So, coronavirus...

Where goats go to escape
Clogs

Best avoided or get some?
Enzedder

I drink and I forget things.
Clogs

I have heard that Sweden is a hell hole with billions dead and dying each hour.
Ellafan

A statistical irrelevance in AU/NZ.

Not worth trashing the economy over, but its too late to undo the damage now.
Enzedder

Forget Covid - we have a new swine flu

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... us-in-pigs?
A new flu strain identified in pigs has the potential to infect humans - but experts say it's not an "immediate threat".

A seven-year study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences discovered a new H1N1 influenza virus in pigs in China called G4 EA H1N1.

Researchers from China and the UK said the virus had "all the essential hallmarks of a candidate pandemic virus" as it can grow and multiply in human cells.

It shares similarities with the 2009 swine flu, which killed an estimated 12,469 people in the United States between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Swine flu cases also spread to New Zealand in 2009.

The new virus is estimated to have emerged in 2016. Existing flu vaccines don't appear to have an effect on the strain.

The study found 10 per cent of farmers who were involved in the study had been infected. However, there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission, or proof that it could occur in the future.

Dr Jemma Geoghegan​, a virologist and senior lecturer from the University of Otago, noted there was no evidence the virus poses an "immediate threat" to humans.

"Pigs are an important reservoir host for influenza viruses where multiple viruses might first 'mix' in pigs, creating new viruses that then jump to humans.

"However, the news that the next viral pandemic will be caused by a new virus found in pigs might be a little premature."

Pigs are considered intermediate hosts for pandemic influenza viruses, and surveillance of such viruses is required to pre-warn "the emergence of the next pandemic influenza", the researchers wrote.

Geoghegan thought it important to continue monitoring. David Welch, a senior lecturer at the University of Auckland's centre of computational evolution, agreed.

He described the research as "interesting" and suggested laboratories begin working on a potential vaccine for the virus.

"It would make sense to continue to monitor this closely, and to make preparations for a vaccine for this strain."

The study's researchers wrote about the need to control the virus in pigs and monitor those working with the animals.

"Right now we are distracted with coronavirus and rightly so," Professor Kin-Show Chang, one of the researchers, told the BBC.

"But we must not lose sight of potentially dangerous new viruses. We should not ignore it."
ScarfaceClaw

Erm something something Chy-na. Good. Now that’s sorted. What time is the tee off?
Biffer

Enzedder wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 am Forget Covid - we have a new swine flu

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... us-in-pigs?
A new flu strain identified in pigs has the potential to infect humans - but experts say it's not an "immediate threat".

A seven-year study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences discovered a new H1N1 influenza virus in pigs in China called G4 EA H1N1.

Researchers from China and the UK said the virus had "all the essential hallmarks of a candidate pandemic virus" as it can grow and multiply in human cells.

It shares similarities with the 2009 swine flu, which killed an estimated 12,469 people in the United States between April 12, 2009, and April 10, 2010, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Swine flu cases also spread to New Zealand in 2009.

The new virus is estimated to have emerged in 2016. Existing flu vaccines don't appear to have an effect on the strain.

The study found 10 per cent of farmers who were involved in the study had been infected. However, there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission, or proof that it could occur in the future.

Dr Jemma Geoghegan​, a virologist and senior lecturer from the University of Otago, noted there was no evidence the virus poses an "immediate threat" to humans.

"Pigs are an important reservoir host for influenza viruses where multiple viruses might first 'mix' in pigs, creating new viruses that then jump to humans.

"However, the news that the next viral pandemic will be caused by a new virus found in pigs might be a little premature."

Pigs are considered intermediate hosts for pandemic influenza viruses, and surveillance of such viruses is required to pre-warn "the emergence of the next pandemic influenza", the researchers wrote.

Geoghegan thought it important to continue monitoring. David Welch, a senior lecturer at the University of Auckland's centre of computational evolution, agreed.

He described the research as "interesting" and suggested laboratories begin working on a potential vaccine for the virus.

"It would make sense to continue to monitor this closely, and to make preparations for a vaccine for this strain."

The study's researchers wrote about the need to control the virus in pigs and monitor those working with the animals.

"Right now we are distracted with coronavirus and rightly so," Professor Kin-Show Chang, one of the researchers, told the BBC.

"But we must not lose sight of potentially dangerous new viruses. We should not ignore it."
This is good though. It's what science should be doing - identifying the possible next pandemics and doing the ground work in understanding the viruses and preparing vaccination development so that it can be tackled quickly if/when it jumps. We have never done that before, pandemic planning has been about preparing to be reactive (if that makes sense) because we didn't know what was coming. Also. it's an H1N1 strain so should quickly be included in the flu jab.
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
youthleth

Gilead to charge governments $2,340 for remdesivir
US drugmaker criticised over proposed pricing for course of Covid-19 treatment
Andrew Hill, a University of Liverpool academic, said countries should prioritise dexamethasone before investing in remdesivir.

“Remdesivir does not have a proven survival benefit and the results have not been consistent between studies,” he said. “It is not clear why 5 days of treatment should improve clinical responses, but not 10 days of treatment.”

Dr Hill and others argued in a study published in April that remdesivir could be mass-produced for $9 a course.
https://www.ft.com/content/4969b0a6-9e7 ... c438d8ef50
Raggs

Encouraging figures from the UK, case numbers still falling, and deaths haven't jumped too high considering it's a Tuesday.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
ASMO

and no one but no one will miss Leicester
MrMojo

I signed up to be one of these 750,000 volunteers to help the NHS as an emergency responder. For the first few weeks, nothing. However for the last two months I am getting called at least twice a day. Usually helping someone who is self isolating to get prescriptions, shopping, take their rubbish out.... Seems like a pretty good system. Perhaps something they should keep going after this virus is all over. Lots of us With the time, happy to help folk in distress.
ASMO

I have 2071 hours logged as a responder, only had to take 2 calls in that time, its a bit shit around this way
youthleth

I haven't had any calls, there are 22 responders within 5 minutes walk according to the little map.
Saint

ASMO wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:38 pm and no one but no one will miss Leicester

My boss lives in Leicester. He was swearing at me on this afternoon's strategy VC
Longshanks

ASMO wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm I have 2071 hours logged as a responder, only had to take 2 calls in that time, its a bit shit around this way
I've been looking after 3 vulnerable adults, and it's been great to know that volunteers are there if im stuck. So even if you haven't been called on much, it's appreciated that you're there.

Ps
Yes im a noob. Lurked on PR for years, but never got round to registering.
I know
F off and all that.
Longshanks

Any update on the 20 minute test for Coronavirus in the UK? (or anywhere else)
That would seem to be a possible game-changer if it could be rolled out
Saint

Longshanks wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 pm Any update on the 20 minute test for Coronavirus in the UK? (or anywhere else)
nothing yet that's reliable and can be manufactured in scale.

For this to be a viable solution, ignoring reliability, you probably need to be able to manufacture a million a day just for the UK (and that's probably understating it by a factor of 10)
Longshanks

Saint wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 pm
Longshanks wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 pm Any update on the 20 minute test for Coronavirus in the UK? (or anywhere else)

For this to be a viable solution, ignoring reliability, you probably need to be able to manufacture a million a day just for the UK (and that's probably understating it by a factor of 10)
But it's not been abandoned, it's still a possibility?
Because obviously a test like this would be a great weapon in the battle. Vaccine may not be effective (although it's seems they're fairly confident it will help to an extent), so we need things like this.
sockwithaticket

Ellafan wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:19 am A statistical irrelevance in AU/NZ.

The metric of success here is that things didn't go tits up, that you don't have tens of thousands of excess deaths. Basically, very little changing is the desired outcome, which of course makes it look like it was nothing to get worked up over. You'll never know if the same result would have been achieved by not taking any specific measures or not, but so be it.
Sandstorm

Going back to office 2 days a week from 7 July; half the number of staff keeping 2m apart, masks, gloves, liters of alcohol, etc. Not happy about it as my team are flying while working at home. Apparently others are suffering mental health issues stuck at home.....

Take an extra walk at lunchtime, you softcocks! 8-)
Longshanks

Up to a third of healthy people without symptoms of coronavirus may have developed immunity to it, international research suggests.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... -immunity/

This actually wouldn't surprise me, the drop in cases in London has been dramatic.
Scottish Blackface

From ready the Global Times I have discovered that this virus that originated in either European sewers or an American weapons lab is best combated by wilful obedience and to state direction or by developing a hatred of democratic freedom.
Netizens comment that if you start blaming all world problems on corrupt Americans Indians and Australian spies you will never catch this virus.
I have chosen to follow these paths and hope for either my non working consulting job with a 5g company or a large mining lease in Australia to compensate me for my struggle on behalf of the people soon.
On a side note I have stipulated that I would prefer to be paid in pure copper ingots rather than the current gold plated ones.
Forward to victory comrades.
Trust me I'm not making this up. :roll:
Biffer

Woah
And are there two g’s in Bugger Off?
lilyw

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:37 am Going back to office 2 days a week from 7 July; half the number of staff keeping 2m apart, masks, gloves, liters of alcohol, etc. Not happy about it as my team are flying while working at home. Apparently others are suffering mental health issues stuck at home.....

Take an extra walk at lunchtime, you softcocks! 8-)
That's certainly going to hit productivity
Sandstorm

Covid19 tests in UK are free.

I hear from a colleague in Bangladesh that it's $45.00 USD if you want the result in 4 days. Or you can get a free test and get the results in 16 days.

Do people in other countries have to pay for tests?
Saint

Longshanks wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 am
Saint wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 pm

But it's not been abandoned, it's still a possibility?
Because obviously a test like this would be a great weapon in the battle. Vaccine may not be effective (although it's seems they're fairly confident it will help to an extent), so we need things like this.
It;s definitely a possibility, but I;m not sure that it's a probability
Joe

Raab at it again. What a doofus.

So many contradictions. I and many will recall Matt Handcock proclaim at the time that the UK gov got the invite to join the European collective.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-6725322
Raggs

Arizona just broke their new cases record, had 88 deaths, and have apparently only got 187 ICU beds left...
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Carter's Choice

It's only a statistical irrelevance because we took the major steps that we did. Looks what's happening in Victoria when people let their guard down by just a fraction. 70+ new cases a day and presumably our death toll will rise from 104 total deaths. Moreover our economy would have been trashed anyway due to the closing of international borders and the impact this would have had on tourism, trade, higher education etc. Or are you suggesting that our borders should have been kept open?
stunt_cunt

USA buys up entire world supply of Remdesivir, pretty safe to say that therapeutic is off the cards for anyone else. Hefty price though! Got to pay to play I guess.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12344678
Enzedder

Carter's Choice wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:30 pm

It's only a statistical irrelevance because we took the major steps that we did. Looks what's happening in Victoria when people let their guard down by just a fraction. 70+ new cases a day and presumably our death toll will rise from 104 total deaths. Moreover our economy would have been trashed anyway due to the closing of international borders and the impact this would have had on tourism, trade, higher education etc. Or are you suggesting that our borders should have been kept open?
That's the bit that surprises me too - when people say that closing the borders wrecked the economy. It was going to be wrecked anyway.
Raggs

stunt_cunt wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:47 pm USA buys up entire world supply of Remdesivir, pretty safe to say that therapeutic is off the cards for anyone else. Hefty price though! Got to pay to play I guess.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12344678
They're trying to corner the market on most cases and deaths too, so it's only right they get to spend the most on their insurance.
stunt_cunt

I had read that the biggest benefit of that drug was it cut the time down a patient would spend in hospital, saving $12,000USD or so for the patients stay. There wasn't any evidence it affected death rates either way.
I'm assuming it's effective on a certain amount of population that have it in them to come back, and not go the full decent into the worst effects of the disease.

It does make you wonder what the possibilities are of a vaccine that is cracked and who has a hold of it. Price wise anyway, you could essentially hold the planet over a barrel. I think I'd have a lot more confidence in China doing the right thing by the worlds population than the Yanks.
Raggs

stunt_cunt wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:52 pm I had read that the biggest benefit of that drug was it cut the time down a patient would spend in hospital, saving $12,000USD or so for the patients stay. There wasn't any evidence it affected death rates either way.
I'm assuming it's effective on a certain amount of population that have it in them to come back, and not go the full decent into the worst effects of the disease.

It does make you wonder what the possibilities are of a vaccine that is cracked and who has a hold of it. Price wise anyway, you could essentially hold the planet over a barrel. I think I'd have a lot more confidence in China doing the right thing by the worlds population than the Yanks.
The same China that's cheerfully been selling PPE and tests that don't work? I'd trust the USA to make a big profit, but sell something that more than likely works. I'd trust China to sell something, but only have a chance for it to actually be useful.
fishfoodie

Raggs wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:18 pm Arizona just broke their new cases record, had 88 deaths, and have apparently only got 187 ICU beds left...

It's been coming for awhile.

The Beeb have a good article showing just how badly the US has fucked up :cry:

Look at that list of States; & consider, the split between the DNC, & GOP on State Governors is 24/26. Now look at the top 15 of that list; 11 Republican, & just 4 Democrats.

The deciding factor in whether or not someone dies in a pandemic, should never be the Party of their State Governor !
Ellafan

I would suggest the selection requirements for security guards be raised.

By the way, the figure of 104 hasn't changed chicken little.
Carter's Choice

Ellafan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:56 am By the way, the figure of 104 hasn't changed chicken little.

Where did anyone say it had? Are you blind as well as old?
Ellafan

Enzedder wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:49 pm

That's the bit that surprises me too - when people say that closing the borders wrecked the economy. It was going to be wrecked anyway.
Even with closed borders, the internal lockdown was over-applied. I tend to prefer the views of Stanford University professor of structural biology Michael Levitt, a Nobel prize winner, to opinions on a rugby forum.
Carter's Choice

Ellafan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:12 am Even with closed borders, the internal lockdown was over-applied. I tend to prefer the views of Stanford University professor of structural biology Michael Levitt, a Nobel prize winner, to opinions on a rugby forum.
Thankfully this argument has been had, and won by the common sense middle. Whilst the IPA and other lunatic conservative commentators cried and bleated about the lockdowns, the state premiers quietly went about their business saving Australia from the plague. 104 deaths and 14 Australians in total in hospital with COVID-19. Meanwhile chumps like you want to go back in time to save the economy? If we want to see how a society looks when they shun or scrap lockdowns prematurely, let's look at Florida, Arizona the UK or Sweden.
Ellafan

Carter's Choice wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:07 am
Ellafan wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:56 am By the way, the figure of 104 hasn't changed chicken little.

Where did anyone say it had? Are you blind as well as old?
10 years ago I probably would have fired a broadside back at your personal insult. Now-a-days, I'll just wait for you to produce a logical, scientifically argued response before engaging.