46% of NZ pro players don't rate Ian Foster as All Black coach - Shock Poll

Where goats go to escape
Auckman

26% don't rate the assistants.
A poll of over 100 Super Rugby Aotearoa players have revealed 46 per cent believed New Zealand Rugby got the All Black coaching appointment wrong while another 26 per cent claimed they were “happy with Ian Foster but not the assistant coaches’’.

The pool was conducted by Country Sport Radio producer Sam Casey, who told the New Zealand Herald he had asked over 100 players 40 questions about the state of New Zealand rugby.

Casey revealed only 28 per cent were happy with the All Blacks coaching appointments.

Foster – Steve Hansen’s assistant-coach for eight years – got the head coach’s job in a contest with former All Blacks loose forward Scott Robertson, who led the Crusaders to three consecutive Super Rugby titles.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all ... ppointment
Auckman

Didn't know there were 46 players in the Crusaders setup. :wink:

It's clear Ian Foster is the David Clark of NZ Rugby.
Ata Rangi

That’s a shock, wouldn’t have predicted the 54% support.
CrazyIslander

I thought Fozzie brought the fun to the camp?
FujiKiwi

The whole Fozzie situation is such a lose/lose. If the ABs do terribly for the next two years, we will be rid of Foster. But who wants to pay that price?

On the other hand, if the ABs get anything like a pass mark in the short term, we’ll be heading for a 2023 RWC debacle and we’ll all know it’s coming.

That’s going to be torture.
stemoc

we can't blame Fozzie for the failure of the Chiefs, right now a man that coached Wales and the British Lions is failing as a coach for the Chiefs, the problem isn't the coaches but the team itself, if we bring 2xRWC winner, Hansen back from retirement to coach the chiefs next season, they will still finish at the bottom of the NZ conference.
Ymx

stemoc wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:39 am we can't blame Fozzie for the failure of the Chiefs, right now a man that coached Wales and the British Lions is failing as a coach for the Chiefs, the problem isn't the coaches but the team itself, if we bring 2xRWC winner, Hansen back from retirement to coach the chiefs next season, they will still finish at the bottom of the NZ conference.
That’s not true at all. Chiefs have plenty of quality players who can lift given the right strategy, training, and mindset.
Ymx

Ata Rangi wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:51 am That’s a shock, wouldn’t have predicted the 54% support.
Was also my first initial thought.

But then I considered the players might be nervous about anonymity, and selections.
stemoc

DMAC was shit last game and cruden and cane were non-existent..if their limited good players don't rise to the occasion, you can't expect them to perform ..Time for gatland to go crazy as he got nothing to lose a try a whole new combination of players..
Ymx

stemoc wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 am DMAC was shit last game and cruden and cane were non-existent..if their limited good players don't rise to the occasion, you can't expect them to perform ..Time for gatland to go crazy as he got nothing to lose a try a whole new combination of players..
Drop the AB captain?
FujiKiwi

stemoc wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:39 am we can't blame Fozzie for the failure of the Chiefs, right now a man that coached Wales and the British Lions is failing as a coach for the Chiefs, the problem isn't the coaches but the team itself, if we bring 2xRWC winner, Hansen back from retirement to coach the chiefs next season, they will still finish at the bottom of the NZ conference.
This is a nonsensical post. The Chiefs are two time Super rugby champions. They haven't always been bad.
Guy Smiley

It’s Comets.
stemoc

FujiKiwi wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:30 am
This is a nonsensical post. The Chiefs are two time Super rugby champions. They haven't always been bad.
they last won 7 years ago, oddly enough they won once foster left the chiefs and handed the reins to rennie and they didn't win any in the next 4 years rennie was incharge either.. they weren't bad 7 years ago, but they aren't good now either....something is not working and like the NZ warriors, lets not sacrifice the coach for the failure of the team as a whole.. the chiefs butchered as many as 5 tries last week, its very obvious that what they are lacking is a good attacking coach and/or players that can finish...
FujiKiwi

stemoc wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:41 am
FujiKiwi wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:30 am
they last won 7 years ago, oddly enough they won once foster left the chiefs and handed the reins to rennie and they didn't win any in the next 4 years rennie was incharge either.. they weren't bad 7 years ago, but they aren't good now either....something is not working and like the NZ warriors, lets not sacrifice the coach for the failure of the team as a whole.. the chiefs butchered as many as 5 tries last week, its very obvious that what they are lacking is a good attacking coach and/or players that can finish...
Well, that post is slightly clearer. I wasn't sure what you were getting at. So your argument is the team is crap and that the coach isn't to blame? I think a team with Nepo Laulala, Damien MacKenzie, Aaron Cruden, Sam Cane, Liam Boshier, Brad Weber, ALB etc. should be playing with more composure, if not setting the world alight. And the buck stops with the coach.

Apart from being a mediocre coach, Gatland is an insufferable cry baby. So there's that against him as well.
Ymx

I haven’t watched any, but have the post match interviews been moany according to this bored?
FujiKiwi

I just heard Angua Ta'avao interviewed at half time, and he slipped in a really passive aggressive suggestion that the reason the Chiefs were losing was because the Canes were lying all over the ball and the ref wasn't dealing with it.

He's an articulate chap, and he tried to dress it up with the old "but you've just got to adapt to the ref" afterwards, but it was pretty clear Gatland's moany ways are spreading insidiously through the Chiefs camp.

I heard from another poster Sam Cane was whiny in his after match interview too. I had had it on the telly but wasn't really paying attention to that one.
terangi48

Not surprised that players think that the Waikato is not the centre of the coaching universe at present..........
terangi48

Not surprised that players think that the Waikato is not the centre of the coaching universe at present..........based on current standing......
Aficionado

FujiKiwi wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:05 am I just heard Angua Ta'avao interviewed at half time, and he slipped in a really passive aggressive suggestion that the reason the Chiefs were losing was because the Canes were lying all over the ball and the ref wasn't dealing with it.

He's an articulate chap, and he tried to dress it up with the old "but you've just got to adapt to the ref" afterwards, but it was pretty clear Gatland's moany ways are spreading insidiously through the Chiefs camp.

I heard from another poster Sam Cane was whiny in his after match interview too. I had had it on the telly but wasn't really paying attention to that one.
Some irony if a Gatland team was bitching about ball flopping, Gatland and Schmidt for that matter have built careers on flop and seal..