The Crusaders 2021 Thread

Where goats go to escape
Carter's Choice

As always I am looking forward to Super Rugby in 2021 and more opportunities to watch my beloved Crusaders.

The squad;
FORWARDS

Michael Alaalatoa (83)
Scott Barrett (C) (73)
Ethan Blackadder (10)
George Bower (23)
Tom Christie (11)
Whetukamokamo Douglas (32)
Mitchell Dunshea (22)
Cullen Grace (8)
Sione Havili (9)
Oliver Jager (26)
Andrew Makalio (43)
Brodie McAlister (4)
Joe Moody (94)
Fletcher Newell*
Luke Romano (134)
Tom Sanders (19)
Quinten Strange (32)
Codie Taylor (90)
Isileli Tuungafasi (10)
Samuel Whitelock (151)
Tamaiti Williams*

BACKS

George Bridge (61)
Fergus Burke (1)
Brett Cameron (13)
Mitchell Drummond (93)
Ereatara Enari (8)
Braydon Ennor (35)
Leicester Fainga’anuku (12)
Chay Fihaki*
Jack Goodhue (57)
Bryn Hall (64)
David Havili (84)
Will Jordan (19)
Manasa Mataele (25)
Dallas McLeod (2)
Richie Mo’unga (69)
Isaiah Punivai*
Sevu Reece (27)
Carter's Choice

I believe that we are still in a rebuilding phase, although I thought that this year and we still won Super Rugby Aotearoa. I worry that our backrow lacks balance, we are missing world class ball running backrower.

I also think we will miss Brayden Ennor, who is out for the entire season with a serious knee injury. Some people have suggested that Havili will move to 12 (pushing Goodhue back to 13) which would allow Jordan to start at fullback. I think we are likely to see Leicester Fainga’anuku slot straight into centre, with Havili remaining at 15 and Jordan competing for the 14 jersey.

I'm really pumped to see Fletcher Newell at this level. I think he is an AB in the making. I also think Tamaiti Williams could emerge as a really good prop.
Carter's Choice

As an aside, it's nice to see Super Rugby Aotearoa starting at the end of February next year. SR's late January start this year was ordinary.
stemoc

Leicester was disappointing for the Moana's .. havili to 12 makes more sense with punivai as backup
Carter's Choice

stemoc wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:38 pm Leicester was disappointing for the Moana's .. havili to 12 makes more sense with punivai as backup
Fortunately Robertson won't base his 2021 selections on a single end of season friendly fixture.
Certain Navigator

Carter's Choice wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:05 pm I believe that we are still in a rebuilding phase, although I thought that this year and we still won Super Rugby Aotearoa. I worry that our backrow lacks balance, we are missing world class ball running backrower.

I also think we will miss Brayden Ennor, who is out for the entire season with a serious knee injury. Some people have suggested that Havili will move to 12 (pushing Goodhue back to 13) which would allow Jordan to start at fullback. I think we are likely to see Leicester Fainga’anuku slot straight into centre, with Havili remaining at 15 and Jordan competing for the 14 jersey.
I can understand why you wouldn't really want Havili at 12 (although it would make it easier for him to cover 10, thus eliminating the need for Cameron or Burke on the bench), but, serious question, does Fainga’anuku actually have any credentials at centre — he looks pure, out-and-out, wing to me.
Carter's Choice

Certain Navigator wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:35 am
Carter's Choice wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:05 pm I believe that we are still in a rebuilding phase, although I thought that this year and we still won Super Rugby Aotearoa. I worry that our backrow lacks balance, we are missing world class ball running backrower.

I can understand why you wouldn't really want Havili at 12 (although it would make it easier for him to cover 10, thus eliminating the need for Cameron or Burke on the bench), but, serious question, does Fainga’anuku actually have any credentials at centre — he looks pure, out-and-out, wing to me.
He's played centre at school, NZ u20's and for Tasman.
stemoc

would like to see them run manasa at 13...after his injury he hasn't been the same, its weird that he was the incumbent and after his injury, he was replaced by Reece who has played more games than him for the saders now
mrbrownstone

I think Dallas McLeod has looked pretty good in his limited opportunities for Canterbury and the Crusaders, and also has U20s pedigree on his side. Personally, I'm all for the path of least resistance which has the most players starting in their best positions:

9. Hall
10. Mo'unga
11. Reece
12. McLeod
13. Goodhue
14. Jordan
15. Havili

21. Drummond
22. Burke
23. Fainga'anuku

If not, the I agree that I'd sooner move Fainga'anuku into the midfield than Havili.

I also think this is a make or break season for Eri Enari. I've sung his praises for a little while, but thought he was very disappointing for Canterbury this year. We frequently turned to shit when Drummond came off. He's 23 now. Time to move on from 'promising' to actually show something at the top level.

I also agree that Newell and Tamaiti Williams look like very good prospects.

It will be interesting to see how Razor manages our locking stocks, with 5 international quality locks in Barrett, Whitelock, Romano, Strange, and Dunshea.
wet-socks

Fainga'anuku, McLeod, Chay Fihaki & Punivai are all better options than Havili in the midfield.

I'm not sure why anyone is even suggesting moving Havili from 15. From all the games we've seen him play at 12 (in Crotty's absence) he's lacked penetration and his channel has been aggressively targeted by the opposition because his defensive frailties are really exposed when playing in-tight. He's not exactly a big body either which is why I'd prefer Fainga'anuku who can break the line and make huge metres at 13.

Goodhue, Fainga'anuku, Jordan, Havili, Reece.

22 McLeod, 23 Fihaki.
Gumboot

wet-socks wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:03 am Fainga'anuku, McLeod, Chay Fihaki & Punivai are all better options than Havili in the midfield.

I'm not sure why anyone is even suggesting moving Havili from 15. From all the games we've seen him play at 12 (in Crotty's absence) he's lacked penetration and his channel has been aggressively targeted by the opposition because his defensive frailties are really exposed when playing in-tight. He's not exactly a big body either which is why I'd prefer Fainga'anuku who can break the line and make huge metres at 13.
Couldn't agree more. He's a fine fullback but an average midfielder. I remember him filling in at 10 for a Saders game a couple of years ago and thinking how much better he looked there than he ever had at 12.
Carter's Choice

I think Havili has been the form fullback in NZ over the past few years, and I think it's a no-brainer that he stays at 15. Fainga'anuku is too good not to be in the starting XV, and Ennor's unfortunate injury opens up a spot for him at centre. Like or not I think Goodhue is going to be playing at 12 for the foreseeable future.
Tussock

Any chance of seeing Jordan at fullback? I believe that will be his best & long term position (for the All Blacks to). Havili while good at 15, I can't see him stepping up to the ABs on a permanent basis.
Carter's Choice

Tussock wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:14 pm Any chance of seeing Jordan at fullback? I believe that will be his best & long term position (for the All Blacks to). Havili while good at 15, I can't see him stepping up to the ABs on a permanent basis.
Will Jordan is still only 22. I think the best position for him currently is 14, where he has more room and less responsibility. As we saw in the last test of the year, he's a game breaker. Havili is still hugely important for the Crusaders at 15, he's one of our on-field leaders, and if Jordan can make the Crusaders 14 jersey his own he will have done well given the competition in the Crusaders squad.
Tussock

Carter's Choice wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:02 pm
Tussock wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:14 pm Any chance of seeing Jordan at fullback? I believe that will be his best & long term position (for the All Blacks to). Havili while good at 15, I can't see him stepping up to the ABs on a permanent basis.
Will Jordan is still only 22. I think the best position for him currently is 14, where he has more room and less responsibility. As we saw in the last test of the year, he's a game breaker. Havili is still hugely important for the Crusaders at 15, he's one of our on-field leaders, and if Jordan can make the Crusaders 14 jersey his own he will have done well given the competition in the Crusaders squad.
I think he has the temperament (reminds me of D. Carter) to handle the responsibility of fullback. More opportunity to get involved in the game (bit of a Midas touch with his ability to create). Wasn't Dagg only 21/22 or so when he was fullback for the Crusaders/ABs?

I want him there now to challenge for the ABs 2023 RWC fullback spot.
Certain Navigator

Carter's Choice wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:36 am
Certain Navigator wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:35 am

He's played centre at school, NZ u20's and for Tasman.
Really? I don't recall him playing anywhere but wing for the U20s, and while it's possible he may have occasionally filled in there for Tasman (I haven't actually seen it) his main position for them has certainly been wing. When he was signed for the Crusaders, the only position mentioned was wing.
Carter's Choice

So this is my 1st choice XXIII based on this season's form and potential;

15. David Havili
14. Will Jordan
13. Leicester Fainga’anuku
12. Jack Goodhue
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Bryn Hall

8. Whetukamokamo Douglas
7. Tom Christie
6. Grace Cullen
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Mike Ala'alatoa
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Andrew Makalio
17. Fletcher Newell
18. Oli Jager
19. Quentin Strange
20. Sione Havili
21. Mitchell Drummond
22. Fergus Burke/Brett Cameron
23. Sevu Reece
wet-socks

Carter's Choice wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:47 am So this is my 1st choice XXIII based on this season's form and potential;

15. David Havili
14. Will Jordan
12. Jack Goodhue
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Bryn Hall

8. Whetukamokamo Douglas
7. Tom Christie
6. Grace Cullen
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Mike Ala'alatoa
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Andrew Makalio
17. Fletcher Newell
18. Oli Jager
19. Quentin Strange
20. Sione Havili
21. Mitchell Drummond
23. Sevu Reece
Agree with most of this, but you've left out Ethan Blackadder who has the highest ceiling of all the Crusader's current loosies, he needs to start every match for you to have any chance of winning the title as Crusaders don't have many big/imposing loose forwards to match the likes of the Blues, Landers. Ethan is 111 kg, the next heaviest is Grace at 107 kg.
Carter's Choice

wet-socks wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:05 am Agree with most of this, but you've left out Ethan Blackadder who has the highest ceiling of all the Crusader's current loosies, he needs to start every match for you to have any chance of winning the title as Crusaders don't have many big/imposing loose forwards to match the likes of the Blues, Landers. Ethan is 111 kg, the next heaviest is Grace at 107 kg.
Blackadder is unproven at this level, whereas the others are title winners. If Blackadder starts then Grace is on the bench, because Whetu Douglas is our ball running option in the above pack. In saying that, Grace could easily switch to no.8 accommodating Blackadder at 6. I've been a fan of Ethan's for years but his lack of SR time, due to injuries, has made it hard to keep the faith. Next season will be Blackadder's 4th season with the Crusaders, and sixth season of pro Rugby, and he's only played 10 games for the Crusaders - mainly off the bench.
Kiwias

I am not sensing much love for Tom Sanders here.
Carter's Choice

Kiwias wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:45 am I am not sensing much love for Tom Sanders here.
He was our most improved player this season, it was great to see him get a good injury-free run. But who misses out for him to be in our first choice XXIII? He's not really an impact player so he needs to start or nothing.
Kiwias

Carter's Choice wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:47 am
Kiwias wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:45 am I am not sensing much love for Tom Sanders here.
He was our most improved player this season, it was great to see him get a good injury-free run. But who misses out for him to be in our first choice XXIII? He's not really an impact player so he needs to start or nothing.
He is a player who needs plenty of match time, which I guess applies to all players. From what I've seen, No.8 is his best position but you can hardly leave Douglas out of the starting XV.
mrbrownstone

Carter's Choice wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:47 am So this is my 1st choice XXIII based on this season's form and potential;

15. David Havili
14. Will Jordan
12. Jack Goodhue
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Bryn Hall

8. Whetukamokamo Douglas
7. Tom Christie
6. Grace Cullen
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Mike Ala'alatoa
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Andrew Makalio
17. Fletcher Newell
18. Oli Jager
19. Quentin Strange
20. Sione Havili
21. Mitchell Drummond
23. Sevu Reece
Newell and Jager are both tightheads aren't they? Would think Bower would get the nod. Also Bridge is out for most of the season isn't he? So Reece to the wing and McLeod or Punivai to the bench. I'd also have Blackadder over Havili on the bench.
Carter's Choice

mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 am

15. David Havili
14. Will Jordan
12. Jack Goodhue
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Bryn Hall

8. Whetukamokamo Douglas
7. Tom Christie
6. Grace Cullen
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Mike Ala'alatoa
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Andrew Makalio
17. Fletcher Newell
18. Oli Jager
19. Quentin Strange
20. Sione Havili
21. Mitchell Drummond
23. Sevu Reece
Newell and Jager are both tightheads aren't they? Would think Bower would get the nod. Also Bridge is out for most of the season isn't he? So Reece to the wing and McLeod or Punivai to the bench. I'd also have Blackadder over Havili on the bench.
You're right about Jager and Newell both being TH props. And yes, All Black squad member George Bower is likely to share LH prop duties with Moody.

Can Reece cover left wing? I'm sure he has the ability to switch sides but can't remember him playing on the left edge. That gives Fainga’anuku a great chance to cement the 11 jersey, which then means we need a centre.

If Blackadder is on the bench then who covers openside if Christie is injured early?
mrbrownstone

Carter's Choice wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:39 am
mrbrownstone wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:34 am

15. David Havili
14. Will Jordan
12. Jack Goodhue
11. George Bridge
10. Richie Mo'unga
9. Bryn Hall

8. Whetukamokamo Douglas
7. Tom Christie
6. Grace Cullen
5. Sam Whitelock
4. Scott Barrett
3. Mike Ala'alatoa
2. Codie Taylor
1. Joe Moody

16. Andrew Makalio
17. Fletcher Newell
18. Oli Jager
19. Quentin Strange
20. Sione Havili
21. Mitchell Drummond
23. Sevu Reece
You're right about Jager and Newell both being TH props. And yes, All Black squad member George Bower is likely to share LH prop duties with Moody.

Can Reece cover left wing? I'm sure he has the ability to switch sides but can't remember him playing on the left edge. That gives Fainga’anuku a great chance to cement the 11 jersey, which then means we need a centre.

If Blackadder is on the bench then who covers openside if Christie is injured early?
Fair point on Havili actually. I guess if Grace or Douglas went down, you could always push Barrett to the blindside, so Blackadder on the bench might be a bit redundant.
wet-socks

I’m left wondering if you guys even watched the loosies this year, Douglas was the worst performing player in the Crusaders 15 for much of 2020, he’s so past it now that he’s almost become a liability. he was usually getting dominated in contact & with his carries was often getting driven backwards by the younger Blues, Hurricanes & Highlanders loosies.

Sanders was the Crusaders best performing loose forward of 2020.

I wouldn’t even have Douglas in the 23 anymore since Ethan is fit.

Douglas was struggling to even make the Canterbury bench this year..

Grace, Christie, Sanders. Blackadder on the bench covering 6/7.
Carter's Choice

wet-socks wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:05 am
I’m left wondering if you guys even watched the loosies this year, Douglas was the worst performing player in the Crusaders 15 for much of 2020, he’s so past it now that he’s almost become a liability. he was usually getting dominated in contact & with his carries was often getting driven backwards by the younger Blues, Hurricanes & Highlanders loosies.

Sanders was the Crusaders best performing loose forward of 2020.

I wouldn’t even have Douglas in the 23 anymore since Ethan is fit.

Douglas was struggling to even make the Canterbury bench this year..

Grace, Christie, Sanders. Blackadder on the bench covering 6/7.
Douglas missed most of the short Super Rugby Aotearoa season through injury.
stemoc

more chance of Mataele starting on the left wing if Bridge is out than Leicester, i know u like him but he is NOT a centre, he is barely a winger, also reece will start either you like it or not, Havili will be shifted to 12 cause i think fozzie will pull some strings, Goodhue is the only decent midfielder in the AB's..and i think Fozzie wants him back at 13 but he also wants havili in the AB jersey so playing him at 12 will give him an "Ennor" type option at the AB's..the AB's play like 12 games next year, they would need options at 12 and 15 which is weak right now at AB level adn with havili there, they would have 5 options at 15 (BB, DMAC, JB, WJ). Leicester is the Telea of 2021, even if he is really good, he won't be making the AB's..
Carter's Choice

stemoc wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:14 am more chance of Mataele starting on the left wing if Bridge is out than Leicester, i know u like him but he is NOT a centre, he is barely a winger, also reece will start either you like it or not, Havili will be shifted to 12 cause i think fozzie will pull some strings, Goodhue is the only decent midfielder in the AB's..and i think Fozzie wants him back at 13 but he also wants havili in the AB jersey so playing him at 12 will give him an "Ennor" type option at the AB's..the AB's play like 12 games next year, they would need options at 12 and 15 which is weak right now at AB level adn with havili there, they would have 5 options at 15 (BB, DMAC, JB, WJ). Leicester is the Telea of 2021, even if he is really good, he won't be making the AB's..
I disagree that Havili will move to 12. He is too important for us at 15. I also disagree that Mata'ele is more likely to play at 11 than Fainga'anuku. Mata'ele has looked slow and fat throughout 2021 (even at CHCH club level he looked overweight and off the pace) and LF was arguably the player of the Mitre 10 Cup.
stemoc

experience counts, Leicester more likely to get game time with the trans-tasman competition....that said, one thing we know is that no player returns 100% after a major injury we saw that with manasa can we expect the same with Bridge?
Carter's Choice

stemoc wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:47 am experience counts, Leicester more likely to get game time with the trans-tasman competition....that said, one thing we know is that no player returns 100% after a major injury we saw that with manasa can we expect the same with Bridge?
Bridge can't get any slower can he? [/Uncle FB]

In saying that, it was a chest injury so hopefully he will come back strongly
mrbrownstone

Bridge and Mataele are both out till April, so miss a majority of the SRA season.

On injuries, I'm far more worried about how Ennor returns from an ACL than Bridge returning from a chest complaint. For someone like Ennor who relies on speed and explosiveness it's a concerning prospect. We've seen this year what can happen to someone like Damien McKenzie returning from an ACL. Even Dane Coles took a fair while to get back to his best after his ACL injury.
Carter's Choice

I think we can all agree that our issue won't be the make-up of our wings/back three. We have great depth there, including Chay Fihaki, who looks like star in the making.

Our areas of concern are our backrow, midfield and our backup for Richie Mo'unga. In Burke and Cameron we arguably have the weakest back up options for no.10 in the tournament.
wet-socks

Carter's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:08 am I think we can all agree that our issue won't be the make-up of our wings/back three. We have great depth there, including Chay Fihaki, who looks like star in the making.

Our areas of concern are our backrow, midfield and our backup for Richie Mo'unga. In Burke and Cameron we arguably have the weakest back up options for no.10 in the tournament.
Havili is probably viewed by Robertson as their back up no.10, he actually played really well there against the Chiefs (despite the final result). He’s got great vision and his kicking game is remarkably strong. His chip kicks and cross field kicking were pin-point accuracy to set up Reece in that 1st half.
Last edited by wet-socks on Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Carter's Choice

wet-socks wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:25 am
Carter's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:08 am I think we can all agree that our issue won't be the make-up of our wings/back three. We have great depth there, including Chay Fihaki, who looks like star in the making.

Havili is probably viewed by Robertson as their back up no.10, he actually played really well there against the Chiefs last year (despite the final result). He’s got great vision and his kicking game is remarkably strong. His chip kicks and cross-field kicking were pin-point accuracy to set up Reece in that 1st half.
Too bad his 2nd half was shit. Havili is a stopgap measure at 10, we need to be developing Mo'unga's long-term replacement.
mrbrownstone

I thought Burke showed flashes of potential. Would much rather persist with him than Cameron.
wet-socks

Carter's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:27 am
wet-socks wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:25 am

Havili is probably viewed by Robertson as their back up no.10, he actually played really well there against the Chiefs last year (despite the final result). He’s got great vision and his kicking game is remarkably strong. His chip kicks and cross-field kicking were pin-point accuracy to set up Reece in that 1st half.
Too bad his 2nd half was shit. Havili is a stopgap measure at 10, we need to be developing Mo'unga's long-term replacement.
Josh McKay has the potential to be that, I strongly feel he should be converted back to a 10, the position where he and Will Jordan (at 15) for Chch Boys High single-handedly laid waste to the entire Secondary Schools competition.

apparently he’s been snaffled up in the Crusader’s extended squad..
Carter's Choice

wet-socks wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:38 am Josh McKay has the potential to be that, I strongly feel he should be converted back to a 10, the position where he and Will Jordan (at 15) for Chch Boys High single-handedly laid waste to the entire Secondary Schools competition.

I heard recently that he’d been picked up in the Crusader’s extended squad..
Chase Tiatia was similarly dominant as a schoolboy no.10. Lots of dominant schoolboy first fives don't cut it a pro level.
mrbrownstone

Carter's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:40 am
wet-socks wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:38 am Josh McKay has the potential to be that, I strongly feel he should be converted back to a 10, the position where he and Will Jordan (at 15) for Chch Boys High single-handedly laid waste to the entire Secondary Schools competition.

I heard recently that he’d been picked up in the Crusader’s extended squad..
Chase Tiatia was similarly dominant as a schoolboy no.10. Lots of dominant schoolboy first fives don't cut it a pro level.
In fairness, we have no idea if Josh McKay would cut it as a first-five at pro level, as he has never been given an opportunity to play there.
Kiwias

mrbrownstone wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:35 am I thought Burke showed flashes of potential. Would much rather persist with him than Cameron.
Absolutely.