6 nations 2021 Scrum down in the lockdown

Where goats go to escape
laurent

Is this the official thread

You decide.

The French Riviera bubble team is as follow

Sébastien Bézy replaces baptiste Couilloud (rib injury)

Italy

Les rosbeefs

Ireland

Scotland seem not to have a Graphic designer

Backs: Darcy Graham, Chris Harris, Stuart Hogg (Captain),
Huw Jones, Blair Kinghorn, James Lang Sean Maitland,
Byron McGuigan, Ali Price, Cameron Redpath*, Finn Russell,
Scott Steele, Duncan Taylor, Jaco van der Walt,
Duhan van der Merwe

Forwards: Ewan Ashman*, Simon Berghan, David Cherry*,
Alex Craig*, Scott Cummings, Allan Dell, Matt Fagerson,
Zander Fagerson, Gary Graham, Grant Gilchrist, Jonny Gray, Richie Gray, Oli Kebble, Willem Nel, Jamie Ritchie, Grant Stewart, Rory Sutherland, Blade Thomson, George Turner, Hamish Watson

*denotes uncapped player

ROUND 1
Saturday 6th February 2021

Italy v France Stadio Olimpico, Rome Kick-off: 2:15pm

England v Scotland Twickenham Stadium, London Kick-off: 4:45pm

Sunday 7th February 2021

Wales v Ireland Principality Stadium, Cardiff Kick-off: 3:00pm

Name change Credit to Mahoney
Last edited by laurent on Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 8 times in total.
sturginho

Italy team:

ASMO

Oh god, ITV broadcasting the England game, shit commentary interspersed with as many adverts as they can get away with, would not suprise me if they tried to get one in before every scrum reset or during an injury break.
tc27

ASMO wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:17 am Oh god, ITV broadcasting the England game, shit commentary interspersed with as many adverts as they can get away with, would not suprise me if they tried to get one in before every scrum reset or during an injury break.

Could get one in waiting for Youngs to get the ball away too.
Sandstorm

ASMO wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:17 am Oh god, ITV broadcasting the England game, shit commentary interspersed with as many adverts as they can get away with, would not surprise me if they tried to get one in before every scrum reset or during an injury break.
Email them to suggest they put the adverts in a scrolling banner that runs continuously along the bottom of the screen.
assfly

Perhaps they could offer sponsorship slots for certain stoppages in play.

"This knock-on is brought to you by Asda"
Sandstorm

assfly wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:31 am Perhaps they could offer sponsorship slots for certain stoppages in play.

"This red card is brought to you by Meadowview Funeral Homes.......come to us for the next part of your journey"
sturginho

This HIA is brought to you by Claims Direct
sockwithaticket

The way ITV's main presenter says "cash" as they endlessly promote the fuck out of a £30k give away, that feels fairly gauche anyway, irritates me excessively.

I'd rather listen to Lord Bald smugly condescend to everyone.
assfly

Try or no try?

YOU DECIDE!

Text 1 for try, 2 for no try, or 3 for a penalty try and yellow card.
sockwithaticket

England squad

Joe Launchbury and Sam Underhill have pulled out with injury since the squad was announced, replaced by Charlie Ewels and Jack Willis respectively.

Joe Marler has opted not to spend two months away from his family (3 young kids and another on the way, so fair enough) and has been replaced by Tom West
Hal Jordan

This spidercam view of the scrum brought to you by Specsavers, because we wouldn't want you to see how the fucking backs are lined up or anything, would we?
Paddington Bear

Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:46 am This spidercam view of the scrum brought to you by Specsavers, because we wouldn't want you to see how the fucking backs are lined up or anything, would we?
Why would you remind us of the spider cam. Which side is going forwards? No one knows.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Hal Jordan

Paddington Bear wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:25 pm
Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:46 am This spidercam view of the scrum brought to you by Specsavers, because we wouldn't want you to see how the fucking backs are lined up or anything, would we?
Why would you remind us of the spider cam. Which side is going forwards? No one knows.
I like it as an analysis tool, you can see who is pushing where, but for live action it's garbage.

The NFL coverage is the gold standard in terms of camerawork, that's what they should be aiming at. Obviously the downs system aids lining things up but you always know what's going on and the replays are sensational.
ASMO

Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:16 pm
I like it as an analysis tool, you can see who is pushing where, but for live action it's garbage.

The NFL coverage is the gold standard in terms of camerawork, that's what they should be aiming at. Obviously the downs system aids lining things up but you always know what's going on and the replays are sensational.
Apples and pears, NFL doesnt have a play that lasts more than 5 seconds then they stop for a refreshment break, change half the team, revisit the playbook, get their hair done, shop on Amazon, all review the play they just completed to work out what went wrong/right.
Marylandolorian

^
You forgot the oxygen shot after each play, wondering if we ever see that in rugby.
Paddington Bear

ASMO wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:22 pm
Hal Jordan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:16 pm

Apples and pears, NFL doesnt have a play that lasts more than 5 seconds then they stop for a refreshment break, change half the team, revisit the playbook, get their hair done, shop on Amazon, all review the play they just completed to work out what went wrong/right.
Tbh I think the bigger issue is that rugby is a moderately popular eurosport and the NFL is the national sport of the world's largest economy. Rugby would have amazing production values if the situation was reversed.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
ScarfaceClaw

assfly wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:31 am Perhaps they could offer sponsorship slots for certain stoppages in play.

Another quality Tesco Drop Goal gives England another three points. Every little helps.
Hal Jordan

Marylandolorian wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:11 pm ^
You forgot the oxygen shot after each play, wondering if we ever see that in rugby.
Living with Lions, Austin Healey getting oxygen, although fair enough that was after being subbed and having an asthma attack.
Mahoney

Scrum down in the lock down, shirley?
Wha daur meddle wi' me?
laurent

Sounds good
Sandstorm

Mahoney wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:48 pm Scrum down in the lock down, shirley?
He's French - close enough.
laurent

Sandstorm wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 pm

Sandstorm

laurent wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:27 pm
Sandstorm wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 pm

Dankie Boet
Lobby

sockwithaticket

Is it me or has the build up been really quiet this year?
Raggs

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:41 am Is it me or has the build up been really quiet this year?
There was a stadium roof story. I've not seen a "Prop cheats in scrum" story yet. Waiting for the "Eddie Jones met up with ref before the game (in perfectly normal pre-game meetup)" faux outrage story too.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
sockwithaticket

Raggs wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:43 am
sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:41 am Is it me or has the build up been really quiet this year?
There was a stadium roof story. I've not seen a "Prop cheats in scrum" story yet. Waiting for the "Eddie Jones met up with ref before the game (in perfectly normal pre-game meetup)" faux outrage story too.
Thank fuck for that.

I popped onto the Beeb site and kinda wish I hadn't. Apparently Jamie George has said we (England) want to take teams apart. That sort of talk coming out of the camp usually seems to result in a limp performance.
Paddington Bear

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:51 am
Thank fuck for that.

I popped onto the Beeb site and kinda wish I hadn't. Apparently Jamie George has said we (England) want to take teams apart. That sort of talk coming out of the camp usually seems to result in a limp performance.
Struck me as him being quoted slightly out of context. Seemed to be saying more that we're looking to raise our attacking game to the standards set in defence.
Slick

Paddington Bear wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:17 pm

Thank fuck for that.

Struck me as him being quoted slightly out of context. Seemed to be saying more that we're looking to raise our attacking game to the standards set in defence.
Same as Rory Sutherland yesterday really. "We want to dominate the scrum" became "we want to kill the English and eat their children" type thing
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
sockwithaticket

Paddington Bear wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:17 pm

Thank fuck for that.

We are up there with the best in the world, but we want to able to take teams apart with our attack.
I have no problem with the comment per se, it's laudable to have that ambition and I want to see England making better use of the excellent players at our disposal , but it feels like publicly stating this kind of thing has resulted in the opposite being manifested on the pitch before. Not backing it up or trying to live up to it hampering performance is the issue.
JM2K6

Lots of "will this actually go ahead?", no fans involved, England coaches self isolating so probably a little less noise than normal, a general feeling of how-much-does-this-matter-really, etc
laurent

Real quiet but then I don't expect the French coaching team mouthing off Italy or the Italians to start braying.

the missing U 20 and ladies clashes are mighty annoying.
sockwithaticket

JM2K6 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:45 pm
Lots of "will this actually go ahead?", no fans involved, England coaches self isolating so probably a little less noise than normal, a general feeling of how-much-does-this-matter-really, etc
I suppose and the bulk of the 6 Nations regular audience is casual fans, those of us with a proclivity for hanging out on internet forums are probably anticipating a lot more as more than just a lockdown distraction.
Lobby

There was a good interview with Stuart Hogg in the Grauniad which is mainly about his time at Exeter, but was rather misleadingly headlined to suggest Scotland are going to win the 6N.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... ugby-union
Slick

Lobby wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:23 pm There was a good interview with Stuart Hogg in the Grauniad which is mainly about his time at Exeter, but was rather misleadingly headlined to suggest Scotland are going to win the 6N.

A happy Hogg is good for us. I have a feeling he is going to have a good tournament.
Begbie

Lobby wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:23 pm There was a good interview with Stuart Hogg in the Grauniad which is mainly about his time at Exeter, but was rather misleadingly headlined to suggest Scotland are going to win the 6N.

aRrOgAnT sCoTs tHiNk tHeY cAn wIn tHe 6 nAtIoNs
So I squares up, casual like.
Paddington Bear

As it happens I think this could be quite an open tournament - home advantage won't be what it normally is.
Providing the rugby is less turgid than the ANC (I suspect it will be) it should be the first proper entertainment since Christmas.
Slick

Paddington Bear wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:31 pm As it happens I think this could be quite an open tournament - home advantage won't be what it normally is.
Providing the rugby is less turgid than the ANC (I suspect it will be) it should be the first proper entertainment since Christmas.
The COVID Mocker Gods want a word
Yr Alban

Slick wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:05 pm

A happy Hogg is good for us. I have a feeling he is going to have a good tournament.
Guaranteed to get a bad injury 15 minutes into Saturday’s game now.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.