The Official Cricket Thread

Where goats go to escape
Sandstorm

Fucking Sam Curran and Livingstone do fuck-all for MI Capetown for 7 weeks, then step up for IPL and win their first game of the tournament!! Dicks!!
Biffer

Sandstorm wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:10 pm Fucking Sam Curran and Livingstone do fuck-all for MI Capetown for 7 weeks, then step up for IPL and win their first game of the tournament!! Dicks!!
SAT20 is a warmup for IPL where overseas players get some pocket change for a run out in the sun.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Insane_Homer

Maphaka, 17 year old Saffa fast bowler making his IPL debut for MI now.
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Insane_Homer

Travis Head Blazin' 40 from 15 so far...
“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true.”
Sandstorm

Insane_Homer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:27 pm Travis Head Blazin' 40 from 15 so far...
60*

Pandya is a shithouse captain. Bowls Bumrah for 1 cheap over, then watches the other quicks get smashed all over the ground....yet still holds Bumrah back for later. Why???
Insane_Homer

Klaasen now in with score @ 166 with ***check notes*** 9 over still left to bowl
Biffer

Biffer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:33 pm The ICC's vaguely insane qualification criteria for the next T20 World Cup in 2026 has been announced. Basically it's the hosts, India and Sri Lanka, plus the 8 teams who get out of the group stages in the 2024 T20 World Cup, plus however many more teams you need to get up to 12 automatic qualifiers, taken from the highest ranked teams who haven't qualified by getting out of the groups this time (as of the rankings on June 29th).

Current rankings (as of 11th March) that are relevant are

11 Namibia 196
12 Ireland 194
13 Zimbabwe 193
14 Scotland 190
15 Netherlands 183

So it's really tight. Since those rankings Scotland beat Oman 2-1 in a three match series and Ireland lost a series to Afghanistan by the sme score. But the ICC and cricket generally will make absolutely no mention of this in the next few months, there will be no marketing and no attempt to generate any interest whatsoever. Oh, and nobody really seems to be sure if the T20 games at the Africa games count as full internationals or not. and given Namibia have lost to Zimbabwe and Nigeria that'd damage their hopes of getting into the top12, but they may want to count them to make sure Zimbabwe get in. The ICC probably won't confirm this either way until they see the outcome and how it'll affect rankings.

Then they'll have the regional qualifiers again, which is a whole different shitshow. The qualifiers are allocated as 2 from Europe, 2 from Asia, 2 from Africa, 1 from East Asia-Pacific and 1 from Americas. The problem with this is how easily someone could game the system. Scotland Ireland and the Netherlands have a six game T20 series in mid/late May in preparation for the World Cup. The way the rankings are at the moment, If one of those teams were to throw all four of their games, it'd ensure that one of the other two qualified automatically, and that would leave a nice easy European qualifier for the remaining two (those three teams being a fair bit ahead of the other European teams). This all stems from the disparity in the regions the ICC has set up. If you look at current World Rankings, to qualify from Europe you need to be in the top 14 in the World. To qualify from Asia, top 17. To qualify from East Asia-Pacific you need to be in the top 40. The Asia / East Asia distinction is entirely arbitrary and could easily be fixed by moving Hong Kong (rank 21) and Malaysia (25) into East Asia-Pac to give a better balance, and then having something that's more a repechage for the last place. But that's never going to happen because the ICC doesn't give a shit.
I know none of you are wondering, but the ICC have decided that South Africa and Zimbabwe games don't count but everyone else do. Fucking mental.
Insane_Homer

277-3 :crazy:

:bimbo:
Sandstorm

Insane_Homer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:50 pm 277-3 :crazy:

:bimbo:
Baptism of fire for the young Saffer - Klaasen no-lube. :sad:
Paddington Bear

Championship back, would have been nice to get at least a day into the season before being reminded how crap Middlesex are
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
SaintK

Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:20 pm Championship back, would have been nice to get at least a day into the season before being reminded how crap Middlesex are
Sam Northeast 335 not out for Glamorgan :shock: :shock: :shock:
Paddington Bear

SaintK wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:09 am
Paddington Bear wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:20 pm Championship back, would have been nice to get at least a day into the season before being reminded how crap Middlesex are
Sam Northeast 335 not out for Glamorgan :shock: :shock: :shock:
Without being made to sweat either. Gooch’s record gone
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Mahoney

I’m told Middlesex are in a world of trouble off the pitch - dodgy financial shenanigans
Wha daur meddle wi' me?
Paddington Bear

Mahoney wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:45 am I’m told Middlesex are in a world of trouble off the pitch - dodgy financial shenanigans
Yep. A lot of it is in the public domain but there’s more to come out.
Biffer

Six sixes in an over, Nepal v Qatar T20I

Paddington Bear

Won’t name names for vague internet anonymity reasons but a young lad has made his first class debut in this round of the CC who played his first ever mens game under my captaincy (I waived the rules and allowed him to down a half-pint rather than a full one on debut on account of being allegedly well under 18. My DBS was just renewed) and is a full product of my club’s junior section. Good lad as well.

There’s two other current first class players who also came through my club’s system.

In the 90s the club nearly folded. In 2000 we had two mens teams and no juniors. This year we’re running 5 men’s teams, a women’s team and 28 junior sides. There’s another lad in our set up who will almost certainly get a pro contract next year. I’ve been on the club committee since I was 17, sometimes you wonder what you’re achieving but think it’s fair to say we’ve more than done our bit for a great sport.

Anyway, very proud. Happy to share my captaincy tips to help you go pro.
Biffer

Paddington Bear wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:45 pm Won’t name names for vague internet anonymity reasons but a young lad has made his first class debut in this round of the CC who played his first ever mens game under my captaincy (I waived the rules and allowed him to down a half-pint rather than a full one on debut on account of being allegedly well under 18. My DBS was just renewed) and is a full product of my club’s junior section. Good lad as well.

There’s two other current first class players who also came through my club’s system.

In the 90s the club nearly folded. In 2000 we had two mens teams and no juniors. This year we’re running 5 men’s teams, a women’s team and 28 junior sides. There’s another lad in our set up who will almost certainly get a pro contract next year. I’ve been on the club committee since I was 17, sometimes you wonder what you’re achieving but think it’s fair to say we’ve more than done our bit for a great sport.

That’s tremendous. How have you managed to expand? One individual dedicated to the point of obsession, a group of people willing to put the effort in all being around at the same time, or something more structural / formal? Any ECB/MCC assistance?
tabascoboy

Paddington Bear wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:45 pm Won’t name names for vague internet anonymity reasons but a young lad has made his first class debut in this round of the CC who played his first ever mens game under my captaincy (I waived the rules and allowed him to down a half-pint rather than a full one on debut on account of being allegedly well under 18. My DBS was just renewed) and is a full product of my club’s junior section. Good lad as well.

Well done, also won't name names but think I can guess which club and player - good to see local clubs still able to see their youngsters break through in these times where importing overseas talent seems an easier answer...
Paddington Bear

Biffer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:49 am

That’s tremendous. How have you managed to expand? One individual dedicated to the point of obsession, a group of people willing to put the effort in all being around at the same time, or something more structural / formal? Any ECB/MCC assistance?

The recovery starts with 1) the President realising he was the wrong man to lead any change and persuading someone else to do so and 2) pretty relentless drive from said person to the point of materially affecting his work/personal life. Structure is something we’ve lacked a little, classic double edged sword of someone who is a blue sky thinker.

A lot of clubs would spend a lot on an overseas pro, from around 2000-2009ish (GFC scaled things back) we employed a director of cricket for the summer who was a phenomenal coach. We advertised heavily and became the default option for any kid vaguely serious about his cricket around the end of that period (I captained our first junior side to win a county title in 40 years around that time, once you do it once it becomes a habit). It becomes self-fulfilling to an extent, decent cricketers are easier to turn into decent coaches and students will always want a summer job.

We’ve been very, very good at integrating juniors into senior cricket and that’s really where our playing numbers come from. Of the 55 we put out on a league Saturday, we average 30-35 ex or current juniors. This has made recruitment more organic, generally people’s mates from uni or school. Our facilities are unrecognisable from 20 years ago, another major factor and largely the result of volunteers.

I think our model is *the* model for sustainable club sports in general. With that said I have two major caveats:

1) it all relies on keeping our 1st XI competitive at the top of the local game and that is easier said than done
2) we’re in an area with state grammars who all take cricket (and rugby and hockey) seriously. This has always helped us recruit. Obviously not repeatable everywhere.

ECB? They’ve done their best to bankrupt us, ruin our women’s section and nearly got us relegated and invalidated our insurance 2 years ago when their child protection system wouldn’t accept Sri Lankan surnames. Don’t have a good word to say about them. I think we got some MCC funding back in the day to help set up the junior section, but given I was one of the kids I don’t know the details. Their brief is, in fairness, much more about spreading the gospel into unusual/new places rather than supporting existing clubs.
tabascoboy

One of my childhood heroes :sad: RIP
Derek Underwood: England and Kent great dies aged 78

Former England and Kent bowler Derek Underwood has died at the age of 78, the county have announced.

Slow left-armer Underwood took 297 wickets in 86 Tests between 1966 and 1982, the most by any England spinner.

He claimed 2,465 wickets in 676 first-class matches overall, representing only Kent, the county of his birth, in a stellar 24-year domestic career.

Underwood was appointed an MBE in 1981 and was president of the Marylebone Cricket Club in 2009.

He also took 32 wickets in 26 one-day internationals and would have represented England more but for joining World Series Cricket in 1977 and the rebel tour of South Africa in 1981-82.

Underwood was one of 55 inaugural members inducted into the International Cricket Council hall of fame when it launched in 2009.

Kent Cricket chair Simon Philip said the club is "in mourning following the passing of one of its greatest ever players".

He added: "Derek was an outstanding contributor to both Kent and England, winning trophies for club and country and etching his name in the history books forevermore.

"Watching Derek weave his unique magic on a wet wicket was a privilege for all who were able to witness it. His induction into the ICC Hall of Fame shows the esteem in which he was held in world cricket.

"An advocate for growing our game worldwide whilst protecting our sport's rich heritage, Derek also made substantial contributions off the field as well as on it, and he will be sorely missed by everyone at Kent Cricket."
SaintK

tabascoboy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:21 pm One of my childhood heroes :sad: RIP
Spoiler
Show
Derek Underwood: England and Kent great dies aged 78

Former England and Kent bowler Derek Underwood has died at the age of 78, the county have announced.

Slow left-armer Underwood took 297 wickets in 86 Tests between 1966 and 1982, the most by any England spinner.

He claimed 2,465 wickets in 676 first-class matches overall, representing only Kent, the county of his birth, in a stellar 24-year domestic career.

Underwood was appointed an MBE in 1981 and was president of the Marylebone Cricket Club in 2009.

He also took 32 wickets in 26 one-day internationals and would have represented England more but for joining World Series Cricket in 1977 and the rebel tour of South Africa in 1981-82.

Underwood was one of 55 inaugural members inducted into the International Cricket Council hall of fame when it launched in 2009.

Kent Cricket chair Simon Philip said the club is "in mourning following the passing of one of its greatest ever players".

He added: "Derek was an outstanding contributor to both Kent and England, winning trophies for club and country and etching his name in the history books forevermore.

"Watching Derek weave his unique magic on a wet wicket was a privilege for all who were able to witness it. His induction into the ICC Hall of Fame shows the esteem in which he was held in world cricket.

"An advocate for growing our game worldwide whilst protecting our sport's rich heritage, Derek also made substantial contributions off the field as well as on it, and he will be sorely missed by everyone at Kent Cricket."

And mine
I recall seeing him take something like 8 for 10 on a drying wicket at Mote Park Maidstone one summer holiday.
Allan Knott made it look all so easy keeping to him as well.
inactionman

Michael Slater has been arrested for what appears a whole range of domestic violence offences.

He was nicked for similar a few years back, I think, and has subsequently just breached restraining orders.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... t-stalking

Anyway, on a lot happier note, well done Paddington, great work fella :thumbup:
Slick

This is fantastic mate, bloody well done. I'm presuming in our old local area?
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Kiwias

Paddington Bear wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:24 pm

The recovery starts with 1) the President realising he was the wrong man to lead any change and persuading someone else to do so and 2) pretty relentless drive from said person to the point of materially affecting his work/personal life. Structure is something we’ve lacked a little, classic double edged sword of someone who is a blue sky thinker.

A lot of clubs would spend a lot on an overseas pro, from around 2000-2009ish (GFC scaled things back) we employed a director of cricket for the summer who was a phenomenal coach. We advertised heavily and became the default option for any kid vaguely serious about his cricket around the end of that period (I captained our first junior side to win a county title in 40 years around that time, once you do it once it becomes a habit). It becomes self-fulfilling to an extent, decent cricketers are easier to turn into decent coaches and students will always want a summer job.

We’ve been very, very good at integrating juniors into senior cricket and that’s really where our playing numbers come from. Of the 55 we put out on a league Saturday, we average 30-35 ex or current juniors. This has made recruitment more organic, generally people’s mates from uni or school. Our facilities are unrecognisable from 20 years ago, another major factor and largely the result of volunteers.

I think our model is *the* model for sustainable club sports in general. With that said I have two major caveats:

1) it all relies on keeping our 1st XI competitive at the top of the local game and that is easier said than done
2) we’re in an area with state grammars who all take cricket (and rugby and hockey) seriously. This has always helped us recruit. Obviously not repeatable everywhere.

ECB? They’ve done their best to bankrupt us, ruin our women’s section and nearly got us relegated and invalidated our insurance 2 years ago when their child protection system wouldn’t accept Sri Lankan surnames. Don’t have a good word to say about them. I think we got some MCC funding back in the day to help set up the junior section, but given I was one of the kids I don’t know the details. Their brief is, in fairness, much more about spreading the gospel into unusual/new places rather than supporting existing clubs.
You should be immensely proud of what you and your club have achieved.
Biffer

Great stuff, just what club cricket needs. I like the idea of switching from using pro money on 'player first, coach second' to the other way around. Seems to me a lot of clubs might benefit from that approach - let's face it, a pro coach is still going to add something to the playing side as well. So many clubs pay a 19/20 year old up and coming cricketer to play for them and then he does a bit of coaching with the juniors, but doesn't really have the experience to improve them. If you're coaching everyone at the club, from the firsts downwards, and coaching coaches, that's going to be a superior approach.

Your club should be held up as an exemplar imo.
Biffer

Scotland's tri series against Namibia and Oman, part of the qualifying tournament for the next world cup, has been delayed two months until July.

New dates are

Tuesday, 16 July: Scotland v Oman

Thursday, 18 July: Oman v Namibia

Saturday, 20 July: Scotland v Namibia

Monday, 22 July: Scotland v Oman

Wednesday, 24 July: Oman v Namibia

Friday, 26 July: Scotland v Namibia

All in Broughty Ferry at Forfarshire Cricket Club as before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68834921
Paddington Bear

Slick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:27 pm

This is fantastic mate, bloody well done. I'm presuming in our old local area?
Thanks mate, yes just down the hill
Paddington Bear

Biffer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:00 am

Great stuff, just what club cricket needs. I like the idea of switching from using pro money on 'player first, coach second' to the other way around. Seems to me a lot of clubs might benefit from that approach - let's face it, a pro coach is still going to add something to the playing side as well. So many clubs pay a 19/20 year old up and coming cricketer to play for them and then he does a bit of coaching with the juniors, but doesn't really have the experience to improve them. If you're coaching everyone at the club, from the firsts downwards, and coaching coaches, that's going to be a superior approach.

Your club should be held up as an exemplar imo.
Yeah agreed. Paying a 19/20 year old has always struck me as odd - it’s always amusing seeing a Sydney first grade lad shivering in four jumpers and wondering why he’s not taking wickets as he bangs it in half way down on a green May wicket. As you say, they add precious little to the coaching/development side.

I think there’s two elements:
1) the 20 year old Aussie is usually great fun on a night out; and
2) clubs are exceptionally short term. Calling the top couple of divisions ‘Premier Leagues’ has done enormous damage to club cricket. I know similar happens in local rugby round here (my old club ruined itself trying to get into the National Leagues), I’m sure the same happens in Scotland.

And thanks (to others who’ve said nice things about us too). I wouldn’t pretend we don’t have our problems, but I don’t play against a single club I truly envy anymore
Woddy

That's great news - well done Paddington. Most clubs are going the other way, sadly. We could do with you coming down to ours and giving an assessment. Stagnating (at best), and the harder we work at it, the worse it gets - or so it feels. Our only general excuse is being in the highest density of clubs per capita in the country (apparently), so diluting the pool at all levels, but especially juniors.
Insane_Homer

Barstool going nuts in IPL chasing 262

88 from 37 so far.
Insane_Homer

Fraser-McGurk smashes 84 from 27

This IPL is farkin' mad
Biffer

Important series going on atm in respect of qualifying for the next T20 World Cup in 2026.

Basically, top 12 in the World rankings as of 30 June this year qualify automatically (unless someone outside the top 12 gets to the super 8 in the 2024 tournament, but it’s hard to see that happening without them also getting into the top 12). Zimbabwe are currently 13th but have a five match T20 series with Bangladesh. If they win one of those games they’re in a good position, two and they’d be nearly nailed on for 2026. Bit odd that they can get direct qualification for the next World Cup not having qualified for this one but there we go. They lost the first match though.

Currently Ireland are 11th, Scotland 12th and the Netherlands 15th. Those three nations have a Tri series in a couple of weeks, play each other twice. So that should leave at least one of them with direct qualification.

Namibia are 14th, but have no other games before the World Cup, so to get high enoughup the rankings they’d need to qualify for the Super 8 anyway.
Biffer

Scotland women qualify for the T20 World Cup by giving Ireland a fairly comprehensive beating in the semifinal of the qualifier. Other qualifier will likely be Sri Lanka who play the other semifinal vs UAE tomorrow.

First time they’ve qualified for this tournament. Well done ladies.

Incidentally, Afghanistan did not enter a team into the qualifying process, once again failing to meet their obligations as a full member of the ICC.