Boxing thread

Where goats go to escape
Tichtheid

Enzedder wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:31 pm Holy crap - some said by just 3 pints - with 4 knockdowns.

It usually takes me more than 3 pints for the 4 knockdowns right enough

(soz)
Big D

Enzedder wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:31 pm Holy crap - some said by just 2 points - with 4 knockdowns.
Thought Parker won more comfortably than any of the judges scored. For them to to give Parker 6 and 7 rounds was harsh.
Big D

Gumboot wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:33 pm Kudos to Chisora for hanging on.

That was the best Parker's boxed in a long time.

Enjoyed that.
He's potentially the best of the rest outside the top 4, although Whyte might dispute that. He's going to need to fight the likes of Joyce, Ortiz etc for the next few to work his way back to contention.
Enzedder

The judges have copped it a bit - especially the one who felt that Chisora had won more rounds and the knockdowns were the difference

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sp ... ek-chisora
I drink and I forget things.
sefton

The scoring was a disgrace, British judges are the new Germans.
Big D

sefton wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:47 am The scoring was a disgrace, British judges are the new Germans.
One of them was German IIRC. The other Italian.
Big D

Junior not having to do much here but looking reasonable enough.

Not a great look for Williams being dropped by a jab.

Hopefully he can put Junior under pressure in the second half.
Big D

It is going to end up closer than it perhaps should be.

Not sure RJJ and got his man's tactics right here in the second half of the fight.
Big D

Odd fight really.

Junior was coasting behind those three 10-8 rounds looking to pick up rounds by picking shots but Williams probably won rounds though volume.

Don't know what Williams was complaining around in the last round, you need to knock him out, go get him.
Big D

Two of the worst recent robberies in.boxinf judging has happened in favour of Scottish boxers.

Horrible decision.

Taylor is done at that weight.
Oxbow

Absolute fucking robbery, makes me want to stop watching boxing.
Blackmac

Oxbow wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:36 pm Absolute fucking robbery, makes me want to stop watching boxing.
You don't take an undisputed title by losing the last 5 rounds. Catterall won 6 of the first 7 but then totally took his foot of the gas and tried to see out the fight. He also should have had more than one point deducted. The point deduction against Taylor was nonsense as well.

Anyone suggesting that was one of the worst travesties in boxing hasn't been watching a lot of boxing over the last 30 years.
notfatcat

Blackmac wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:10 am
Oxbow wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:36 pm Absolute fucking robbery, makes me want to stop watching boxing.
You don't take an undisputed title by losing the last 5 rounds. Catterall won 6 of the first 7 but then totally took his foot of the gas and tried to see out the fight. He also should have had more than one point deducted. The point deduction against Taylor was nonsense as well.

Anyone suggesting that was one of the worst travesties in boxing hasn't been watching a lot of boxing over the last 30 years.
I guess if Taylor had punched Catterall in the face a lot more, and had stayed up instead of being knocked down, and Catterall hadn't punched Taylor in the face quite so much then no one would be questioning the decision.
Chris Jack, 67 test All Black - "I was voted most useless and laziest cunt in the English Premiership two years on the trot"
Blackmac

notfatcat wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:25 am

I guess if Taylor had punched Catterall in the face a lot more, and had stayed up instead of being knocked down, and Catterall hadn't punched Taylor in the face quite so much then no one would be questioning the decision.
Taylor was the poorest I have ever seen him and I personally thought Catterall won the fight, but I'm not overly surprised at the decision. He could have put the decision out of sight but didn't, coasted and paid the penalty. Shit happens.
Crash669

Got to disagree with you there, especially on the point deduction. Taylor was responsible for much of the holding and niggle but I still don't think either fighter should have had their deductions.

The fact that with Taylor's deduction no judge had catteral winning really is a robbery. It was a case of the crowd and the belts getting to the judges.

I've lost a lot of respect for Josh in that fight, both for how he went about it and his comments about a rematch. He'll be accused of ducking Catteral and rightly so, to the extent that if he goes to 146 now I think he'll be frozen out of the biggest fights. One thing's for sure, he's no Ken Buchanan.
Big D

For all the bravado, making the weight was clearly an issue and will only get worse and he was always moving up. There won't be a rematch and Taylor will move on and like boxers who have had dodgy decisions I doubt he'll worry too much.

There are plenty of fights at 147 for him even if he needs to win a couple before Spence Jnr/Crawford.

A dodgy decision doesn't take away the fact he was one of only 6 men to unify a division in the modern era.
Big D

Taylor was out landed 2 to 1 all fight and landed 6 in the last two rounds. Boxing is more nuanced than just shots landed but 6 in two rounds is poor.

Scorecards here:
Crash669

Big D wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:35 am Taylor was out landed 2 to 1 all fight and landed 6 in the last two rounds. Boxing is more nuanced than just shots landed but 6 in two rounds is poor.
A big problem is apparently ring generalship is conflated with aggression at the moment, leading to judges giving Taylor points for aimlessly coming forward, where catteral boxing off the backfoot is deemed passivity. It is of course total bullshit and promotes senseless boxing; Taylor would have been much better staying at range instead of plowing forward all the time.
Oxbow

I've watched a hell of a lot of boxing in the last 30 years and more, you're just plain wrong.
Big D

What a fight. Dramatic ending and hopefully Conlan is OK, it really didn't look good as there wasn't an obvious big shot that put him out.
Crash669

Big D wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:18 am What a fight. Dramatic ending and hopefully Conlan is OK, it really didn't look good as there wasn't an obvious big shot that put him out.
Well fuck me, I didn't stay up to watch it because I thought it was a foregone conclusion that conlan would outbox him. This is why I don't gamble.

Just watched some highlights - beautiful work to the body from wood, reminds me of Glenn Foot with the ability to drag a classier boxer into his sort of fight. Looked like he took conlan's legs away with those hooks to the midsection and then battered him into submission.

Fingers crossed for conlan he's not got career ending injuries after that. A knockout like that can take your punch resistance forever.
Blackmac

EnergiseR2 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:33 am The fixer for those fights is a massive knacker whose father is one of the biggest Dubai resident knacker drug importers in Europe. He kills with impunity and is a cünt. It's the reason these fights now get zero coverage in Ireland but for some reason the Brits continue to deal with Kinahan. It's pretty shameful stuff and sports washing at its finest. It's one thing the privately owned papers in the UK being all over it, they are obviously dodgy as fück with dodgy money in their veins but to see the BBC knowingly promote a fight run by the family of a known wholesale drug importing criminal is unbelievable really.

Bizarrely the BBC did a cracking documentary about 3 years ago on this very thing. Madness.
Big D

Crash669 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:11 am
Big D wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:18 am What a fight. Dramatic ending and hopefully Conlan is OK, it really didn't look good as there wasn't an obvious big shot that put him out.
Well fuck me, I didn't stay up to watch it because I thought it was a foregone conclusion that conlan would outbox him. This is why I don't gamble.

Just watched some highlights - beautiful work to the body from wood, reminds me of Glenn Foot with the ability to drag a classier boxer into his sort of fight. Looked like he took conlan's legs away with those hooks to the midsection and then battered him into submission.

Fingers crossed for conlan he's not got career ending injuries after that. A knockout like that can take your punch resistance forever.
I think that was it, Conlan just had nothing left. The shot that put him away wasn't especially heavy. Thought he wad hurt in the 11th before the knockdown.

Don't know what his corner were up to. He should have been on his bike boxing in the last 3 rounds but instead traded and got knocked out. He was up on all 3 cards going into the last.

He's been tweeting he's OK, but whether this changes him in the ring is only going to be known next few times he's in the ring.
Big D

Actually from this angle it was a decent punch that put him away.

Crash669

That's a better angle, ta. Slow from the ref though to get in, he was in the wrong position really, but how many fighters have to go over the ring before they extend the apron by a foot or so? Even happened at my last amateur bout, lad was out cold, went through the ropes and split the back of his head off the stool.
Big D

Crash669 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:57 am That's a better angle, ta. Slow from the ref though to get in, he was in the wrong position really, but how many fighters have to go over the ring before they extend the apron by a foot or so? Even happened at my last amateur bout, lad was out cold, went through the ropes and split the back of his head off the stool.
Yeah they need to do something.
ia801310

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy0713

April 11, 2022
WASHINGTON — Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated the Kinahan Organized Crime Group (KOCG) along with seven of its key members, including its Irish leaders Christopher Vincent Kinahan Senior, Daniel Joseph Kinahan, Christopher Vincent Kinahan Junior, and three associated businesses pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13581, “Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations,” as amended. Today’s action is the result of close collaboration between OFAC, the Drug Enforcement Administration, the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Ireland’s national police force (An Garda Síochána), the United Kingdom’s National Crime Agency, and the European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation.

“The Kinahan Organized Crime Group smuggles deadly narcotics, including cocaine, to Europe, and is a threat to the entire licit economy through its role in international money laundering,” said Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Brian E. Nelson. “Criminal groups like the KOCG prey on the most vulnerable in society and bring drug-related crime and violence, including murder, to the countries in which they operate. Treasury is proud to have coordinated so closely with our international counterparts, and the U.S. government will continue to use every available resource to dismantle these criminal networks.”

KINAHAN ORGANIZED CRIME GROUP
The KOCG, which operates in Ireland and is also established in the United Kingdom, Spain, and the United Arab Emirates, was designated as a significant transnational criminal organization. The KOCG emerged in the late 1990s and early 2000s as the most powerful organized crime group operating in Ireland. Since then, Irish courts have concluded that the KOCG is a murderous organization involved in the international trafficking of drugs and firearms. Criminal activities of the KOCG, including international money laundering, generate proceeds in the United Kingdom, which are then pooled together and passed to local criminals before being handed to Irish organized crime group members and laundered out of the United Kingdom. The KOCG also frequently uses Dubai as a facilitation hub for its illicit activities. Since February 2016, the KOCG has been involved in a gang war with another group in Ireland and Spain, resulting in numerous murders, including of two innocent bystanders.

THE KINAHAN FAMILY
Irish national Christopher Vincent Kinahan Senior (Christopher Sr.), currently based in Dubai, was designated for acting or purporting to act for or on behalf of, directly or indirectly, the KOCG. Demonstrative of a long history of criminality, Christopher Sr. has served prison sentences in Ireland, the Netherlands, and Belgium, including: six years for dealing heroin, two-and-a-half years for possession of cocaine, and four years for money laundering. During this time he was building a list of contacts that grew to what became known as the KOCG. Christopher Sr.’s sons, Daniel Kinahan and Christopher Jr., now manage his drug trafficking operations while Christopher Sr. oversees the property portions of the enterprise. For example, Christopher Sr. has registered a number of companies under aliases or using abbreviations of his name. Christopher Sr. has been known to have used false identity documents.

Irish national Daniel Joseph Kinahan (Daniel Kinahan), currently based in Dubai, was designated for acting or purporting to act for or on behalf of, directly or indirectly, the KOCG. Each member of the KOCG reports to Daniel Kinahan, who is believed to run the day-to-day operations of the organization. Daniel Kinahan has instructed KOCG members to send money to a variety of individuals serving prison sentences, including a person convicted of attempted murder on behalf of the KOCG, and an individual imprisoned for murder on behalf of the KOCG. Daniel Kinahan, who sources large quantities of cocaine from South America, plays an integral part in organizing the supply of drugs in Ireland, and is attempting to facilitate the importation of cocaine into the United Kingdom. Daniel Kinahan is known to have used false identity documents.

Irish national Christopher Vincent Kinahan Junior (Christopher Jr.), currently based in Dubai, was designated for materially assisting, sponsoring, or providing financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services to or in support of, the KOCG. Christopher Jr. regularly contributes to a fund that is used to pay KOCG members. Additionally, Christopher Jr. responds to directives from Daniel Kinahan and has collaborated with other members of the KOCG to transport and sell narcotics in the United Kingdom. Christopher Jr. was also caught travelling with a false identity document in Germany.

KINAHAN ASSOCIATES
Irish national Sean Gerard McGovern (Sean McGovern), currently based in Dubai, was designated for materially assisting, sponsoring, or providing financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services to or in support of, Daniel Kinahan. McGovern is Daniel Kinahan’s advisor and closest confidant, and evidence indicates that all dealings with Daniel Kinahan go through Sean McGovern. Sean McGovern also has managed communications on behalf of Daniel Kinahan, and he sells multi-kilogram quantities of cocaine.

Irish national Ian Thomas Dixon (Ian Dixon), currently based in Dubai, was designated for materially assisting, sponsoring, or providing financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services to or in support of, Daniel Kinahan. Ian Dixon has arranged multiple payments on behalf of Daniel Kinahan, as well as moved bulk currency on behalf of Daniel Kinahan in Ireland and the United Kingdom. Ian Dixon also oversees a fund on behalf of Daniel Kinahan and keeps track of money owed by a narcotics trafficker.

Irish national Bernard Patrick Clancy (Bernard Clancy), currently based in Dubai, was designated for materially assisting, sponsoring, or providing financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services to or in support of, the KOCG. Bernard Clancy is a key KOCG lieutenant, who, among other duties, is tasked by Daniel Kinahan with providing wages to elements within the KOCG and payments to others.

Irish national John Francis Morrissey (John Morrissey), currently based in Spain, was designated for materially assisting, sponsoring, or providing financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services to or in support of, the KOCG. John Morrissey has worked for the KOCG for several years, including as an enforcer, and facilitates international drug shipments for the organization from South America. John Morrissey is also involved in money laundering.

Nero Drinks Company Limited (Nero Drinks) is a UK-based alcoholic beverage company. Nero Drinks was designated for being owned or controlled by, directly or indirectly, John Morrissey. John Morrissey, who outwardly serves as the Nero Drinks’ brand ambassador, is heavily invested in Nero Drinks and has given a significant portion of the business to Daniel Kinahan to compensate for loads of drugs seized by law enforcement. John Morrissey controls and operates Nero Drinks through his wife, the primary shareholder, who is used as a frontperson for his interests.

Hoopoe Sports LLC (Hoopoe Sports) is a UAE-based sports management and advisory company. Hoopoe Sports was designated for being owned or controlled by, directly or indirectly, Ian Dixon. Ian Dixon is a 49 percent shareholder, and he also receives 80 percent of Hoopoe Sports’ profits. Ian Dixon is the sole manager of Hoopoe Sports and has full executive power over the company.

Ducashew General Trading LLC (Ducashew) is a UAE-based business management consulting company. Ducashew was designated for being owned or controlled by, directly or indirectly, Daniel Kinahan. Daniel Kinahan runs Ducashew through various individuals and is involved in its financial and business management.

SANCTIONS IMPLICATIONS
As a result of today’s action, all property and interests in property of the designated individuals or entities that are in the United States or in the possession or control of U.S. persons must be blocked and reported to OFAC. OFAC’s regulations generally prohibit all transactions by U.S. persons or persons within (or transiting) the United States that involve any property or interests in property of designated or otherwise blocked persons. U.S. persons may face civil or criminal penalties for violations of E.O. 13581 as amended or the Transnational Criminal Organizations Sanctions Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 590.

U.S. sanctions need not be permanent; sanctions are intended to bring about a positive change of behavior. Consistent with the findings of Treasury’s 2021 Sanctions Review, the removal of sanctions is available for persons designated under OFAC’s Transnational Criminal Organizations sanctions authorities who demonstrate a material change in behavior. For detailed information on the process to submit a request for removal from an OFAC sanctions list, please visit here and refer to OFAC’s Frequently Asked Question 897. Additional information regarding sanctions programs administered by OFAC can be found here.
sefton

But Tyson and Billie-Jo say they are just misunderstood.
Blackmac

Hopefully the yanks will put some pressure on the Saudis to pull the rug out from under their operation there.
Uncle fester

Beheading would be nice for them.
Crash669

MTK has ceased operations immediately, so that's one less money laundering operation in the world.

But Billy Joe says he's such a lovely fella...
Hugo

Fury saying that this fight will be his last. Hopefully that's not true.

Otherwise COVID, Wilder refusing to step aside & Joshua losing to Usyk conspired to deprive us of what would have been the biggest fight in British boxing history.

According to Hearn the Joshua-Usyk rematch is happening in July, most likely in Saudi Arabia.
FalseBayFC

Hugo wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:56 pm Fury saying that this fight will be his last. Hopefully that's not true.

Otherwise COVID, Wilder refusing to step aside & Joshua losing to Usyk conspired to deprive us of what would have been the biggest fight in British boxing history.

According to Hearn the Joshua-Usyk rematch is happening in July, most likely in Saudi Arabia.
Fury needs to be cancelled. He's a stooge of the Irish drug cartels and just happens to be a big but OK boxer in an incredibly weak division of an underwhelming heavyweight era. My only regret is that he'll never face a young Foreman or Frazier type.
'
ia801310

Crash669 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:29 pm MTK has ceased operations immediately, so that's one less money laundering operation in the world.

But Billy Joe says he's such a lovely fella...

https://mtkglobal.com/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/61164428

Comes after at least 1 boxer were being kicked off a fight card

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18316996 ... to-cacace/

Probellum now coming under scrutiny

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... nahan.html

Penalties for breaking sanctions are I imagine extremely harsh and the US govt considers even doing business abroad in US Dollars to be a breach of the sanctions.
FalseBayFC

So any Fury fight should be viewed under the lens of his involvement with an international mafia organization. No wonder his opponents went down so easily.
Hugo

FalseBayFC wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:12 pm
Hugo wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:56 pm Fury saying that this fight will be his last. Hopefully that's not true.

Fury needs to be cancelled. He's a stooge of the Irish drug cartels and just happens to be a big but OK boxer in an incredibly weak division of an underwhelming heavyweight era. My only regret is that he'll never face a young Foreman or Frazier type.
'
Nah, he is a very skilled boxer with an indefatigable mentality.
He beat Wilder twice in three epic fights on foreign turf and came back from some very bleak mental health problems.

Anyone can criticise from their armchair, he went out and did it.
FalseBayFC

Hugo wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:46 pm

'
He beat Wilder twice in three epic fights on foreign turf and came back from some very bleak mental health problems.

He has a size and reach advantage that's it. He moves and boxes adequately for a man of his size but he's only winning because of his size.
Tichtheid

FalseBayFC wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:13 pm
'

He has a size and reach advantage that's it. He moves and boxes adequately for a man of his size but he's only winning because of his size.

Boxing, and that division in particular, is all about using your advantages to beat your opponent and countering/nullifying where they are strong.

I don't follow the sport like I used to, but Fury is no worse, and much better, than a lot of the fighters I've seen over the forty odd years I've been watching.
Uncle fester

I'm always a bit suspicious of a winning boxer with a big ass spare tyre around his middle. How shit are the others that they can't beat this fatso?
FalseBayFC

Tichtheid wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:59 pm
FalseBayFC wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:13 pm

Boxing, and that division in particular, is all about using your advantages to beat your opponent and countering/nullifying where they are strong.

I don't follow the sport like I used to, but Fury is no worse, and much better, than a lot of the fighters I've seen over the forty odd years I've been watching.
The heavyweight division suddenly moved to having really tall fighters dominate. Klitshko, Fury, Wilder, Joshua are all rugby union lock sized average boxers. Doesn't make them great heavyweights or boxers. They're really just a new weight/height class which has very few contenders.