Your All Blacks squad vs Ireland

Where goats go to escape
Gumboot

My predictions fwiw. The list will no doubt grow in the coming weeks.

Bailyn Sullivan
Zarn Sullivan
Folau Fakatava
Tamaiti Williams
Ollie Norris
Sam Darry
Last edited by Gumboot on Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan54

Gumboot wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:45 am My predictions fwiw. The list will no doubt grow in the coming weeks.

Bailyn Sullivan
Zarn Sullivan
Folau Fakatava
Tamaiti Williams
Ollie Norris
Sam Darry
Geez Gumboot, I think Fakatava (if they can fix his eligibilty), and maybe at a push Norris, but don't think Bailyn Sullivan will ever do it, and rest probably a couple of years away.
Much as I like Zarn Sullivan, he not going to knock Jordie , DMac, or Will Jordan out of 15 spot just yet. Tamaiti Williams looks a huge fella with heaps of promise, but will I think still not even start for Crusaders a hell of a lot this year.
I actually srruggling to think of any debutants this year, unless this RTS chacter is as good as some are saying.
Gumboot

Dan54 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:30 pmGeez Gumboot, I think Fakatava (if they can fix his eligibilty), and maybe at a push Norris, but don't think Bailyn Sullivan will ever do it, and rest probably a couple of years away.
Much as I like Zarn Sullivan, he not going to knock Jordie , DMac, or Will Jordan out of 15 spot just yet. Tamaiti Williams looks a huge fella with heaps of promise, but will I think still not even start for Crusaders a hell of a lot this year.
I actually srruggling to think of any debutants this year, unless this RTS chacter is as good as some are saying.
I rate the Sullivan brothers very highly, Dan. Only question for me is which bro makes the ABs first. Reckon Zarn's best position may be 10, but if we move Jordie to 12 (not entirely against the idea tbh) we may need another big fullback with a powerful boot.

But yeah, I'm really not that fussed about any of the others as long as Fakatava gets capped.
Ymx

Are we talking about squad or caps?
Gumboot

Ymx wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:56 pm Are we talking about squad or caps?
In Fakatava's case, if he's eligible we need to cap him asap. He's a superstar in the making.
Guy Smiley

Dan54 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:30 pm
Gumboot wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:45 am My predictions fwiw. The list will no doubt grow in the coming weeks.

Bailyn Sullivan
Zarn Sullivan
Folau Fakatava
Tamaiti Williams
Ollie Norris
Sam Darry
Geez Gumboot, I think Fakatava (if they can fix his eligibilty), and maybe at a push Norris, but don't think Bailyn Sullivan will ever do it, and rest probably a couple of years away.
Fakatava's case is interesting. WR have changed the eligibility requirements for 'immigrant selection' but NZR may be able to apply for an exemption as he was in line for selection when he was injured. I hope they can work something out, he's an absolute jet and it's a matter of when, not if.

I like the look of Zarn Sullivan but I haven't watched enough of him or the others to have an inkling of their chances. Tamaiti Williams will start more games this year as opposed to coming off the bench, but his sheer size and athletic ability certainly helps him.
Ymx

Gumboot wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:14 pm
In Fakatava's case, if he's eligible we need to cap him asap. He's a superstar in the making.
I missed the highlanders game. Did he play?

I thought Foster missed a trick and should have capped him for 5 mins at the end of the US game. Not doing anything but standing on the sideline. Just so we aren’t left with him unable to play this year, which is what I think will happen.
Gumboot

Ymx wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:51 pm

I thought Foster missed a trick and should have capped him for 5 mins at the end of the US game. Not doing anything but standing on the sideline. Just so we aren’t left with him unable to play this year, which is what I think will happen.
Ymx, you may be thinking of another player - Fakatava missed a big chunk of last year with a torn ACL and hasn't made the ABs...yet. I've no doubt he would've been on the EOYT if he'd been fit. No disrespect to Perenara, Weber and Christie, but I'd pick Fakatava ahead of any of them.
Dan54

Gumboot wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:07 pm

Ymx, you may be thinking of another player - Fakatava missed a big chunk of last year with a torn ACL and hasn't made the ABs...yet. I've no doubt he would've been on the EOYT if he'd been fit. No disrespect to Perenara, Weber and Christie, but I'd pick Fakatava ahead of any of them.
Don't think that disrespecting those other players Gumboot, it's just Fakatava has so many upsides.
I personally see him and Xaviar Roe as our 1-2 punch in ABs in future years.
Jb1981

No room for Leicester Fainga'anuku in the long list in the OP?
Gumboot

Jb1981 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:33 am No room for Leicester Fainga'anuku in the long list in the OP?
Nope.
Jb1981

Gumboot wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:46 am
Jb1981 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:33 am No room for Leicester Fainga'anuku in the long list in the OP?
Nope.
But he’s the thinking man’s Caleb Clarke.
Guy Smiley

Jb1981 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:26 am
Gumboot wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:46 am
Nope.
But he’s the thinking man’s Caleb Clarke.
People are seriously proposing Clarke in the midfield for the ABs.

Fainga'anuku has at least played there... and done bloody well.

I think he's definitely an option for the ABs as a wing / centre cover. Let Rieko go back to the wing wherehe belongs and bring some serious heft infield,which a lot of people think we need. I'm not convinced of theneed myself... but it would be fun to see.
Ymx

No, I know the situation with him being out the whole season. I was more meaning being very snecky. Hence the 5 mins in the game for his cap, and avoiding all contact. To spite the ridiculous situation.
Grandpa

Ymx wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:38 am

No, I know the situation with him being out the whole season. I was more meaning being very snecky. Hence the 5 mins in the game for his cap, and avoiding all contact. To spite the ridiculous situation.
I agree YMX. Not sure why they didn't fly him over to guarantee his elegibility a year earlier.

I'm also a fan of Leicester... and I know it's not popular but Rieko is getting better and better at centre. If he's the rapier, just need a bludgeon to complement him at 12. Clarke may have the physical attributes, but would take a few seasons for him to used to that role if the Blues pick him there...

And if Wayne Smith says ALB is your man.. play him there consistently so both 10 and 13 get used to him ..
Gumboot

Ah right, gotcha. :thumbup:
Gumboot

Mark Reason's taken aim at the ABs props, which prompted me to dredge this up from last year...
Gumboot wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:27 pm
Certain Navigator wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:23 am
Gumboot wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:52 pmAidan Ross has joined the squad as injury cover for Karl T, who has a shoulder problem.

I was disappointed with our starting front row last night. Bower was OK, but Taylor and Laulala didn't play very well at all, imho. De Groot was good when he came on...I hope Moli can make it back into the squad at some stage...reckon it might be time for a serious review of our core propping contingent - Moody, Ofa, Laulala, Karl, Ta'avao - coz as things stand our fatties are well down the international pecking order. Too harsh?
Given that Moody is currently injured and therefore not playing, it does seem excessively harsh on him. Along with Bower, who's developing nicely, deGroot, who's definitely promising, and possibly even Ross, the ABs' loosehead stocks are fine. The problems, and they are big, are at tighthead. Franks may well have been jettisoned too soon.
Yeah, unfair on Moody who's been our best performing prop in recent years. Angus is playing pretty well I guess, but the others? Meh. I'm impatient to see Moli back, De Groot get lots of game time this year, and hopefully Te Maiti Williams will continue his excellent progress and be in the mix by 2023. But you're dead right about tighthead - that's a big concern.
I'm now pretty much convinced it's time to "rotate out" most of our current propping stock, regardless of their Supe form this year.
Dan54

Grandpa wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:26 am

I agree YMX. Not sure why they didn't fly him over to guarantee his elegibility a year earlier.

I'm also a fan of Leicester... and I know it's not popular but Rieko is getting better and better at centre. If he's the rapier, just need a bludgeon to complement him at 12. Clarke may have the physical attributes, but would take a few seasons for him to used to that role if the Blues pick him there...

And if Wayne Smith says ALB is your man.. play him there consistently so both 10 and 13 get used to him ..
Don't really agree with flying Fakatava over and putting him on field to circumnavigate the rules, but that's just me.
The rest Grandpa I tend to agree with, I also think Reiko is getting better at 13, and can see the extra speed being pretty good there. We got Jordan, Clarke, Reece, Leicester etc for wings so can see the idea of Reiko being at 13, especially if he keeps coming on during super season.
Gumboot

Highlanders halfback Folau Fakatava has been given the green light to be selected for the All Blacks in their series against Ireland in July, Stuff understands.
Woohoo!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Guy Smiley

Came here to post the same....

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all ... is-settled
Highlanders halfback Folau Fakatava has been given the green light to be selected for the All Blacks in their series against Ireland in July, Stuff understands.

Tongan-born Fakatava had been the curious position of being deemed ineligible for the All Blacks in 2022, despite having been eligible to play for them since late 2020 and throughout 2021, due to World Rugby shifting from a three-year residential period for test eligibility to a five-year period.

That was deemed “an anomaly” by New Zealand Rugby Players’ Association chief executive Rob Nichol, but Stuff has been told by multiple sources that World Rugby approved New Zealand Rugby’s request to have Folau's eligibility restored at recent high-level meetings in Dublin.

Stuff has approached Fakatava’s agent for comment.

Fakatava moved to New Zealand when he was 16, although the eligibility clock only starts ticking when a player turns 18.

Under the three-year World Rugby rules, that initially made Fakatava eligible for the All Blacks in late 2020, while he also retained to the ability to play for Tonga.

Fakatava was in the All Blacks’ selection picture last year before an ACL injury ruined his season.
Ymx

Yes!
FalseBayFC

Fakatava is a gun! Looking forward to seeing him play. For a while now I've thought that the AB selectors have been confused and blinded by an embarrassment of riches. Dalton as openside after Sam C. Lord as backup to Sam Whitelock. Jordan on the wing with Rieko. Jordie at 15. Rather choose a team and stuck with it than constantly try and unearth the next McCaw, Cullen or Lomu. Lomu took a while to settle in at 12 as did Kaino at 6. The constant rotation and new guys are undermining what has always been an AB strength ie settled squad and trust in the squad by the coach.
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 5:36 am
Woohoo!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Yessssss!!!
Gumboot

FalseBayFC wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 am Fakatava is a gun! Looking forward to seeing him play. For a while now I've thought that the AB selectors have been confused and blinded by an embarrassment of riches. Dalton as openside after Sam C. Lord as backup to Sam Whitelock. Jordan on the wing with Rieko. Jordie at 15. Rather choose a team and stuck with it than constantly try and unearth the next McCaw, Cullen or Lomu. Lomu took a while to settle in at 12 as did Kaino at 6. The constant rotation and new guys are undermining what has always been an AB strength ie settled squad and trust in the squad by the coach.
For various reasons, a settled squad has been nigh on impossible to achieve over the past couple of years. There will be more changes this year - as there should be, given our recent test performances. I've posted my predicted newbies, and also said that I really don't care who else misses out as long as Fakatava makes it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the starting test XV at the end of this year is radically different from that at the end of last year. I bloody well hope so, tbh.

P.S. Lomu didn't play at 12.
Kiwias

Gumboot wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:34 am
FalseBayFC wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 am Fakatava is a gun! Looking forward to seeing him play. For a while now I've thought that the AB selectors have been confused and blinded by an embarrassment of riches. Dalton as openside after Sam C. Lord as backup to Sam Whitelock. Jordan on the wing with Rieko. Jordie at 15. Rather choose a team and stuck with it than constantly try and unearth the next McCaw, Cullen or Lomu. Lomu took a while to settle in at 12 as did Kaino at 6. The constant rotation and new guys are undermining what has always been an AB strength ie settled squad and trust in the squad by the coach.
For various reasons, a settled squad has been nigh on impossible to achieve over the past couple of years. There will be more changes this year - as there should be, given our recent test performances. I've posted my predicted newbies, and also said that I really don't care who else misses out as long as Fakatava makes it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the starting test XV at the end of this year is radically different from that at the end of last year. I bloody well hope so, tbh.

I certainly hope that we have a basically unchanged starting XV for the last 3~4 tests and that we stick to that in 2023, but doubt that it will turn out that way.
Flockwitt

Going back to the OP. IMHO Bailyn is not ready to play international 13. Difficult position and his defensive reads are like Reiko's a year ago. He'll need a couple of years yet of soup. Goodhue's looking reasonable on return and RTS is looking the goods. Ennor is still young with potential upside and Reiko is looking more at home at 13. Very tough to break into that crowd.

May seem an odd call but I'd favour RTS as right wing in the Skud mode. Play him there when the game at international level in the first half is as tight as.
Gumboot

Flockwitt wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:29 am Going back to the OP. IMHO Bailyn is not ready to play international 13. Difficult position and his defensive reads are like Reiko's a year ago. He'll need a couple of years yet of soup. Goodhue's looking reasonable on return and RTS is looking the goods. Ennor is still young with potential upside and Reiko is looking more at home at 13. Very tough to break into that crowd.

May seem an odd call but I'd favour RTS as right wing in the Skud mode. Play him there when the game at international level in the first half is as tight as.
Yep, I think you're right. The Sullivan brothers both need another year or two before being seriously considered, so that prediction was predictably way off the mark. And I like your RTS idea. Who's your pick at 11?
FalseBayFC

Yes of course. Brainfart. I meant Nonu. I'm getting to the stage when I mix up children's names with my mother's and sister's. Given the rotation policy and new blooding, the only certainties for a starting xv I can list if fit are Moodie, Taylor, BBR, Whitelock, Cane, Ardie (hard to include him and Sam in a starting loose trio) A Smith, Rieko (wing or centre) Mo/Beauden at 10.

Jordie/ Jordan, ALB, a host of props, locks and loosies, midfielders and wings are all ready and waiting. I don't think any debutants will make a difference. Bar Fakatava.
Gumboot

FalseBayFC wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:28 am

Yes of course. Brainfart. I meant Nonu. I'm getting to the stage when I mix up children's names with my mother's and sister's. Given the rotation policy and new blooding, the only certainties for a starting xv I can list if fit are Moodie, Taylor, BBR, Whitelock, Cane, Ardie (hard to include him and Sam in a starting loose trio) A Smith, Rieko (wing or centre) Mo/Beauden at 10.

Jordie/ Jordan, ALB, a host of props, locks and loosies, midfielders and wings are all ready and waiting. I don't think any debutants will make a difference. Bar Fakatava.
Maybe Norris as well...as my bolter. But we'll also have a healthy bunch of 2nd and 3rd year fringe ABs eager to overtake the test incumbents. If we don't embrace a generational shift this year I reckon we're fucked next year.
Flockwitt

Gumboot wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:50 am
Flockwitt wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:29 am Going back to the OP. IMHO Bailyn is not ready to play international 13. Difficult position and his defensive reads are like Reiko's a year ago. He'll need a couple of years yet of soup. Goodhue's looking reasonable on return and RTS is looking the goods. Ennor is still young with potential upside and Reiko is looking more at home at 13. Very tough to break into that crowd.

Yep, I think you're right. The Sullivan brothers both need another year or two before being seriously considered, so that prediction was predictably way off the mark. And I like your RTS idea. Who's your pick at 11?
Tough call. I still like Reiko at 11. But the court is out. Reiko does bring an extra attacking edge at 13 and he's becoming more comfortable there. Still thinking about it.
Gumboot

Yeah, if our midfield wasn't such a mess I'd say Rieko at 11, too. What about Roger at 11 and Reece at 14?
Gumboot

So with Moody out injured for the year and Karl Tu'inukuafe off to France, it seems like the perfect chance to blood another young loosehead or two this year. Ethan de Groot looks to be a keeper, but do we really want to be relying on the likes of Bower and Hodgman going into the next RWC?
Niegs

Gumboot wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:05 am Yeah, if our midfield wasn't such a mess I'd say Rieko at 11, too. What about Roger at 11 and Reece at 14?
Roger? Does he have winger speed?

What about Caleb?
Gumboot

Niegs wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:04 pm
Gumboot wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:05 am Yeah, if our midfield wasn't such a mess I'd say Rieko at 11, too. What about Roger at 11 and Reece at 14?

What about Caleb?
Clarke will probably get the nod, but I'm not a big fan.

RTS was definitely quick enough to play wing in league, and as Flockwitt suggested he has a great sidestep a la Milner-Skudder.

Edit: Found a bit of footage of a young RTS playing wing in union in 2011

Niegs

Gumboot wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:38 pm

What about Caleb?

RTS was definitely quick enough to play wing in league, and as Flockwitt suggested he has a great sidestep a la Milner-Skudder.
Just from the weekend's highlights, he didn't seem as rapid as he used to be (only one moment, sure, but go back to the first try and Heem, even, has greater acceleration).

Gumboot

Niegs wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:49 pm
Gumboot wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:38 pm

What about Caleb?

Just from the weekend's highlights, he didn't seem as rapid as he used to be (only one moment, sure, but go back to the first try and Heem, even, has greater acceleration).
Yep, he certainly lacks Rieko's top end gas. But he's played far more as an outside back than a 12, so he's clearly no slouch. Anyway, we're unlikely to see him on the wing in a test...I do kinda like the idea, though.
FalseBayFC

My scary AB backline.
A Smith
Richie Mo
RTS
Leicester
Rieko
Sevu
Will Jordan
Gumboot

FalseBayFC wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:49 am My scary AB backline.
A Smith
Richie Mo
RTS
Leicester
Rieko
Sevu
Will Jordan
Who's on your backs bench?
FalseBayFC

Gumboot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:51 am
FalseBayFC wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:49 am My scary AB backline.
A Smith
Richie Mo
RTS
Leicester
Rieko
Sevu
Will Jordan
Who's on your backs bench?
Fakatava, Beauden, TUJ, ALB, Bridge, Bailyn Sullivan, Jordie Barratt are my second string
Test bench: Fakatava, Beaudie, ALB
In next years RWC I would probably go with TJ Perenara as my number 2 scrumhalf. Purely for his experience. But Fakatava looks like the future to me.
Dan54

FalseBayFC wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:28 am

Yes of course. Brainfart. I meant Nonu. I'm getting to the stage when I mix up children's names with my mother's and sister's.
[/quote]

Welcome to my world FalseBay!
I used to think it was only my father who did that when he was alive, then found I had developed the same ability :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol: