The Official Cricket Thread

Where goats go to escape
Paddington Bear

Seems like a good time to start with a Test less than a week away.

To kick off with - the continued ban on recreational cricket in England. Boris attempted to explain why today - citing teas and changing rooms. Seemingly somewhere between every club and league in the country pointing out that they are willing and able to work around the issue and the government there has been a miscommunication.

Fwiw I have been hearing for a while from people who work in the sport and are not bullshitters that the game returning has been imminent twice before the government backed off. Not quite sure what's going on.

So rather than play tomorrow, I'm off to the pub. Covid controlled, well done everyone.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/new ... rooms.html
Recreational cricket has not yet been given the go-ahead for a return because of issues other than the ball, prime minister Boris Johnson has said.

The ECB has been involved in close dialogue with government over recent weeks, with attempts made to lay the foundations for the sport's return among its amateur ranks amid increasing frustration.

The game’s national governing body was taken by surprise when Johnson responded to a question in the House of Commons on June 23 by describing the cricket ball as “a vector of disease”, on the same day that he announced the reopening of bars, restaurants, outdoor gyms and cinemas on July 4.

On Friday, speaking to LBC Radio’s Nick Ferrari, he expanded on his initial comments. When asked why tennis could now be played but cricket could not, given that both use balls, Johnson said: “It’s a valid point. There are reasons. These debates have gone round and round.

“There are various other considerations. The longer answer, which I think probably Chris Whitty would give if he were here about cricket, the risk is not so much the ball, although that may be a factor.

“It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis.”

In the ECB's guidance sent to clubs, it specifically states that Step 4 on its roadmap for a return to normality would include “no use of changing rooms - arrive ready to play”.

The Cricketer understands that the ECB are yet to receive scientific evidence from No.10 to support the delay to the game returning.

reccolumn300603

Clubs have long since been able to return to netting

In May, as part of The Cricketer's wide-ranging investigation into the effect of the coronavirus on the sport, Sir Jeremy Farrar - one of the world's foremost infectious disease experts, a member of the government's special advisory group SAGE and a keen amateur cricketer - suggested August was a viable return date for the recreational game.

Internal discussions between the ECB and its stakeholders have included proposals based around six and eight-a-side matches in July, in the event that restrictions do not cater for full 11-a-side cricket.

Simon Prodger, the managing director of the National Cricket Conference, told The Telegraph last week that clubs would be ready to resume as early as July 5 if circumstances allow.

He said: “It's a reasonable expectation to believe that we might be in a position to play some form of cricket in the next three weeks.

“There's nothing that the ECB can do about getting competitive cricket back on if the Government is not prepared to increase the size of the social bubbles that we can operate in and enable cricket to be played within the environment of the Covid pandemic.”

Many clubs are suffering substantial losses from a summer without the recreational game, with membership subscriptions, bar and venue hire revenue, and junior coaching fees making up the majority of the financial hole.

The ECB made available £20million in grants and loans in April, while Sport England, Sport Wales and local authority schemes have helped keep some clubs afloat. The ECB has not yet provided figures for the amount of money claimed from its programme, nor the number of clubs which have taken advantage.

There is a real danger that a cricket-less summer could result in many being unable to survive. Others, meanwhile, are more concerned with the repayment of debt in 2021, or how they will spread maintenance and renovation costs across two years.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
sturginho

Good work on the new Fred, my sky sports pass lasts until the 17th so I can watch the first test
Paddington Bear

I have a suspicion cricket will be the most watchable behind closed doors sport.

Football really isn't doing it for me without a crowd and suspect rugby would be the same, but cricket doesn't need an atmosphere in the same way.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
sturginho

Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:32 am I have a suspicion cricket will be the most watchable behind closed doors sport.

Football really isn't doing it for me without a crowd and suspect rugby would be the same, but cricket doesn't need an atmosphere in the same way.
The only football I have watched is the league 2 playoffs (see the soccer fred) and to be honest couldn't care less about the absence of a crowd. Also the lack of screaming from the commentators was an improvement
Paddington Bear

One day to go!

Lara claiming the West Indies can't win in five days - I don't buy it.

We always seem to think they're going to be a pushover and chances are they'll show more determination and grit than expected. Expect it will do a bit early tomorrow.
Slick

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:53 am One day to go!

We always seem to think they're going to be a pushover and chances are they'll show more determination and grit than expected. Expect it will do a bit early tomorrow.
The first day I can really watch is Saturday, not sure it will still be going by then
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Paddington Bear

Slick wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am

The first day I can really watch is Saturday, not sure it will still be going by then
Looks fairly wet tomorrow so I think you may be lucky - cricket's return is inevitably going to be washed out.
ScarfaceClaw

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:02 am
Slick wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:00 am

Looks fairly wet tomorrow so I think you may be lucky - cricket's return is inevitably going to be washed out.
Isn’t this July going to be so wet that London is going to be renamed Atlantis? I thought there were weeks of near constant rain ahead of us.
And 1 guest

Looks like Englands only selection issue is between Broad, Wood and Archer. Tough decision but I reckon Wood will miss out this time.
JM2K6

Ollie Robinson looked very handy in the Stokes v Buttler game.
And 1 guest

The batting seems locked in
Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Denly
Stokes
Pope
Buttler

I'd like to see Pope at four myself.
JM2K6

Easing him in where is seems like an okay choice for now, but he's definitely going to be moving up sooner or later. Dan Lawrence - someone I talked about on the previous board - didn't do enough to displace Denly but might be slotted in at a later date. Until he had to focus on T20 he was a proper old school Test-style cricketer; not sure I like the look of all his foot movement now but he did alright in the warmup game.
Paddington Bear

Since 2018 Holder has averaged 14 with the ball and 42 with the bat. Adds a little bit to Braithwaite suggesting he's underrated and should be considered as potentially the best all rounder in the world.
Saint

Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:32 am I have a suspicion cricket will be the most watchable behind closed doors sport.

All of the players will have a lot of experience playing in empty grounds.
And 1 guest

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:35 pm Since 2018 Holder has averaged 14 with the ball and 42 with the bat. Adds a little bit to Braithwaite suggesting he's underrated and should be considered as potentially the best all rounder in the world.
Holder is currently ranked number one all-rounder, and he's a damn good captain too. Deserves huge respect.
Most of the Windies batters seem to do better against England than their career averages so I am hopeful for a good series.
JM2K6

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:35 pm Since 2018 Holder has averaged 14 with the ball and 42 with the bat. Adds a little bit to Braithwaite suggesting he's underrated and should be considered as potentially the best all rounder in the world.
Bit of a small sample size, heavily skewed by that 202* against England (bizarre match that, had totally forgotten about it). He's had 19 innings in that time and passed 50 on only 3 occasions including that huge score.

He's one hell of a bowler though, no doubt, and his career stats (averaging 26) show it.
Biffer

Saw the WIndies a couple of times in the world cup last year. thought there was more young talent in their squad than I'd seen them have in a long time. Could mature into a pretty good team.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
And 1 guest

I'll miss Cotterell and the salute
Paddington Bear

Saint wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:47 pm

All of the players will have a lot of experience playing in empty grounds.
Yeah and for me a good day's play in the Championship is just as enjoyable as a day at the test. It has a different vibe to an international day at HQ vs a half empty AJ Bell for example.
Ovals

JM2K6 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:28 pm Easing him in where is seems like an okay choice for now, but he's definitely going to be moving up sooner or later. Dan Lawrence - someone I talked about on the previous board - didn't do enough to displace Denly but might be slotted in at a later date. Until he had to focus on T20 he was a proper old school Test-style cricketer; not sure I like the look of all his foot movement now but he did alright in the warmup game.
It was a shame that Lawrence didn't do quite enough to force himself into the team - I think he's a better player than Crawley and Denly and was a more natural replacement for Root at 4. I'm sure his time will come but probably not in this series.

I'd also like to see Pope bat at least one place higher - we could be missing out on a lot of runs having him at 6, where he'll end up batting with the tail. He should be looking at scoring big tons - he's extremely good. Has all the shots, a good technique and an excellent temperament - very positive in everything he does.

It'll be interesting to see how they mix and match the bowling resources.
Un Pilier

And 1 guest wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:21 pm The batting seems locked in
Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Denly
Stokes
Pope
Buttler

Boycott was insisting Pope had to play his natural game down the order in the Torygraph today. Have to say that I agree with him on this occasion.
There. I said it. :think:
Woddy

It's not going to be the same without Boycs on TMS [do TMS have this series?]
Paddington Bear

Un Pilier wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:08 pm
Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Denly
Stokes
Pope
Buttler

Boycott was insisting Pope had to play his natural game down the order in the Torygraph today. Have to say that I agree with him on this occasion.
This test was in many ways made for Boycs - for once he wouldn't have been the only commentator not to have watched a game for three months.
Biffer

Woddy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:11 pm It's not going to be the same without Boycs on TMS [do TMS have this series?]
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000kqj7

:thumbup:
ScarfaceClaw

And 1 guest wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:04 pm Looks like Englands only selection issue is between Broad, Wood and Archer. Tough decision but I reckon Wood will miss out this time.
England selectors playing the long game by not having Wood get injured in the first test. They’ll hold him back for the next one at which point he can break down injured and be out for the rest of summer.

He’s a good bowler when he’s not injured but that only seems to be one match a series or tour.
Woddy

Biffer wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:22 pm
Woddy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:11 pm It's not going to be the same without Boycs on TMS [do TMS have this series?]

Thought he'd been dropped?
Biffer

Woddy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:31 pm
Biffer wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:22 pm

Thought he'd been dropped?
Confirming TMS have this series, not that Boycs is on.
Woddy

ah good re TMS, prefer them to Radio 5 even if only because my car radio can never find the latter. Boycs is mentioned on that link, so perhaps he's retained a punditry role and just isn't commentating any longer.
duke

Woddy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:54 pm ah good re TMS, prefer them to Radio 5 even if only because my car radio can never find the latter. Boycs is mentioned on that link, so perhaps he's retained a punditry role and just isn't commentating any longer.
Boycs confirmed recently that he'd stopped doing TMS - partly due to COVID risks.
ScarfaceClaw

duke wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:26 pm
Woddy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:54 pm ah good re TMS, prefer them to Radio 5 even if only because my car radio can never find the latter. Boycs is mentioned on that link, so perhaps he's retained a punditry role and just isn't commentating any longer.
Boycs confirmed recently that he'd stopped doing TMS - partly due to COVID risks.
And partly the difficulty in getting gin delivered at 0900 each day in the quantities he needed.
Un Pilier

Paddington Bear wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:12 pm
Un Pilier wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:08 pm
Burns
Sibley
Crawley
Denly
Stokes
Pope
Buttler

This test was in many ways made for Boycs - for once he wouldn't have been the only commentator not to have watched a game for three months.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Un Pilier

Damn weather forecast for tomorrow is a worry. Looking okay after that.
And 1 guest

The weather forecast isn't great, but not looking at a total washout. Both sides far stronger with the ball rather than the bat, so there might be a temptation to bowl first in cloudy conditions. I've not heard anything about the pitch, but I believe historically Southampton is dry and slow.
The Guardian predicting Wood will play ahead of Broad, which would surprise me. If true, I hope Wood and Anderson can get through a lot of overs without breaking down. Otherwise Bess will need to be accurate and there is only Denly to bowl part time spin with Root on nappy duty.
Fingers crossed for plenty of cricket, with enough happening to compensate for the lack of spectators.
duke

And 1 guest wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:33 am The weather forecast isn't great, but not looking at a total washout. Both sides far stronger with the ball rather than the bat, so there might be a temptation to bowl first in cloudy conditions. I've not heard anything about the pitch, but I believe historically Southampton is dry and slow.
The Guardian predicting Wood will play ahead of Broad, which would surprise me. If true, I hope Wood and Anderson can get through a lot of overs without breaking down. Otherwise Bess will need to be accurate and there is only Denly to bowl part time spin with Root on nappy duty.
Fingers crossed for plenty of cricket, with enough happening to compensate for the lack of spectators.
I think it's one of those days when there could be fairly frequent interruptions so may be worth bowling with what should be helpful overhead conditions. Not sure how the "no saliva on the ball" rule will affect this though. I would still be inclined to go with Broad rather than Wood.
Jambanja

For some reason I can’t see this being aired in NZ which really pisses me off considering the dearth of live sport and the fact I’m paying to subscribe to Sky Sports :thumbdown:
Un Pilier

Tricky to no what to do with the toss. Overhead conditions say bowl but if the ball might get wet I’d prefer to bat. Could be an in and out sort of day too - if it is that makes batting tough. Not the easiest call for whoever wins the toss.
duke

Un Pilier wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 am Tricky to no what to do with the toss. Overhead conditions say bowl but if the ball might get wet I’d prefer to bat. Could be an in and out sort of day too - if it is that makes batting tough. Not the easiest call for whoever wins the toss.
A good toss to lose to recycle the ancient cliche.
And 1 guest

The saliva ban might mean reverse swing becomes a factor, although I doubt the pitch will be abrasive enough to significantly rough up one side of the ball.

With two fragile batting lineups and fairly long tails it must be tempting to have a bowl for both captains.
Sandstorm

Un Pilier wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 am Tricky to no what to do with the toss. Overhead conditions say bowl but if the ball might get wet I’d prefer to bat. Could be an in and out sort of day too - if it is that makes batting tough. Not the easiest call for whoever wins the toss.
25 overs today. Maximum.
Sandstorm

Toss delayed by drizzle.