The Good, the Bad and the Rugby

Where goats go to escape
TQoET

Fascinating first episode with Eddie Jones:

Long, but worth a watch
assfly

Ta, will bookmark for later. I assume House of Rugby ran into issues with sponsors?
TQoET

I think there were corporate changes at Joe, and the three of them decided to go it alone.
Duff Paddy

TQoET wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:10 am I think there were corporate changes at Joe, and the three of them decided to go it alone.
I’d say they didn’t fancy a pay cut, and who could blame them. Podcasts probably rocketed during lockdown. They are a good trio but Hask gets very annoying after a while. I wonder who House of Rugby will replace them with. Could be a bit of a top gear scenario if they get it wrong.
Niegs

"Data metrics" for selection. Nah, mate.

Some stats tell a lot, but many are misleading (metres carried, tackles missed). Looking for ever more, I think, can be a massive waste of time. Rugby's nothing like baseball and not even the same as NFL.

I think keeping the same skillful and diverse group together and allowing them to 'gel' and 'flow' together - the time-tested method in any sport - will still win out. Replacements need to fit with the main bunch and, pardon the buzz word, culture.
eldanielfire

TQoET wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:10 am I think there were corporate changes at Joe, and the three of them decided to go it alone.
Yeah. It was also more they wanted to be in charge of their own product, HORs success was essentially them 3 as opposed to any special format. There seems to be no bad blood between either side.

Of course if Joe can pick out another 2 good, fun and informed personalities with a good moderator everyone might benefit from having 2 good Podcasts. I suspect there are a few people willing to do it after seeing the success of Hask and co. Of course it could go Top Gear post Clarkson too. Upon which nothing is lost.
Akkerman

So Billy Vunipola, the second guest, doesn't support the BLM movement because they burn churches and bibles apparently :shock: where the fk does he get his information
Margin__Walker

Akkerman wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:55 pm So Billy Vunipola, the second guest, doesn't support the BLM movement because they burn churches and bibles apparently :shock: where the fk does he get his information
Snopes probably on the bible front

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/portl ... rn-bibles/
sockwithaticket

Probably not going to listen to this one for a while, Billy is not an especially interesting interviewee. Did anyone bother challenging him on the bible burning stuff?
assfly

sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:35 pm Probably not going to listen to this one for a while, Billy is not an especially interesting interviewee. Did anyone bother challenging him on the bible burning stuff?
I'm halfway through it and it's very interesting, definitely worth a listen as he's an interesting chap and he opens up quite a lot about his upbringing and his differences with his brother.
sockwithaticket

assfly wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:31 am
sockwithaticket wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:35 pm Probably not going to listen to this one for a while, Billy is not an especially interesting interviewee. Did anyone bother challenging him on the bible burning stuff?
I'm halfway through it and it's very interesting, definitely worth a listen as he's an interesting chap and he opens up quite a lot about his upbringing and his differences with his brother.
Ok I have watched it as I couldn't sleep last night. I cannot believe how the nonsense church-burning allegation went unchallenged.

Hask's opinions on the differences between Billy and Mako were quite interesting and then what Billy followed up with, but otherwise it wasn't a peak episode. I look forward to a Ben Ryan or Ben Kayser level guest for next time.
eldanielfire

This week has the funbus on. I'm about to start listening :lol:

eldanielfire

:lol: Love this bit (and lots of others) told by Tindal:

Nutritionist: Jason, you realize 40 units a week is a lot of alcohol?
Jason Leonard: A week? That was just for Saturday! I didn't realize the form was for a whole week?
stemoc

The Bible justifies slavery so yeah burning it is probably the FIRST step into ensuring the BLM Movement is on the right track....chopping the branches off a tree won't kill the tree, neither would cutting the trunk you have to destroy its ..."roots"
Last edited by stemoc on Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
eldanielfire

stemoc wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:07 pm The Bible justifies slavery so yeah burning it is probably the FIST step into ensuring the BLM Movement is on the right track....chopping the branches off a tree won't kill the tree, neither would cutting the trunk you have to destroy its ..."roots"
I don't think the Bible justifies slavery, Jesus certainly didn't. In fact one of the most famous stories is how Jews escaped slavery.
sockwithaticket

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:47 pm
stemoc wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:07 pm The Bible justifies slavery so yeah burning it is probably the FIST step into ensuring the BLM Movement is on the right track....chopping the branches off a tree won't kill the tree, neither would cutting the trunk you have to destroy its ..."roots"
I don't think the Bible justifies slavery, Jesus certainly didn't. In fact one of the most famous stories is how Jews escaped slavery.
As ever in the Bible, there's a lot of conflicting passages. There's not a huge amount in there outright condeming it though, about as positive as it gets is 'Treat your slaves nicely', 'we're all the same under God' and 'they can go free after a number of years'.
assfly

The latest episode with Dylan Hartley is quite interesting, especially from a professional players perspective and how he coped with the impact on his body and how he earned his bad boy reputation.

But he still comes across as a bit of a twat who is quite bitter about a lot of things.
Sinkers

You want a role model - live your life like Jason Leonard. What a legend and all round thoroughly good man
assfly

Sinkers wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:39 am You want a role model - live your life like Jason Leonard. What a legend and all round thoroughly good man
Couldn't agree more. I listened to the podcast on Spotify and then watched it again with the wife. He embodies everything I love about rugby and the game desperately needs more people like him.

His story of the ravine and the stones and the rope. I'm still chuckling.
Ymx

For anyone about to watch it. Skip the first 20 mins until Eddie turns up. It’s small talk between them that somehow drags on for 20 mins.
sockwithaticket

assfly wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:54 am The latest episode with Dylan Hartley is quite interesting, especially from a professional players perspective and how he coped with the impact on his body and how he earned his bad boy reputation.

But he still comes across as a bit of a twat who is quite bitter about a lot of things.
I think his main issue was not retiring early enough. He kept putting himself through the wringer in his 30s after some significant issues. His concussion problems alone should have seen him call it a day before he did.
assfly

sockwithaticket wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:01 am I think his main issue was not retiring early enough. He kept putting himself through the wringer in his 30s after some significant issues. His concussion problems alone should have seen him call it a day before he did.
Yes I agree. Imagine still getting dizzy spells so long after retiring, without all the support that he had as a player. Frightening.
TQoET

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGNM35fqmI4&t=0s

Ma’a Nonu this week.

Not really seen him interviewed much before. Comes across very well...seems to have a nice simple outlook on life 👍
assfly

TQoET wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:18 am

Not really seen him interviewed much before. Comes across very well...seems to have a nice simple outlook on life 👍
Yes seems nice enough but not exactly a riveting guest. He's too laid back to have any crazy stories.
eldanielfire

Episode 7, damn I'm deffo buying Haskell's book. Lots of funny stories but also fudge me Rob Andrew is a snake on the issue of the kiwi bird and the players. But we always knew that.
Glaston

How many times does he touch his nose?
Some odd body language that.
Kawazaki

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:53 pm Episode 7, damn I'm deffo buying Haskell's book. Lots of funny stories but also fudge me Rob Andrew is a snake on the issue of the kiwi bird and the players. But we always knew that.

I wouldn't necessarily rush to believe Haskell's version of just about anything to be honest, regardless of how much I might want it to confirm any biases I might have regards Rob Andrew.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

As far as I'm concerned, there will only ever be one "The Good, The Bad and The Rugby".

sockwithaticket

Kawazaki wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:09 am
eldanielfire wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:53 pm Episode 7, damn I'm deffo buying Haskell's book. Lots of funny stories but also fudge me Rob Andrew is a snake on the issue of the kiwi bird and the players. But we always knew that.

I wouldn't necessarily rush to believe Haskell's version of just about anything to be honest, regardless of how much I might want it to confirm any biases I might have regards Rob Andrew.
Defnitely agree with that.

The last extract from his book in the English thread is a good example of why not.

What he played off as a harmless jape was 4 fully grown, male rugby players with a woman in a confined space making her job needlessly difficult with a juvenile prank while making (unspecified) lewd comments.

Throwing Moody under the bus for doing his job as captain and trying to get them to stop acting like over-grown children creating an incident was pretty poor form.

Rob Andrew is definitely awful, but Hask's word wouldn't be evidence I'd trust.
Gumboot

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:22 am As far as I'm concerned, there will only ever be one "The Good, The Bad and The Rugby".
Quite right. Same applies to "The Baby Blacks".
JM2K6

+1 on not trusting Haskell's versions of any events, really. He's never struck me as the sort of person able to be honest about his own behaviour or able to view things in a wider context.
eldanielfire

Kawazaki wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:09 am

He made it clear that his lawyers had to go through those parts of his book and make sure what he wrote was legal proof. I suspect he's got some evidence to back him up on the actual facts. That's not to say it's not been written entirely from Haskell's perspective. Even in the podcast I was think Haskell going on about the prank of nicking hotel maid's stuff for days was pretty un-self-aware and cruel. He's clearly a rich boy who doesn't quite understand how vulnerable some people's jobs are there.
Kawazaki

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:05 amHe's clearly a twat
FTFY