Kicking off in Israel

Where goats go to escape
Calculon

C69 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:51 pm
Calculon wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:49 pm Al Jazeera is a Qatari government news outlet with links to a Qatari funded terrorist group at war with Israel. As far as I can tell, unlike Bibi's attack on the Judiciary this shut down has the support of the opposition.
Al Jazeera were iirc the only press agency allowed in parts of Gaza. Now there are none.
The issue has been that Al Jazeera didn't allow themselves to be censored apparently.
You mean the only news outlet allowed in parts of Gaza controlled by Hamas? They recently won an award from Hamas, and are frequently praised by them so I'm sure they will still have access there
Guy Smiley

Calculon wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:02 am
C69 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:51 pm
Calculon wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 1:49 pm Al Jazeera is a Qatari government news outlet with links to a Qatari funded terrorist group at war with Israel. As far as I can tell, unlike Bibi's attack on the Judiciary this shut down has the support of the opposition.
Al Jazeera were iirc the only press agency allowed in parts of Gaza. Now there are none.
The issue has been that Al Jazeera didn't allow themselves to be censored apparently.
You mean the only news outlet allowed in parts of Gaza controlled by Hamas? They recently won an award from Hamas, and are frequently praised by them so I'm sure they will still have access there
Well, I suppose if shooting journalists is getting too much attention you can just 'shut down' an outlet.
Uncle fester

You don't have to like them but if you shut out AJ, you may as well put up a big banner saying "no Arab News allowed. Whatsoever".

If you do ban them, then you MUST ban all the right wing shitrags that pollute Western public discourse.
Uncle fester

This is deeply sinister. No information on why he's banned or how it came about. This isn't exactly Abu Hamza here.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/prominent ... t-on-gaza/
Calculon

Uncle fester wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:40 am You don't have to like them but if you shut out AJ, you may as well put up a big banner saying "no Arab News allowed. Whatsoever".

If you do ban them, then you MUST ban all the right wing shitrags that pollute Western public discourse.
I can’t see how a ban would be effective. Any Israelis who want to watch AJ can easily do so with a VPN
C69

Rafah offensive starting in all but name now.
Blackmac

Guy Smiley wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 5:36 pm I ended up reporting YMX yesterday after letting it go the first time around. I was a bit taken aback at the personal attacks, just really weird sort of lashing out that has no place in a healthy or robust chat.

I know that at times I got my own elbows out engaging with him when maybe a more balanced or restrained response might have been better... but his repeated and insistent aggression seemed to deserve challenging and I don't have a lot of patience.

I believe he's having a break from things. Maybe he'll use the time to think about personal attacks being a bad choice. I'd be surprised if he does.
Couldn't agree more. Stepped well over the line.
geordie_6

BBC News - Israel Gaza live updates: Hamas says it accepts Gaza truce deal, as Israel readies Rafah operation - BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-m ... t-68963839

Not sure what the conditions of it are yet, and if it's a temporary ceasefire or more long term.
Hugo

Uncle fester wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:42 am This is deeply sinister. No information on why he's banned or how it came about. This isn't exactly Abu Hamza here.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/prominent ... t-on-gaza/
Heaven forbid a surgeon share his perspectives.
C69

My friends in Israel tell me HAMAS are on the verge of accepting a ceasefire.

Oh and its just dropping on Haaretz.
Fingers crossed
convoluted

Guy Smiley wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:25 pm ... calling my wife a mail order bride ...That’s about as low as it gets.
WTF????
Unbelievable. So the guy who repeatedly disdained an actual known person, Ian Foster, as a "fat useless cunt" has himself disintegrated like soiled toilet paper in the flush when as anonymous poster Guy Smiley his wife receives a common jibe.
Because of 50 years largely spent in SE Asia, the 'ladyboy' reference has on occasion come up to my face when in NZ or Oz and it has always just bounced off.

No wonder you lot resent and hate Donald Trump. Through social media, forums and a compliant media, no-one in the history of the planet has been so widely attacked, abused and defamed as Donald J. Yet for 8 unrelenting years Trump has weathered it all and somehow still today remains as resolute and staunch as ever.

There is more fortitude and mettle in one sliver of Trump fingernail clipping than you could conjure up from a thousand Guy Smiley clones.
C69

convoluted wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:06 pm
Guy Smiley wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:25 pm ... calling my wife a mail order bride ...That’s about as low as it gets.
WTF????
Unbelievable. So the guy who repeatedly disdained an actual known person, Ian Foster, as a "fat useless cunt" has himself disintegrated like soiled toilet paper in the flush when as anonymous poster Guy Smiley his wife receives a common jibe.
Because of 50 years largely spent in SE Asia, the 'ladyboy' reference has on occasion come up to my face when in NZ or Oz and it has always just bounced off.

No wonder you lot resent and hate Donald Trump. Through social media, forums and a compliant media, no-one in the history of the planet has been so widely attacked, abused and defamed as Donald J. Yet for 8 unrelenting years Trump has weathered it all and somehow still today remains as resolute and staunch as ever.

There is more fortitude and mettle in one sliver of Trump fingernail clipping than you could conjure up from a thousand Guy Smiley clones.
Please be more straightforward or succinct
Flockwitt

C69 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:17 pm My friends in Israel tell me HAMAS are on the verge of accepting a ceasefire.

Fingers crossed
It’s a bit of disinformation for PR. Hamas ‘accepting’ an Egyptian proposal that they know Israel will never agree to.
Slick

WTF????

Quite an entrance 😂
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
epwc

Slick wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:01 pm Quite an entrance 😂
Seems an awfully nice chap
Guy Smiley

You guys haven't encountered convoluted before?

He's one of ours... a MAGA loving Kiwi. All I can say is, we have high nitrate levels in our drinking water.
Gumboot

convoluted wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:06 pmWTF????

:lol: :lol:
Slick

Guy Smiley wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:18 pm You guys haven't encountered convoluted before?

He's one of ours... a MAGA loving Kiwi. All I can say is, we have high nitrate levels in our drinking water.
I know the chap, just a bizarre post
All the money you made will never buy back your soul
Guy Smiley

Slick wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:25 pm
Guy Smiley wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:18 pm You guys haven't encountered convoluted before?

I know the chap, just a bizarre post
Classic wingbat.
Tilly Orifice

C69 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 7:09 pm
WTF????

Please be m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶a̶i̶g̶h̶t̶f̶o̶r̶w̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶c̶i̶n̶c̶t̶ less funny
no no no
Guy Smiley

I was thinking yesterday how the crackdown on protesting students in the US and Australia will simply amplify and feed negative sentiment towards Israeli actions... as all acts of repression feed the rebellious spirit they seek to control. What we might call 'the movement' will only get stronger through crackdowns... there's years of pent up frustration fuelling the protests and you can't hope to simply stop that. As usual, authorities miss the opportunity to try and resolve difference through enforcing the inequality at the heart of complaint...

today, this popped up in my feed. Entirely pertinent...

https://theconversation.com/iran-is-gai ... 1715052638
Author

Shahram Akbarzadeh

Convenor of the Middle East Studies Forum (MESF), and Acting Director the Alfred Deakin Institute for Citizenship and Globalisation, Deakin University

Disclosure statement

Shahram Akbarzadeh does not work for, consult, own shares in or receive funding from any company or organisation that would benefit from this article, and has disclosed no relevant affiliations beyond their academic appointment.

Iran’s leadership has been a direct beneficiary of the months-long war in Gaza. With every missile that Israel fires on Gaza, every US veto of a UN Security Council ceasefire resolution, and every arrest of an anti-war protester on American university campuses, Iran’s rejection of the US-dominated world order gains more credibility in the Muslim world.

The ruling clerical regime in Iran has built its foreign policy on the pillar of anti-Americanism, rejecting what it frames as the “injustice” of US domination and “bullying” of other countries. Washington’s continued support for Israel’s war on Gaza in the face of an increasing international backlash has only reinforced this narrative.

While the US has tried to backtrack and signal that humanitarian considerations should guide Israel’s conduct of the war, the damage to US credibility has been done. Many around the world – and specifically in Muslim countries – do not see the belated US warnings to Israel as genuine.

And Tehran’s message of anti-Americanism is resonating with large segments of the public in the Muslim world.

In one regional opinion survey in late October, for instance, just 7% of respondents said the US had a positive impact on the war, compared to 40% who viewed Iran’s role as positive.

And in December, the highly respected Arab Barometer reported that approval ratings for the Iranian supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, had surpassed those of the Saudi crown prince and Emirati president.

This change in Iran’s standing in the region is being watched with concern by the political elite in the neighbourhood.

Iran’s image has been further enhanced by the fact it is the only Muslim state to attack Israel against the backdrop of public outrage over the war in Gaza.

The Iranian missile and drone attack on Israel on April 13 was calibrated to achieve two key objectives.

First, Iran’s leaders sought to preserve the country’s image as the self-appointed head of the “axis of resistance”, comprised of its proxies in the region – Hezbollah in Lebanon, the Houthis in Yemen and other militia groups in Iraq and Syria.

Iran also wanted to demonstrate the effectiveness of its deterrence model, which is based on the threat of retaliation against Israeli aggression through its proxy actors and expanding missile and drone technology.

Coming two weeks after the Israeli attack on its diplomatic mission in Damascus, Iran could not afford to outsource its response to its proxies. While Iran was clearly not ready to start a war with Israel, not responding in-kind to the Israeli attack would have made it look weak and seriously diminished its standing among its allies and proxy groups.

But Iran’s leaders sought to minimise the damage and mitigate the risk of escalation by warning Israel of its attack in advance through intermediaries. This way, Iran could save face without getting embroiled in an all-out war.

Iran’s second objective was to demonstrate to the world that it has the drone and missile technology to hit back at Israel, if it chooses.

For more than a decade, Iran has showcased its missiles during annual military parades to support its claim it can hit Israel if threatened. Its attack last month involved more than 300 drones and missiles. Notwithstanding the fact the damage was minimal, the attack was proof Iran now has the capacity to inflict pain on Israel.

Israel’s limited response to Iran suggests that war has been averted, much to the relief of neighbouring countries. But the long-term implications are more favourable for Iran. This show of strength has likely helped its rejectionist foreign policy find receptive ears in the Muslim world and beyond.

When Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi visited Pakistan on April 23, for example, he was greeted like a celebrity. This was ironic as, earlier this year, Iran and Pakistan had engaged in tit-for-tat aerial attacks.

The two countries agreed to boost bilateral trade to US$10 billion (A$15 billion) a year, about five times the current level. They also released a joint statement calling on the UN Security Council to take action against Israel, saying it had “illegally” targeted neighbouring countries and foreign diplomatic compounds.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi also offered a message of support to Iran, saying:

China noted Iran’s statement that its action was restrained and was an act of self-defence in response to the attack on its embassy.

What this could mean for the region

The implications of a more emboldened Iran for the region are severe. The Iranian authorities feel vindicated by the events of the last seven months. This means their anti-US and anti-Israel rhetoric will remain staunch as ever.

Iran’s drone and missile research and development program is also likely to receive a boost. And Iran’s support for its network of proxies and allies will remain firmly in place, as this enables the Iranian leadership to project power beyond its borders and retain its deterrence capability.

None of this bodes well for Iran’s neighbours. An ideologically energised Islamic regime in Iran would be less accommodating to regional concerns, particularly those aired by governments that have already normalised relations with Israel (such as the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain), or are believed to be heading in that direction (Saudi Arabia).

Moreover, the political credibility of many Arab leaders has suffered in the eyes of their citizens due to their perceived ineffectiveness in supporting the Palestinians in Gaza.

Iran’s leaders did not plan the series of events that started with the Hamas attacks on Israel on October 7. In fact, they were just as surprised by Hamas’ actions as the Israeli intelligence agencies. But they are the obvious beneficiary of the turn of events.

The United States and Israel are gifting Iran and its message of defiance enormous appeal, well beyond the imagination of Iranian authorities.
Sandstorm

No surprise here. USA always fucks up in the Middle East.
Rhubarb & Custard

Not that one could seriously claim Iran aren't seriously screwing up the ME. Running out of water, millions fleeing the country, a sadistic leadership, but sure, they gain 'credibility' by attacking Israel.

Some of the commentary around this isn't perhaps as one-sided as the Israeli reaction to the events of last October, but plenty are getting a pass on things many protesters would protest about even a fraction of when it comes to Israel.
Sandstorm

Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:28 am Not that one could seriously claim Iran aren't seriously screwing up the ME. Running out of water, millions fleeing the country, a sadistic leadership, but sure, they gain 'credibility' by attacking Israel.
Did you read the whole article properly? "Gaining credibility in the Muslim world...."
David in Gwent

It would appear the Guy Smiley can dish it out, but not take it.

I am very surprised.
David in Gwent

C69 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:17 pm My friends in Israel tell me HAMAS are on the verge of accepting a ceasefire.

Fingers crossed
:lol:
Guy Smiley

No, you’re not.

You’re not surprised, you are, as usual, entertained by your own take on things. At least someone is, I guess.
C69

David in Gwent wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:56 am

Fingers crossed
Well they accepted it seemingly but Israel did not.
Oh well shit happens
David in Gwent

C69 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:11 am
David in Gwent wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:56 am

Fingers crossed
Well they accepted it seemingly but Israel did not.
Oh well shit happens
Do you know the details of the proposed ceasefire?
petej

Sandstorm wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:50 am No surprise here. USA always fucks up in the Middle East.
No one can win. Middle East is full of religious dictatorships ran by arseholes. Netanyahu is very nearly conforming to that norm. Without the USA they will quite happily be killing each other at anyrate.
Calculon

Sandstorm wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:30 am
Rhubarb & Custard wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:28 am Not that one could seriously claim Iran aren't seriously screwing up the ME. Running out of water, millions fleeing the country, a sadistic leadership, but sure, they gain 'credibility' by attacking Israel.
Did you read the whole article properly? "Gaining credibility in the Muslim world...."
Are there any links to the actual polls that would lend credence to this statement? Traditionally Iran has been very unpopular amongst Arab countries and Turkey. Iran is also facing serious domestics issues and the regime is deeply unpopular at home

found this regarding Egypt

the current polling data showed that 86% of Egyptians disagreed with the statement that “Hamas should stop calling for the destruction of Israel and instead accept a permanent two-state solution to the conflict based on the 1967 borders.”

Likewise, an overwhelming majority (94%) believe that Hamas did not kill civilians on October 7. This significant change in Egyptian public attitude towards Hamas can be attributed to three factors: the eruption of the war in Gaza, the rapprochement between Hamas and the Egyptian regime following the violent incidents of East Jerusalem’s Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in 2021, and the softening of the Egyptian media discourse towards Hamas after the October 7 incidents.

Iran’s proxies, namely Hezbollah, remained deeply unpopular among Egyptians. Remarkably, the current poll shows that 79% of Egyptians voiced negative views about Hezbollah in Lebanon, while almost three-quarters agreed that "Iran, Hezbollah, the Houthis, and their other militia allies are actually unwilling or unable to help the Palestinians, no matter what they claim.
:sad:

https://www.washingtoninstitute.org/pol ... and-muslim
Last edited by Calculon on Tue May 07, 2024 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Calculon

]
Last edited by Calculon on Tue May 07, 2024 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
David in Gwent

Likewise, an overwhelming majority (94%) believe that Hamas did not kill civilians on October 7.
A similar view is help by the UK Muslim population.

No doubt aided and abetted by the conspiracy theories about the 7th shared by people like Guy Smiley.
Guy Smiley

This should be good….

What conspiracy theories do I harbour concerning Oct 7?
Rhubarb & Custard

Sandstorm wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:30 am
I skimmed perhaps most of it. And yes there's that context, but it's still a daft thing to say.

Far more interesting is the questionable domestic support the religious loons in the Israeli government have for their actions, and instead we get commentary that the religious loons running Iran are 'gaining credibility'. Anyone offering succour to religious loons should be derided
David in Gwent

David in Gwent wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:06 am
Guy Smiley wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:17 am
Enzedder wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:16 am You are correct, but I still think your point is a daft one.
So is yours considering Israel had a shitload of intel warning them of the impending attack and they did nothing and let it happen.
Conspiracy theory loon alert.
This one guy, this one.

Straight up Conspiracy theory.
Tichtheid

According to an article in the New York Times, Israeli officials had details of an attack plan, then they were aware of a day-long Hamas training exercise which followed the plan exactly, the plan was carried out on October the 7th.

The plan was seemingly dismissed as being something Hamas was not capable of carrying out

https://archive.is/TlIo3
David in Gwent

Tichtheid wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:47 pm According to an article in the New York Times, Israeli officials had details of an attack plan, then they were aware of a day-long Hamas training exercise which followed the plan exactly, the plan was carried out on October the 7th.

The plan was seemingly dismissed as being something Hamas was not capable of carrying out

Which is different from "let it happen on purpose"
Tichtheid

David in Gwent wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:06 pm
Tichtheid wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:47 pm According to an article in the New York Times, Israeli officials had details of an attack plan, then they were aware of a day-long Hamas training exercise which followed the plan exactly, the plan was carried out on October the 7th.

Guy didn't say "let it happen on purpose"

Personally I try not to go for conspiracy theories where human stupidity is a more plausible explanation. The IDF, or whoever decided Hamas was incapable, fucked up monumentally here.
Last edited by Tichtheid on Tue May 07, 2024 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C69

David in Gwent wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 1:06 pm

So incompetent rather than complicity seems to be plausible.