Blues versus Chiefs Match Thread

Where goats go to escape
Jimmy Smallsteps

FujiKiwi wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:02 pm
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:58 pm
FujiKiwi wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:56 pm But seriously, I agree Beauden at 10 isn't the answer. I'd start Black.
He's injured. It's probably the right call to start Barrett at this level, but the likes of the know nothing cunt Devlin wanking himself into a frenzy gives me the shits.
Black's on the bench. What is he on the bench for if he's injured?

Plummer can cover 10 if necessary. Having Plummer, Black and Barrett all in the 23 seems a bit odd.
Yeah, my read is it's precautionary. I don't mind Barrett at 10 at Super level, of course he's capable, but he's not a test ABs 10s ring to me.

He's the Blues 10 in the same way Carlos was.

And the All Blacks 10 the same way Carlos was.
Turbster

I think you're being tough on BB saying he's "no good," at 10. He was World Player of the Year, twice at 10 wasn't he? It's a good Blues lineup. I didn't think Plummer has done much wrong at 12, but Faiane is more experienced.
For the Chiefs, it's a brave call to keep Trask at 10, but could pay off in the future. I think he could do with a better 12 next to him, and to that end, I would have ALB at 12 and Tupaea at 13.. Alamalo though, looked totally disinterested last week, yet starts this week. Go figure!
Gumboot

Turbster wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:05 pm I think you're being tough on BB saying he's "no good," at 10. He was World Player of the Year, twice at 10 wasn't he? It's a good Blues lineup. I didn't think Plummer has done much wrong at 12, but Faiane is more experienced.
For the Chiefs, it's a brave call to keep Trask at 10, but could pay off in the future. I think he could do with a better 12 next to him, and to that end, I would have ALB at 12 and Tupaea at 13.. Alamalo though, looked totally disinterested last week, yet starts this week. Go figure!
Likewise. Tupaea looks like he could develop into something special, imho.
FujiKiwi

Tupaea will probably grow into something special, but I haven't quite got the hype about him that I've seen on the boreds so far. It hasn't been a comp for scintillating midfield play (The Canes effort last week aside). He's been solid in defense and distribution, that's about it.
Gumboot

FujiKiwi wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:34 am Tupaea will probably grow into something special, but I haven't quite got the hype about him that I've seen on the boreds so far. It hasn't been a comp for scintillating midfield play (The Canes effort last week aside). He's been solid in defense and distribution, that's about it.
OK, well I haven't seen much hype, but then again this is the only rugby chat site I bother with. Not saying he's setting the comp on fire, but I reckon there's something about him that's worth keeping an eye on in future.
Auckman

BB be thou our vision and pace tomorrow. We need a win.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Auckman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:24 pm BB be thou our vision and pace tomorrow. We need a win.
Gatland will have the Chiefs loosies living in his pocket.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Turbster wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:05 pm I think you're being tough on BB saying he's "no good," at 10. He was World Player of the Year, twice at 10 wasn't he? It's a good Blues lineup. I didn't think Plummer has done much wrong at 12, but Faiane is more experienced.
One of those gongs was fair enough while the other was a complete joke.

And both were awarded before opposition coaches worked out that if you employed a rush defence, he was fucked.
Monkey Magic

Regarding BB, interesting listening to Parsons on the old talksport.

Basically eyeing up pari pari Parkinson, Quentin strange in second row. But also pretty adamant that BB still head and shoulders best player in NZ and will and should be in all blacks starting lineup.

Also interesting how much respect he had for how Mo'unga ripped the blues apart in the last quarter of their match
terangi48

TAB have Blues at $1.38........Chiefs at $2.35.......

It's narrower than I thought........Chiefs to run down the Blues today? Double your money.........
Enzedder

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:39 pm If Gatland has any brains, and I know he does, he says to Cane, the loose forward trio, ALB and co to harry Barrett at every opportunity.

Not a single break. Hit him, and hit him hard. Pressure every run, pressure every kick.

That will be half the game right there.

I don't rate Beaudy at 10 against decent opposition, but I do rate Beaudy at 10 with space.
Shit, talk about covering your bets Coogee style.
I drink and I forget things.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Enzedder wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:46 am
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:39 pm If Gatland has any brains, and I know he does, he says to Cane, the loose forward trio, ALB and co to harry Barrett at every opportunity.

Not a single break. Hit him, and hit him hard. Pressure every run, pressure every kick.

I don't rate Beaudy at 10 against decent opposition, but I do rate Beaudy at 10 with space.
Not really, Enz.

Barrett is quite a different player against the Wallabies giving him all the time in the world in Sydney (I wuz there), than he is against the British and Irish Lions employing a rush defence.
the cursed

how good is afternoon rugby..should be more of it

:thumbup:
FujiKiwi

Hallelujah. Well worked Blues try.
Enzedder

the cursed wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:39 am how good is afternoon rugby..should be more of it

That bloody sun is a curse (for us)
the cursed

Enzedder wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:42 am
the cursed wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:39 am how good is afternoon rugby..should be more of it

That bloody sun is a curse (for us)
might be a blessing come second half
Wild Beef

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:54 am

Not really, Enz.

Barrett is quite a different player against the Wallabies giving him all the time in the world in Sydney (I wuz there), than he is against the British and Irish Lions employing a rush defence.
The same lions that mounga also struggled against?
FujiKiwi

Ohhhh.... yes. Blues try. 12-0 conversion to come.

Un Blues-like precision there. Leon “Rangitoto” MacDonald working wonders.

EDIT:14-0
the cursed

Blues have started with a lot of intensity, Barrett made some good straight runs. 14-0 Blues, 15 mins gone
FujiKiwi

Chiefs strike back. Another great game.
Not_Couch

Chiefs look clueless with ball in hand, it's like Gatland wants them to play just like Wales
Cullen

Fucken ground announcers playing ‘Uptown Girl’ at an injury break.
Surely we have moved on from this
Auckman

Need more ball and less penalties
FujiKiwi

Yeah, Blues showing staunch defense but poor discipline and brain explosions on attack.

Chiefs don't seem to be able to turn possession and position into points.
Enzedder

Chiefs made most of the play in the last 30 minutes but dumb errors and a couple of pedantic calls kept us out.

The two tries were well taken but again, could have been stopped early
dkm57

nice try, pity he buggered his shoulder.
FujiKiwi

So frustrating to see Blues committing suicidal penalties. Just brainless.
Enzedder

dkm57 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:40 am nice try, pity he buggered his shoulder.
Huge thuggery assist though. No need for the defender to flop onto him after he'd scored. I hope there's some karma
dkm57

Both sides making dumb mistakes, makes it interesting though. Almost worth the insomnia.
Akkerman

how do you not score there
gatland out
FujiKiwi

ALB is pissed. I didn’t quite catch what happened there at the end.
Auckman

STILL ALIVE!!!
FujiKiwi

Yeah, but the Blues performance was a labored mess for a lot of that game.
Zig

Exciting finish to that game.

Come on the Blues!
Jimmy Smallsteps

Wild Beef wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:45 am
Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:54 am

Not really, Enz.

The same lions that mounga also struggled against?
Mo'unga goes a shit ton better against toit defences than Barrett does.

Mainly because he plays the percentages while Barrett just shovels it on.
Wild Beef

Just pointing out that using the lions as your reference was ill advised. If ever Hansen had justification for his rolls Royce comment, it was the lions dismantling the crusaders.

Thankfully mounga has come a long way since then.
Gumboot

That was Akira's best game in blue. I thought the Blues would struggle through the rest of the comp without Robinson and Sotutu but Ioana and Papali'i have really stepped up.
Jimmy Smallsteps

Wild Beef wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:23 am Just pointing out that using the lions as your reference was ill advised. If ever Hansen had justification for his rolls Royce comment, it was the lions dismantling the crusaders.

Thankfully mounga has come a long way since then.
What a strange comment, considering that Barrett also played against the Lions, was also dominated, yet behind a better pack.

The 2017 Lions series proved to most knowledgeable rugby fans that Barrett wasn't in fact the new messiah, he was just a naughty boy.
FujiKiwi

Gumboot wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:28 am That was Akira's best game in blue. I thought the Blues would struggle through the rest of the comp without Robinson and Sotutu but Ioana and Papali'i have really stepped up.
Gerard Cowley-Tuioti also had a great game.

All the Blues forwards went well, and won the game with thundering defense.

But the Blues backs were ineffective, and dare I say it, boring?
Jimmy Smallsteps

Barrett is in trouble if he keeps being so vocal about being a 10.

In the match interview today, Blues assistant coach Tom Coventry noted Barrett had been quite forthright in favouring 10 as his best position.

The issue there is that Mo'unga is a far superior 10, while Barrett is actually quite an enticing 15. If he's not prepared to play there, then I'm not sure the All Blacks can afford to carry a guy unhappy about playing anywhere but 10.

His play today reminded me why he's so much better suited to 15. Every time he awkwardly shovelled it on, and neglected to pin the Chiefs to the corners, reminded me why Barrett tends to go better at the back.

Five years since he scored the match winning try at the Rugby World Cup, I'm not convinced Beauden Barrett has moved on from being the All Blacks super sub.