Crusaders vs Blues: MATCH THREAD; Sat 11th July

Where goats go to escape
Ymx

After his club game the other day, he suggested he was rusty and not up to supe standards at present.

But the guy is modest to boot.

I tried to watch it but stream kept dying, so couldn’t judge for myself
Ymx

I’m viewing this game as a win win.

We win, and great.

We lose, and the sleeping giant awakens. And hopefully the sleepy f’ing fans.
JPNZ

terangi48 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:57 am I'll go with the NZ-TAB.........Crusaders - $1.39..........Blues - $2.85.

It'll be more than 15 against 15 in this one.........the bench will be vital.

......however the game will change if Mo'unga is injured. Blues will have more depth at 10 with Otere Black and Carter.
All the money is on Crusaders, undefeated at home since July 2016.

Crusaders $1.33
Blues $3.10
terangi48

Jeepers.....that didnt take long to move from 2:1 to almost 3:1 on the TAB. Seems that Leons crew could use underdog status to their advantage.

Long range forcast is for fine overhead, 5-10 degrees, and soft underfoot, Northerlies developing............at the moment!
FujiKiwi

Those odds sound about right. The Blues will have to have a blinder with a bit of luck besides to get a win. It would certainly be a famous victory.
Carter's Choice

The Blues biggest advantage is that they have better ball runners in their pack. It's not just Hoskins Sotutu and Akira Ioane either, they also have Tuipulotu, Papali'i and the props who are all very strong ball runners.

Both teams have exciting back threes and talented midfield duos. They should really cancel themselves out, with both teams able to take try scoring opportunities if they present.

I think the game will be won at the set piece and in the halves.
FujiKiwi

And which team has the best set piece and halves? It’s not even up for debate.
Carter's Choice

FujiKiwi wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:02 am And which team has the best set piece and halves? It’s not even up for debate.
Well, I just thought I would leave that unstated and allow members and guests to make their own judgement :wink:
FujiKiwi

Time for the mocker Gods to look down from Olympus and infuse Sam Nock with godlike powers, just for one game.
Carter's Choice

FujiKiwi wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:15 am Time for the mocker Gods to look down from Olympus and infuse Sam Nock with godlike powers, just for one game.
Nock has been playing very well all season :thumbup:
FujiKiwi

Agree that as a journeyman he is playing to the top of his ability. Otere Black is more talented and is also in good form, but even so, the most ardent Blues supporter is never going to see him as better than Richie Mo’unga.
JPNZ

Its good to actually have a lot of excitement around this game. Previous years with the blues season hopes gone these games haven't had the excitement they deserve. I hope the home fans get out in force..
Auckman

I think the best thing todo is try and keep possession for long periods; kick over any penalties that come our way to keep the scoreboard ticking over; and park the bus on defence.
Ymx

JPNZ wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:46 am Its good to actually have a lot of excitement around this game. Previous years with the blues season hopes gone these games haven't had the excitement they deserve. I hope the home fans get out in force..
Agree. We are about to go from 2 undefeated teams to 1 who will be on 4/4.

And another team who will be on 0/4.

And the other 2 battling it out for the current 3/4 place.

It a pretty exciting weekend tbf. Unless you’re Naki, enz, or unclefb
Gumboot

Auckman wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:25 am I think the best thing todo is try and keep possession for long periods; kick over any penalties that come our way to keep the scoreboard ticking over; and park the bus on defence.
Quietly confident the Blues pack can hold their own, and maybe even edge it in the loose forwards. Nock and Black don't need to be better than their Saders counterparts, but I expect them to at least have parity.

Tasty match-up - can't wait.

Anyone know when big Karl's due back?
FujiKiwi

Black is efficient. Mo’unga is brilliant. There’s not likely to be “parity” there.
terangi48

Looking forward to the Barratt v Jordan match up........Crusaders wil have the stronger half backs.
Monkey Magic

One plus for the Blues is I think their overall kicking game will be better than what crusaders have faced so far.

If Black, Barrett and Nock can put the team in positions they have the players to score. But i think they need decent lead in the final 10 to avoid getting run down
FujiKiwi

The Saders have won every kicking battle with ease, so far. Not just with their kicking from 9,10 and 15, but from excellent chasing from the likes of Reece, Bridge, Jordan and Havili. Again, the Blues haven’t kicked badly, but their chase isn’t at the same level.
Monkey Magic

FujiKiwi wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:30 am The Saders have won every kicking battle with ease, so far. Not just with their kicking from 9,10 and 15, but from excellent chasing from the likes of Reece, Bridge, Jordan and Havili. Again, the Blues haven’t kicked badly, but their chase isn’t at the same level.
Not saying the saders will be completely outdone in the kicking stakes - just that it is possible the blues will be able to get themselves in the game.

Personally still think TAB odds are about right- unless Parsons does actually turn into a quality NFL running back able to leap over the line of scrimmage
FujiKiwi

Monkey Magic wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:34 am
FujiKiwi wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:30 am The Saders have won every kicking battle with ease, so far. Not just with their kicking from 9,10 and 15, but from excellent chasing from the likes of Reece, Bridge, Jordan and Havili. Again, the Blues haven’t kicked badly, but their chase isn’t at the same level.
Not saying the saders will be completely outdone in the kicking stakes - just that it is possible the blues will be able to get themselves in the game.

Personally still think TAB odds are about right- unless Parsons does actually turn into a quality NFL running back able to leap over the line of scrimmage
😄. The look of consternation on his moon face after, at it not having come off... Priceless....

Honestly, Parsons is such a journey man. Not so much a weak link as a big “meh”.

The Rugby Gods were never going to allow him that kind of glory.
Gumboot

Sounds like you're not giving the Blues much chance, but I reckon Rangi may have been keeping a trick or two up his sleeve for this particular opponent. Hopefully the weather's conducive to running rugby and both sides put on a show. Can't wait!
FujiKiwi

Gumboot wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:41 am
Sounds like you're not giving the Blues much chance, but I reckon Rangi may have been keeping a trick or two up his sleeve for this particular opponent. Hopefully the weather's conducive to running rugby and both sides put on a show. Can't wait!
Not much of a chance... but still a chance...I agree that Leon MacDonald is a canny operator. He's growing on me. I reflexively hated him early on, feeling Tana had been shafted. But I have to admit, he's a sharp coach who has to take a lot of the credit for turning the team around. Apart from signing Barrett, it's not like the cattle have gotten much better. It's the sense of direction and purpose.
Gumboot

FujiKiwi wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:45 am
Not much of a chance... but still a chance...I agree that Leon MacDonald is a canny operator. He's growing on me. I reflexively hated him early on, feeling Tana had been shafted. But I have to admit, he's a sharp coach who has to take a lot of the credit for turning the team around. Apart from signing Barrett, it's not like the cattle have gotten much better. It's the sense of direction and purpose.
Yep, he's clearly a very good coach with great assistants and the Blues look a very happy camp. How's his break dancing form?
Ymx

Gumboot wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:49 am
FujiKiwi wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:45 am

Yep, he's clearly a very good coach with great assistants and the Blues look a very happy camp. How's his break dancing form?
The most pertinent question for sure.
Ymx

What’s your pr handle gumboot?
Gumboot

SecretAgentMan
Ymx

Gumboot wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:03 amSecretAgentMan
Excellent, knew you were one of the good ones.
JPNZ

Forecast is still clear and sunny from Friday through to Sunday so although its a bit wet today the ground should be okay. Lets not forget though it is midwinter in Christchurch so it will be cold at kickoff (2-4c) and there will be some dew on the ground.
FujiKiwi

A warm welcome to all the neutrals, who will, I assume, be vociferously supporting the Blues for this match.
terangi48

Not a neutral fujikiwi......but best wishes for the big game......the best chance the orbs have lies with (stir...stir) insider knowledge of the Crusaders strategies through Rangi and Dan....... :roll:
FujiKiwi

MacDonald and Carter won’t need to bring any esoteric insights. It’s not like the Saders’ success is a big mystery to anyone.

It’s more likely that Rangi and Dan’s general smarts and confidence, honed by years within the Saders set up, will be an asset in keeping the Blues focus and self belief high.
stemoc

the last time Blues won agaisnt crusaders, Caucau scored a hatrick, since blues hate fijians winger, who will be the caucau this year? ..answer.. no one.. crusaders by 15...if i'm wrong, i'll flounce PR... :think:
FujiKiwi

stemoc wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:15 am the last time Blues won agaisnt crusaders, Caucau scored a hatrick, since blues hate fijians winger, who will be the caucau this year? ..answer.. no one.. crusaders by 15...if i'm wrong, i'll flounce PR... :think:
How is that a win for us here at NPR?
FujiKiwi

Nock dropped for Christie

And Harry Plummer in for TJ Faiane, FFS. I have been impressed with MacDonald's calls so far, but this seems an odd selection to me. Apparently because the kicking game will be so important?
Auckman

Plummer's selection seems to be suggesting that they'll try and kick behind the Crusaders line.

The first rule of crusaders fight club is NEVER KICK THE BALL TO THEM. FFS.

MacDonald has got a death wish.
JPNZ

Crusaders Named

15. David Havili
14. Sevu Reece
13. Braydon Ennor
12. Jack Goodhue
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo’unga
9. Bryn Hall

8. Whetukamokamo Douglas
7. Tom Christie
6. Tom Sanders
5. Mitchell Dunshea
4. Samuel Whitelock
3. Michael Alaalatoa
2. Codie Taylor (captain)
1. Joe Moody

Reserves:

16. Andrew Makalio
17. George Bower
18. Oliver Jager
19. Quinten Strange
20. Sione Havili
21. Mitch Drummond
22. Fetuli Paea
23. Will Jordan
JPNZ

There’s no room in the Crusaders’ starting side for white-hot outside back Will Jordan this week.

Fresh from scoring braces against the Chiefs and Highlanders, Jordan has been named on the bench for Saturday night’s hugely anticipated clash against the Blues in Christchurch.

‘’It’s obviously a hard decision,’’ Crusaders coach Scott Robertson said, having named vice-captain David Havili at fullback, and George Bridge and Sevu Reece on the wings.

‘’But when you've got two All Black wings and your vice captain, who was probably player of Super Rugby before Covid-19 and he got sick (bowel surgery). We spent a lot of time on the decision-making and who would start. But the young fella will bring a lot off the bench.’’ Jordan has lit up the competition through the Crusaders’ opening three wins, running amok from both the fullback and wing positions. It sure highlights the luxurious position Robertson is in when it comes to his outside backs depth, which also includes Leicester Faingaanuku and Manasa Mataele.

“We would start all four if we could, there is no doubt,’’ Robertson said.

‘’He's [Jordan] just explosive, isn't he? He has got great timing and anticipation and can beat a man. He's pretty exciting, but he'll get more chances.’’ Asked where he saw Jordan in the All Blacks’ pecking order, the fourth-year Crusaders head coach said his consistency over the next five matches would be paramount.

‘’But he’s got all the qualities required. He’s definitely on the radar.’’

Jordan’s move to the bench is one of four changes to the Crusaders’ starting side. In addition to Bridge returning to the left-wing after a week off, halfback Bryn Hall replaces Mitchell Drummond in the run-on unit.

Loose forward Tom Sanders will start in the No 6 jersey, a week after Ethan Blackadder was set to fill the void left by the injured Cullen Grace against the Highlanders, only to be scratched ahead of kickoff.

Blackadder, who had major shoulder surgery last year, is set to go under the knife in the next week, after feeling discomfort in his knee, Robertson said.

‘’We really feel for him, he's been through a lot. He just had a wee episode with his knee, something is floating in it. It just locked up a couple of times. The surgeon said he will go inside and have a look.

‘’Look, he is a tough kid, but that hurt, I'm sure it did for him. He didn't show too much of it [emotion], but he's just hoping the best when they get him in for the operation.’’ With Grace likely to miss the remainder of the competition, the Crusaders have brought in Canterbury loose forward Hugh Renton as injury cover.

Sanders started the Crusaders' first two games of the season in February, but was unavailable immediately after the Covid-19 enforced break after becoming ill.

Sione Havili, who started at blindside flanker against the Highlanders last week, will provide impact off the bench, much like Jordan Taufua did in his final year with the team last season.

‘’Sione Havili was exceptional last week. He’s probably a bit like Will [Jordan], gives us some great impact. They are tough decisions, there is not much in it,’’ Robertson said.
stemoc

22 is a weak option on the bench, should have gone with Leicester since havili can cover 10/12 so no need for a reserve centre cause goodhue and reece can cover 13 too..jordan to cover right wing/fullback and Leicester for left wing cause we know bridge will have minimum impact in this game apart from defence..