Crusaders vs Blues: MATCH THREAD; Sat 11th July

Where goats go to escape
FujiKiwi

MacDonald and Robertson are obviously very good coaches.

But Jamie Joseph and Tony Brown have done more with less.

It’s just weird to me that the latter two get left out of these conversations.
Monkey Magic

Jb1981 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:02 pm

They are all different plays but the moment above reminded me of Mo’unga’s long bounced penalty touch finder against the Springboks in Pretoria in 2018 and him forcing a 5 metre scrum from a free kick (from memory, maybe a penalty) from within his own 22 in the 2018 Super Rugby final vs the Lions.

His ability to spot and exploit teams sometimes only fractionally out of position is a big strength. I don’t like the term but he is a real “heads up” player.

One of the best things about his willingness to chance his arm, was that he had done a couple of dud plays early in the game but backed himself at the right time. He didn't go into his shell and wait for someone like havili to take control
Wild Beef

Carter's Choice wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:41 am
Wild Beef wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 pm I didn’t think Robertson had anyone lined up tbh. He approached Brown (they both did). It’s semantics though. Rangi has clearly done a great job this year.
You are wrong. Leon Macdonald was part of Scott Robertson's proposed coaching team. Robertson spoke at length about that this week. NZR rejected the Robertson/Macdonald team, instead opting for the Foster/Moar/Plumtree team.
My bad, probably getting confused as there was a lot of discussion over the need for a team and not a sole applicant.
Jb1981

Carter's Choice wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:41 am
Wild Beef wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 pm I didn’t think Robertson had anyone lined up tbh. He approached Brown (they both did). It’s semantics though. Rangi has clearly done a great job this year.
You are wrong. Leon Macdonald was part of Scott Robertson's proposed coaching team. Robertson spoke at length about that this week. NZR rejected the Robertson/Macdonald team, instead opting for the Foster/Moar/Plumtree team.
It was worse than that wasn’t it? Did Foster even have a concrete team or was he pitching on hope? Remember, NZ Rugby had to negotiate to get Moar out of his Scarlets contract and I didn’t think that happened until after Foster was appointed. They signed him on not knowing for sure who his team would be. Robertson on the other hand was required to have all cards confirmed and on the table.
Carter's Choice

Jb1981 wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:29 am It was worse than that wasn’t it? Did Foster even have a concrete team or was he pitching on hope? Remember, NZ Rugby had to negotiate to get Moar out of his Scarlets contract and I didn’t think that happened until after Foster was appointed. They signed him on not knowing for sure who his team would be. Robertson on the other hand was required to have all cards confirmed and on the table.
You are 100% correct. Robertson was expected to have his entire team locked in prior to the interview process whereas Foster was afforded the opportunity to finalise his team afterward.

It was a sham process and we all know this. The fact that it wasn't finalised until December is further evidence of this as almost all the alternative candidates to Foster secured their future with contracts elsewhere. Frankly I think NZR were genuinely shocked that Robertson actually bothered to apply for the job.
CrazyIslander

Monkey Magic wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:58 am

They are all different plays but the moment above reminded me of Mo’unga’s long bounced penalty touch finder against the Springboks in Pretoria in 2018 and him forcing a 5 metre scrum from a free kick (from memory, maybe a penalty) from within his own 22 in the 2018 Super Rugby final vs the Lions.

His ability to spot and exploit teams sometimes only fractionally out of position is a big strength. I don’t like the term but he is a real “heads up” player.

One of the best things about his willingness to chance his arm, was that he had done a couple of dud plays early in the game but backed himself at the right time. He didn't go into his shell and wait for someone like havili to take control
But would you want that sort unorthodoxy in a WC knockout game?
CrazyIslander

FujiKiwi wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:46 am MacDonald and Robertson are obviously very good coaches.

But Jamie Joseph and Tony Brown have done more with less.

It’s just weird to me that the latter two get left out of these conversations.
The NZRU was set on Fozzie and Joseph/Rennie knew thus both took other options. IMO NZRU are set on Gatland, gave him the Chiefs and then bring him in after the Lions.
stemoc

NZRU has a hard on for waikato ppl even though they are the shittiest coaches since wayne smith...pretty sure both of chiefs assistant coaches were also fiji's assistant coaches at the RWC.. shit coaches definitely..if they can't do anything with great talent, what hope do they have with greater talents?
Ymx

CrazyIslander wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:10 am

If it turns the game on its head, then yes.

Without that change of momentum we were going to lose.

In a WC knockout, losing is bad.
Monkey Magic

Ymx wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:46 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:10 am

If it turns the game on its head, then yes.
Think that kick off is a relatively low risk option, just taking advantage of an opportunity. Like cruden few years against england at eden park, walked up like he was going to kick the penalty, saw space so tapped and think Conrad smith scored in the corner
Auckman

Kiwias wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:41 am
Auckman wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:57 am Congrats to the Crusader supporters. Owned the last 15mins and therefore the match. Hopefully the season is still up for grabs in the last round when the teams meet again at Eden Park.
That has the potential to be a classic battle.
Indeed but I think, despite the big improvement this year from the Blues, your boys are just that step ahead.