Old Jobs That Don’t Exist

Where goats go to escape
Niegs

Who’d have guessed employee care back then!?

Torquemada 1420

Fascinating. :thumbup:
Chilli

A call center manager who is available to speak to.
FalseBayFC

I had a spinster aunt who was a typist for a building society. Not a secretary just a typist. Did it for 40 years.
Biffer

Fluffer
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
bok_viking

Switchboard Operators. I had an aunt who had this job and she absolutely loved it. She really did know most what when on in town in those days :lol:
Guy Smiley

My first paid job...slightly different cart to this, a squared holding tray with the crates 2 x 2. Early morning in the summer and afternoon in winter. Probably ran somewhere between 5-10km pushing those things every day at the age of 10 or so.

Niegs

I like this one... the lector. Reading to people while they work:

lemonhead

With those taches I'm struggling not to see a multiple photoshop.
geordie_6

Did some family history research recently which produced a number of people working in heavy industry/mining etc. Favourite job title to come out of it was "Puddler".
Torquemada 1420

Winston Churchill's bogey collector.
Niegs

geordie_6 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:02 pm Did some family history research recently which produced a number of people working in heavy industry/mining etc. Favourite job title to come out of it was "Puddler".
Mine's mostly 'farmer' / 'labourer' and 'dressmaker' (rare instances mention of a woman's profession), but there was one 'earthenware merchant' from Sheffield. Would have been fairly common then in that area, and not to today, I imagine? Another (his wife's father), a glass and china dealer from Stoke on Trent.
geordie_6

Niegs wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:53 pm
geordie_6 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:02 pm Did some family history research recently which produced a number of people working in heavy industry/mining etc. Favourite job title to come out of it was "Puddler".
Mine's mostly 'farmer' / 'labourer' and 'dressmaker' (rare instances mention of a woman's profession), but there was one 'earthenware merchant' from Sheffield. Would have been fairly common then in that area, and not to today, I imagine? Another (his wife's father), a glass and china dealer from Stoke on Trent.
Certainly makes sense, need something to eat off of if you're going to make all that cutlery!
inactionman

I vaguely recall the first office I worked in had a tealady who carted a trolley round.
bogbunny

Caulker/burners in a shipyard.

They had arms like Popeye and totally deaf.
Blake

Knocker-Upper

Interesting 99% Invisible episode about time and knocker uppers
Glaston

My Grandfather was a Ceylon Coffee planter.

That country having a great deal of renown for its Coffee :lol:
Ovals

inactionman wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:10 pm I vaguely recall the first office I worked in had a tealady who carted a trolley round.
My 1st job was in the R&D Labs of a big Electronics factory - The tea trolley came around twice a day, 10.00 and 1500. Proper cup of tea and also served some delicious cakes. It was one of the highlights of the day - There were 8 'Bays' in the main factry and each had its own 'tea Lady' plus another one for the Admin Block - we had four (heavily subsidised) canteens - Staff, Senior Staff, Management, and Visitors. Approx 2500 employees on site when I started there.

There was also a very large 'typing pool' with about 30 ladies doing nothing but copy typing. You just put your copy in a large in-tray and picked it up the next day.
Kiwias

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:43 pm Winston Churchill's bogey collector.
:clap: :clap:
Kiwias

Guy Smiley wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:15 am My first paid job...slightly different cart to this, a squared holding tray with the crates 2 x 2. Early morning in the summer and afternoon in winter. Probably ran somewhere between 5-10km pushing those things every day at the age of 10 or so.

I started my run at 1AM and finished in time to get home to get change, have breakfast, then off to school.
Niegs

Ovals wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:16 pm
inactionman wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:10 pm I vaguely recall the first office I worked in had a tealady who carted a trolley round.
My 1st job was in the R&D Labs of a big Electronics factory - The tea trolley came around twice a day, 10.00 and 1500. Proper cup of tea and also served some delicious cakes. It was one of the highlights of the day - There were 8 'Bays' in the main factry and each had its own 'tea Lady' plus another one for the Admin Block - we had four (heavily subsidised) canteens - Staff, Senior Staff, Management, and Visitors. Approx 2500 employees on site when I started there.

There was also a very large 'typing pool' with about 30 ladies doing nothing but copy typing. You just put your copy in a large in-tray and picked it up the next day.
Reminds me of hearing of wartime and post-war services for employees that seemed to disappear and are only just returning under the new 'wellness' focus. One was an elderly woman saying she worked in a big factory that had swimming for employees and even supplied a bathing costume and towel to poor people like her who couldn't afford.

There's an old factory in a town near where I was last year that also had a pool, really nice building across the street that still stands. But the pool has been removed and the building houses offices now.
It is still located across the street from the Beatty Brothers Ltd. factory, which was influential in the development of Fergus as early as 1874. Owners George and Matthew Beatty began manufacturing farm equipment at the factory, and were leading employers in the community. When a drowning occurred in the local Grand River, the Beatty family supported the construction of a community pool, built by their employees, as a safer alternative. Its doors opened on July 7, 1930 and provided generations of Fergus residents with a place to swim and develop their skills. Steam from the Beatty factory heated the pool during the winter months.
Guy Smiley

Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:43 pm I started my run at 1AM and finished in time to get home to get change, have breakfast, then off to school.
:shock:

Holy shit that's hard core. We had 3 of us running and one boy on the sidestep of the truck. They'd do a run that way and restock us at certain points. I think we started around 5am from memory, took us about 2 hours.
Enzedder

Blake wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:52 pm Knocker-Upper

Interesting 99% Invisible episode about time and knocker uppers
Hmmmm. I would put my hand up to be a knock her upper
I drink and I forget things.
Kiwias

Guy Smiley wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:51 am
Kiwias wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:43 pm I started my run at 1AM and finished in time to get home to get change, have breakfast, then off to school.

Holy shit that's hard core. We had 3 of us running and one boy on the sidestep of the truck. They'd do a run that way and restock us at certain points. I think we started around 5am from memory, took us about 2 hours.
It was just the two of us, the guy driving the truck who also jumped down and made deliveries to the door and me, on the cart. It was in central ChCh either side of Bealey Ave. I did it 3-4 days a week while at high school and used to finish at about 5:30AM. Toward the end, I used to drive the truck when the guv wanted a day off and actually sat my heavy duty license test with this truck after I had finished the run that day. It was still packed to the gills with crates and empty bottles, so the instructor was forced to take me on the easiest possible course.
Last edited by Kiwias on Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MungoMan

Glaston wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:55 pm My Grandfather was a Ceylon Coffee planter.

That country having a great deal of renown for its Coffee :lol:
To my shame, I did not know Sri Lanka was once a significant coffee producer until I visited there.
Guy Smiley

Kiwias wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:13 am

It was just the two of us, the guy driving the truck who also jumped down and made deliveries to the door and me, on the cart. It was in central ChCh either side of Bealey Ave. I did it 3-4 days a week while at high school and used to finish at about 5:30AM. Toward the end, I used to drive the truck when the gov wanted a day off and actually sat my heavy duty license test with this truck after I had finished the run that day. It was still packed to the gills with crates and empty bottles, so the instructor was forced to take me on the easiest possible course.
:lol:

I'm guessing early to mid 70s?

A magical time :lol:
Jb1981

Guy Smiley wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:56 am

It was just the two of us, the guy driving the truck who also jumped down and made deliveries to the door and me, on the cart. It was in central ChCh either side of Bealey Ave. I did it 3-4 days a week while at high school and used to finish at about 5:30AM. Toward the end, I used to drive the truck when the gov wanted a day off and actually sat my heavy duty license test with this truck after I had finished the run that day. It was still packed to the gills with crates and empty bottles, so the instructor was forced to take me on the easiest possible course.

My dad tells some good stories from the milk round in eastern Christchurch in what I would guess would be the late 60s/early 70s. Stories of flooded streets and chasing a guy through Bromley Cemetery after finding him harassing a young lady - that type of thing.

Bring back milk tokens, glass bottles and vigilante milkmen I say.
Kiwias

Guy Smiley wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:56 am

69~72. Everything was so totally relaxed and easy back in them good ol' days :grin:
Guy Smiley

Jb1981 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:08 am
Bring back milk tokens, glass bottles and vigilante milkmen I say.
:lol: :thumbup:
Kiwias

Jb1981 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:08 am Bring back milk tokens, glass bottles and vigilante milkmen I say.
:clap: :grin: :razz:
Slick

Niegs wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:53 pm
We have had an interesting one come up that we are trying to do more research into.

On my family tree there is a female relative who worked as a domestic servant in the 1800's in a large house on Candlemaker Row in Edinburgh. On my wife's side one of her relatives owned a large house on Candlemaker Row in exactly the same period. Candlemaker Row is not a big street at all so a decent chance she worked for or they knew each other which is a bit mental.
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
C69

Ethics advisor to the Tory Party.
Last edited by C69 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hlvp

inactionman

My relatives on my dad's side are mostly east end of London, mainly Stevedores. I checked the 1901 census and one of my distant relatives in Whitechapel had the job title of 'Horse Renderer'.

Breaking your back lugging sacks out of ships or burning your lungs out making glue - pretty glad my grandad became a factory worker.
Thor Sedan

What countries still have petrol pump attendants?

NZ used to have them - but no more. Last time I went to SA they were still in operation.
Guy Smiley

Thor Sedan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:31 pm What countries still have petrol pump attendants?

NZ used to have them - but no more. Last time I went to SA they were still in operation.
I pulled into an all night fuel stop 4 hours north of Bangkok at 3am the other night and it was staffed by two girls.
ASMO

Guy Smiley wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:34 pm
Thor Sedan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:31 pm What countries still have petrol pump attendants?

I pulled into an all night fuel stop 4 hours north of Bangkok at 3am the other night and it was staffed by two girls.
Q1 - You sure thy were girls?

Q2 Did they not offer to "clean your windscreen" for you?
Guy Smiley

ASMO wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:43 pm
Guy Smiley wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:34 pm

Q1 - You sure thy were girls?

Q2 Did they not offer to "clean your windscreen" for you?
I dunno how that would have gone down with the wife and FiL :lol:
average joe

Yes we still have petrol pump attendants, cashiers and baggers at grocery stores. With an unemployment rate of 34.9% I doubt we'll ever drop some outdated vocations.
Niegs

I'm not sure if Covid would have done away with that here in Canada, but I have still had people pump gas in privately owned stations in recent years. First Nations reserves, especially, giving an extra person a job, it seems... and that's after things opened up, so is still going on in small pockets here.