The Official Cricket Thread

Where goats go to escape
Ovals

Woddy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:46 pm to Kiwias - I think most of us in England were outside enjoying the good weather yesterday, possibly playing cricket ourselves, rather than anywhere near a screen.

Could do with more cricket chat though on NPR. I think it's what got me in the habit of lurking on the old PR a LONG time ago; at the time, it was almost as good a commentary feed as cricinfo and the Guardian. We need more Old Fallopian, Karahi, Voltman and the many other (sensible) cricket aficionados.
PR has had some great cricket threads - the 2005 Ashes threads were epic. Hopefully we can build them up on here as well.
FujiKiwi

Woddy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:59 pm Apologies, from your Jap/Kiwi username I thought it was Kiwias's new one - my mistake! Are you based in Japan as well?

Hope other countries get back to playing test cricket too. Not as good as in front of crowds, obviously, but better than nothing.
Yeah. Another kiwi based in Japan. It'd be great to see other nations playing as well, although for now I might adopt the Windies as my team. I grew up watching the great battles between Aussie and the West Indies on the telly when the latter were an absolute force. Even during the Brian Lara years, they were never as good again.
And 1 guest

Archer gooooooone for breach of biosecure protocols. Silly boy
Oxbow

I wonder if that means Ollie Robinson will now get a game.
Un Pilier

Oxbow wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:07 am I wonder if that means Ollie Robinson will now get a game.
It’s clearly an option but I think they will go with Woakes and Curran.

Archer says he’s sorry. He bloody well should be :mad: :mad: :mad:
And 1 guest

Oxbow wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:07 am I wonder if that means Ollie Robinson will now get a game.
Broad, Woakes, Curran and Robinson in contention for three spots. They might want Curran to create some rough for Bess, and I expect Broad to play, so Woakes gets the last place due to his batting for me.
ScarfaceClaw

Un Pilier wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 am
It’s clearly an option but I think they will go with Woakes and Curran.

Archer says he’s sorry. He bloody well should be :mad: :mad: :mad:
Stupid bastard. What was he thinking.
And 1 guest

Makes for a pretty one-paced attack. Agnew reporting overcast conditions which would make selection of Curran more likely.
Woddy

isn't OT supposed to be a quick track, by English standards at least? If so, we'll somehow be playing on it without either of our established quick bowlers. Hope they don't instead play the seam attack that perhaps we should have had at the Rose Bowl.
handyman

Archer :thumbdown: :crazy:
Springboks, Stormers and WP supporter.
Un Pilier

Woddy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:17 am isn't OT supposed to be a quick track, by English standards at least? If so, we'll somehow be playing on it without either of our established quick bowlers. Hope they don't instead play the seam attack that perhaps we should have had at the Rose Bowl.
Yes it is. Wood is rested from the squad as is Jimmy Anderson. So it’s going to be Broad, Woakes and Curran unless they take a flier on the uncapped Robinson. They had shown faith in Archer which is why his apparent irresponsibility is particularly galling :mad:
JM2K6

Sounds like he detoured to visit his home. Glad they were strict with him.

He never seemed particularly unprofessional so here's hoping it's a one-off. Silly boy. Still, Stokes has come back from far worse!
Woddy

Un Pilier wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:23 am
Woddy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:17 am isn't OT supposed to be a quick track, by English standards at least? If so, we'll somehow be playing on it without either of our established quick bowlers. Hope they don't instead play the seam attack that perhaps we should have had at the Rose Bowl.
Yes it is. Wood is rested from the squad as is Jimmy Anderson. So it’s going to be Broad, Woakes and Curran unless they take a flier on the uncapped Robinson. They had shown faith in Archer which is why his apparent irresponsibility is particularly galling :mad:
It is, but that just compounds what seems like odd planning. Why not pick Wood and Archer for this track above all others? At least we might then have Wood and Robinson in tandem. We'll end up with our attacks the wrong way round between RB and OT.
Sandstorm

JM2K6 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:33 am Sounds like he detoured to visit his home. Glad they were strict with him.

He never seemed particularly unprofessional so here's hoping it's a one-off. Silly boy. Still, Stokes has come back from far worse!
Breaking Covid rules never stopped a govt advisor, no reason a cricketer should suffer long-term either.
And 1 guest

Start delayed by rain. Sky saying 90 minutes to mop up once the rain stops
Amethyst

So Archer shows scant respect for team protocol, etc. Not the kind of team-player you want in your side. :thumbdown:
JM2K6

Might not have been a home trip if the ECB is being so quiet:

Oxbow

Toss at 12, start at 12.30.
sturginho

Amethyst wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:10 am So Archer shows scant respect for team protocol, etc. Not the kind of team-player you want in your side. :thumbdown:
yes, let's all jump to conclusions :thumbup:
duke

Windies win toss and bowl, Ollie Robinson left out along with Denley.
And 1 guest

Root would have bowled first too. Horrid hour long first session to bat
Amethyst

I think Archer did this to aid the Windies quest for a series win. He is a Windie afterall.
Sandstorm

Anyone else see their Cricinfo Live Scores is on the Fritz?
And 1 guest

Not sure how Burns missed that. Poor from the quicks then the spinner nips one out just before lunch.
JM2K6

Burns gone to a straight one from the spinner. Awful, awful review. Start fining players who waste reviews on a whim :evil:
JM2K6

Also Sibley kinda annoys me. He's virtually strokeless at times but still has a huge weakness down leg. It's not a good combo.
sturginho

How does Chase get so many wickets? He seems like a fairly innocuous spinner but he has done for Crawley first ball :shock:
And 1 guest

sturginho wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:19 pm How does Chase get so many wickets? He seems like a fairly innocuous spinner but he has done for Crawley first ball :shock:
He gets more against England than he does against anyone else.
sturginho

And 1 guest wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:37 pm
sturginho wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:19 pm How does Chase get so many wickets? He seems like a fairly innocuous spinner but he has done for Crawley first ball :shock:
He gets more against England than he does against anyone else.
That can be said of many players :mrgreen:
And 1 guest

Dont think we'll see much reverse swing with a soft pitch and a green outfield. We might be seeing a fair bit of spin with the older ball.
And 1 guest

England run rate ensuring the fifth day crowd get their money's worth
Un Pilier

Woddy wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:35 am
Un Pilier wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:23 am
It is, but that just compounds what seems like odd planning. Why not pick Wood and Archer for this track above all others? At least we might then have Wood and Robinson in tandem. We'll end up with our attacks the wrong way round between RB and OT.
As it turns out, this isn’t a pitch for quicks anyway. In conditions like today / maybe tomorrow Woakes is often deadly and Curran can swing the ball pretty well.
Longshanks

I haven't watched any cricket a few years now, so this is not a stupid question. Is this Windies team the real deal?
It would be great to have them back at top table.
And 1 guest

Longshanks wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:33 pm I haven't watched any cricket a few years now, so this is not a stupid question. Is this Windies team the real deal?
They are good. No truly great players, bar Holder who is immense in all respects. Decent attack, and a batting lineup that will regularly make a par score.

The top table? India and Oz have the players and depth to set the standard, I believe everyone else is at a lower table, but Windies are no longer in a high chair in the corner.
Longshanks

And 1 guest wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:58 pm
Longshanks wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:33 pm I haven't watched any cricket a few years now, so this is not a stupid question. Is this Windies team the real deal?
They are good. No truly great players, bar Holder who is immense in all respects. Decent attack, and a batting lineup that will regularly make a par score.

The top table? India and Oz have the players and depth to set the standard, I believe everyone else is at a lower table, but Windies are no longer in a high chair in the corner.
Thank you for that. Im just so out of touch with the game. It's only because BBC had highlights I watched
Yes Holder looks really good.
Biffer

Longshanks wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:04 pm
And 1 guest wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:58 pm

Thank you for that. Im just so out of touch with the game. It's only because BBC had highlights I watched
Yes Holder looks really good.
They're a pretty young team as well for the most part, and there's apparently more talent coming through as well. So they'll be interesting to watch over the next few years.

I had tickets for the Edgbaston test and was really looking forward to seeing them.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Un Pilier

Pretty good day today for England supporters. It was never going to be hugely entertaining given the pitch and the loss of two early wickets. England ground it out to a good position though.
Ovals

Un Pilier wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:44 pm Pretty good day today for England supporters. It was never going to be hugely entertaining given the pitch and the loss of two early wickets. England ground it out to a good position though.
Excellent day for England and a really enthralling day of test cricket. If we can see off the new ball tomorrow, we might start to benefit from some tired WI's bowlers.

Epic defensive work from Sibley - was leaving the ball really well (unlike at the Ageas !!).
Un Pilier

Ovals wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:23 pm
Un Pilier wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:44 pm Pretty good day today for England supporters. It was never going to be hugely entertaining given the pitch and the loss of two early wickets. England ground it out to a good position though.
Excellent day for England and a really enthralling day of test cricket. If we can see off the new ball tomorrow, we might start to benefit from some tired WI's bowlers.

Epic defensive work from Sibley - was leaving the ball really well (unlike at the Ageas !!).
He was. Just the one aberration outside off stump which Holder proceeded to drop, fortunately for Sibley.
Sandstorm

"Archer likely to miss much more than just one Test" - Ashley Giles

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... hley-giles