Any news on his neck?

I thought him walking off and giving interview was a good sign.

However didn’t he walk off when he broke his neck the first time.
Ymx

FujiKiwi wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:18 am Yeah, not a the strongest benchmark to grade AB performances against.

The missus was annoyed at how irate I was that Big Karl didn't pass before his try. "He scored it, so who cares?"

Yeah I was the same, think it took quite a slide to get him there. Was he even pushed over the line by ABs. And even then he could have easily been held up.
obelixtim

Ymx wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:28 am
FujiKiwi wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:18 am Yeah, not a the strongest benchmark to grade AB performances against.

Yeah I was the same, think it took quite a slide to get him there. Was he even pushed over the line by ABs. And even then he could have easily been held up.
Yet Clarke and Coles both butchered tries that they really should have scored. No comment about them?
Jb1981

obelixtim wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:41 am
Ymx wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:28 am

Yet Clarke and Coles both butchered tries that they really should have scored. No comment about them?
Those were different situations. Clarke was stopped by a good tackle and Coles failed (arguably) to ground the ball chasing through. If Tu'inukuafe hadn’t scored that would have been the only truly butchered try.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Trapper wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:51 am
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:57 am

Are you Steve Hansen?
I bet if it was Caleb or anyone else who ran the line Jordie did through two tacklers and “sprinting” 50 meters to score under the posts you’d be creaming your pants. But you know, Jordie he doesn’t do anything.
No bias here, I'm a Highlanders supporting guy from Mid Canterbury who also has time for the Crusaders.

I don't really give a fuck about either Clarke or Barrett.

I will say that Clarke looks like the next left wing superstar. Barrett's best position looks to be fullback, but I can live with him playing on the wing.

I will say that it is pushing it to claim Barrett is somehow a generator of points, having been the beneficiary of great work inside him.

It would be equally ambitious to claim Clarke doesn't have a nose for the tryline after terrorising opposition backlines in his first two tests.

The fact Jordie is popping up on the end of the line doesn't mean he's a try manufacturer. And just because Clarke isn't scoring tries immediately doesn't mean that he can't bag 'em.
Kiwias

The 38-point win over the Wallabies surpasses the 37-point win in 1996 at Athletic Park in utterly appalling conditions but the ABs were far more dominant in the 1996 match against a much stronger Wallaby team (and despite the wanker of a ref calling the game over 2~3 minutes short of full time). I think that still stands as the greatest win we have had over them.

ABs
C. W. Dowd
S. B. T. Fitzpatrick (C) (Hewitt)
O. M. Brown
I. D. Jones
R. M. Brooke
M. N. Jones
J. A. Kronfeld
Z. V. Brooke
J. W. Marshall
A. P. Mehrtens
J. T. Lomu
W. K. Little
F. E. Bunce
J. W. Wilson
C. M. Cullen

Wallabies
R. L. L. Harry
M. A. Foley
D. J. Crowley
G. J. Morgan
J. A. Eales (C)
O. D. A. Finegan
D. J. Wilson
M. C. Brial
S. J. Payne
S. Bowen
D. I. Campese
T. J. Horan
J. W. Roff
B. N. Tune
M. C. Burke
Gumboot

That was a wonderful game, Kiwias. Such a complete performance - one of my all time favourite ABs wins.
Dan54

Gumboot wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:16 pm That was a wonderful game, Kiwias. Such a complete performance - one of my all time favourite ABs wins.
Had the great pleasure of being at Athletic Park that day, on top of Millard stand right at front was like watching players on Chessboard below. Still sticks in my mind was try that Zinzan scored , him organising midfield as they waited until ball came out of ruck and the lines they all ran to put him in.
Froze my arse off but loved every minute of the game.
Kiwias

Dan54 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:06 am
Gumboot wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:16 pm That was a wonderful game, Kiwias. Such a complete performance - one of my all time favourite ABs wins.
Had the great pleasure of being at Athletic Park that day, on top of Millard stand right at front was like watching players on Chessboard below. Still sticks in my mind was try that Zinzan scored , him organising midfield as they waited until ball came out of ruck and the lines they all ran to put him in.
Australia did well to score two penalties. It was the ABs at their peak and reminded me of the 1st Test vs Wales in 1969 at Lancaster Park, again in pitiful conditions. The great ABs of the second half of the 1960s utterly dominated Wales, a team with some very fine players.
Dan54

Kiwias wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:57 am
Australia did well to score two penalties. It was the ABs at their peak and reminded me of the 1st Test vs Wales in 1969 at Lancaster Park, again in pitiful conditions. The great ABs of the second half of the 1960s utterly dominated Wales, a team with some very fine players.
Yep saw a few good performances at Athletic Park, was there when Trapper Loveridge put on what I still think was one of best halfback performances I have seen against Lions in 1983, and saw Bruce Robertson playing for Counties against Wellington put on a masterclass at 13 I have probably never seen bettered.
Trapper

Dan54 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:01 am
Kiwias wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:57 am

Yep saw a few good performances at Athletic Park, was there when Trapper Loveridge put on what I still think was one of best halfback performances I have seen against Lions in 1983, and saw Bruce Robertson playing for Counties against Wellington put on a masterclass at 13 I have probably never seen bettered.
Agreed, I don’t think I have ever seen a halfback produce a near perfect game as Trapper did that day. He was head and shoulders above every other player in that test, I can still hear him yelling at his forwards to drive, drive, drive! Geez that brings back memories. It was an absolute masterclass of halfback play in the worst of conditions iirc.
Enzedder

Poor comprehension skills evident - 2/3rds of top output does not equate to brilliant 2 times out of 3 (even though that is RMo so far in this series - but he was 2/3rds in the first game).
Jb1981

Enzedder wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:55 am

Poor comprehension skills evident - 2/3rds of top output does not equate to brilliant 2 times out of 3 (even though that is RMo so far in this series - but he was 2/3rds in the first game).
I’m creating my own reality - one where you are a massive Blackadder fan.

Just look at his wee face.

Enzedder

I just did a little spew into my mouth