The Official NPR Golf Thread

Where goats go to escape
Northern Lights

Openside wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:22 pm
Northern Lights wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:02 pm
Openside wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:02 pm

so you are playing in a jacket and tie to maintain standards?? :problem:
Jacket and tie for dining.

Not a huge fan of shorts either if truth be told unless in the colonies.
with your legs thats hardly a surprise :wink: :lol:
We need another game!
Openside

Woddy wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:47 pm
Openside wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:23 pm
dpedin wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Hoodies should not be allowed but requiring long socks with shorts is another matter .....
I can only think of three courses that demand it.
RSG, Deal and ??? Even the stuffiest of the 3 Ws allows short white socks now...
I was instrumental in getting short socks allowed in the last of the 3W's

NL Definitely the Sassenachs need another drubbing...
Northern Lights

Openside wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:20 am

RSG, Deal and ??? Even the stuffiest of the 3 Ws allows short white socks now...

:thumbup:
dpedin

Luffness, the poor mans Muirfiled, requires long socks!
Woddy

dpedin wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:28 am

Luffness, the poor mans Muirfiled, requires long socks!
Love Luffness!
Gareth1960

Bring it on !!

Huntercombe insists on Long Socks

Is there a Bulldog Memorial trophy for the Masters ?
Openside

Gareth1960 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:08 pm NL Definitely the Sassenachs need another drubbing...

Bring it on !!

That was the other one I was thinking of.
Northern Lights

Gareth1960 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:08 pm NL Definitely the Sassenachs need another drubbing...

Bring it on !!

Henry was heading Stateside last i heard from him that was a while ago at the start of the Covid carry on, you might need to rope in another 2 foot bottler for your team Gareth...
Openside

Northern Lights wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:48 pm

Bring it on !!

Henry was heading Stateside last i heard from him that was a while ago at the start of the Covid carry on, you might need to rope in another 2 foot bottler for your team Gareth...
:lolno: :lolno: :lolno: :lolno: Poor Henry, it's like the 'you shag one goat analogy!!'
Ymx

Golf Is closed again. Even 2 balls out in the wide open space.

But it’s fine if you want to go to a enclosed church session with dozens of people apparently.
Monkey Magic

Feels bad given the post above, but really excited got 3 rounds at 3 different courses this week.

Hoping to break 100 for first time, last round was pre Christmas and got to 102
Ymx

Monkey Magic wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:15 am Feels bad given the post above, but really excited got 3 rounds at 3 different courses this week.

Don’t be. You’re lucky, well apart from the 100 bit.
Paddington Bear

Ymx wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:02 am Golf Is closed again. Even 2 balls out in the wide open space.

But it’s fine if you want to go to a enclosed church session with dozens of people apparently.
This means that like with past lockdowns I'll be spending weekends chasing people practicing chipping off the cricket club. Cries of 'I don't net on your greens' as they huff off.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
dpedin

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:41 am
Ymx wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:02 am Golf Is closed again. Even 2 balls out in the wide open space.

This means that like with past lockdowns I'll be spending weekends chasing people practicing chipping off the cricket club. Cries of 'I don't net on your greens' as they huff off.
Email from my club here in Embra says course is open and we are ok with 2 balls. We will be back to 9 holes only in order to allow as many folk playing as possible. However a moot point at the moment as its under snow and ice and will be waterlogged when/if the thaw comes.
Monkey Magic

Ymx wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:27 am
Monkey Magic wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:15 am Feels bad given the post above, but really excited got 3 rounds at 3 different courses this week.

Don’t be. You’re lucky, well apart from the 100 bit.
Fun fact, seems I have forgotten how to play golf- one more round tomorrow on the hardest course, surely that will be the one that gets me under 100...
Biffer

Bob McIntyre knocks Johnson out of the WGC matchplay. Nice one laddie.

Sponsors will be spitting - only one of the top 20 seeds in the last 16 😂😂
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
fishfoodie

Biffer wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:07 pm Bob McIntyre knocks Johnson out of the WGC matchplay. Nice one laddie.

I know it gets said every year .... but I wish the PGA played more matchplay.
dpedin

fishfoodie wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:07 pm
Biffer wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:07 pm Bob McIntyre knocks Johnson out of the WGC matchplay. Nice one laddie.

I know it gets said every year .... but I wish the PGA played more matchplay.
Just finished 18 holes at my course here in Embra. Tee'ed off in nice but chilly sunny day and ended up coming off 18th in a feckin snow storm and 4 degree temps. Spring golf at its best! Someone told me that we are more likely to have snow on Easter Sunday than on Xmas Day - I believe them now!
Slick

dpedin, thinking about getting into a bit of golf - played a bit when a lot younger and a couple of times a year since, am crap but could be a lot better I think - live in New Town. Where would you recommend to join or have a few lessons and rounds?
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Slick

double
Blackmac

Slick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:03 pm dpedin, thinking about getting into a bit of golf - played a bit when a lot younger and a couple of times a year since, am crap but could be a lot better I think - live in New Town. Where would you recommend to join or have a few lessons and rounds?
Get an Edinburgh Leisure Golf pass mate. Worth is for the Braids alone. Also lots of lesson options up at Braid Hills. Alternatively Kings Acre does a Silver membership where you pay £120 a year membership and then £12 a round. Great if you dont know how much you are going to be playing.
Slick

Blackmac wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:40 pm
Slick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:03 pm dpedin, thinking about getting into a bit of golf - played a bit when a lot younger and a couple of times a year since, am crap but could be a lot better I think - live in New Town. Where would you recommend to join or have a few lessons and rounds?
Get an Edinburgh Leisure Golf pass mate. Worth is for the Braids alone. Also lots of lesson options up at Braid Hills. Alternatively Kings Acre does a Silver membership where you pay £120 a year membership and then £12 a round. Great if you dont know how much you are going to be playing.
Thanks mate, had never heard of that, looks great.
Caley_Red

Agree with the above, Braids is a top course for a public city course though I'd take plenty balls if you're rusty, Slick.
And on the 7th day, the Lord said "Let there be Finn Russell".
Caley_Red

Agree with the above, Braids is a top course for a public city course though I'd take plenty balls if you're rusty, Slick.
And on the 7th day, the Lord said "Let there be Finn Russell".
dpedin

Have some lessons first! Lots of good pros around - Iain Lowdean at my club Baberton is highly recommended - you don't need to be a member to get some lessons.

As others have said the Edinburgh Leisure Golf Pass is great value and gets you onto all their courses although Braids is tough for a high handicapper.

Joining a club is going to be difficult at the moment as lots of new members due to lock downs and travel restrictions. Mine is currently closed to new members and has a waiting list. The course is also very busy but should quieten down as lock down eases. I think most of the others in Edinburgh are the same.

Try using the apps to get some good deals for rounds - I use Golfnow - you can pick up some cheap rounds and most of the clubs are delighted to see you when you play there. There are lots of clubs around Edinburgh and there are some great friendly little courses that are worth a day out.

Longer term membership is a big investment and it all depends what you want and folk will have different opinions. Most reasonable courses are around £800+ per year for full membership plus some still have a joining fee. Closest to New Town are the likes of Bruntsfield and Royal Burgess - both are nice courses but expensive c£1,200 pa and a bit snooty in the clubhouse. Last time I played Bruntsfield they wouldn't allow me to play in shorts without long socks, not sure if they have relaxed since then! Murrayfield is a bit cheaper but I have never really liked the course TBH. Turnhouse is a good track and not too far away and a friendly clubhouse with a good mix of members. After that you are into the likes of Craigmillar, Duddingston, Mortonhall, Prestonfield, Kingsknowe, etc which are all ok. Kings Acre is a good suggestion, a bit further out, but would try it out for a few rounds first, I am not sure what access to tee times is like? Personally I would spend the summer trying them all out and finding which course and clubhouse you like best and can travel to easily, you will probably struggle to spend the equivalent of the membership fee for the year. If you want a round at Baberton then give me a shout - we have just allowed guests back to play.
Slick

dpedin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:45 am Have some lessons first! Lots of good pros around - Iain Lowdean at my club Baberton is highly recommended - you don't need to be a member to get some lessons.

As others have said the Edinburgh Leisure Golf Pass is great value and gets you onto all their courses although Braids is tough for a high handicapper.

Joining a club is going to be difficult at the moment as lots of new members due to lock downs and travel restrictions. Mine is currently closed to new members and has a waiting list. The course is also very busy but should quieten down as lock down eases. I think most of the others in Edinburgh are the same.

Try using the apps to get some good deals for rounds - I use Golfnow - you can pick up some cheap rounds and most of the clubs are delighted to see you when you play there. There are lots of clubs around Edinburgh and there are some great friendly little courses that are worth a day out.

Longer term membership is a big investment and it all depends what you want and folk will have different opinions. Most reasonable courses are around £800+ per year for full membership plus some still have a joining fee. Closest to New Town are the likes of Bruntsfield and Royal Burgess - both are nice courses but expensive c£1,200 pa and a bit snooty in the clubhouse. Last time I played Bruntsfield they wouldn't allow me to play in shorts without long socks, not sure if they have relaxed since then! Murrayfield is a bit cheaper but I have never really liked the course TBH. Turnhouse is a good track and not too far away and a friendly clubhouse with a good mix of members. After that you are into the likes of Craigmillar, Duddingston, Mortonhall, Prestonfield, Kingsknowe, etc which are all ok. Kings Acre is a good suggestion, a bit further out, but would try it out for a few rounds first, I am not sure what access to tee times is like? Personally I would spend the summer trying them all out and finding which course and clubhouse you like best and can travel to easily, you will probably struggle to spend the equivalent of the membership fee for the year. If you want a round at Baberton then give me a shout - we have just allowed guests back to play.
Thanks mate, that's brilliant, really appreciated.

I'd love to take you up on the offer of a round, very kind, but I'll certainly be needing a few lessons before that happens!
dkm57

Haven't played for a couple of years (poor helth) but my clubs are calling to me again. Once the local range is open again I'll see if it's worth trying again or just selling my gear.
Biffer

Thoughts on the Ryder Cup team?

I think Garcia and Lowry are guaranteed Captains picks if they don’t make an automatic place, so that’ll leave a lot of guys chasing the last places.

I think Rahm, McIlroy and Fleetwood will stroll into a place. Then there are a lot of guys you hope make an automatic spot or they might be left out. Rose, Westwood, Stenson, Poulter, etc etc.

Goin g to be interesting with a few younger guys pushing hard as well, like Hovland and McIntyre
Openside

Biffer wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:00 pm Thoughts on the Ryder Cup team?

I think Garcia and Lowry are guaranteed Captains picks if they don’t make an automatic place, so that’ll leave a lot of guys chasing the last places.

I think Rahm, McIlroy and Fleetwood will stroll into a place. Then there are a lot of guys you hope make an automatic spot or they might be left out. Rose, Westwood, Stenson, Poulter, etc etc.

Goin g to be interesting with a few younger guys pushing hard as well, like Hovland and McIntyre
tbh unless his irishness gets the better of him Westwood is a better bet than Lowry
fishfoodie

Openside wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:02 pm

tbh unless his irishness gets the better of him Westwood is a better bet than Lowry
away & shite !

Westwood isn't within an asses roar of sufficient form of a pick. He's showed over the last few weeks that he's marking time till the Seniors tour.
Blackmac

fishfoodie wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:53 pm

away & shite !

Westwood isn't within an asses roar of sufficient form of a pick. He's showed over the last few weeks that he's marking time till the Seniors tour.
Is this currently 5th in the automatic rankings, Europe money winner Lee Westwood, who came within a gnats cock of the Players and the previous tournament, or another Westwood.
If we were discounting players on current form the Rory can be at the top of that list.
To be fair to Lee he has indicated that he no longer has the fitness for 5 rounds in 3 days so could be a bit of a handicap.
Biffer

I think the Irish Open winner will absolutely come into Harrington thinking, given that's what he was.
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:29 am

I think the Irish Open winner will absolutely come into Harrington thinking, given that's what he was.
I can't see how Lowry is getting anywhere near that team. He is a journeyman extraordinaire with two unlikely big wins. He spends more time missing cuts than he does challenging for tournaments and has only has one top 10 since his Open win.
Biffer

Blackmac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:39 am

I can't see how Lowry is getting anywhere near that team. He is a journeyman extraordinaire with two unlikely big wins. He spends more time missing cuts than he does challenging for tournaments and has only has one top 10 since his Open win.
That sounds similar to how some people used to describe Harrington (unfairly). He was picked for 2010 when he was out of form, having won the open in 09 and played reasonably well.
Ymx

First game of the season yesterday. I seized up by end of round. Achilles. Shoulders, you name it.

Hit 25, so not great, but driving/putting was surprisingly ok. Approaches were terrible.

Perhaps I won’t carry my bag next time.

Not looking forward to double round next Friday. Buggy in afternoon I’m thinking.

Anyone else suffered from lockdown fitness?
Blackmac

Biffer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:49 am

That sounds similar to how some people used to describe Harrington (unfairly). He was picked for 2010 when he was out of form, having won the open in 09 and played reasonably well.
I don't think that's fair. Harrington couldn't win a tournament but challenged week in week out. I think at one time, and he maybe still holds it, he had the record for most second place finishes without a win. He was a consistent top performer for years when he won his majors and that is just not the case with Lowry.
Blackmac

Ymx wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:57 am First game of the season yesterday. I seized up by end of round. Achilles. Shoulders, you name it.

Hit 25, so not great, but driving/putting was surprisingly ok. Approaches were terrible.

Perhaps I won’t carry my bag next time.

Not looking forward to double round next Friday. Buggy in afternoon I’m thinking.

Anyone else suffered from lockdown fitness?
It's astonishing how tiring golf can be if you are not playing a lot, no matter how fit you might be otherwise.
Biffer

Blackmac wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:37 am
Biffer wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:49 am

I don't think that's fair. Harrington couldn't win a tournament but challenged week in week out. I think at one time, and he maybe still holds it, he had the record for most second place finishes without a win. He was a consistent top performer for years when he won his majors and that is just not the case with Lowry.
I did say it was unfair.
fishfoodie

Whisper it ... Rory has actually found some putting form ! :shock:
Blackmac

Watching the Walker Cup i'm struggling to see the hype around Seminole. It looks a really flat, boring course made spectactularly hard by the outrageous green complexes. It's no fun watching these lads hitting the middle of greens and rolling into bunkers and also chipping and putting off greens right left and centre.