The Official Scottish Rugby Thread

Where goats go to escape
Squidster

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You really think money is the reason he'd snub Scotland for England!!?

I am still fairly confident he won't switch, mainly due to being very close to tbe Scotland first team, at England he'd likely have to wait until after the next world cup.

As I think has veen mentioned on here, he's played right through our age grades and has a Scottish dad so no way he is leaving, Eddie is just going to be disappointed and, besides, he's fighting to save his job ffs!

England can have Rodd as he has, like Ashman with us, played age grade for England so it's only fair he gets picked by EJ. Just as its only fair WE cap Ashman due to his commitment to our age grades.

As i said, I'm fairy certain he will be picked by Gregor in June ;).

If not, then we look elsewhere, its not as if he is our only Hooker prospect :think:

Sorry if I sound harsh on you in my opening paragraph, I'm just passionate about Scotland, oh and I have a comedy like sense of humour :P.
robmatic

I like neeps wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:35 am
Squidster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:00 am Is anyone on this thread actually worried that Ewan will turn his back on us to go to England, knowing full well he will ruin his international career :think:

Anyway, even if he did, we have Adam McBurney next in line or SRU would go out and find another SQ hooker to sign for Edinburgh or Glasgow!

I'm sure Gregor is going to call Ewan up in a couple of months anyway and EJ will have missed out yet again. There is not a chance in hell the SRU or Gregor are losing out on this lad!
A 25 year old Ulster second/third choice isn't the most exciting signing ever. Ashman has loads more potential.

I'm concerned about it. The reality is England offer players the chance to play for one of the top international nations. We can snear at that but they've won the six nations regularly recently, won grand slams, world cup finalists, always compete in the under20s as their talent pipeline is ridiculous. Oh and 16k per week you're in the squad.

I don't buy the whole ruining careers either. Mercer (who was qualified on residency so when he signed for Bath was no longer SQ) is competing with Vunipola, Hughes, Simmons, Dombrandt, I think Earl and Curry play 8. It's just much harder to get in the England team. I'm sure Ashman as an athlete has the confidence and drive to think he could be the best hooker in England.

Also Mercer isn't picked because he doesn't fit the style Eddie plays and was swiftly dropped. England aren't the only team to do that, Rory Hutchinson might tell you so. And now Mercer is making bank in the south of France for a few years. I'm sure he's gutted.
England are certainly a bigger draw for an ambitious player who isn't particularly committed to any particular country, but Scotland are definitely more of an attractive option than they have been for a generation. Players in and around the squad have a realistic expectation that they can beat anyone in the northern hemisphere and will be competitive if they don't - it's not just a Wooden Spoon competition with Italy any more. I don't think it's coincidence or purely good scouting that more SQ players are finding their way over here to play pro rugby or are committing to the national team if they have the choice.
Big D

Squidster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:07 am
If not, then we look elsewhere, its not as if he is our only Hooker prospect :think:
To the level he is at already at that age he pretty much is our only prospect. Harrison is a couple of years behind in progression and Fraser is older and not close to Ashman. And with Harrison, Edinburgh hardly have a track record of front row academy graduates reaching their potential.

All other hookers, particularly those at the pro teams are 25+. Stewart got his cap in a goodie bag and Matthews is never an international so really the international level hookers are all 29+ very early into next season.
charltom

100 pages - as many as Biden! Only coronavirus and the English (with 113) have more...

It's great to see this community thriving on NPR. Long may the unswarmed times last.
Yr Alban

I’d like us to go for Rodd, purely based on the fact that we get pelters every RWC for the number of players not born in Scotland, so we should chase down every player who was!

As I said above, I doubt Ashman will switch at this point. He’s got a more than realistic chance of being first choice in a few years.

As for Mercer: although I’m sure the money will help, he will be fully aware that he could be a Test starter right now (given that 8 is a long term issue for us) and instead he’s a guy who got a couple of tour caps and may never get any more. Up to him of course, but I suspect he may regret his decision now and again. (It’s a fair point that Hutchinson may too, ofc)
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
KingBlairhorn

Yr Alban wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:02 am I’d like us to go for Rodd, purely based on the fact that we get pelters every RWC for the number of players not born in Scotland, so we should chase down every player who was!

As I said above, I doubt Ashman will switch at this point. He’s got a more than realistic chance of being first choice in a few years.

As for Mercer: although I’m sure the money will help, he will be fully aware that he could be a Test starter right now (given that 8 is a long term issue for us) and instead he’s a guy who got a couple of tour caps and may never get any more. Up to him of course, but I suspect he may regret his decision now and again. (It’s a fair point that Hutchinson may too, ofc)
At the risk of bringing the politics thread into this one (please, don't!), the door may not be entirely closed to Mercer. How's this for a scenario - 2021 landslide SNP election victory, 2022 independence poll with outcome a yes to independence, 2023 Scotland becomes independent, 2023/24 Mercer participates in Rugby 7s qualifying for Scotland and then the Paris Olympics, 2024 Mercer becomes full Scotland cap!

:lol: :crazy:
Big D

Yr Alban wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:02 am I’d like us to go for Rodd, purely based on the fact that we get pelters every RWC for the number of players not born in Scotland, so we should chase down every player who was!

Mercer is a bit of a special case though is he not? He was only eligible through residency?
I like neeps

Squidster wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:07 am :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You really think money is the reason he'd snub Scotland for England!!?

I am still fairly confident he won't switch, mainly due to being very close to tbe Scotland first team, at England he'd likely have to wait until after the next world cup.

As I think has veen mentioned on here, he's played right through our age grades and has a Scottish dad so no way he is leaving, Eddie is just going to be disappointed and, besides, he's fighting to save his job ffs!

England can have Rodd as he has, like Ashman with us, played age grade for England so it's only fair he gets picked by EJ. Just as its only fair WE cap Ashman due to his commitment to our age grades.

As i said, I'm fairy certain he will be picked by Gregor in June ;).

Sorry if I sound harsh on you in my opening paragraph, I'm just passionate about Scotland, oh and I have a comedy like sense of humour :P.
You don't think the opportunity at 21 to earn 50k over 4 weeks of camp isn't a huge pull? If you're in an England squad for an entire year you're paid over 200k. If you don't seriously think players consider the money side of it...

George is 30 now, LCD 27 and Dunn 28. England do need a young hooker.

I don't think you want to pull at the committment to age grades thread either. We'd not have Redpath, VdM, Maitland, Skinner or others if that's the judgement.

And we really don't have hookers coming through. We have an 18 year old at Edinburgh and McBurney who doesn't get in the Ulster team. And some guys playing A team rugby for Worcester/Newcastle.
I like neeps

Big D wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:18 am

Mercer is a bit of a special case though is he not? He was only eligible through residency?
Yep unless accumulated say 10 years of residency which I'm not even sure Mercer had counts.

To play for Scotland he'd have needed to think he wasn't good enough to play for England long term. He captained age grade sides and they ear marked him as a good prospect too.

Also he'd have needed to take an SRU academy deal over a contract at Bath.

He isn't the one who got away. He's an Englishman who wanted to play for England and was good enough to captain their under20s, get a deal at bath and ultimately get capped.
charltom

The various bits of chat about up and coming players got me thinking about one of my favourite topics... future Scotland RWC squads.

Taking current squad members and prospects, and working out how old everyone will be in September 2023, I reckon only Willem Nel will not make it to that RWC. So, assuming the oldest someone is likely to play in a RWC is 34 (just for the sake of argument) we'll have a first four XVs in 2023 that look a bit like this (with ages; sorry about formatting. Let me know if I've missed someone - I usually do - and some of the back three are swapped around):
1 Sutherland 31 Schoeman 29 Kebble 31 Dell 31
2 Turner 30 McInally 33 Brown 34 Cherry 32
3 Z.Fagerson 27 Berghan 32 McCallum 27 Rae 28
4 Cummings 26 Toolis 31 R.Gray 34 Davidson 26
5 J.Gray 29 Gilchrist 33 Craig 26 McKenzie 35
6 Ritchie 27 Skinner 28 Thomson 32 Bayliss 25
7 Watson 31 Crosbie 26 Boyle 23 Miller 27
8 M.Fagerson 25 Haining 33 Bradbury 28 G.Graham 31
9 Price 30 G.Horne 28 Steele 30 Dobie 22
10 Russell 30 Hastings 26 Weir 32 vdWalt 29
11 vdMerwe 28 D.Taylor 34 McGuigan 34 Hoyland 29
12 Redpath 23 Johnson 30 Lang 28 Scott 33
13 Harris 32 H.Jones 29 Hutchinson 27 Bennett 30
14 Maitland 34 D.Graham 26 L.Jones 35 Blain 23
15 Hogg 31 Kinghorn 26 Forbes 24 McLean 23

GT can definitely select a pretty strong squad from that.

Then in 2027, it's remarkable how many of the big boys are still around. Sadly that may be just beyond Hoggy's career at 35 (but my well not be), but you'd have all of these two XVs at the right sort of age, even ignoring any new players coming through. Still looks pretty decent, and by then experienced, to me:
AGE AT 2027 RWC (start)
1 Schoeman 33 Thornton 30
2 Ashman 27 Turner 34
3 Z.Fagerson 31 McCallum 31
4 Cummings 30 Davidson 30
5 J.Gray 33 Craig 30
6 Skinner 32 Bayliss 29
7 Ritchie 31 Crosbie 30
8 M.Fagerson 29 Bradbury 32
9 Dobie 26 G.Horne 32
10 Russell 34 Hastings 30
11 vdMerwe 32 McLean 27
12 Redpath 27 Johnson 34
13 H.Jones 33 Hutchinson 31
14 D.Graham 30 Blain 27
15 Forbes 28 Kinghorn 30
Biffer

Got to be honest, looking at

Schoeman Turner, Fagerson, J Gray, Cummings, Ritchie, Crosbie Fagerson
Horne, Hastings, VdM, Redpath, Hutchison, Graham, Kinghorn

as a XV, with anyone who comes through in the next SIX YEARS for the '27 world cup is quite a nice prospect.

Also, wouldn't be surprised in Nel plays on into his late 30s. He had 2 years when he was injured, so not as many miles on the clock, and the neck surgery he had is, I think the same as the one Jason Leonard had, who played until 36.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Yr Alban

KingBlairhorn wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:18 am

At the risk of bringing the politics thread into this one (please, don't!), the door may not be entirely closed to Mercer. How's this for a scenario - 2021 landslide SNP election victory, 2022 independence poll with outcome a yes to independence, 2023 Scotland becomes independent, 2023/24 Mercer participates in Rugby 7s qualifying for Scotland and then the Paris Olympics, 2024 Mercer becomes full Scotland cap!

Leaving aside the politics, would that even work if he has already been capped by England? (Even assuming he didn’t qualify solely by residence, which by the sound of things he did)
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
KingBlairhorn

Quite an interesting viewpoint in the squidge overview of the France game. He talks about the Russell (terrible) drop goal attempt, and his view is it's tactical with the actual conversion of it not really relevant. He absolutely spanks it dead so the result is a 22 dropout, which leads to Scotland regaining possession in the exact same position as they had it when the drop goal was attempted, but with Hogg's sin bin now expired.

sockwithaticket

Yr Alban wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:08 pm
KingBlairhorn wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:18 am

Leaving aside the politics, would that even work if he has already been capped by England? (Even assuming he didn’t qualify solely by residence, which by the sound of things he did)
Olympic 7s qualifiers are currently an eligiblity loophole. Steffon Armitage was looking at it a few years back so he could play for France and the Tongan head coach has made the news this week by talking about Folau, Feikitoa, Piutatu and a few others being tapped up to use that route to become available to the land of their birth/parents.
Biffer

KingBlairhorn wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:25 pm Quite an interesting viewpoint in the squidge overview of the France game. He talks about the Russell (terrible) drop goal attempt, and his view is it's tactical with the actual conversion of it not really relevant. He absolutely spanks it dead so the result is a 22 dropout, which leads to Scotland regaining possession in the exact same position as they had it when the drop goal was attempted, but with Hogg's sin bin now expired.

I didn't actually think that was much of a revelation. Heard plenty of comments about drop goals helping to run time down before now.
Jock42

KingBlairhorn wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:25 pm Quite an interesting viewpoint in the squidge overview of the France game. He talks about the Russell (terrible) drop goal attempt, and his view is it's tactical with the actual conversion of it not really relevant. He absolutely spanks it dead so the result is a 22 dropout, which leads to Scotland regaining possession in the exact same position as they had it when the drop goal was attempted, but with Hogg's sin bin now expired.

Video won't play for me but hadn't clocked that before. I've never really credited Scottish teams with being that astute.
Last edited by Jock42 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And 1 guest

Has Finn ever dropped a goal for Scotland?
KingBlairhorn

Biffer wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:34 pm
I didn't actually think that was much of a revelation. Heard plenty of comments about drop goals helping to run time down before now.
Not one I’d come across before. I am, I am sure, one of the many many people (including I think some on here) that were screaming at him to stop being a stupid prick when he did that. Sometimes it’s nice to be reminded that the coaches and players know more about the game than you and to consume a little humble pie!
JM2K6

KingBlairhorn wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:39 pm
Biffer wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:34 pm
Not one I’d come across before. I am, I am sure, one of the many many people (including I think some on here) that were screaming at him to stop being a stupid prick when he did that. Sometimes it’s nice to be reminded that the coaches and players know more about the game than you and to consume a little humble pie!
People massively overrate Squidge, partly because of his ability to make a narrative that fits the facts. There's every chance that Finn just fucked it up (it happens, people do that sort of thing) and Squidge is - as usual - reaching to make some sort of ~incredible 200IQ point~
Tichtheid

There is a guy in the U20s squad announced today, Alex Clayton. He went to Brighton College, which is just over the hill from where I sit now. His dad is Daley Thompson, his mum is from Dundee

He is in the Quins academy apparently

Also, Murray Redpath, brother of Cam, son of Basil
I like neeps

Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:32 pm There is a guy in the U20s squad announced today, Alex Clayton. He went to Brighton College, which is just over the hill from where I sit now. His dad is Daley Thompson, his mum is from Dundee

Very good chance in the under 20s this year we have 9 Redpath 10 Townsend.
Tichtheid

I like neeps wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:56 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:32 pm There is a guy in the U20s squad announced today, Alex Clayton. He went to Brighton College, which is just over the hill from where I sit now. His dad is Daley Thompson, his mum is from Dundee

Very good chance in the under 20s this year we have 9 Redpath 10 Townsend.

I had missed the fact the Toonie Jnr is in the squad.

That would be something if they played together.

There is a younger Toonie who was in a younger South age group with the son of a friend of mine, he's also very good.
westport

Redpath played 10 for much of the game last night for Bath, he had quite a quiet game.
Tichtheid

westport wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:56 am Redpath played 10 for much of the game last night for Bath, he had quite a quiet game.

I thought he looked better at centre, but I don’t think he put a foot wrong at fly half, without being a game breaker there.
westport

Tichtheid wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:55 am
westport wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:56 am Redpath played 10 for much of the game last night for Bath, he had quite a quiet game.

I thought he looked better at centre, but I don’t think he put a foot wrong at fly half, without being a game breaker there.
I agree, I thought the SH was more interested in finding the forwards, perhaps part of the game plan, to get through LI defence.
Yr Alban

I’ve just noticed that Bryan Redpath named his sons Cameron and Murray. Was this after his Scotland team-mate of the same name?
Slick

The Voice of Rugby showing he has his finger on the pulse as usual.

No way Mish should be in the Lions squad, doesn’t even mention Hogg, Finn, Gray, Ritchie as possible squad members
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Biffer

Massimo Cuttita, former Scotland scrum coach, has died at 54 after being hospitalised with Covid in Rome.
Caley_Red

Steve Tandy in line to be lions defence coach following withdrawal of Andy Farrell.

A Scottish attack and defence coach, may have interesting implications for selections . .
And on the 7th day, the Lord said "Let there be Finn Russell".
Jock42

Tandy looks like he's getting named in the Lions coaching team.

Harris NoL
Squidster

Was doing a bit of research regarding Scottish or Scottish Qualified players playing in England and came across a couple of names and in positions that we may need strength in, especially if we lose Ashman and Rodd to England.

Issac Miler: He is a 20yr old hooker at Worcester
Oli Cattell: Another youngster (not sure age or position, it could be Lock) from Bath.

Any ideas of these guys, potential to be internationals or am I over researching unnecessarily :-P?

Also, any good young prospects from the latest under 20 squad thats been announced? I see Oliver Melville and Elliot Gourlay are getting talked about positively by Scotland fans on Twitter; and funnily enough, both are born in England so we have poached them :).
robmatic

You'd think Alex Clayton should have inherited some decent athletic ability then! Looks bigger than his dad from the photos online of them together. What position does he play?
Big D

Jock42 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:17 am Tandy looks like he's getting named in the Lions coaching team.

Harris NoL
My bet is looking better and better. Although I wish I could cash out as he is down to 6/1.
Caley_Red

Big D wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 am
Jock42 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:17 am Tandy looks like he's getting named in the Lions coaching team.

Harris NoL
My bet is looking better and better. Although I wish I could cash out as he is down to 6/1.
What's your bet, D?
And on the 7th day, the Lord said "Let there be Finn Russell".
I like neeps

Squidster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:42 am Was doing a bit of research regarding Scottish or Scottish Qualified players playing in England and came across a couple of names and in positions that we may need strength in, especially if we lose Ashman and Rodd to England.

Oli Cattell: Another youngster (not sure age or position, it could be Lock) from Bath.

Any ideas of these guys, potential to be internationals or am I over researching unnecessarily :-P?

Also, any good young prospects from the latest under 20 squad thats been announced? I see Oliver Melville and Elliot Gourlay are getting talked about positively by Scotland fans on Twitter; and funnily enough, both are born in England so we have poached them :).
Isaac Miller is 26. Oli Cattell is indeed a lock.
Big D

Caley_Red wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 am
Big D wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:23 am

Harris NoL
What's your bet, D?
£10 @12/1 that he makes the Lions squad.
KingBlairhorn

Squidster wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:42 am Was doing a bit of research regarding Scottish or Scottish Qualified players playing in England and came across a couple of names and in positions that we may need strength in, especially if we lose Ashman and Rodd to England.

It's a group with a lot of promising players, but also one which does not have it's absolute top prospects available.

Absolute top prospects:
Dan Gamble - was selected with a view to be starting tighthead for U20 last year despite being a year underage but didn't play due to injury. His replacement in the tournament, Mak Wilson, went on to have an outstanding tournament and earned himself a move to quins on the back of his performances. If he is adjudged to be better than Wilson then he must be very good indeed. Not selected for this tournament due to commitments with Edinburgh in the (now possibly not happening) Rainbow Cup.

Ben Muncaster - big bugger of a Number 8 from North Berwick. Spent time in the English system with Leicester Tigers and is now pushing for a squad place at Edinburgh. Not selected for this tournament due to commitments with Edinburgh in the (now possibly not happening) Rainbow Cup.

Matt Currie - Another Edinburgh prospect, this time a centre. Has already made his debut for Edinburgh - fast and strong looking, he played for the 20s last year a year early. Not selected for this tournament due to commitments with Edinburgh in the (now possibly not happening) Rainbow Cup.

Harry Paterson - whisper it, maybe the next Paterson (no relation)! He's a fullback in the mold of Hogg with a monster boot and a lovely eye for a break. Would not surprise me to see him break into the Edinburgh squad as reserve fullback behind Kinghorn next season if his main challenger is Hoyland. Not selected for this tournament due to commitments with Edinburgh in the (now possibly not happening) Rainbow Cup.

Jamie Dobie - already pushing George Horne for first reserve at Glasgow in my opinion and may well debut for Scotland in the summer. Not selected for this tournament due to being too bloody good already.

Gregor Brown (no, not Graham Brown random Irish commentator for Premier sports) - Made his debut for Glasgow but was sadly badly injured early on. A lock or a flanker, he played 6 for the 20s last year. Very much the modern backrow who is also a strong lineout jumper (think Tadhg Beirne). Not selected for this tournament due to injury, but would almost certainly have been involved with Glasgow in the Rainbow Cup anyway.

Other prospects (that I have heard about)
Connor De Bruyn - Brought across from South Africa to much fanfare/controversy. Built like a brick shithouse, he honestly looks like he could be a hulking backrow, but is actually a centre. I've never seen him play but for the sheer novelty of having a massive centre who is actually good a rugby too, he could be one to watch.

Patrick Harrison - Young for the group but huge potential. He has already made his Edinburgh debut and looked comfortable. Very well developed physically for his age (18, I think)

Alex Samuel - I think he may have made a squad for Glasgow already, not sure, but very highly rated. Already trained with Scotland. I've never seen him but understand he is huge.
KingBlairhorn

Biffer wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:55 pm Massimo Cuttita, former Scotland scrum coach, has died at 54 after being hospitalised with Covid in Rome.
Sad news. I hope the likes of Sean Maitland have a moment of quiet reflection about their own actions during this pandemic.
charltom

charltom wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:28 pm The various bits of chat about up and coming players got me thinking about one of my favourite topics... future Scotland RWC squads.

Taking current squad members and prospects, and working out how old everyone will be in September 2023, I reckon only Willem Nel will not make it to that RWC. So, assuming the oldest someone is likely to play in a RWC is 34 (just for the sake of argument) we'll have a first four XVs in 2023 that look a bit like this (with ages; sorry about formatting. Let me know if I've missed someone - I usually do - and some of the back three are swapped around):
1 Sutherland 31 Schoeman 29 Kebble 31 Dell 31
2 Turner 30 McInally 33 Brown 34 Cherry 32
3 Z.Fagerson 27 Berghan 32 McCallum 27 Rae 28
4 Cummings 26 Toolis 31 R.Gray 34 Davidson 26
5 J.Gray 29 Gilchrist 33 Craig 26 McKenzie 35
6 Ritchie 27 Skinner 28 Thomson 32 Bayliss 25
7 Watson 31 Crosbie 26 Boyle 23 Miller 27
8 M.Fagerson 25 Haining 33 Bradbury 28 G.Graham 31
9 Price 30 G.Horne 28 Steele 30 Dobie 22
10 Russell 30 Hastings 26 Weir 32 vdWalt 29
11 vdMerwe 28 D.Taylor 34 McGuigan 34 Hoyland 29
12 Redpath 23 Johnson 30 Lang 28 Scott 33
13 Harris 32 H.Jones 29 Hutchinson 27 Bennett 30
14 Maitland 34 D.Graham 26 L.Jones 35 Blain 23
15 Hogg 31 Kinghorn 26 Forbes 24 McLean 23

GT can definitely select a pretty strong squad from that.

Then in 2027, it's remarkable how many of the big boys are still around. Sadly that may be just beyond Hoggy's career at 35 (but my well not be), but you'd have all of these two XVs at the right sort of age, even ignoring any new players coming through. Still looks pretty decent, and by then experienced, to me:
AGE AT 2027 RWC (start)
1 Schoeman 33 Thornton 30
2 Ashman 27 Turner 34
3 Z.Fagerson 31 McCallum 31
4 Cummings 30 Davidson 30
5 J.Gray 33 Craig 30
6 Skinner 32 Bayliss 29
7 Ritchie 31 Crosbie 30
8 M.Fagerson 29 Bradbury 32
9 Dobie 26 G.Horne 32
10 Russell 34 Hastings 30
11 vdMerwe 32 McLean 27
12 Redpath 27 Johnson 34
13 H.Jones 33 Hutchinson 31
14 D.Graham 30 Blain 27
15 Forbes 28 Kinghorn 30
Looks like Kevin found this food for thought (or was thinking about it at the same time) and is working his way through a much better version, starting here: https://www.scottishrugbyblog.co.uk/202 ... yUD4ncdG_c
I like neeps

KingBlairhorn wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:40 am
Other prospects (that I have heard about)
Connor De Bruyn - Brought across from South Africa to much fanfare/controversy. Built like a brick shithouse, he honestly looks like he could be a hulking backrow, but is actually a centre. I've never seen him play but for the sheer novelty of having a massive centre who is actually good a rugby too, he could be one to watch.

Patrick Harrison - Young for the group but huge potential. He has already made his Edinburgh debut and looked comfortable. Very well developed physically for his age (18, I think)

Alex Samuel - I think he may have made a squad for Glasgow already, not sure, but very highly rated. Already trained with Scotland. I've never seen him but understand he is huge.
Interesting you say that as De Bruyne did play 8 in SA before converting to 13. He was actually in the same SA under 18s team as Jordan Venter now as Edinburgh.

I remember watching a bit of the under18s a few years back and Samuel was 6'8 at 16. He's a monster.