Weekend thread - Ita v NZ 1p | Eng v Ton 3.15p | Wal v SA 5.30p | Fra v Arg 8p | Sco v Aus Sun 2.15

Where goats go to escape
Ymx

Italy v New Zealand.... Stadio Olimpico (Rome).... Saturday, November 6.... 1pm GMT.... Amazon Prime

England v Tonga.... Twickenham (London).... Saturday, November 6.... 3.15pm GMT.... Amazon Prime

Wales v South Africa.... Principality Stadium (Cardiff).... Saturday, November 6.... 5.30pm GMT.... Amazon Prime

France v Argentina.... Stade de France (Paris).... Saturday, November 6.... 8pm GMT.... Amazon Prime

Scotland v Australia.... BT Murrayfield (Edinburgh).... Sunday, November 7.... 2.15pm.... Amazon Prime
Last edited by Ymx on Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 18 times in total.
duke

Where did you get your times from? Per Beeb website the KOs are 2 hours later on GMT
OomStruisbaai

Ymx

duke wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:38 pm Where did you get your times from? Per Beeb website the KOs are 2 hours later on GMT
Good spotting. No need for 2 threads now. Bloody rugby pass
Ymx

So, what’s the thinking on NZ team?

Probably
Sam Cane will be back.
R Mo to start
Brodie won’t be playing

Possibly
Weber to start
D Mac at FB
Raggs

England to struggle at first, let in some poor tries, but eventually just crush Tonga in an uninspiring manner, not total domination, but never at real risk of losing. English to be a little disappointed, everyone else to say how crap England were that they could only manage that.

I hope Wales vs SA is competitive, and I'm excited about France, they've got some cracking players now. Scotland Aus is always an odd one.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Yr Alban

I reckon the greatest advantage Scotland have v Australia is the recent history of the fixture. Our players will believe they can win. That belief is shaky v SA and non-existent v NZ.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Sandstorm

Yr Alban wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:28 pm I reckon the greatest advantage Scotland have v Australia is the recent history of the fixture. Our players will believe they can win. That belief is shaky v SA and non-existent v NZ.
Write off Aus at your peril. This Wallabies side is a good one again and not before time either.
sockwithaticket

Raggs wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:59 pm England to struggle at first, let in some poor tries, but eventually just crush Tonga in an uninspiring manner, not total domination, but never at real risk of losing. English to be a little disappointed, everyone else to say how crap England were that they could only manage that.

I hope Wales vs SA is competitive, and I'm excited about France, they've got some cracking players now. Scotland Aus is always an odd one.
Can only agree sadly.

Arg - France could be a great game or it could be a stilted affair dominated by the bone-headed penalties both teams are prone to giving away.
Raggs

sockwithaticket wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:36 pm
Raggs wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:59 pm England to struggle at first, let in some poor tries, but eventually just crush Tonga in an uninspiring manner, not total domination, but never at real risk of losing. English to be a little disappointed, everyone else to say how crap England were that they could only manage that.

Can only agree sadly.

Arg - France could be a great game or it could be a stilted affair dominated by the bone-headed penalties both teams are prone to giving away.
Thing is, we'll then go on to do just fine in the rest of the AIs, whether it's wins or losses. We just never seem to be able to put away tier 2 opposition.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Ymx

I’m guessing NZ will have a ugly battle in the first half. Will probably get our usual yellow card at some point.

Will then start to take the game away in the second half, but finish a bit messily as changes are brought through.
Yr Alban

Sandstorm wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:32 pm
Yr Alban wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:28 pm I reckon the greatest advantage Scotland have v Australia is the recent history of the fixture. Our players will believe they can win. That belief is shaky v SA and non-existent v NZ.
Write off Aus at your peril. This Wallabies side is a good one again and not before time either.
Oh, I won't be doing that. No danger. It will be a very tough game. I'm just saying that Scotland don't have the crippling mental block about playing Australia that we do about playing the ABs in particular.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
Gumboot

OomStruisbaai wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:41 pm Image
Why do the Boks always name their side so early in the week?
Sinkers

I just hope Argentina decide to play a bit this tour rather than the recent anti-rugby boredom

England too for that matter
OomStruisbaai

Gumboot wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:49 pm Why do the Boks always name their side so early in the week?
Rassie use to wait till the last minute. NieNaber changed it. He look like coach planning in detail well in advange
boere wors

Gumboot wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:49 pm
Internally the team for saturday is named on Monday, so why bother waiting. Except for injuries Rassie doesnt change the match day 23 over the course of a year anyway. Rotation and giving game time to fringe players, i.e. building squad depth, are concepts he is estranged to...
Ymx

boere wors wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:47 am
Internally the team for saturday is named on Monday, so why bother waiting. Except for injuries Rassie doesnt change the match day 23 over the course of a year anyway. Rotation and giving game time to fringe players, i.e. building squad depth, are concepts he is estranged to...
So opposition don’t get as much time to configure the game plan against that team.
Chilli

Oh for goodness sake.
New Zealand by 50
England by 35
Wales by 20
Why are you even bothering the mocker gods?

The only game where the result is in question is Scotland vs Australia.
boere wors

Ymx wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:53 am
So opposition don’t get as much time to configure the game plan against that team.
You didnt get my sentiment here, there are no changes to personell, no changes in game plan anyway. You can prepare for what you will get weeks in advance.
Gumboot

boere wors wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:03 am
You didnt get my sentiment here, there are no changes to personell, no changes in game plan anyway. You can prepare for what you will get weeks in advance.
So no advantage at all in naming the team early.

Why do it then?
Raggs

Chilli wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:55 am Oh for goodness sake.
New Zealand by 50
England by 35
Wales by 20
Why are you even bothering the mocker gods?

The only game where the result is in question is Scotland vs Australia.
:lol: :lol: :clap: :clap:
Grandpa

Gumboot wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:46 am

Why do it then?
In soccer the team sheet comes out an hour before the game. Wonder why rugby is two days before?
OomStruisbaai

Why do it then?
To give Saffers like Sards enough time to moan about selections
sockwithaticket

Grandpa wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:28 am

Why do it then?
In soccer the team sheet comes out an hour before the game. Wonder why rugby is two days before?
I think it's primarily about giving the media something to fill column inches on.

It'd be quite fun to only find out who's been selected as the players run on to the pitch
Grandpa

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:45 am

Why do it then?
I think it's primarily about giving the media something to fill column inches on.

It'd be quite fun to only find out who's been selected as the players run on to the pitch
So that's why SA release it earlier... to give SA'n news outlets longer to write about the team?
sockwithaticket

Grandpa wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:00 am
sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:45 am

So that's why SA release it earlier... to give SA'n news outlets longer to write about the team?
I was answering the general thing of two days earlier, but that really could be it. You've seen the way our Saffer posters can go on at and with each other over almost nothing!
Paddington Bear

Have to say the idea of a coordinated Autumn Series with (just about) every game on the same platform is a cracking one. So much decent rugby and you can watch it all.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Sandstorm

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:03 am You've seen the way our Saffer posters can go on at and with each other over almost nothing!
No we don't!
Chilli

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:43 pm
sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:03 am You've seen the way our Saffer posters can go on at and with each other over almost nothing!
No we don't!
Yes, we do!
sockwithaticket

Shit, thread Saffa'd. Sorry, everyone.
Sandstorm

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:52 pm Shit, thread Saffa'd. Sorry, everyone.
:lol:
handyman

OomStruisbaai wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:29 am

Why do it then?
To give Saffers like Sards enough time to moan about selections
And boere wors, who is gaining on sards, fast.
Springboks, Stormers and WP supporter.
Grandpa

Where is Sards? Has he stopped posting?

I liked his views... his enthusiasm was more tempered than most. :grin:
OomStruisbaai

Grandpa wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:22 pm Where is Sards? Has he stopped posting?

I liked his views... his enthusiasm was more tempered than most. :grin:
The Stormers good performance in the URC made him flounce
laurent

From the french selected players the following go back to their clubs

Les 14 joueurs laissés à la disposition des clubs:

- Alexandre BECOGNEE (Montpellier Herault Rugby, 1 sélection)
- Dylan CRETIN (LOU Rugby, 10 sélections)
- Ibrahim DIALLO (Racing 92, 1 sélection)
- Killian GERACI (LOU Rugby, 3 sélections)
- Bernard LE ROUX (Racing 92, 47 sélections)
- Thierry PAIVA (Union Bordeaux Bègles, 0 sélection)
- Florent VANVERBERGHE (Castres Olympique, 0 sélection)
- Romain BUROS (Union Bordeaux Bègles, 0 sélection)
- Brice DULIN (Stade Rochelais, 36 sélections)
- Antoine HASTOY (Section Paloise, 1 sélection)
- Yoram MOEFANA (Union Bordeaux Bègles, 2 sélections)
- Vincent RATTEZ (Montpellier Herault Rugby, 8 sélections)
- Donovan TAOFIFENUA (Racing 92, 0 sélection)
- Tani VILI (ASM Clermont Auvergne, 0 sélection)

The group
Ymx

What do you mean by this?

Won’t be playing in the Autumn Internationals at all?

If so, why is that? Or is it simply trimming down the squad based on selection.
laurent

Ymx wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:31 pm What do you mean by this?

Won’t be playing in the Autumn Internationals at all?

If so, why is that? Or is it simply trimming down the squad based on selection.
Just for this week end the group is large (42 players) they may not play at all so back to their clubs
Ymx

Paddington Bear wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:35 pm Have to say the idea of a coordinated Autumn Series with (just about) every game on the same platform is a cracking one. So much decent rugby and you can watch it all.
Yes, it’s a mega course feast we have in store for us.