Blues versus Chiefs Match Thread

Where goats go to escape
FujiKiwi

Jimmy Smallsteps wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:00 am Barrett is in trouble if he keeps being so vocal about being a 10.

In the match interview today, Blues assistant coach Tom Coventry noted Barrett had been quite forthright in favouring 10 as his best position.

The issue there is that Mo'unga is a far superior 10, while Barrett is actually quite an enticing 15. If he's not prepared to play there, then I'm not sure the All Blacks can afford to carry a guy unhappy about playing anywhere but 10.

His play today reminded me why he's so much better suited to 15. Every time he awkwardly shovelled it on, and neglected to pin the Chiefs to the corners, reminded me why Barrett tends to go better at the back.

Five years since he scored the match winning try at the Rugby World Cup, I'm not convinced Beauden Barrett has moved on from being the All Blacks super sub.
It makes for a boring thread, but I agree with you.

Cruden looked far more likely to spark something today than Beauden did.
JM2K6

Crikey. I just watched this and thought it was BB's best game in ages. He really seemed a threat on the gainline and we saw plenty of the old magic offloads, too. I don't think it's any coincidence that Reiko was so prominent.

Not sure about the Chiefs mouthing off to the ref at the end there. If they were salty about the touchline turnover, which was impossible to tell via TV, they got lucky with the ruck immediately before with blatant sealing off (something the ref missed a lot of, sadly).

Blues discipline was pretty poor. I also didn't think Akira was particularly good and they really miss Hoskins' workrate and impact. Tuipolotu was immense, defensively they're the team that Gatland dearly wishes the Chiefs were, and they keep it going for 80 minutes, but they're nowhere near how good they were earlier in the tournament. Telea's looked pretty lousy in the last few games and Clarke's dropped off a bit from his bombshell opening too.
Biffer

Barrett May also be aware that now he’s lost the AB 10 shirt, he’s worth more money in France as a 10 than as a 15. Must be looking at that big cash deal for his next contract.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
Biffer

JM2K6 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:39 am
Not sure about the Chiefs mouthing off to the ref at the end there. If they were salty about the touchline turnover, which was impossible to tell via TV, they got lucky with the ruck immediately before with blatant sealing off
Whining at the ref is a feature of Gatland teams.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?