16-Ash Dixon
17-Ayden Johnstone
18-Siate Tokolahi
19-Jack Whetton
20-Teariki Ben-Nicholas
21-Kayne Hammington
22-Bryn Gatland
23-Vilimoni Koroi.

Last edited by Carter's Choice on Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:53 am, edited 4 times in total.
Carter's Choice

Reakky looking forward to this match. The South Island derbies are always fiercely contested, and this match will be no different.

The Highlanders are seriously underrated this year, IMO. They dispatched the Chiefs in Rd 1 of this competition, and then were unlucky to lose to the undefeated Blues last weekend, away from home in Auckland. They have a very balanced pack, with strong ball runners, hard workers in the loose and an accurate set piece. At home they will be very tough to beat and I expect this match to be very close regardless of the outcome.

The Highlanders will also be boosted be the return of Joshua Ioane.
ScarfaceClaw

Crusaders just have too much quality across the field for this. Heart says Highlanders by 4 but head says Crusaders by 17. The bastards.
Carter's Choice

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:37 pm Crusaders just have too much quality across the field for this. Heart says Highlanders by 4 but head says Crusaders by 17. The bastards.
I think you're being a too harsh on the Highlanders. If Scott Gregory doesn't let in two soft tries with mistakes, the Highlanders beat the Blues comfortably last weekend. Heck, even with those two tries they could have still taken the match to Golden Point if they'd decided to attempt the penalty goal in the 77th minute, when trailing by three, instead of going for the corner and a lineout. I thought they were better than the Blues last weekend.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Carter's Choice wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:42 pm
ScarfaceClaw wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:37 pm Crusaders just have too much quality across the field for this. Heart says Highlanders by 4 but head says Crusaders by 17. The bastards.
I think you're being a too harsh on the Highlanders. If Scott Gregory doesn't let in two soft tries with mistakes, the Highlanders beat the Blues comfortably last weekend. Heck, even with those two tries they could have still taken the match to Golden Point if they'd decided to attempt the penalty goal in the 77th minute, when trailing by three, instead of going for the corner and a lineout. I thought they were better than the Blues last weekend.
Sadly I have to concur with Scarface. The Landers have a pretty ordinary record against the Saders, and that's because they play a similar style.

Just not as well.
Carter's Choice

I'd like to see George Bridge and Sevu Reece given a rest for this match, with Havili going to 15, Jordan to 14 and Leicester Faingaanuku getting a start at 11. Even if Jordan gets rested or benched, id like to see Leicester get a game.

Also, has anyone else noticed the Brett Cameron is persona non grata at the Crusaders. He's not even on the bench, having been relegated to club rugby for Lincoln Uni. I'm not unhappy with this, but it does highlight our extreme lack of depth at 10. If Mo'unga goes down we're f**ked.
Guy Smiley

I need a team to follow in this comp...
I like the look of this Crusaders outfit. I think I’ll back them. Who’s Brett Cameron?
Carter's Choice

Shanky’s mate wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:56 pm I need a team to follow in this comp...
I like the look of this Crusaders outfit. I think I’ll back them. Who’s Brett Cameron?
Forget Brett Cameron. He's a fringe squad member with the Crusaders who might not ever play for the team again. Funnily enough he won an All Black test cap against Japan a few years ago. The most undeserved AB test cap in the history of NZ Rugby.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Carter's Choice wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 pm
Shanky’s mate wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:56 pm I need a team to follow in this comp...
Forget Brett Cameron. He's a fringe squad member with the Crusaders who might not ever play for the team again. Funnily enough he won an All Black test cap against Japan a few years ago. The most undeserved AB test cap in the history of NZ Rugby.
Doesn't James Parsons also have an All Blacks cap?

Edit: My Christ, he does.
Parsons was re-selected for New Zealand in 2016, following the injury of Nathan Harris, playing off the bench against Australia in Westpac Stadium for the Bledisloe Series. Parsons was later injured himself at a training session, preventing any further game time that year.
Carter's Choice

I rate James Parsons as a better SR level player than Brett Cameron. By a significant margin.
Guy Smiley

Yes, I’ve heard of James Parsons...

:lol:
Carter's Choice

Cullen Grace is out of this match with a broken thumb, and is likely to be out for the season. A shame, but he's shown enough in 2020 to suggest he has real promise. I hope he spends the next 10 months in the gym building muscle mass and working on his explosiveness and speed.
Fonz

Carter's Choice wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 pm
Not sure about that, I think it was a cunning move by NZ Rugby to deny the home nations a potential 50-cap international.
Carter's Choice

So with Cullen Grace injured, the question is who moves into no.6 and who wears the no.20 jersey?

Ethan Blackadder is the obvious choice for blindside flanker. He has a similar skilleset to Grace; as a loose forward he is more of an 80 minute grafter rather than a flashy, x factor player. He is strong in defense, and a good lineout option, two areas where Grace excelled.

In terms of the bench, I would think that Sione Havili is the obvious choice. He can cover all three loose forward positions and he offers some impact off the bench late in the match

I'd love for Billy Harmon to be dropped from the squad. Tom Christie has been unsighted in Super Rugby Aotearoa, but I think long term he is going to be a much better player. I rate Scott Robertson extremely highly as a selector, but in this instance I just think he has got it wrong.
Carter's Choice

15-Michael Collins
14-Ngane Punivai
13-Rob Thompson
12-Sio Tomkinson
11-Jona Nareki
10-Mitch Hunt
9-Aaron Smith

8-Marino Mikaele-Tu'u
7-Dillon Hunt
6-Shannon Frizell
5-Josh Dickson
4-Paripari Parkinson
3-Jeff Thwaites
2-Liam Coltman
1-Daniel Lienert-Brown

Reserves:
16-Ash Dixon
17-Ayden Johnstone
18-Siate Tokolahi
19-Jack Whetton
20-Teariki Ben-Nicholas
21-Kayne Hammington
22-Bryn Gatland
23-Vilimoni Koroi.
The Highlanders team has been added to the OP, the Crusaders will be named later today.

That's a really strong pack, but I think the Crusaders will have the edge in the backline.

The Highlanders have the most balanced pack in this comp. Strong at the set piece, industrious at the breadown and effective at the set piece.
HouseofPane

Carter's Choice wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:57 am
The Highlanders team has been added to the OP, the Crusaders will be named later today.

That's a really strong pack, but I think the Crusaders will have the edge in the backline.

The Highlanders have the most balanced pack in this comp. Strong at the set piece, industrious at the breadown and effective at the set piece.
Definitely, especially considering the Highlanders backline troubles all year. I think on the whole though, things are improving slowly. Crusaders though can be a bloody ruthless outfit, so even if you manage to keep them quiet for a large part of the game, they can still do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. This should be a good game though.
Guy Smiley

I don’t agree about the Highlanders’s backline... perhaps a case of the sum being greater than its parts, they were the equal of the Blues last week in an entertaining tussle they almost stole.

I reckon the Saders are up for a serious fight here... wouldn’t be surprised to see the Clan win.
Carter's Choice

Shanky’s mate wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:42 am I don’t agree about the Highlanders’s backline... perhaps a case of the sum being greater than its parts, they were the equal of the Blues last week in an entertaining tussle they almost stole.

I reckon the Saders are up for a serious fight here... wouldn’t be surprised to see the Clan win.
All matches in this comp are tough, and the home team will be the favourite for every clash. The Highlanders were kept in the match last week by their strong pack, and I expect their forwards to have parity or even gain ascendancy this week. It's that good. But on paper the Crusaders should be stronger in the backs.
Ymx

Finally a saders game at a reasonable UK time I can watch.

What’s with match threads in both forums by the OP
Carter's Choice

Ymx wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:15 am Finally a saders game at a reasonable UK time I can watch.

When I started this thread PR was broken and no-one knew if it would ever be accessible again.
Gumboot

Crusaders: David Havili, Will Jordan, Braydon Ennor, Jack Goodhue, Leicester Faingaanuku, Richie Mo’unga, Mitchell Drummond, Whetukamokamo Douglas, Tom Christie, Ethan Blackadder, Mitchell Dunshea, Samuel Whitelock, Michael Alaalatoa, Codie Taylor (captain), Joe Moody. Reserves: Andrew Makalio, George Bower, Oliver Jager, Quinten Strange, Sione Havili, Ere Enari, Fetuli Paea, Sevu Reece

Scott Barrett out for 4 months. :(
Carter's Choice

Harmon dropped for Tom Christie! Yas Queen!!

Also both Reece and Bride rotated out of the XV.
Gumboot

Is Josh Ioane injured?
Carter's Choice

Gumboot wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:56 am Is Josh Ioane injured?
Yes, they were hopeful of him returning this week but he's obviously not quite right.
Ymx

Carter's Choice wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:36 am
Ymx wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:15 am Finally a saders game at a reasonable UK time I can watch.

When I started this thread PR was broken and no-one knew if it would ever be accessible again.
Fair enough AC. Thought you might have been up to mischief.

But now the dilemma, which one do we use match day?
Carter's Choice

Ymx wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:10 am Fair enough AC. Thought you might have been up to mischief.

But now the dilemma, which one do we use match day?

The only mischief I was up to was wanting to chat about Rugby.

Either or works, I've been forum hopping since PR returned and will probably use both until PR finally dies.
Jimmy Smallsteps

I can't see the Landers living with the quality of that Saders squad.

I think the final margin will be a comfortable 9 points or so in the Saders' favour, with the Landers scoring last.
coldtowel3478

Carter's Choice wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:20 am
I'd love for Billy Harmon to be dropped from the squad. Tom Christie has been unsighted in Super Rugby Aotearoa, but I think long term he is going to be a much better player. I rate Scott Robertson extremely highly as a selector, but in this instance I just think he has got it wrong.
Tom Christie was recovering from an injury last week. He's always been the incumbent.
FujiKiwi

I pick the Crusaders by 10 points. Would be delighted to be wrong. The Highlanders look pretty good so far, but the Crusaders look like they're going to be relentless.

Mo'unga's superior game at 10 will be decisive, I reckon. The Crusaders back 3 were great last week, too.

The only place I see the Highlanders having the edge is at 9, and that's not saying much.

EDIT: Casting my eye over those Highlanders loosies, they look extremely dangerous also. Should be a good match. 👍.
ASMO

I'm just enjoying being able to watch rugby again. I do wonder how much the new rules have changed the dynamics though, the Blues who were struggling pre-covid now beating all comers, team better suited to the new game or just better coaching!
FujiKiwi

ASMO wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:05 am I'm just enjoying being able to watch rugby again. I do wonder how much the new rules have changed the dynamics though, the Blues who were struggling pre-covid now beating all comers, team better suited to the new game or just better coaching!
Easy, there, big guy.

This year, the Blues had won 5 from 7 of their Super games pre-covid. We weren't doing so bad.

Unless you're meaning 2004-2019, then yes, the Blues were struggling then.
ASMO

Sorry I meant against NZ opposition, I think only 1 of those wins were against a NZ team, they lost the other 2
FujiKiwi

Yep. But we don' talk about that.

Seriously, the Crusaders look much better, damn them all to hell. But the Blues seem to be genuinely the second best team is Super Rugby Aotearoa and that's where I think they'll end up placing.

The Highlanders are no slouches, so it's not impossible they knock the Saders over today.
Monkey Magic

Chances Crusaders turn the Highlanders back three into a rabble with the kicking game based on how they struggled against the blues
Torquemada 1420

Morning all. Preferred these starts a little earlier. Sadists by 10+
Torquemada 1420

ASMO wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:05 am I'm just enjoying being able to watch rugby again. I do wonder how much the new rules have changed the dynamics though, the Blues who were struggling pre-covid now beating all comers, team better suited to the new game or just better coaching!
Coaching. It's not the rules. They look fit and for the 1st time in............. well, a friggin' long time, organised and, god forbid, disciplined! Apart from RIeko that is.
Torquemada 1420

Marshall looks like he's been on the bottle.
Gumboot

The Saders are probably raging favourites, but I think the Highlanders might pinch it by a point or two.

Hope Frizell can keep up his great form.
Torquemada 1420

That pop pass onto the cutback paid huge for the Landers last week and Saders punctured by same early doors.