ROG lions v McRae - “ROG deserved it”

Where goats go to escape
Ymx

Duncan McRae reveals his side to horrendous O'Gara punch-up on 2001 Lions tour

Former Waratahs full back Duncan McRae has opened up on the infamous incident between him and Ireland legend Ronan O’Gara during the 2001 British & Irish Lions tour.

McRae was shown a red card and received a seven-week ban for assault after throwing several punches to O’Gara’s face while the fly-half lay on the floor.

The Australian joined Sean Maloney on Stan Sport show Between Two Posts and talked about what led to his actions at Sydney Football Stadium 20 years ago.

“I don’t know what I was doing near a ruck, firstly, because I was never there, but he (O’Gara) sort of came to elbow me and I’ve just caught his elbow straight in my face,” said McRae.

“I thought ‘f**k you’, and the same thing happened 15 minutes later. I’ve got up and seen him at the last second – elbows me straight in the face.

“I’ve just caught him and I’ve swung him under and he sort of ended up on the ground right under me. I just said to him, ‘what the f…. are you going to do, champ?’ And he’s just kicked me straight in the nuts so I’ve just pinned him and the rest is history.”

O’Gara, who made 128 appearances for Ireland over a 13-year period, later wrote about the incident in his autobiography.

“Two lacerations under my left eye needed eight stitches but the pain of that was nothing compared to the humiliation. Why didn’t I try to defend myself?,” wrote O’Gara.

“In the dressing room I was f**king raging. Raging with myself. Raging with McRae. When the game was over I wanted to go into their dressing room and have a cut off him.”

This game against the Brumbies went down in history as one of the biggest grudge matches in the history of professional rugby.
I missed this. Obviously swarm click bait

https://www.rugbydump.com/news/duncan-m ... ions-tour/
PCPhil

BS on a grand scale from MacRae. I watched the match, no provocation he just saw red mist.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
Uncle fester

This came out ages back. Try to be more current please.
Chilli

Ymx wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:17 am

Duncan McRae reveals his side to horrendous O'Gara punch-up on 2001 Lions tour

Former Waratahs full back Duncan McRae has opened up on the infamous incident between him and Ireland legend Ronan O’Gara during the 2001 British & Irish Lions tour.

McRae was shown a red card and received a seven-week ban for assault after throwing several punches to O’Gara’s face while the fly-half lay on the floor.

The Australian joined Sean Maloney on Stan Sport show Between Two Posts and talked about what led to his actions at Sydney Football Stadium 20 years ago.

“I don’t know what I was doing near a ruck, firstly, because I was never there, but he (O’Gara) sort of came to elbow me and I’ve just caught his elbow straight in my face,” said McRae.

“I thought ‘f**k you’, and the same thing happened 15 minutes later. I’ve got up and seen him at the last second – elbows me straight in the face.

“I’ve just caught him and I’ve swung him under and he sort of ended up on the ground right under me. I just said to him, ‘what the f…. are you going to do, champ?’ And he’s just kicked me straight in the nuts so I’ve just pinned him and the rest is history.”

O’Gara, who made 128 appearances for Ireland over a 13-year period, later wrote about the incident in his autobiography.

“Two lacerations under my left eye needed eight stitches but the pain of that was nothing compared to the humiliation. Why didn’t I try to defend myself?,” wrote O’Gara.

“In the dressing room I was f**king raging. Raging with myself. Raging with McRae. When the game was over I wanted to go into their dressing room and have a cut off him.”

This game against the Brumbies went down in history as one of the biggest grudge matches in the history of professional rugby.
I missed this. Obviously swarm click bait

https://www.rugbydump.com/news/duncan-m ... ions-tour/

You can't really blame him............................
PCPhil

No,….. but the provocation bit isn’t true.
“It was a pet, not an animal. It had a name, you don't eat things with names, this is horrific!”
Ymx

PCPhil wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:35 am No,….. but the provocation bit isn’t true.
I’m genuinely not trying to defend anyone, but why are you sure? Is there video showing it to have not happened?
Kawazaki

The only red card I got in my playing career was for punching a flyhalf. And that was in retaliation for him kicking me in the nuts as well. The funniest thing looking back was at the disciplinary when they asked me to explain in my own words what happened to which I replied, "I tackled the opposition 10 and as I got up and was standing over him he kicked out at my bollo... at my groin area so I swung a punch at him".
PCPhil

Ymx wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:53 am
PCPhil wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:35 am No,….. but the provocation bit isn’t true.
I’m genuinely not trying to defend anyone, but why are you sure? Is there video showing it to have not happened?
Just remember seeing the match. Didn’t see ROG get anywhere near him plus all the commentators (and even his own team) in total shock. He just got caught up in the aussie build up to that match. They lost the 1st test and the mood was to get stuck in as payback.
Lobby

PCPhil wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:28 am
Just remember seeing the match. Didn’t see ROG get anywhere near him plus all the commentators (and even his own team) in total shock. He just got caught up in the aussie build up to that match. They lost the 1st test and the mood was to get stuck in as payback.
The video of McRae’s attack on ROG is on YouTube. It’s not clear if there was any provocation (the attack begins off camera), but there was nothing at the time to suggest that ROG had instigated the attack. Indeed, McRae’s teammates seem as shocked by his behaviour as the Lions.

As I recall as he walked off he grinned at the crowd and gave them a thumbs up as if his behaviour was something to be proud off.

The rumour at the time was that ROG had been shagging his wife when McRae was at Saracens, and he was taking revenge.
Plim

Wasn’t there something between Martin Johnson and McRae from a while before? Might have been in an English domestic game. As I recall Johnson kneed him by way of letting him know that he’d get a pasting if he got out of hand.
Ymx

Ok, so nothing to clarify he didn’t do the elbow thing.
Ymx

Had a look on YouTube, and they both are off camera until the scuffle on the ground. So couldn’t tell either way from the footage.
Plim

The rumour at the time was that ROG had been shagging his wife when McRae was at Saracens, and he was taking revenge.

I remember that rumour. Thought it was bollocks then, and still do.
sefton

Seeing that tomato faced twat is provocation enough.
Niegs

sefton wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:02 pm Seeing that tomato faced twat is provocation enough.
It's this, at least.

ROG talking about going over to "have a cut off him" ... what a twat.

redderneck

Just love the amount of deflection and wishful victim blaming on this one. What McRae did is now, was then, and forever will be, unjustifiable and unforgivable. His career should have been handed to him by a proctologist.

I'd call him a shitstain, but that would give the nonentity more credit than he deserves.
Hugo

Agreed.

Its probably the worst thing I've ever seen on a rugby pitch. The incident is a very black mark on the game.
Kawazaki

Hugo wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:51 pm Agreed.

Its probably the worst thing I've ever seen on a rugby pitch. The incident is a very black mark on the game.

Plenty worse just in the years since that tour let alone the dark years before. Any eye gouging is worse for example.
Dogbert

Nah , Even as far as the Lions concerned nowhere near the worst

The Bosman stamp on Doddie Weir's knee in 1997 was much , much worse.

Not only did it end Weir's tour , it could easily have ended Weir's career.

The bit in the dressing room afterwards where the realisation of the consequences of the injury dawns on Weir is heartbreaking

https://www.rugbydump.com/news/the-hear ... -thuggery/
Lager & Lime - we don't do cocktails
Hugo

Kawazaki wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:02 pm

Plenty worse just in the years since that tour let alone the dark years before. Any eye gouging is worse for example.
True, got a little carried away because after watching it again blood started boiling. He even trots off the pitch grinning like a cheshire cat.
Openside

TBH if McRae had done after the second Lions test in 2009 I would have held McRae’s coat for him whilst he did it the pea-hearted shite!!
Last edited by Openside on Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
C69

I hate Rog but that was an utter disgrace.
Ruddy faced cunt
Ymx

I remember thinking at the time it was a pre-planned hit. Deliberate to unsettle the lions. (Or Henry secretly paid him to).

Or maybe ROG genuinely elbowed him, get an early “cut off him.”

What does “cut off him” actually mean? Never heard it before. Is it traveller talk?
redderneck

Not traveller speak. Just 'country' Irish slang for lashing out at someone/taking them on physically. Presume it stems from hurling, where the equivalent of a soccer/football throw-in to restart play after the sliotar (ball) has gone out of play, is known as a 'sideline cut.' Sliotar on the ground and player strikes cleanly with his hurl, like playing a fairway iron shot. Which more than likely stems from an action/motion linked to wielding a slean, a turf-cutting tool, when lifting turf/peat from bogland, for fuel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Ru2L4u0Qk
Torquemada 1420

Niegs wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:21 pm
sefton wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:02 pm Seeing that tomato faced twat is provocation enough.
It's this, at least.

McRae is clearly trying to rewrite history but then so is ROG. In rugby terms he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.
Paddington Bear

Lobby wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:55 am
PCPhil wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:28 am

The video of McRae’s attack on ROG is on YouTube. It’s not clear if there was any provocation (the attack begins off camera), but there was nothing at the time to suggest that ROG had instigated the attack. Indeed, McRae’s teammates seem as shocked by his behaviour as the Lions.

As I recall as he walked off he grinned at the crowd and gave them a thumbs up as if his behaviour was something to be proud off.

They pretty clearly had been given instructions to go out and get as many Lions out of the tour as possible. It's one of the many reasons I'm not that fussed about the Lions. Good for pub chat as to the best side but beyond that? Meh.
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot, But he'll remember with advantages, What feats he did that day
Hugo

Paddington Bear wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:02 pm They pretty clearly had been given instructions to go out and get as many Lions out of the tour as possible. It's one of the many reasons I'm not that fussed about the Lions.
There certainly seems to be a hyperviolent edge to Lions tours that brings out the worst in rugby players.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Ymx wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:52 pm Ok, so nothing to clarify he didn’t do the elbow thing.
That's not true. You have PCPhil's crystal-clear 21-year-old memory of the event.
redderneck

Torquemada 1420 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:06 pm
Niegs wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:21 pm
It's this, at least.

McRae is clearly trying to rewrite history but then so is ROG. In rugby terms he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag.
ROG is rueing not having stood up for himself more/better - whether anyone on God's earth thinks he would have been capable of doing so, is irrelevant. He's regretting actions he didn't take, not seeking to rewrite history. McShitstain is the only one guilty of that. Compounding his craven act. Further proof, as if any was needed, of the calibre of the sleeveen.

There is no mitigation. None. Man's a cnut.
happytramp

No way. That time the two New Zealand guys killed BOD with a spear tackle was way worse. He actually died.
derriz

redderneck wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:36 pm There is no mitigation. None. Man's a cnut.
20 years later and the prick is inventing shit to avoid admitting any fault of his own. A simple “ogara is an annoying prick and in the heat of the moment I lost it completely” - and you’d almost go fair enough. The lack of any self awareness suggests he’s a psycho.
sefton

But it was ROG, no jury would find him guilty.
PCPhil

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:17 am
Ymx wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:52 pm Ok, so nothing to clarify he didn’t do the elbow thing.
That's not true. You have PCPhil's crystal-clear 21-year-old memory of the event.
I agree. What event?
Ymx

derriz wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:29 pm
redderneck wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:36 pm There is no mitigation. None. Man's a cnut.
20 years later and the prick is inventing shit to avoid admitting any fault of his own. ….
Up to this point, I wasn’t clear which of them you were talking about?

:wink:
Ymx

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:17 am
And adding this conclusive evidence it didn’t happen from others …

The video of McRae’s attack on ROG … there was nothing at the time to suggest that ROG had instigated the attack

They pretty clearly had been given instructions to go out and get as many Lions out of the tour as possible”

McRae should have been on death row.

Anyway, bloody insomnia !!!
lemonhead

Let the tomato hate commence.

Interviews during and after. NSW went all out to kick skulls that day but we ignored the cheap shot c#nt when he came to Thomond.
Ymx

I personally don’t get the tomato hate.

Plus as he’s a little bit crusader, he’s now a better human being.
Ymx

In terms of face punch ability.

There are others way higher in pecking order

Lobby

Ymx wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:48 am In terms of face punch ability.

There are others way higher in pecking order

Sexton and Farrell haven’t single-handedly lost a Lions series in five minutes on the pitch unlike the pea-hearted gobshite.
lemonhead

Again though, the guy's almost one of the very last I'd describe in those terms.

Never shirked a tackle even though he got thrown around like wet laundry, never bottled out of a difficult kick. Always backed himself. Those qualities turned against him over time when he wasn't good for shit anymore.

Watch the exchange before he sends that garryowen up. A genuine pea heart would do what Bowe does, urge on and/or give thumbs up then slowly drift off into the audience. Sadly, he did not.